2018-10-03 19:08:34

I'm in 8th grade, and I've  got an SA to write, but I just don't have the comitment and I can't stay on track so i can't think of any ideas. Does anyone go threw this and how the hell do i fix it! rofl, need help though, please!
The SA is writing a story about a hero. We're supposed to  make our own plot, characters, hero, and it's gotta be like, 3 or more pages i think. I'm not a good writer unless it's something I have ideas for or can easily make ideas for, like things i'm interested in.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-10-03 19:12:47

Basically, think of heroes you know, twist the events and personality and build from there.

2018-10-03 19:24:20

Try to convince the teacher to give you an assignment that you're confident you're going to succeed in.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-10-03 20:45:40

why don't you take an idea from an audio game? or an rpg? or perhaps take another story you have read and narrate the story from the other character's perspective. Or you could talk about an event you had with family, or whatever and make that a story with different characters. Tv is also full of this stuff.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-03 21:38:48 (edited by flackers 2018-10-03 21:43:33)

The first thing you want to do is get the basic outline of the story. Just steal one from something you enjoyed. If your hero is male, is he going to have to kill a dragon to rescue a girl? So you need to think about the main points: how does the hero know about the girl in the first place; where is she being held; how is the dragon guarding her; how is the hero going to defeat it. Once you've thought of or better yet stolen a basic storyline, you need to divide it into three parts. Spend the first part describing the environment, the characters, and the situation. Imagine the place where the hero and the girl live and describe it. Imagine what the characters are like and describe them: use real people and places as a guide. If you're really good at characterisation, this is also where you'd make the hero likable and the villain not. Part 2 is where the bad guy ruins the good guy's life in some way, and appears to have the upper hand. Really give the good people we like a shitty time. Part 3 is where you have the people we're rooting for triumph and everyone lives happily ever after. Of course, if you want to write something original and interesting, don't do any of this, but if you just want to bang out something for English class...

2018-10-04 01:46:24

You should try expanding your interests and study more unusual things, you'd be surprised by all the weird things there are in life.

Case in point, even among the sighted there are varying degree's of vision, while this seems fairly obvious what actually i'm talking about is perception of the visual spectrum. Most people are [Trichomats], which is to say they have 3 channels in their eye's for color perception. However, some people are [Tetrachromats] and have 4 channels, this allows them to percieve things like edges of the ultra-violet spectrum, and richer more sensative color differentiation, birds and insects are typically Tetrachromats, and flowers and plants usually take advantage of this to attract them for pollination.

There are varying degree's on this perceptual scale, including Monochromats who only percieve one channel of color, such as a recent case involving an [sildnafil] drug overdose damaging a persons vision so they can only percieve the color red, to [Pentachromats] who have 5 channels.

But as interesting as these things are, whats truly interesting are the unusual exceptions to these things, like the [Mantis Shrimp]. The Mantis Shrimp is a rare dodecachromat, what does that mean? It means it has unbelievable x-ray WTF-vision thats what it means. While a human or other mammal may have 3 or 4 color channel vision and two eyes for depth perception, the Mantis Shrimp has 12 to 16 channels including deep ultra violet perception, trinocular depth perception in each eye, and various light filters. Do you know what they use that vision for? Shrimp things. Life is truly strange.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-10-04 01:49:28

At 3, unless that teacher is either high as fuck, or the OP is lucky enough to go to a really progressive school, I highly doubt that idea will work. You don't get alternate assignments just because they're haaaaaard. You do your homework like everyone else or suffer the consequences. Now, personally, I think homework is a sham, and the educational system in America, at least, has gone so far off the rails that it's long been a raging, fiery wreck that everyone from politicians to parents to students themselves are too intimidated to tame, but one person making a stand and saying they want a different assignment isn't going to do a lot. By all means, ask for help, as you've done here. but don't expect miracles. If that were a real thing, I bet 99% of kids wouldn't take math classes.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-10-04 03:04:36 (edited by Chris 2018-10-04 03:09:49)

I wish I'd been given an essay prompt like that. I've got a bunch of ideas floating around in my head now. Most of them would be far longer and more detailed than a few pages, but they're there.

Try to come up with your own plot  and characters. What are you into? is it fantasy or something more realistic? From there, flesh out the story and start writing based on what genre you like. This is easier said than done. I used to love writing, so this stuff comes easily to me. If I was writing this, I'd go with a fantasy element. Something like the following.

An evil sorcerer from a parallel universe kidnaps the hero's girlfriend as he plans to break the barriers between the worlds. His plan is to rule over all universes. Maybe it's cliche, but I like it and could probably come up with some interesting twists if I sat down and thought about it for long enough. I actually want to write this at some point, so I'll keep this in mind.

Let your creativity shine with this essay. I never got this type of prompt and had to write dry essays. The education system is flawed in so many ways.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-10-04 04:05:08

Write it like you're writing a fanfiction, with characters you already know you enjoy and that can help you get the juices flowing.  When you've written the fanfiction, then pull out the names of characters that are form the game, anime, whatever you used and make up original character names.  Tons of authors have done this, and it defs helps with writers block for churning out a quick assignment which really 3 pages would probably be about the length of a 1 shot in fanfic circles.

