2008-12-04 00:35:36

I took a look at the klango player. it looks like it is mostly a social platform. Am I missing something? It looks like the ones who created it tried to do a little all in one social platform/media player thing.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-12-04 00:43:27

Principley yes, though I have heard the media player searching capacities are good.

It does however also have a couple of small games written specifically for it right now, dice poker (Yahtsie), and a long jump sim.

some people, including Liam Urven though are talking about writing more apparently.

hopefully I'll be able to let you know more when i've actually tried it (it's on the list of stuff I need to try out, then review for the site).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-12-04 01:10:12

OK. I'll try those games when ever I bring it back up on this machine. Thanks. I was hoping I missed something a little more. I think I'll take a little closer look.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-12-04 01:53:39

I must admit, I wasn't entirely enthusiastic, sinse all the things it does, brousing sites, getting audio, going on forums etc, are things i can do myself anyway with Hal or other programs.

From the sound of it though, they're working on many new features and adding stuff all the time, so it's probably worth keeping an eye on at the least.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-12-06 08:25:48

The Klango Media Catalog is a frighteningly convenient way to listen to tons of audio (or video thanks to integrated youtube search).  Regarding game creation: the API is not at all documented, though they put up a short intro for developers a little less than a month ago. Not enough info there to do more than pop up a few cute message boxes and play a sound or two, but judging by the old klango 9klangogames.com) and it's extensive API this one will have lots of features necessary for audiogame creation. You still have to code everything (even though Lua, the language of choice is arguably a lot easier to learn than something like C++) so those expecting an intuitive audiogamemekaer-style interface can now lose all hope and nose that grindstone.

James

2008-12-06 11:53:05

At the same time, from what I've seen and heard Lua is moderately understandable to us mere mortals who've never even delved into C++.

This is why it's currently the Hal scripting language tool as well.

The hugeness and quickness of the Klango catalogue is indeed something I've heard many good things about, though again, thanks to Hal's flash compatibility and winamp, brousing for audio or indeed utube video is sort of getting to be routine now, ---- though I admit if it has podcatching software I'd be interested.

It's something I'm going to have to try anyway I think for game review purposes, and I'll see what I think then.

Oh btw, Trenton from the audeasy list did say he was setting up some audio games related discussion on there. Last I heard he was working on getting the original doss eamon text rpg adventures running comfortably, so it'd be worth checking out.

He did invite me to join, but I've just been highly taken up with work on the site, and on my Phd, and on the performance I'm currently in, and playing some text adventures as well!

Yee Gods I wish I had a cloning machine!

2008-12-07 18:43:47

ItsAConspiraZ wrote:

(...) You still have to code everything (...)

Yes, it's true, you have to code your program wink but Klango gives a highest possible interface to audio, input, user interface, web and so on. In conjunction with great expresivness of Lua, it's really simple to create own programs. Of course, there is one assuption - one should posses at least basic programming skills.

Klango (as a programming environment) shouldn't be compared to any game maker, because it's not a game maker. It would be cool to create one using Klango API, but this issue is rather off topic here.

greetings,
  Maciek