2018-08-09 02:54:24

I didn't purchase it as of yet, I'm still undecided. I think launching the website upon every exit is excessive.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-09 08:53:13

hi all, is the manual just a list of shortcut keys? although, they are self-explanitory, shouldn't it be a full manual? it doesn't seem very professional, just putting a bunch of shortcut keys in a readme. normally, when a user purchases a game, they receive full instructions, hints and tips on how to play. just my thoughts.

Thumbs up +1

2018-08-09 09:14:14

59 well said, totally agree with you.

Regards
Add me on skype
Follow me on twitter
Our blind community is unfairly treated, when it comes to games.

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 09:43:56

Yeah. It's why I decided not to purchase. that's rare for me, but I'm passing on this one.

2018-08-09 10:15:06

should be a free game as no randomness, no replay, nothing. so once beaten, that 30 dollars could have been spent on something else.

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 12:02:51

I think 30 dollars is too much on a game like this. AHC for example costs only 20 dollars while it offers a lot. The up coming Planet Saga how much will it cost? That's if it'll be paid. I'm sure won't get over 30 dollars if so. Sorry but the 1 dollar per level excuse isn't convincing for me. 1 dollar per level is too much, for that if the game contains over a hundred levels like BK3 will you charge 100 dollars for it? Just my opinion.

Regards
Add me on skype
Follow me on twitter
Our blind community is unfairly treated, when it comes to games.

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 12:46:07

I think the original $15 preorder price tag is fair personally.

2018-08-09 17:42:58 (edited by musicalman 2018-08-09 20:24:34)

@56, you need to jump over the skeleton when he is close to the center. You don't get swords until a little later. Each sword can only be used once, however. You don't get enough swords to kill everything, therefore you must be well-practiced in jumping over enemies and saving your swords for situations where you'll need them most.

As for criticisms, I'm going to subscribe to unpopular opinions here, but these are things I want to get out.
1. 30 dollars for 30 levels. If the levels were huge and expansive I'd say this is fair. It sounds excessive to me, however I will still purchase the game because I do enjoy the other levels demonstrated on Mason's TBRN, and I have a feeling that the last levels are going to be more epic. I can tell decent effort went into making each level as different as possible. The first 6-8 levels are pretty similar but after that it varies quite a lot. This show Mason did shows off the first 11 levels, and this one shows off levels 12-15. Maybe I am alone in this but those demos got me super excited, because not many side-scrollers have that kind of variety and sound design.

That said, replay value would be nice. Even in the USA games betas, there were difficulty levels that changed the speed/damage power of enemies. Something like this would be better than nothing I guess, though I of course would prefer more than that. I'd like a little more confirmation of what replay value stuff is coming, but oh well. Still, I will purchase the game because I am able to afford the price, and I've known Mason somewhat personally in the past, so I want to support him as a friend who is doing something I could never do, and trying to make something I have wanted to see since Alchemy's Montezuma's Revenge concept demo stalled. The USA Games versions never did it for me, but this one may be a close alternative to what the Alchemy version promised and never delivered.

2. Swords can only be used once, and doing a running jump from a standstill still takes you further than a normal jump. These are two mechanics that really don't make sense, but without them the game, in its present form, would be boring. For instance only being able to use swords once presents a challenge you wouldn't' get if you could use them over and over. Of course a case could be called to change the sword to something else that would be more realistic for a once-use mechanic. However in the old Alchemy monte, swords could only be used once and the explanation was that the sword became useless after slicing through undead flesh. If we're going to stick to swords that can only be used once, it would introduce more atmosphere into the game if this were explained in the manual. Same with running jumps taking you farther than normal jumps, even from a standstill. Maybe there's an excuse for it that will make sense. But at present, I feel like this game is sort of thrown together from other side-scroller elements and it works in its own way, but some things are a little odd. I am okay with that because I am pretty lenient about playing by a game's rules, so long as they aren't exceedingly unfair. But not everyone is willing to bow to the rules like that, they think it's just cheap design/coding/whatever else. And I get it, but I don't mind it as much I guess.

3. Launching the web site after exit. To each his own, but I don't see this as an intolerable problem, I just close my browser. Now if it did something like scare me with a loud noise, I would have issue. But this isn't that. Not for me, anyway.

