2018-08-08 02:34:15

Hello all,

I decided to perform a clean install of Windows 7 on my Dell latitude E6540 to get rid of all the crap it came with. After installing the operating system and a bunch of drivers for video and networking, I'm back in business. However, I can't activate Windows with the OEM product key that I retrieved from the original Windows installation using magical Jellybean Keyfinder. When I try to enter the key, I get a message that says "A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate.  Error Code 0xC004E003."

What causes this issue? I have installed all Windows updates which has not fixed the issue. Any thoughts?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-08-08 02:50:52

Unfortunately, unless you can find the product key on the back of the machine which may or may not be the same, I don't know what else to tell you. My machine was one of the luckier ones and apparently came with an extra activation, but if you can't get one of those you're s o l, unfortunately. AT least as far as windows 7 is concerned.

2018-08-08 03:58:41

That error code means that the activation server is reporting that the product key is already in use.

Try this, I found this on the Microsoft answers support forum.

1. Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4

2. Press ENTER on your Keyboard

3. Select your Country

4. Take thePhone Activation option, and hold on for a real person

If locked out except for 3 choices, use the reduced functionality option to get into Windows to do the above Activation.

It would sure be nice if Microsoft would provide a deactivation procedure for those inevitable times when a clean install is needed, but we all know that they are not that smart or forward thinking. If brains were dynamite, Microsoft wouldn't have enough to blow their nose!

hth

2018-08-08 06:06:22

I forgot about the phone option, that almost always works when phone activation doesn't, not only that, the automated system was enough to get me by. I had to activate my newly purchased copy of Office2016, the server came back negative while phone activation went off without a hitch.

2018-08-08 10:06:04

hello criss plese cee your inbox

2018-08-08 10:47:24

I can't find a phone number to call when I access that screen with the slui.exe 4 command. What is the phone number? Why does this have to be such a process? I could understand if I was trying to transfer the key to another computer, but this is an OEM key I'm trying to use on the same hardware with the same edition of Windows that was installed previously. I made sure to install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

2018-08-08 11:49:02

I don't know, unless phone activation isn't available for OEM editions of Windows because Microsoft always refers support requests for OEM editions to the OEM. Which means they expect you to call Dell, not them.

2018-08-08 12:00:06 (edited by braille0109 2018-08-08 12:01:56)

1) please download something called key plus. 2) run it as admin. 3) click check key. 4) please paste your win7 key in the box. 5) paste the exact addition, not just windows 7 pro.
all I will say, though, is when I reinstalled my latitude e6420 on win7, not deactivating it before, it was fine. for whatever reason, if the key is in fact in use, or so the error code says, it almost seems like the thing is detecting none-existent . hardware changes.
there is a slight possibility jelly bean gave you the wrong key or something, so do go and check out the addition with key plus. now, if that fails, you could always get in touch with Microsoft, the disability desk seemed to have been willing to help, except I had a volume licensing issue, (you should still be able to find the thread). if all that fails, you may have to get in touch with dell. either that, or strip out the battery, and see if the product key label under it is still visible, which, given by the location, should be.

2018-08-08 12:25:57 (edited by Chris 2018-08-08 12:27:11)

Where do I get key plus? The only thing I find is a sideloaded app for Windows 10 which isn't going to help me in this situation. I haven't made any hardware changes to the laptop, so I don't get why this is happening. Microsoft's licensing scheme is more complicated than it needs to be!

2018-08-08 12:59:23 (edited by Orko 2018-08-08 13:07:19)

That's new, on my Latitude D830 the Windows product key sticker is on the bottom, not under the battery, but I believe that under the battery is a better location for it.

For Keyplus, I found this for 7, 8, and 10.

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKey … howkeyPlus

2018-08-08 13:36:34

yup, thanks for that, post 10. you got to it before I could post it. that is indeed the right link. as for your latitude, I'm assuming it's a recent model? mine's a 2011 model, and the sticker is under the battery, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it later, though. I believe Chris has a 4th gen Intel, so I would just assume that one still has it under the battery, at least I'm hoping it is, if for nothing else, it will be visible. otherwise, if it's at the bottom of it, trust me, I've learned the hard way, he's just not going to be able to get the key off the sticker. but then, win10 is always an option... tongue
seriously, though. I activated all my hardware on win10, in case something was to happen, and it sure paid off on one of my PC's.

2018-08-08 13:50:13

Nah, according to the information the Dell web site gives me for my service tag, this computer was built in February of 2008. Despite it's age, there are no signs of wear my fingers can detect and it runs like it was brand new. The only things I've had to do to it was blow the dust out of the CPU cooling vents and fan, and replace the battery. That is why I don't want to replace it even though a more modern processor would be nice. Still, I have no complaints about its performance.

