2018-09-21 09:46:48

Hello.
Who remembers, for a long time I chose a programming language for game development and other tasks.
Now I'm interested in Python. For me, this is the number one programming language in the world. Because it is simple, powerful, etc.
Yesterday my familiar system administrator told a parable about the two-armed bandit which he read in the book about Cybernetics. The bandit had 2 guns. And he knew that one of them more often misfires. And the question is how to choose a gun.
The first answer is to make 10 shots from each gun. The book mathematically explained why this answer is wrong.
The second answer is correct. Choose any and use. When it misfires, use another. When the second one misfires, go back to the first one, etc.
I decided that I should not choose any programming language, but I think it is more effective for me. I chose Python.
Now I want to ask a few questions about Python. I only ask people who have worked with Python to respond.
1. In Python, I know variables, conditions, loops, lists, tuples, dictionaries, functions, classes, and objects. Is that enough to start game development?
2. How did you learn Python? I have not read the book of Mark Lutz, because this book has a lot of unnecessary information. What ways do you know?
3. What libraries do you use and can you recommend?
I gave up pyglet because it's hard for me. If you can explain why Pyglet is better than Pygame, I'm willing to listen.
Pyglet uses decorators or method overrides. It's difficult.
I can't use PyOpenAL because It's a low-level library.
What libraries do you have for networking? What is the difference between Socket and Twisted?
Thank you in advance for your answers!

2018-09-21 13:15:53 (edited by pauliyobo 2018-09-21 13:18:16)

@post 1. Sorry if I find you as an incoerent, because on an other topic, you were bitching about how python is slow for games, and how is performance sucks in audiogames.
But replying to your questions.
1. It depends on what you know. If you know objects it doesn't mean that you are able to use them effectively. You'll be ready to code audiogames when you can master all those things you mentioned.
2. How did I learn python? Well, I read tutorials, since I wasn't satisfacted, I switched to others and ended reading something like 20 tutorials which probably would explain the same thing. I've also practiced with examples, and obviously messed up source codes in the process, pasting the errors on google and finding a fix.
You don't have to read 20 tutorials, like I did. I did it because I am dumb and I needed  to find multiple tutorials.
3. From what I've gathered, pyglet is a library that works more in an OOP manner, than pygame. but since I'm not an expert can't confirm it.  You probably find it difficult because it's more complex than pygame.
What is the difference between socket and twisted?
That's like asking, what's the difference between an house and a brick? Twisted (the house) it's built with sockets (bricks). Twisted is an event driven networking library that allows you to easily create networking applications based on many protocols.
Of course, because my communicating skills are horrible, feel free to send me to fuck off, if you think I've said something wrong, or if you haven't understood what I said. big_smile

Paul

2018-09-21 14:56:40

Jonikster wrote:

I decided that I should not choose any programming language, but I think it is more effective for me. I chose Python.

That is a contradiction.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-22 07:33:30

"I can't use PyOpenAL because It's a low-level library." can you explain what do you mean by this? Also pygame is good for 2d games but if you're looking for games which involve 3d landscape pyglet is the answer. And OpenAL brings hrtf, efx and other effects for implementation. So can you explain why OpenAL isn't a good idea. I am a beginner python programmer myself, and I am learning as I go on.

2018-09-22 08:30:10

GauravSharma, in the low-level library you should use detailed programming, mathematical formulas, etc.in the high-level library you should only specify the coordinates of the 3D sound, in OpenAL there are many other difficult things.

2018-09-22 09:27:07

@post 4. Right pyglet is good for 3d graphics. With that said, if you want to make 3d audiogames pygame will work as well.

Paul