4. Not an in-depth manual. As I've said multiple times, I still feel like the manual, and indeed the game, feels like a concept/beta to me. , I'd like to contribute somehow, and would be willing to improve or proof a future manual if Mason wants.

As you can tell, I'm really excited about the game despite my criticism. I just wish my excitement could be shared. Maybe it's just me but I feel a lot of these criticisms are not  made by excited people, but by people who really cannot tolerate the game in its present form. And it makes me sad because most of the criticism is justified and constructive, if not a little pecimistic at times. I will admit I don't well know the history of Darkflier or NS, and I don't know much about the Tomb Hunter project other than the beta 4.1 version I played a couple years ago. Maybe there's no excitement because TH just wasn't off to a good start or something? Or maybe with less than a month before release, it still feels really rough around the edges. I dunno. It was a pleasant surprise for me when I recently saw it was actually going to be released. Maybe i'm just overexcited right now. In any case, I hope the devs read this topic and the criticisms/problems people have been voicing, and plan to address some of them soon.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

Thumbs up +2

2018-08-09 18:02:41

@66
On the sword thing, for me it's not so much the fact that they can only be used once... it's the fact that you apparently throw a sword, and it cuts through like 3 separate things and just keeps on going. That's not what a sword does... lol. Not to mention, who throws a sword, anyway? Spears? Sure. Knives? Sure, maybe. Chakram? Definitely. A sword... nah.

"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
guards, skyrim

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 18:39:51 (edited by musicalman 2018-08-09 18:40:48)

Yeah, good point. To me that doesn't matter so much though, it's one of those things where I just go with it. I think throwing the sword sounds cool in the game though, so maybe the devs think the same thing and are reluctant to change it. Whether that's a good choice or not I guess remains to be seen. Maybe it will be changed, who knows?

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 19:22:10

meh i paid the 15 bucks for the game but yeah 30 is accessive. also i'm starting to kinda regret paying the 15 bucks. but have no real reason to ask for a refund. I'll play it probably.  but as i've sen others say. I can't jump over the damn fire put without doing a running jump going to the edge and jumping and holding down space and right arrow is getting me killed so.  And yes after further exploratin this still kinda feels like a concept demo which is why i regret paying for the release early. Oh well chalk it up to a lesson learned.  I guess I'm one of those guys that hopes for a realy awesome audio game on par with a hero's call cause that's my basis of comparing now and when it falls drastically short. I get let down and bummed out. No offense to the developers here on this game the concept is great. but I just Dunno.

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 19:38:30

how to finish level if i cee door? i forget it

email: [email protected]: skype: mahdi.abedi82
my name on playroom: mahdi-abedi
my teamtalk server information: mahdi.jc-hosting.me, ports 6661: tell me to give you account

2018-08-09 19:40:58

hi, the readme thing might be a problem for some, but I personally don't see where you're coming from. Many mainstream games offer little besides a basic tutorial to help you get started, and then it's time to figure stuff out on your own. Most of the super mario games didn't take time to explain what each enemy did as it was introduced. It was simply put in at a certain stage of the game, and you either figured out how to pass or kill it, or lost all your lives doing so. I don't see why this is a problem if th works like that, and for people who do want more information, that's what my walkthrough is there for. If there's anything you'd like to see in it that the readme doesn't cover, I'll do my best to put it in somewhere.

Bar, bar, bar...
Bar is my name and to go bar is my aim...
Sometimes I'll go "Bad bar",
But in the end its always bar, ahem beer, ahem bar! beer bar!

Thumbs up +1

2018-08-09 20:15:09

@67

Oddly enough, Treasure Hunt from BPC Programs,does this exact same concept with the sword throwing.

2018-08-09 20:48:35 (edited by musicalman 2018-08-09 22:09:48)

@69
Stand on the edge of fire pits and jump with control space and the right arrow. That will clear it. IF you just use space and right arrow, you will fall in the fire. Careful use of the g camera, and using x for your current position is helpful in determining the dimensions of what's around. Some practice jumps in combination with the above keys showed me how the jumping worked. In post 47 I explained more of that. Also, the shift arrows for review help too. For me at least, the game ultimately comes down to systematically working out the environment, particularly when it comes to platforming..

