2018-08-11 22:41:45

Hello everybody. So, i am interested if such a thing exists already, and if not, I would love it if somebody could program this. I was thinking about a multyplayer game. The way it would work is it would have soundpacks, just like beatstar. However, the difference is that the music files would be very short, maybe from 5 to 10 seconds. In the game, you would host a server. After somebody joins, you select a pack to play. Then, a random file from the chosen soundpack will play, and you must guess from which song the chosen segment is. A small input box would appear for both players, and they would type the name of the song. If it is right for both players, the one who send the answer faster would win points. If only one player guessed the name, they will get points and the one who did not guess does not lose anything. At the end of the game, the one with the highest amount of points would win. You can choose how many rounds do you want to play, or just play all files from the selected pack. No matter what you choose though, the files would always be in a randomized order.
I think such a game would be quite fun to play with friends while being on something like skype and with a mutual agreement on which packs you will use.

2018-08-11 23:18:08

There are actually a couple of these sorts of games out for Amazon Alexa now.

Song quiz is one that my lady is very fond of, you get about ten seconds of audio and have to guess the song and the artist. There are quizzes for different decades, and it can be played multiplayer in the same room or across the internet (my lady nails the eighties bit).

There is also a holiday version for Christmas and I believe some for different genre, EG a country music one.

Then there is lyrics idle. This one is fun since you  get ten seconds or so of song and then a beep and have to ffill in the bleeped word.
hearing "every  night in my dreams, i see you I feel you that is how I know bleeep!" is sort of amusing big_smile.

The only problem was last we played that one the number of song files got a wee bit repetitive, but whether more are around I don't know.

There is also one called guess the intro, but that had a really! annoying recorded host who sounded like the most irritating dj ever, so we didn't spend much time on that one, there are also likely more kicking around as well that we might have missed, since I've not been on the amazon alexa skill store for a while.

In general, trivia games are really good on the Alexa since speaking to answer questions just feels much more fun and quiz like  trying to type or swipe round a screen, and of course it works really well for "guess the song" and such.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-11 23:47:52 (edited by Orko 2018-08-11 23:51:19)

Sounds like a current TV game show called Beat Shazam, or if you want to reach into the past there is always Name That Tune.

In Beat Shazam contestants compete against each other to name the song being played first, after all but one team has been eliminated, that team competes against Shazam, winner takes all.

In Name That Tune contestants are given some information that hints at the song, then contestants bid for the right to hear and guess the song by bidding how many notes they need to hear to guess the song, for example, "I can name that tune in 5 notes", the fewer notes you need the better, bidding continues until no one will bid lower, then only the lowest number of notes bid are played and the lowest bidder has to try to name the tune.

The only music guessing computer game I can think of takes a random song out of your music library, cuts it into pieces, how many pieces is configurable, then scrambles them. Your task is to put them back into the correct order. I think it was imaginatively called Music Puzzle.

2018-08-12 10:47:22

really reminds me of blind fold song name. which, as much as I'm against blind fold, I've had quite a large amount of fun with that thing, think I scored like 12000 points before I fucked it up intentionally. well if there is a multi player for windows or IOS, someone please tell me.

2018-08-12 11:05:44

Grate idea, the problem with entering the answer in an input box is that you have to enter the exact name of the song, some people aren't good enough when it comes to spelling, me being one of them.
If so, then I would suggest that 2 or more players can join, and then one person who will act as the judge.
When everyone finish typing the name of the song, the judge can decide who answered correctly, and can give the points to the first one who answered or something like that.
And, of course the judge can see the correct answer himself and decide based on that.

2018-08-12 13:11:09

Hmm, Yeah to get the computer to score you correctly, you'd need to type the name exactly. But then again, if you made it multiple choice, it'd make it too easy, because someone might be like oh I know that one but I can't think of it, then they read down and see the name and bam there ya go.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-12 13:19:44

That is my one complaint with Beat Shazam, up until the final round with Shazam, the contestants are shown the title of four songs, one of which is the answer.

2018-08-12 13:44:37

Well, if you do not know how to spell the name of a song, then you just do not get the points. Besides, as I said I think of this mainly as playing with people you know and have generally similar music tastes. Playing this with random people using random soundpacks would be quite hard depending on somebody's music skills. I thought of the blindfold game tooo, but never tried it and actually just wanted something for windows.

2018-08-12 15:27:48

That's one reason the alexa song quiz games where you say the name of the song or band work so well, though even then there are problems, EG if the song is titled by the first line of the chorus for example.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)