Also, while looking for KeyPlus, it is actually called ShowKeyPlus, I found this page that tells you how to deactivate and uninstall a Windows product key. For retail editions, this will allow you to install that product key on a new computer, but for OEM keys, it doesn't do much because those keys are tied to a specific machine. It won't suddenly let you install an OEM edition on a different machine.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/deactiva … roduct-key

2018-08-08 14:03:30

I just looked on eBay, before reading your post, and indeed, these were shipped with vista. I'm really curious what's the difference between the d, and e line series. at any rate, my latitude e6420, which is a 14 inch 2nd gen Intel, has it under the battery, so I'm thinking the same for the e6540, which, judging by the name, is a 15 inch, 4th gen. so you still using the d830 as your primary?
my only real issue with the e6420 are battery, major! overheating, and some rather weird wireless issue, that I'm failing to pinpoint.

2018-08-08 14:07:21 (edited by Orko 2018-08-08 14:12:19)

Yup, the D830 is my primary and only computer, unless you count an iPhone as a computer, which I don't.

And this computer was shipped with Windows XP Professional. Vista was such a failure that Dell was offering their business class systems with XP if you requested it.

2018-08-08 17:11:47

when you click on check product key, do you see an edit box, where you can type? paste your key there, then I usually do a read all with NVDA, that being NVDA-B, and it will read out my exact addition of the key. then I use speech history to capture it. in my case, I used a different PC than to what the key belonged to, so you may want to use jelly bean to actually find the key first, then paste it.

2018-08-08 18:15:37

It turned out that I downloaded an older version. Once I downloaded the last version before it went the way of UWP it worked.

Does the check product key button tell me anything more than what the app shows when it launches?

2018-08-08 20:02:04

I don't believe so, since the check product key is mainly if you want to check keys that aren't currently on the computer itself.

2018-08-08 21:55:13

That's what I gathered from what little documentation there is on the program. Not a bad little program.

2018-08-08 23:28:48

I entered the key into key plus and all it tells me is that it's a Windows 7 Professional OEM-SLP key. What now? Would it work if I erased the drive and installed a clean copy of Windows 10? I prefer 10 to 7 and I'll eventually have to do it once Windows 7 support is dropped in less than a year and a half.

2018-08-09 01:37:18

Well, if you prefer Windows 10 over Windows 7, now might be a good time to upgrade. I'm Trying to figure out what SLP means, Single License <something> (Professional possibly?).

2018-08-09 02:58:06

Some organization just donated a computer to me, and I have Windows 10 installed on it. But this is might gone a bit off-topic here, but I have a question: What's the differences between Digital license and the product key? And also, does the digital license use like product key. Do they printed somewhere on the computer?

Thanks.

2018-08-09 03:15:19

How activation works in Windows 10: Digital license vs. product key
https://pureinfotech.com/how-activation … oduct-key/

2018-08-09 10:58:38

to Chris. if the laptop hasn't been activated on win10 in the past, you won't be able to install 10, at least not without first activating 7. what I did was install 10 over my fully activated 8.1, then reverted. so now that my 8.1 killed itself, I just installed 10, and as much as I miss 8.1, I have a fully activated, legit windows. so if you have done this in the past, it's certainly a possibility. so judging by key plus, it does sound like you have the right key, at least it's an OEM professional key.
you could get some sighted and see what's under the battery, depending on your win10 status, that is.
to post 21. digital licenses are ID's that are tighed to your hardware. as long as you don't replace anything major like motherboard, your windows will forever reactivate on win10. in fact, I've never! had win10 activation issues. digital licenses aren't physical codes, in fact, my old latitude, when it was on win10 pro, uses the same 25 character key, as my samsung picked up. they're both on digital licenses, so I predict that we won't see those licenses ourselves. hell, even my lenovo, claims it's on a digital license, yet I purchased that with win10 brand new, so I've no ideas why almost all say digital. not something to be worried of, in short.

2018-08-09 12:01:17

So I take it with digital licenses we won't be able to buy OEM versions of Windows 10 for a tenner on eBay like we could with 7.

2018-08-09 14:20:33 (edited by Chris 2018-08-09 14:22:28)

As far as I know, Windows 10 creates a digital license when you enter a product key. Once this has been done, your license is associated with that computer and you will not have to activate when performing a clean install. Windows will activate as soon as you connect to the internet. If you have an OEM license, you won't be able to transfer it to another computer. You can check what type of license you have by accessing the run box and typing slmgr.vbs -dli and pressing enter.

I have a couple of disks that came with the laptop. I assume this is Dell recovery media with Windows 7 and drivers. If I wipe the drive and install these, will I get the stock activated copy of Windows 7 back? Can I then run the Windows 10 installer inside of windows 7 and perform an upgrade to receive a digital license from the genuine Windows 7 OEM key? This seems like a lot of wasted effort on my part. Maybe I should have just installed Windows 10 Professional over 7 in the first place.