2008-12-07 07:37:27

Well, i decided to try Klango, and I'm afraid it's quite a disaster.

I start the program and here Sapi but no sound, then go to logue in and get nothing.

Alternatively, there's a "start in Dx mode" option, which gets me sound and no sapi.

apparently it's been having problems with realtec sound cards, ---- which mine is, ---- though this is the first time I've come up against an audio application that has (and that's counting highly 3D stuff like Monkey business and Sarah).

So sadly no media for me, ---- or anything else for that matter.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-12-07 17:37:41

if you're using xp try this. 1. in the run dialog type "dxdiag" without the quotes and in the audio tab lower the hardware acceleration to about 33 percent.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2008-12-07 18:12:30 (edited by fly 2008-12-08 22:56:09)

Definitely Klango does go! smile

The problem with Realteks is known for us for a some time, and (as for now) there is one solution for it - the one I've post you via support ticket.

So, when your Realtek behaves strange in Klango, please don't give up guys, just try to lower sound card's hardware acceleration in Windows' Control Panel. That's a temporary solution ...until we'll find a better one.

From technical point of view, it seems that Realteks (like no other sound cards) don't like our streaming procedures. We stream everything directly to (DirectX/OpenAL) hardware 3d audio buffers, even sapi 5 output, and apparently Realteks can't handle that. However, some additional tests could be done. smile

greetings,
  Maciek

2008-12-07 18:23:43

Hi Maciek.

Actually, a suggestion I got from audeasy fixed the problem very well, it just took changing my window speaker environment from surround sound to 2.1 sterrio, so I now have Klango running (in fact, very literally now as I'm writing this, lol).

I certainly like what I see of the player so far, particularly the media catalogue and streaming options, ---- though I do have a couple of questions about adding podcast audiobooks to the catalogue, but I've already asked them in the Klango forum so won't ask again here.

I'll deffinately be interested to see what gets added next.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-12-07 19:36:55

Just a little remark...

Please don't rely on ReadMe document, it's a little bit outdated.
Explore the program by yourself (press alt for context menu at any time), and if you wish to read about features, please refer to Klango Player ChangeLog which is always up-to-date.

and... spread the word! ;)

2008-12-08 01:58:11

Thanks. As far as spreading the word goes, I'm planning to replace the "salan Klango" page on the database about the general Klango environment with a page about the Klango player, sinse it's already running two games and will probably end up running more as time goes on I expect.

2008-12-08 10:06:42

Hi Maciek.

Are you gonna release Clango Player for Macintosh in the future? There are a lot of blind users including me who has switched to Mac, and it would be awesome to have a Mac version of Clango player. If you have a Mac version in mind, a text version would be fine for me. I don't need the build in speech to read the text in the program. It would be fine if it just works with Voiceover.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-12-09 11:24:21

Hi,

Good news: in the new version of Klango, there will be a fix which should eliminate Realtek problems.

These soundcards are really crappy. Hundreds of pages tell about "realtek problems". Even class-A titles like Crisis or The Witcher don't work well with Realteks. If you're going to purchase a new laptop (or a mainboard), better think twice and get a better soundcard.

One more thing:

SLJ wrote:

Are you gonna release Clango Player for Macintosh in the future? ... a text version would be fine for me.

Sorry, we do not plan mac version for now, but recently we've started thinking about Klango 3 and ...who knows? If K3 will be released (at all), it will contain serious changes in graphical user interface - two or three different modes of operation, and text only mode will be one of them, for sure. It's always easier to port an application with simplified GUI ...so, we'll see. Creating a native Mac or Linux version would cost some work but it's possible. We don't cross it out.
btw: we tested Klango on Linux (wine) and there was only one problem - use of sapi.

greetings,
  Maciek

2008-12-09 21:56:42

I hope it doesn't break anything on my end. I have a realtek soundcar built on to my mother board of my system and klango works fine. I found that the directx player doesn't work as well as the other one on my system for some reason. I completely forgot about using the directx version of klango because it just don't work well at all. my major complaint about my realtek card is when I unplug my xm before booting up. It sees that there is nothing in the line-in jack and mutes any audio going to my speakers, but still allows sound to go to the earphone jack on the main box. very strange. this isn't the place for me to complain about my sound card, but I wish you lots of luck on that next release of klango.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-12-10 05:38:57

Hey fly,

Why not include a lightweight synth like espeak (espeak.sf.net) with Klango? Advantages: no sapi necessary (perhaps it can run under wine) and user doesn't have to worrry about sapi being installed on a system they might want to use klango on via thumbdrive, plus voice preferences could be kept along with everything else.  BTW, does the new version of klango (with all its directory changes) support thumbdrives - would I be able to successfully run klango off of one on any random computer (with sapi... espeak baby!)

James