2018-08-10 12:00:37

Hello all!
Paladin of the sky is one of the few large games actually out I didn't really test. Perhaps it is the only one to be honnest.
I'm considering to buy it, but I wanted to know if it was worth the price in your opinion.
Don't take me wrong, I would be glad to pay for it, supporting the dev team by the way, but here's the fact : still today, I'm completely satisfied to have paid for manamon. It was a really nice game, I clearly spent hours on it and, even if we can regrete the project didn't extend, it was still a fantastic experience; On the contrary, I'm not sure paying for the gate was a comparably good idea. The game wasn't bad, I wouldn't say that, but it didn't deserve the 29 dollars I put in it.
So considering all this, VG storm provided us a fantastic game and a medium one for a comparative price. Then we have paladin of the sky. An older game, with a less immersive sound experience, but a scenario that sounds clearly enjoyable and a gameplay based on exploration. All thos elements make me think that this could be a good idea to buy it. But what do you think?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Best regard,
Simon

2018-08-10 21:23:40

Well on the one hand Paladin of the sky has an interesting, if occasionally slightly under written  story, maps as large as manamons, great music and a fascinating world, as well as distinct characterrs, hidden items and a level up system. Plus there is no denying it'll take you a while to finish so has lastability on its side.

On the other, it has a fairly uninteresting battle system which effectively plays like a rhythm action game, long and complex mazes which  get a little urcsome, as well as extending playing time through some rather overly large areas, and some patchy beats in the story.

Is it as good as Manamon? certainly not. Is it worth playing, yes quite probably. Is it worth 29 dollars? I can't honestly say.

I'd suggest playing through the demo, since as with Manamon that should give you a good idea of what is  what, and if you like the demo and want to continue then do so, indeed I probably need to play through all of Paladin myself (I got a good ways through then lost my savegame).

Then again I freely admit I tend to be generous where buying audiogames is concerned since I like to support the developers.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-10 23:27:12

Hello,
yep, that sounds reasonable . to me VG storm has a really interesting  potential which deserves to be supported.
Thank you for your answer. I'll take some time to finish the demo, then, given what you said, I'll probably buy it if the combat system doesn't prevent me from appreciating the world and storyline, which are the parts I usually consider mainly when making an opinion about a game.
Thanks again!

Best regard,
Simon

2018-08-11 17:33:58

Imho Manamon has better writing over all, but Paladin has a more interesting world and history to explore.

As I said, if you play through the demo you should get  fairly good idea of what the game involves.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-11 20:35:51

Hey Dark.
I finally decided to buy the game and, from what I've seen so far, I can only say that I toally agree with you on all points. The univers is really fun to discover, I only wish the storyline was more complexe, less based on combats (especially considering the poor combat dynamic), but you mentionned it.
Still, no regrets. The world is original and the dialogs are nicely written.
I hope we'll have the opportunity to see this final destination planet, and not only as a happy end !

Best regard,
Simon

2018-08-11 20:57:29

I actually need to play through the game myself from start to finish  see where things wind up, since while it has its issues, it did catch my interest and keep my attention for quite some time, even if much of that was wondering around mazes and playing rhythm action games big_smile.

2018-08-12 22:35:42

I wouldn't buy it. The dragon strike scrolls are next to impossible to master, and it is largely based on memorization. The developer refuses to adjust it at all, and is in fact not developing the game any longer. I would pass on this one if I were you.

2018-08-13 09:13:38

Hello,
I don't even know if I'm half way in the game or not, but I'm quite far atleast. Maybe the only real probleme I have is the lack of difference between characters. They have no special hability or attribute that would create some interrest in choosing one or another. But in the storyline itself, they have pretty well made personnalities and that sounds good enough to me.
About the dragonstrike scrolls, I totally disagree with you. They are a bit chalenging, probably the only real challenge in combats I must admit, but they aren't difficult to memorize, especially given the fact that you're able to practice them. All that should be critissised to me is that they would really need some sound effects while executing the pathern, and of course when perfectly casted. But that wouldn't be really constructive to blame the autor for it, as he warned us in the manual about the lack of sounds, and we had the opportunity to consider this before buying.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-08-13 09:35:12

The problem with this game honestly for me is the  spells.
You see? I've already bought and completed the game years ago, I've tried going back to the game more than once, but the problem for me is that I first need to learn the spells all over again, one spell or two for each character, and this is hard when you return to a game and just want to spend sometime playing it.
Because mostly, you can't do much with out them.

