2008-09-26 16:03:01

Hey, all.  I run the multiplayer text-adventure game Improbable Island, and I've just made a couple of skins that are designed to work with screen readers.  I had to use NVDA to do my own beta testing because I couldn't afford JAWS, so I could do with some JAWS users (and some screen reader users in general) to give me their opinions.

The address is improbableisland.com.  To use the VI skins, check the Skin Selection menu at the bottom of the home page (improbableisland.com/home.php).  They're called Accessible and Accessible-navfirst, with the second one displaying your command list before showing what's going on.  They should get rid of a lot of the clutter (including ads) and make things more logical to listen to.  At least, that's my intention, hence needing the beta testers. smile

Any feedback, critique, criticism, suggestions, bug reports et cetera are very much appreciated.  I know this is a bit rude considering that this is my first post, but I could really use a hand, and this should hopefully benefit blind and VI gamers, so I hope you'll forgive my asking.

Thanks!

-Admin CavemanJoe
ImprobableIsland.com

2008-09-27 10:04:27

Hi caveman joe,
I'll check out this game, and will test out the skins. do we need to register before playing? i guess so as it'smultiplayer -- i know i'm answering my own question, and perhaps it was a stupid question to ask. But i will look at the website and skins and let you know.

2008-09-27 16:14:25 (edited by Dark 2008-09-27 16:26:01)

No problem at all with asking Jo, that's one of the reasons for this board, and it's really nice to see someone developing a game who's actually concerned enough to come and ask, ---- usually it's us who have to poke webmasters about accessifying their games.

I personally use hal rather than jaws, a screen reader popularly used in europe and the Uk, and I'll be glad to look over the game.

please let us know if you'd prefer feedback here on this topic, or sent to you via e-mail.

either is of course fine.

Eddit: okay, i've checked out the site, and am waiting for my validation e-mail. i see though the game is based on Logd, which implies that it'll be very accessible, even before you add in some extra tweaks like having the navigation stuff first.

i've personally been dipping into Logd about once a year sinse about 2001, ----- though haven't played for a while.

eddit eddit! okay, I've tried the game out. some nice ideas and random humer, ---- the "sodit! lets kill something" had me laughing a bit. getting back to access though, lack of adds is certainly a really good idea, and thanks for allowing that, it does cut down page clutter.

i've only looked at a few aspects of the game thus far, but i'm fairly intreagued by the travle system, ---- that's not something i've seen before in logd, and as an exploration nut it deffinately appeals to me. the only trouble I found was it was difficult to know which set of coordinates were actually referring to my own current location.

i'd assume this is shown on the grafical map, but it would be really helpful to have some sort of textual indication if possible. the "current position" at the top of the map key didn't seem to give the coordinates, though it did give the terain type.

you could considder adding a "you are here" marker, or just having the current coordinates displayed in text.

other than that, looks nice thus far, ---- i like the increased enemy descriptions, makes the usual Logd monster bashing much more amusing and entertaing! especially if the monsters change each level.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-09-28 19:19:56

Hey, i'm waiting for the e-mail now. i'll check in a moment. if anyone has registered, if you don't mind me asking what are your character names? mine will be jukesy.

2008-09-28 19:29:12

i think you'll guess mine, ;D.
as a hint, it has four letters, begins with d, is the opposite of light, and is a character name I've never! ever! at all! ever! used on the internet anywhere!

Lol!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-09-29 18:51:33

heheh. by the way i sent you a destraction message, dark. and caveman joe, this game is pretty neet. but the co-ordinates system is  alittle bit of a problem as you don't know exactly where you are, and what happens if you get lost?

2008-09-29 19:08:05

Thanks for your replies, folks. smile

I think the biggest problem accessibility-wise is the world map system.  Of course, I'm trying to make a game that's fun for both VI and sighted folks, so some compromises are necessary.

You should have seen the world map system when the game was launched...  It didn't even have alt-text capability for the terrains.  People using a screen reader had no idea where they were or what was going on around them.  Even as it is now, it's an improvement over previous versions, but I'll see if I can make it a bit clearer.

Maybe a better explanation of the map system will help - what you see is just a small portion of the map, IE the range that your character can see.  As you move around, the whole map will change.  Your character is located in the center of the visible map. 

The hotkeys for the world map system caused a bit of confusion once - you'll hear them as (7) North-West, (8) North, and so on.  Those aren't the travel costs - in fact, those numbers in brackets don't mean anything.  They're just the access keys, laid out in such a way that they correspond to directions on your numeric keypad.

If using the map to move around is too much trouble, you can also use the Travel Agents in any Outpost. smile

2008-09-29 21:10:13

Hi Jo, thanks for getting back to us.

i worked out that the area shown on the map was 5x5, and with a bit of experimentation worked out that my position was the middle coordinates, so was able to count. i think the only thing needed really is some alt text on your own position in the center of the 5x5 grid shown, that way you know exactly where you are and can work out easily by coordintes whats in the cardenal directions.

other than that though, everything seems great! as i said, i really like the extra descriptions on monsters in the forest, ahm! jungle, and I haven't even explored all the extra shops yet. i also very much like having days last eight hours, but the ability to save them up, it makes playing time a much more flexible affair, and means that those times i can't get online aren't completely waisted, which is really nice.

2008-09-30 19:30:34

when do days get saved up? and how offten?