2018-10-04 05:39:47

@3 fwaaaaaaaaaaaat? Hey teach, I think this is kinda hard, can ya like... gimme summin else to do?

Writing can be hard, its like, if you have some ides, and can get a flow going, it is usually less of an effort to keep that flow going than it is to start actually writing in the first place. I am the worst example, when I write, i just do it, I don't think of anything prematurely, I may have let the subcon mull things over a bit, but all I really have are vague, undefined shadows, i let the characters develop as they will. But my advice for you would be come up with individual plot points, probably start with a beginning and end, then start adding the points in the middle. What if someone else kills your hero, and now they're the main hero, then add the points that help get you to there. This is an outline, or notes, or something you can call on when you're writing to make sure you're doing it the way you intend.

Spell check it, proof it with two different synths, and if you have access to one, a braille display. Then have a sighted person look it over.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-04 07:40:13

I'm not sure what in america a ""sa" is but frankly I'd have loved an assignment like that.
I've always personally loved making up my own stories, and now am writing myself regularly so I'm probably not the person to give advice.

However, if writing isn't your thing that's fair enough, though unfortunately in this instance it sounds like you need to have a crack at it anyway.

One of the fundamentally basic rules for a story, (and one of the differences between a story and a poem), is that a story has to have plot.
You have to have things one way at the start of a story, and another way at the end, so my advice would be to first decide on where your setting your story, who your protagonist is, and what thing is going to change in the course of the story.

I'd personally suggest steering clear of huge plots that require lots of time space and character, including the generic kidnapped girl/romance angle, or world distroying villains, since you probably don't have the time or inclination to write them in enough detail to be effective, EG unless you have something interesting to do with the kidnapped girl or can write a convincing relationship, just having her as rescue bate probably wouldn't work.
Just go with something simple, EG a single monster encounter if its a typical fantasy, an encounter with a single type of alien if its an sf story, a single bit of mangling if its a time travel story etc.

You don't even have to go with the idea of a villain or obstacle at all, maybe its about someone who realises something about themselves, or learns something that changes them.
One of the finest short stories ever written Shirly Jackson's "the Lottery" is simply about the lottery of the title,  very disturbing ritual carried on in a small village, and its only at the end you realise the rather worrying point of this ritual

Once you've decided what your basic idea for the story is, your central premise, then decide where the start point is, and where the end point is, with a vague idea of how you get from one to the other.
EG, you begin with the couple driving into the creepy town, then you know your going to end with the bed in their hotel room growing teeth and munching them both up, or you begin with the knight riding up the cliff to fight the dragon and rescue the princess, and know your going to end with the fact that the princess was actually a sorceress who was in command of the dragon all the time.

Once you know where your starting and where your ending, then basically all you need to do is connect the dots.

This is what I tend to do, I have a vague idea of where things are going and then I just splurge! then I check through many times.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-04 08:35:16

You can find inspiration anywhere you go really, if you're open and aware. Even the slightest can turn into something bigger. Ernist Hammingway created the old man and the sea just by listening to folks talk. You're not him, but nothing in the world says you can't be like him.
Like a literature once said to me when I wasted two weeks in the psych ward. She said, "Take this as your good time to learn and gather knowledge for yourself. Get everything you can and give it your best once you get out. Not everyone has the same chance and experience as you."

Now question for all. I know it's possible, sometimes even easy to be inspire. But how do you guys fix it when your lack of motivation comes from everyhing in your mind? you feel dull and rutted, and no matter how hard you try, your inspiration just doesn't flourish. In other word, how do you fix it when your lack of motivation comes from something mental, like depression? I'd relaly like to know since I'm having this problem to an extreme myself, and I can barely push further no matter what and how hard I try.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-10-04 13:37:06

I have a similar issue myself Mata as regards depression.

What I've been doing over the past few days is taking some advice from Stephen King.
He writes 1000 words a day. It doesn't matter if its crap, it doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense. He writes because the act of writing is itself cathartic and helps to get creativity moving.

I've not quite managed 1000 yet myself, usually more like between 500 and 800, but I have a story (actually a short story/novella), and its coming together. Admittedly I have the advantage of having just finished a phd, and not! having to write about ethical concepts of disability and be able to write about weerd aliens instead is  more fun big_smile.

One major issue I do have is wondering whether my writing is any good, whether I@m just talking crap and giving up in disgust. This is a real problem and I've only found two ways around it.
First, I have a very intelligent and honest wife who is more than happy to read what I write and tell me what she thinks I need to fix. She already does this with my book reviews and has started doing it with my story too.

Second, recently I read a really! really! crappy book. (if anyone is wondering it was Mort(e) by Robert Repino).

It was honestly one of the cruddiest things I've ever read. Opinionated, slow, depressing, with a deus ex ending, characters who were utterly dislikeable, ----- the review should be appearing on fantasybookreview.co.uk soon.

Whenever I start to get that sense of "Oh this is so crap!" I go and reread my review of that book over again and remember how aweful it was. And this guy is a published author!

However cruddy my writing is, I can be fairly sure that its not that! bad big_smile.

