2018-10-16 06:19:27 (edited by musicalman 2018-10-16 06:22:14)

Hi everyone,
A friend and I wanted to play each other on Palace Punchup, but we cannot connect to each other.

Palace Punchup Manual wrote:

When hosting a game, it is important that you open port 9995 for UDP traffic in your router or modem as other players will not be able to connect to you otherwise. How you do this depends entirely on what router or modem you use, but is almost always done through the administration interface and usually resides under a heading called "Port Forwarding". In order for another person to connect to you, you must give them your public IP address. This can be found by visiting sites such as www.whatismyip.com and www.showmyip.com.

First of all the manual is 8 years out of date so the latter sight for IP address retrieval doesn't seem to exist anymore. The first one does, though. So we tried it but the other person was never able to connect, whether I gave him my IP and tried to host a game, or if he tried to host and gave me his IP. And yes, we both used IP V4 addresses.

My friend says he was able to enable port forwarding on his router on port 9995 as specified in the manual. Neither of us are technical enough in this sort of thing to verify the change actually took effect. Even after this, we were still unable to connect to each other, whether I hosted or he did. I have yet to figure out how to setup port forwarding properly on my router, but I'm assuming that I don't have to worry about port forwarding if he hosts a game and I am trying to connect to him? The manual seems to imply that port forwarding is only necessary for hosting a game, not connecting to a hosted game.

This isn't the only program requiring IP addresses for connectivity which I have had trouble with, so I am hoping that the problem has more to do with me and or network configurations than the programs themselves.

I'm not too keen on reading technical articles to sort this because I know nothing about this stuff and have very low attentativeness for it, but I do want to figure something out. I do wish that these sorts of things would just work, or at least could be a little more dummy-oriented smile. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-10-16 06:35:50

Hi,
This is true, the one who is hosting the game is the one who needs to open the port.
2 things, either your friend didn't forward the port correctly, or most likely the isp has blocked port forwarding.
Yes, isp can block port forwarding, usually it's only on 4g connections though.

2018-10-16 09:42:07

Make sure it's passed through windows firewall as well, it's easy to forget. Or that the router firewall isn't blocking it.

2018-10-16 13:58:31

I have a Pace PLC router, and even though it's letting me open ports 15000 and 15001 for example, it is still not accepting the test connection between my mac and my unused dell machine for Manamon. Although I will say that what I haven't yet done is try on a separate network, although I certainly could considering I did try connecting to the public IPV4 address which is obviously the address of the gateway that *should* get natted to the computer the port forward is directed to.