2018-08-14 21:32:14

so i've learned enough about bgt so that i think learning a different language will be somewhat easier cause i know some of the fundementals of programming and all that
I've come to realize how limitted and problematic bgt is, so i'm asking the seasoned programmers on here, where should i go from here? maybe c++, python?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-08-14 22:03:31

that's really up to you and on what are your goals.
I can recommend python because it's pretty easy, but maybe you know enough for starting c/c++?
if you are interensted on web you could try approaching PHP or ruby.In terms of simple things javascript is not difficoult either.

Paul

2018-08-14 22:56:49

Want to simplify the things then go for python. Otherwise out there, VB, C#, C++, Java, JavaScript(note: that's different), PHP, Pearl, Ruby, and many many more are there. It depends on what you want to do, though. So choose carefully on the basis of your requirement and after well research.

2018-08-15 00:56:23

Each language has their own strengths and weaknesses, and your likely to pick up many languages as you go. Don't worry too much about it, as all languages tend to share certain similarities, variables, loops, if statements, functions, etc. so learning one makes it easier to learn others. As always it depends on what your comfortable with, there's no real right answer here since all roads inevitably lead to the same place.

As a general rule, the more complex a language is, the more powerful it can be. The more detailed you can be in your instructions, the more you can get out of it, but this can also make writing and managing all those details more difficult and time consuming. For example, you could probably write a blazingly efficient program in Assembler, but you could probably write it ten times faster in C with an acceptable hit to performance and a bit less detail and low level control, and its the same with C#/Python, less control for faster results and ease of use. Languages like C# and Python tend to handle memory management for you, so it makes it alot more productive to write the core of a program without worrying about the details of memory allocation. But this isn't practical for some applications like OS or processor level functions, which is where other more detailed and low level languages like C/C++ or assembler come in.

As i've mentioned before, asking which language to use can end up getting a thousand different answers as everyone has their own particular preferences. My own recommendation would be Python, as its versatile, has lots of documentation, libraries, examples, and lots of people who can offer help. It can also serve as a good launchpad towards learning other lower level languages like C, if you so desire.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-08-15 01:45:55

Another good low-level language is Rust. Rust seeks to act as a (almost) drop-in replacement for C/C++ -- OK, not a very good description, but interesting enough. Rust attempts to prevent you from making all the mistakes you can make in C++ that cause programing safety to be impacted.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-15 02:26:44

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has already said here. Which language to use from here probably doesn't matter a whole lot as long as you stick with well known and well established languages because they'll have plenty of resources available to help you continue to sharpen your programming skills, and will have a large number of prewritten libraries that can go a long ways towards not having to recode the wheel.

Although I've never done any coding in it myself, based on some of the things I've seen written in it, and from what I've heard from programmer friends who do use it, you can't go too far wrong with Python. A shining example is NVDA, it is written in the language, just to give you an idea of what is possible.

2018-08-15 05:07:05

wow thanks for all the help guys, looking at your suggestions, i think i'll go with python, at least for now,

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-09-23 01:34:03

well, fox, I would like to also add, that if you are learning python, I am putting together my own written manual explaining many things including, classes, functions, objects, variables, and many more things like this. I studied a 4 hour corse recently, and took a shit load of notes. if anyone is interested in my documentation, let me know.