2018-08-09 01:21:04

So, recently I have gotten into drum rolls.  The problem here is me not being able to actually do them. I can bounce the stick at a certain speed, but I can't really go faster.  I've been told to stay loose, just tight enough to keep the stick in the fulcrum,  but the problem is I don't know how it's supposed to feel.  For example, I've been doing an exercise for the past 45 minutes, and now my wrist hurts. Is it supposed to do that? Am I building new muscles? Or am I doing it all wrong.  I can tell when my elbow muscles get tight, but that's pretty much it. I don't know how to check if I'm loose in the rest of my arm.  So, you got any tips?  I'm not giving up on it, no. Far from it. I would like to see some progress, though.

2018-08-09 03:46:13

I can't do one perfectly, but what I do is bounce the stick at a certain speed with each arm. You have to alternate hands really really quickly. It's all in the wrist.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2018-08-09 04:39:14

See, that's what everybody tells me. It's all in the wrist.  But how do I improve on it?  How do I know when I'm loose and when I'm tight? Obviously there is a way to do it, since we have a lot of professional drummer's.

2018-08-09 04:48:24

Drum rolling isn't easy. But if you want to work on your speed, try this. Buy some marching sticks. They're usually much thicker and heavier. Find a pillow, it can be a couch pillow or one for your bed but make sure it's fluffed and full. Then alternate taps with your hands at increasing speeds until you're going as fast as you can. Hold that speed for a while, and begin again. You'll find that on a normal drum, you'll be able to play much faster. This might help you with your drum rolls.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2018-08-09 15:18:39

I can do it, but then there's a problem with me not knowing if I'm loose enough. Any tips?

2018-08-09 20:56:45

Hi.
Drum roles are not about speed, its not a lot of single taps very quick.
Its easier to do than describe.
What I'd try is to practised your single roles. That's where you use the stick bounce and you get a mini role, will last about a quarter of a second. Keep doing it on one hand until its consistent. Then get a single role with the other hand and get it consistent.
Then alternate your hands doing single roles. Speed up until the role is smove.
It may help to keep your sticks near the rim of the drum.
Your fore arms should be hardly moving and you let the stick do all the work.
Hth.
Nick.

Nick Adamson.
N A SOFT
www.ndadamson.com

2018-08-10 04:51:51

Right, I know what is a drumroll. My problem is getting loose to the point where I can go that fast.  Are there any exercises that you could do to make your wrist or your arms looser?

2018-08-11 20:05:17

In regards to are you too tight? I would probably say yes. You should be able to easily turn the stick in your hand. I might also suggest checking where you are gripping the stick. I grip mine so that the weight is slightly concentrated forward, but not so much as to have the stick fall and not rebound.

As to doing a roll, the sticks are doing most of the work. Start slowly and do a downstroke, let the stick bounce once, and then repeat with the other hand. Try to get sixteenth notes to sound consistently doing doublestrokes. Probably a good speed to shoot for is 120 bpm. Then once they sound consistent, add on the speed. Once you get to about 180 bpm, your hands are doing eighth notes, and your sticks are doing sixteenth notes. That is pretty much your standard roll. You can do single stroke rolls, and to do that it's all about using the fingers. My college prof said to practice that,  to grip by the tip, and smack the butt of the stick into your forearms with your fingers to work on speed. Buzz rolls are just multiple bounces of the stick, so your hands aren't moving very fast at all, the trick is the timing so it sounds smooth. Keep working at it, and once you get it the first time, it will make so much more sense.

thanks,
Michael

2018-08-12 02:51:08

That's the thing I have trouble with when trying to play buzz rolls, the evenness of the sound. You can hear the impact of the initial hit too much. Just don't seem to be able to get one consistent level of sound. Occasionally it happens, but I can't maintain it for long.

2018-08-12 04:00:17

first and foremost, you don't use the wrist to drive the stick, but your fingers.  using your wrist will cause problems down the road.  i hold the stick between my thumb and index finger and use my middle, ring, and sometimes my pinky to drive the stick.  applying pressure with the wrist helps tighten up the double or triple strokes and of course the more pressure you apply, the faster the double or trip.e strokes will be due to the rebound.     the thing here is you have to find the right amount of pressure to apply while performing a double stroke or buzz roll or anything in between.  The faster the drum roll, the more pressure you apply.

if you're wondering about my finger technique,  one thing I can surely tell you is, it helps with speed in single strokes.  one technique I practiced was alternating between which driving finger I used.  you drive the stick by pushing the finger against the underside of the stick while you hold it between thumb and index finger.  this is how I perform some very fast one handed rolls and things like tat.     The only time I use my wrist is when I use the push and pull technique which allows me to do a buzz roll with just one stick.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel