2018-10-04 17:21:35

I mean...(I can't believe I'm saying this. I'm the last person I would ever expect to say this, but...) If you don't want to continue with Skype, I suppose Discord is an option, or really any other preferred competitor. Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly, after all. Leaving Skype is a viable option.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-10-04 23:12:46

Can discord act as a normal IM client, or do you have to connect to some server, go to some room, hope the person you want to talk to is in that room on that server, etc? I know that sounded more like TeamTalk, lol.

2018-10-05 00:30:13

Skype 8 is horrible on macOS. The interface is clunky and VoiceOver repeats the text of your chat message as you type each character. I've reported this to Microsoft, but they haven't fixed it yet. I would ditch Skype right now, but I've got a few people who still use it.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-10-05 04:36:49

Discrimination,
Noun,
the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, sex, or disability.
Sound familiar? That is what Microsoft is doing, in case you didn't know.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2018-10-05 16:45:20 (edited by Jaseoffire 2018-10-05 16:46:05)

Discord can indeed be used as an IM client. As far as saying Microsoft is being descriminitory, I wouldn't go that far. I'm more inclined to call the issue a matter of incompetence.
(edit) Oh and probably greed. Probably, anyways.

I have a website now.

2018-10-05 17:18:45

come on guys! discord     instead as skype?   even if anyone would do that,  how would you move all those skype users you know to discord?

2018-10-05 17:31:50

Some people just put in the mood message that they are moving from Skype to Discord and give out there Discord username and number for their friends to find them. Or, if you've already got a collection of friends that want to move to discord, you can do what my friends did to me, and just say that you are moving to discord and they should come along. Microsoft keeps this up, most people are going to leave Skype, anyways. Discord is probably the second best option at the moment.

I have a website now.

2018-10-05 17:41:59

Meh, discord is not even accessible to the point that we can comfortably use.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-10-06 14:09:44

descord is same team talk. And who know where i can download fucking shit 8? i mean skype 8

Yours kindly

2018-10-06 16:39:38

I will of course have to upgrade, but there was a set of sounds I made for skype which cannot be used with the latest version at all. Shame on microsoft for trashing my efforts.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2018-10-06 16:52:03

If no one else use Skype anymore, I will use it! Seriously guys, just deal with it. Learn something new isn't a bad idea at all, at least for me.

2018-10-07 07:54:03

As I usually stick to skype, guess I'll just have to live with it.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-10-07 08:05:33

For me, it isn't so much learning something new that bothers me about the new Skype. It's more that it sounds like they made Skype annoying to use, and are once again trying to force it on everyone while it's still annoying to use. How annoying it is to use is going to be subjective of course, but if it doesn't have split view anymore, that's going to be very annoying. They claim they're looking into adding it to skype 8, but who really knows how long it'll take.

2018-10-07 11:34:06

i wasn't using it on pc anymore. But for mobile devices it's bad

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2018-10-07 14:59:07

Lol. Some of you folks are treating this like Microsoft hates us all...hint: they don't. I can see their reasoning of why they don't want to support skype 8, seriously, bare with me, it's probably something a person about to report MS to the ADA hasn't thought of yet. You have more constant ever-changing platforms than ever now, especially Apple for that matter. So every time there's something new it has to be added into all five distributions of Skype. Fr om a business standpoint, that's impractical, though certainly nothing is stopping them from hiring a team of contract developers for each platform, ready and willing to develop the version on their own respective platform and not having to worry about all of them at once. But they won't, probably to save money I guess. Skype8 accessibility has gotten better. Is it as good as 7? No, not yet at least. But is is a bit more usable? Yes. Where it falls short is that lack of native support for each platform, so the app is subject to the constraints of each platform, and VoiceOver sucks at dealing with those kinds of apps. And it isn't getting any better since VoiceOver can't be scripted. So no, Microsoft certainly does not deserve to be reported to the ADA, and the person who actually tried that is simply delusional.
First of all, the ADA has been soft at work in this day and age, so you're probably more likely to win the loddo than to actually get a response and some action from them. Lol!
Second, seriously? Seriously. You're really gonna play the entitled blindy card? Here's where I'll stress the importance of accessibility vs usability. Are all the page elements labeled? Yes. Can you control the program accessibly? Yes. Can you control it as easily? No, but it's still accessible, right? Here's where we draw the line. The program is accessible but not as efficient. Ideally, the interface should be accessible and efficient. But the reality is that it isn't, because of platform constraints plus the inability for web apps to ever truly be native. Hey if anyone deserves to be reported to the ADA it's Apple, and I don't even think what they're doing qualifies for a report. Their lack of regard for voiceover on the mac for the last two major versions...or should I say update patches because the mac itself isn't getting much love anyhow. the inability for Voiceover to be scripted *if a screenreader isn't scriptable, you've already lost me.* But even on IOS it's been stagnating, and now we have them removing touch ID, truly not giving two shits about the consumers. Well, at least not the blind braille-using consumers especially since the ability to use the phone without taking it out of your pocket is a big deal, and now you're forced to look at the phone. But they've made it clear they don't care about the customers, look at all the things they've removed years before everyone else. Rather than improving Bluetooth, they've made their own proprietary chipset. They lock you into stuff that's theirs and theirs alone. Something tells me once the iPhone goes fully wireless that iTunes for windows won't be a thing. It's a mystery to me how some people are still riding this train that's bound to go off the rails, and still trolling the people who object to one or two of Apple's ways. This is so, so far off from what Steve Jobs wanted Apple to be. Oh yeah and where's our open source facetime god damn it! Oh that's right, it won't happen anymore because you used proprietary standards and refuse to release it as open source, against Jobs's will. Yeah ,we remember.