The other thing of course, is more happily I discover interesting things whilst writing which I didn't think of putting in their at all.
Tad williams once spoke about "ideas that just sit on the page and be intresting"

Even though I'm scarcely four k words in thus far, I've already run into several of these, which is really exhilarating.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-04 13:48:38

Being somewhat of a perfectionist myself, having fixed words going daily doesn't do anything but stress me more. I've tried, and ended up stopping because I didn't only find it unenjoyable, but it also ruined the jumble of plots and words formed in my head. Instead of writing good and better, it went the opposite.
I'm in a state where living feels utterly worthless because of me unable to do things. I used to write half a chapter to two per day back five years ago. Then it went shorter and crappier. Now it almost stops. Each time I squeeze words off my brain, I never feel like it's any good. It may be better than years back but somehow it's like all of what makes it seem and feel lively to me is no more. Adding the fact that I'm born artistic and am extroverted introverte (sounds weird, I know), it torchers me more than anything just knowing I can't progress what I once could. I had energy, but no one supported me, yet I could still write. Now, everyone supports me when my energy, courage, motivation and all for the better of myself is no longer there.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-10-04 17:20:05

Well its supposed to be written essay, this is what the lack of braille does to blind people.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-04 18:41:04

Oh yeah, I forgot to add something in post three. Never take my advice when you're writing something, like, ever. It's a bad idea and unless you're really desperate it's not something you'd want to do too often, if at all.

TWITCH

2018-10-05 03:16:00

I don't get your point, Ironcross. What does lack of braille have to do with writing essay?

2018-10-05 03:27:44

@mata Besides spelling, not much.

TWITCH

2018-10-05 04:32:38

@17 you kinda proved my point for me, although I'll admit I didn't even notice it until Dark mentioned it. It was written SA, (sierra alpha) rather than essay (echo, sierra, sierra, alpha, yankee). This is what happens when blind people don't learn braille, they have a fundamental lack of the knowledge of spelling in the English language which causes these things to happen. They themselves don't realize the problems that poor spelling can create for them. Especially the teens, but they will have to face up to some hard realities when it comes time for them to go to college, or try to enter the workforce. Papers will come back with marks all over, résumés will get chucked.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-05 04:37:23

@ironcross32 Personally I just use spell check, but yes people should probably know how to spell.

TWITCH

2018-10-05 05:16:58

As regards perfection Mata, one thing I'm realizing is that its far more important to just sit down and bloody write than to try and constantly agonise over what! to write, since the more writing you do, the easier it is to get into the habit of doing it, and starting is always  than trying to tidy something up you've already written.

I've often found this with my book reviews, I'll be stuck on how to start or how to put the points in order I want to make, then if I just sit down and force myself to splurge suddenly everything seems to just come together.
Its not easy but in the end its rewarding to be able to do it.

2018-10-05 05:22:40

Yeah I can agree with that, being self-conscious just fucks with you too much and then you end up squashing everything you do because you think its shit. Also, save everything, I have these urges to just stop and alt F4 without saving, don't do that, if you ever feel like that while writing, save the doc and come back to it later.

@20 spell check is fine but it won't catch everything, and you learn nothing while using it if you don't use it proactively, By that I mean when it makes a suggestion, actually look at the way the word is properly spelled and burn it into your brain.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-05 05:36:50

well this may sound really stupid and crappy and coming from a disney movie, but I know what I'm talking about here, sometimes I'll sit down and write more then 1500 or 2000 words in a couple hours. but on with the point. what I do is a afew things. one is make music. it always helps me come up with ideas. from 8bit music with barely a beat to intense battle music, it puts ideas in my mind, and then all of a sudden I want to go write something. or, you could, take my advice, it, works, just sit down, and imagine. don't think real. think like you are not even existant in real life, you're somebody else living in a different world, in the past or future. it could be anything. that, although it may sound stupid, will give you a iojvkbviorueowirlkjsdfghjhhjasforuowieqpr amount of ideas. huge amounts. I'm writing a novel, its up to like 30 pages now, and that is because I sat down one night on the chair, watched some tv, made some music and thought. just write whatever comes to you. you'll then get used to it and be able to make ideas much easier, they'll sort of just start coming to you all the time like rain. well there's my advice, hope you get some use out of it.

2018-10-05 07:57:39

@Dark Pretty sound advice.
@ironcross32 Good point.
@rory-games You had some good advice too, but I think you fell on your keyboard in the middle of writing that.

TWITCH

2018-10-05 10:18:07

Lol snap! I didn't know I actually misspelled that. At least I don't think I misspell my native language as much, or do iI? lol
@23, I have tons of music I like saved in my laptop, some of which are instrumental. Sometimes I use that to motivate myself. It worked better back then than now though, but still does in rare occasions.
@22 I like that. It's almost exactly how I feel right now. I even find it hard to keep up and continue sometimes when I don't get feedback from anyone. I used to have a website I could upload my novel on, but it's recently been turned inaccessible. I can upload nothing for readers anymore when I once could. I got comments and criticism to prove and fix. Right now I got nothing. Even finding someone willing to read mine is hard.