2018-08-13 11:22:19

Well honestly when it comes to the spells themselves, most of them aren't so difficult to be memorized, except those which are related to embodiments big_smile and yet that gives combat a bit of challenge.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-08-13 11:47:38

I agree about memorizing scrolls. It's a pain, and it doesn't leave room for stratigizing since all the spells do as much as dealing damage., no status effect, no strategy required.
Btw, how many treasures and galactic dusts are there? I'm not sure if I've collected all of them or no.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-08-13 11:55:01

What is the answers to the quiz that you are given in Burt's palace?
I get ask what year did the war start?
And how long did the war last?

2018-08-13 13:05:46

How do you beat Burt?
This game cheats because he gets four hits off of you.

2018-08-13 14:20:39

@Mata I agree. My problem with the dragonstrike scrolls wasn't the minigame itself, it was the lack of interest in the abilities even when you did learn to execute them correctly.

Mainstream rpgs have after all had the odd minigame in combat, for example cinnamon in Mega man x battle mission had a healing ability where you needed to spin the analogue stick to fill a heart shaped meter, while massimo in the same game had a special attack which was like a hit the hammer style game with his charge shot, EG you'd see a meater fill and empty and had to hit the button when it was at the top.

So, minigames in combat don't bother me, what does bother me is the fact that firstly, all the scrolls do damage, and secondly, as Arcandius said, all the characters are the same, indeed often I'd switch characters just to insure they levelled up roughly the same way to make sure if I was forced to use one of them I wouldn't be stuck.

Then again, while the writing in the story had its off moments, EG why the hell would dragon orphans, if they're a discriminated race have a hole secret section of the space liner to themselves, and how the hell did a drunk abusive father get his own secret palace dungeon? and really the girl who's entire motiviation is that she loves Ross because she loves Ross because she loves Ross.

There are also a lot of things I like, I liked the way characters discussed things, I enjoyed the different zones and music and chances to explore, and several beats of the story really worked for me, heck I'm making myself wanting to play the game again from the start since previously I got a good ways through, but didn't finish the game.

2018-08-13 16:15:16

***Minor spoilers ahead*
I personally find it weird that Lucy and Simon share the same battle profile, like all of the scrolls and stats and basically everything, despite being exactly different characters.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-08-13 19:18:55

Miner spoilers ahead!

Okay, its official now I'll replay paladin as soon as I have some time, though I might be asking for treasure and cosmic dust locations big_smile.

Previously I got to heaven and completed a couple of the towers of trials, but didn't complete the game before I had a massive crash and lost my savefile.

2018-08-13 22:08:57

Dark: the galactic Dust is located by every save point.  I didn't put the spoiler tag, simply because I thought it is obvious.

2018-08-13 22:53:24

Yep, I know about the galactic dust, though I think in my previous play I might have missed  treasure or two.

2018-08-14 01:58:14

Okay now am nearly three hours in, Beware! spoinling spoilers!

I am enjoying the story again, even if it has some odd beats, EG random kidnapping of Kelly for no reason (I got the idea she's particularly tough), and a random drunk with his own palace.
Also I forgot how much traipsing around there is in the game, like all the times you have to go to and from a given place for no reason or how just plane huuuuuuge! some of even the basic areas are.
I also have only explored three out of five floors of cabins so far, though I plan to do all of them since I recall at least a couple of good things if you talk to npcs.

All that being said, I am still enjoying the game, the atmosphere, the music, the personalities of the characters and the world, even if the story did need a bit of polishing, indeed its odd that Manamon has a better story, but always felt far more grindy to me due to the need to level up so many different creatures, plus having to basically sit with the elements chart open since the information wasn't available in game.

I actually would love to see a paladin ii with a better worked out battle system and some improved writing.

Oh and btw, does anyone have a list of treasure locations? I have a few but I'm not sure if I've missed any or not.

2018-08-14 03:10:48

Hey, Dark.

How do you get pass Burt?
Every time that I fight him he gets four attacks in.

2018-08-14 05:19:28

@cico Beware! spoiling spoilers for Bert!

Bert is actually pretty easy, every other attack he'll chuck a beer can at you which will stun you for three rounds and make you unable to do anything. If you defend though, the stun wont' happen.
So, just alternate between attacking and defending, yes, its the one time you actually use the defence option.

2018-08-14 06:52:30

Thanks Dark.
I'll give it a try.

2018-08-14 07:53:59

I defeated Burt.
Thanks again Dark for the help.