Anyway, back to Skype 8. Lol!

2018-10-07 15:00:38

Also, this is important which is why it's in a separate post. One of the reports suggested that Skype 7 won't actually have a sunset on 11/1, it will just be officially discontinued support-wise then. So if you're inclined to use Skype 7, by all means use it. Of course it will be subject to functional degradation and eventually stop working some time down the road.

2018-10-07 15:11:39

Hi all, i thought i might also have some thing to say:
there is not much we can do to get skype 7 back, accept for complaining, but i guess it won't help at all.
skype 7 was also a favourite of mine, but i am upgrading to 8 at the moment to get use to it for when skype 7 is being discontinued. let's just keep using skyp as it is, hope fully all will get better

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-10-12 11:26:54

So guys, after I got this Skype 8 installed, is there a way to close it? I can't seems to close from the system tray. When I press applications key on the Skype icon from the system tray, NVDA just says menu sub menu. On Skype 7 there is a different story to this.

Any ideas?

2018-10-12 11:58:26

2 ways to do what you want. 1. The system tray thing is an electron bug, you can use object navigation to navigate it and quit that way. Or, a faster way, focus skype and press ctrl q.

2018-10-12 12:13:49

Thanks for that tip. didn't know that.

2018-10-12 17:25:44 (edited by Ethin 2018-10-12 17:30:32)

@40, actually, the ADA does not specify anywhere within it that an app needs to be accessible. It does not specify anywhere within it that an app developer must make their app accessible. The only things it covers are our basic needs: employment opportunities, non-discrimination, etc. Reporting something like Skype to the ADA is just giving them more fuel to either catch you out in purgery, which is a federal crime, or getting pissed off at you and kicking your ass some other way. If you like the nice shiny look of a prison cell, go right ahead and file all the reports you want. And as for the rest of you who are within the delusional mindset that MS hates us all, grow up, act like mature adults and deal with it. The world is not here to cater to your every need, whim and desire. That means that Microsoft is under no obligation, whatsoever, to make Skype 8 accessible. There is no legal requirement that states that they must do this. Yet they do. Why? Because they want to. So stop acting like its the end of the world because a deprecated version of Skype is being even more deprecated, deal with it and move on. Remember, you are not entitled to anything when it comes to computers. If MS wanted to they could make windows entirely inaccessible and say 'fuck all the blind people' and it'd go over perfectly fine except in particular areas like employment where windows is required to do your jobs. You are not entitled to NVDA, Skype, Steam, and so on, nor are you entitled to their accessibility.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-10-12 17:49:45

skype8 works well for me, I use JAWS scripts available for skype8(electron) and there's an NVDA add-on as well, so you guys should also upgrade to it, it's working awesome. You can find them here

2018-10-12 20:23:27

I've toyed with the idea of trying it out, but the lack of split window view at this time is really a showstopper for me. Also I hear that there are instances where audio notifications don't go through so you can actually miss when someone is trying to chat with you. Not incredible at all. Finally, I really don't want to use something that's going to hog a ton of resources because of Electron. That was the worst decision they could have made, in my opinion. Electrons' good for some things that don't need to run constantly, but Skype is something that's running constantly.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

2018-10-13 20:18:37 (edited by BlindJedi 2018-10-13 20:23:33)

@40, you said voiceover is non-scriptable, what about apple script? Its limited sure, and it can be buggy, but it is there. Things like the flotools scrips for pro tools were created using that I believe.
As for skype, I never really found 7 to be very easy to use on my pc, but on mac and ios it was pretty good. Having said that though I never really used it much, and really don't know anyone who does. Everyone I know uses discord now. So your probably all best to just stop complaining and move on with life. Maybe in the future microsoft will fix some of the apparent issues of skype 8, but for now either deal with the changes or just switch to discord. Or, If your too scared to do that, as its obvious most blind people for whatever reason don't like change, just keep using skype 7. Having no updates or patches doesn't mean you still can't use it, Jack already pointed this out but nobody seemed to notice so I'm doing so as well.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2018-10-13 21:06:14

Hmm. Can Discord be used like an IM client and allow you to talk to people one on one? I was under the impression that you had to go onto specific servers or something like TeamTalk.

Also I don't really think it's that people don't like change. It's that people don't like change for the sake of change, myself included. If something works well, why screw it up? For me personally, I get really pissed when I'm basically told that I should just shut up and deal with achange because that's just how it is. If I want to continue to do something the way I've been doing it, how dare someone force me to do it a diferent way. Screw that noise. Lol. Now if a change is absolutely necessary, I can understand even if it's annoying.