@71, this is another point I considered. We have people on both sides really. Those who can't figure out anything because the manual isn't detailed enough, and those who feel that we have too much handholding. If the library of games we could play was as vast as mainstream ones, I'd say the dev can do whatever he wants with manuals, because there are always simpler games to play for those who aren't yet confident in complex ones. But sadly it seems you need to go up the chain of audio games to enjoy anything coming out today, simply because the number of developers and games are small, and as a community I think we feel we have a lot of catching up to do with the mainstream world, so every audio game has to be inspired by the last, but have more in it. And it seems audio game manuals are getting shorter and shorter overall. So the decision as to how much to include and how much not to include in a manual is a decision that a dev must make carefully. Given the large amount of confused people on this topic, I'd say we're not ready for a dive-right-in approach yet. That said, a few dozen people isn't really a good sampling, so perhaps it's too early to tell. That will ultimately be up to Darkflier and NS. I think a more verbose manual would make the game look more well thought out if nothing else, but that's just me.

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 21:11:50

i can't figure out which way to go after i grab the first scroll but thanks for that it helped. I'll look at 47.

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 21:12:56

also why can't we save the game like he showed in the demo of him playing levels 1 through 8? that would be helpful instead of having to start all the way from the beginning.

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 22:12:17 (edited by musicalman 2018-08-09 22:13:30)

Apparently it was because of how easily it was to exploit. I'm not sure exactly what that means. My guess is, in the old betas it would literally save your progress at the spot you were at. So if you were in a spot where you knew you would mess up, you could save, and if you did in fact mess up, you could reload and try again, and do that as many times as you needed to until you did it just the way you wanted, which is bordering on unfair. The continue game feature doesn't seem to exist in here though, which was supposed to be the compromise. It would take you to the beginning of the level you died on, with the same stats you had when you entered. Similar to how Super Liam does.

Thumbs up

2018-08-10 00:22:03

oh well at least  I only paid the 15 dollar price instead of the full 30

Thumbs up

2018-08-10 04:21:48

@72
It actually didn't, it was a melee weapon. You never lost your sword, it was just inaccurate.

"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
guards, skyrim

Thumbs up

2018-08-10 05:43:35

Hello all
Agree with what everyone has been saying, a good game but issues in previous posts should probably be addressed if possible.  With that being said, found what I think is quite a large bug in level 5.
*spoilers ahead*

In the middle of jumping all of those pits with the vanishing platforms, I fell in one and landed on dirt.  To my left is a wall that I can't seem to jump over to get back to the ladder to climb back up.  To the right is nothing.  Above me I can see that the pits are there as well as the level scroll and what I assume to be the ladder to the next area.  So I can't climb back up to try the pits again, I can't kill myself by falling in one or letting an enemy kill me, I am completely stuck.  Since there is no way of saving, I must quit and start from level 1 again.  Perhaps as others have said, the game can at least save when a level is completed?  If I were on level 29 for example and somehow had something similar happen, I'd be pretty angry to have to start the game over again if I spent 2 hours getting to that point.
I am considering purchasing the game but as said above, maybe some of these issues can be addressed before release or with updates afterwards?
Thanks

Thumbs up

2018-08-10 15:00:39

Hi where i can find a sword

Thumbs up

2018-08-10 15:47:05 (edited by musicalman 2018-08-10 15:47:44)

@BlindJay
I seem to remember something similar on an earlier level, at least in the old betas. It's right near the level portal, there's a drop-off you can fall down and get stuck somewhere near the bottom of the map with nothing to do and no way to get back up. Can't remember what level it is though, and maybe it was fixed in the demo. The beta and the demo are honestly so similar that I have trouble distinguishing my experiences between the two.

Thumbs up

2018-08-10 15:51:13

hi, from what I can see, most if not all of the places where you could fall into nothingness were indeed walled off, so that can't happen anymore. At least, it doesn't happen anywhere it used to, thankfully.

Bar, bar, bar...
Bar is my name and to go bar is my aim...
Sometimes I'll go "Bad bar",
But in the end its always bar, ahem beer, ahem bar! beer bar!

Thumbs up

2018-08-10 16:12:38

actually it happened to me yesterday i fell down a pit and didn't even have walls when i scanned left and right it said nothing  so i felt like i was in this wasteland of sand lol. and yes, it was sand. I tried to reproduce the bug but no luck so far.

Thumbs up