2018-08-11 17:04:05

Hi.

My lady's laptop managed to lose wireless connectivity. I have no idea why, our network is listed in available networks, I tried the windows trouble shooter, no good. The wireless switch is on and its not in flight mode, yet for some reason its not connecting.

I thought I'd try forgetting the network and then reconnecting. The problem? nvda absolutely refuses to read the password entry box.

So now, even if the network sorts itself out, there is no way of reconnecting, which is pretty dire.

Stupid Nivda! this is very annoying!

Any help would be much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-11 17:43:01

That's odd. Have you tried restarting NVDA and/or Windows? Is NVDA up to date? Have you tried using Narrator?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-08-11 17:49:02

I can't remember if it does or doesn't, but why does it matter, type the password and hit enter.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-11 17:57:00

NVDA is uptodate. Actually, when I tried the third time the box appeared and I was able to type the password, though for some really weird reason the laptop still isn't connected, god knows why, everything else on the network is fine, and all the diagnostics on the laptop are okay, the network shows up on the list and the wireless is set correctly, its just plane stopped working for some reason.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-11 18:10:50

I bet I know why. Turn off that hybrid shutdown bulldink and restart. That thing causes more networking issues, because the drivers just stay loaded and they never get reinitialized. Any time I have an unexplained networking issue, I turn that junk off.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-11 18:25:56

i think you have to press win +f7 or something  to read the password, hold it and it'll read it.

2018-08-11 18:31:12

hi, @5 i also did that. i got problems with my laptop when it was turned on

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-08-11 20:22:59

Hello, make sure to tick automatically connect to this network found next to the Wireless's name after you click on it.

2018-08-11 20:51:25

Well it turns out the hole wireless is down. The wired ethernet is okay, but the amazon echo and both Iphones are out as well as my lady's laptop.

its weird, the network shows up on devices, but for some reason fails to connect, if its not back in a couple of days I'll ring my service provider and give them hell.

Either way the laptop isn't the problem, though god knows why the password box wasn't showing up.

@@Ironcross,  What do you  mean about hybrid shutdownn?

I tried restarting a couple of times as well as the plane shutdown.

If you mean the windows ten "update and shutdown" business well that option wasn't available since there aren't any updates right now, and even when it is available its easy enough to choose not to update if you don't want to.

Usually I do the update separate to the shutdown business anyway, since I'd prefer to know my computers updated when I turn it on than sit through a long update schedule, but at the moment the point is moot anyway since there weren't any updates on offer.

2018-08-11 21:57:50

@dark

I believe, #Hybrid in this case, equals #SleepMode.

2018-08-12 00:15:09

Ah, well I've only ever used sleep mode when I used to have to cart my laptop between nearby lectures at university. I likely wouldn't use it now given how fast the shutdown and startup is on windows ten (especially with some help from C cleaner.

Actually I don't think its ever been used either on my desktop or my lady's laptop.

2018-08-12 00:22:11

I think he was probably referring to Fast Startup, and I agree, that should be disabled. In my experience, it won't slow your boot process by much, if at all, and it forces Windows to do a complete shutdown rather than this weird hybrid crap that Windows 10 does now. however, you said you did a restart, which makes me think that this might not be the issue, because restarting bypasses that process entirely. Probably an obvious question, but have you restarted your router? Whenever my wireless connections get flaky, I find that usually fixes it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-12 00:55:53

I agree with post 12. try restarting your networking equipment. Unplug it from the wall for about a minute and plug it back in. Wait about a minute for everything to boot up and you should be back in business.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-08-12 01:10:29

yeah the fast restart thing in power options.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-12 01:42:26

I don't think I've ever used fast restart in power options.
I did try unplugging the router box then plugging it back in, but its possible I didn't wait long enough for it to reset so I can give that another go, though unfortunately I have no idea how to get into the software settings of the router or anything else from here, so hopefully its not a more serious problem.

2018-08-12 02:06:18

its on by default, my suggestion is to turn it off.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-12 02:13:47

dark wrote:

though unfortunately I have no idea how to get into the software settings of the router ...

which router is it? you can usually open a cmd window, then type ipconfig to get your default gateway and navigate to that ip from the browser of choice assuming your ISP has not locked it down like mine did, though I still found a workaround hehe. I say this because when you were successful  logging in, it only showed a lame status page with no options but other people posted a whole (whole, entire is preceded with a w smile hehe) list of the internals URLs of my router so now I do have full control.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-08-12 04:20:03

Right, and it's pretty easy to find the default username and password configuration for any router you can think of, assuming that information wasn't changed, of course, although it frankly should have been. In any case, I can't imagine that this issue won't be cleared up by rebooting the modem and/or router.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-12 11:31:08

Is the fast restart thingy on by default?

2018-08-12 17:37:14

Well, it seemed that unplugging the router, waiting five minutes then plugging it back in worked, indeed I suspect when I tried this first time around I got the wrong plug lol.

As regards router commands through software, as with messing with the registry its something I'd rather not get into monkeying with unless I have to, heck only Manamon these days has the silly router issue since Crazy party has the mini UPNP thing which works fine.

Oh and as to fast restart, I checked power options under control panel and there doesn't seem to be anything referring to fast restart there, I also did a search for fast restart and nothing, though as the wireless problem in this case seemed to have been a basic glitch with the router I'm not sure if this fast restart is actually causing problems or not.

2018-08-12 18:41:11

It's there, what you have to do is enter into your power plan, then click the link that says adjust settings that are currently unavailable, and in that section, you will see several checkboxes, that option is among them.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-14 00:23:08

Hmm, this is interesting. I've never had that problem before. Yeah try turning off that fast startup stuff, I've herd there is issues with that.