2018-08-07 05:22:55

I feel mixed on this demo.
It doesn't seem like it's changed in the months since the last one, their are ropes that go nowhere because their are ladders right next to them, the old single use sword thing still seems to be used here which, personally I always hated, and even though the enemies hit pretty hard it doesn't seem like you start with any weapon?
The running jump thing is pretty cool, but at the same time, it means levels have to be further spaced out and pits will not be able to be put close together, plus I wonder how we will do more advanced platforming if we are limited by that? like is it even possible to jump up and 2 tiles right in this game to get onto a platform above you?
The scanner is awesome though, because it can see through walls and shows hazards, and it even describes how far drops are, which I don't think I've seen before.
The death sounds really should be replaced though, and the intro seen didn't make allot of sense to me, plus it seems like the documentation might be a little out of date? Not being able to press s to fire the weapon for instance, which is a weird key choice anyway...
I think I need to play it more my self.

This... -- Is CNN'.
Well Ted, it sure looks like there's been uh, quite a bit of violence around here
"aaoh, that violence was terrible'!"
Yeah it was, pretty bad.

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 06:08:21

hi vlad25
demo provides the register option, which will do nothing except preregister your copy of TombHunter for when it is released! Have fun!

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 08:09:13

connor142 wrote:

@23 to increase your jumping power, you must pick up speed. You run at your max speed after 5 steps, so before a hazzard, back up  5 steps, then run towards it and jump when on the ledge or one step before.

Or simply hold down the control key when jumping.

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

2018-08-07 09:08:23

hi @28 and others, mason has responded to suggestions for replayability in the positive, and acording to him, something to that nature will be added. Maybe not in the initial version, but in a future update.

Bar, bar, bar...
Bar is my name and to go bar is my aim...
Sometimes I'll go "Bad bar",
But in the end its always bar, ahem beer, ahem bar! beer bar!

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 11:04:38 (edited by musicalman 2018-08-07 11:07:57)

@defender:
The ropes that go nowhere are intentional I think. They allow you to swing over wide drops that are very hard to jump over. Is there a specific point you're asking about?
Personally I think swords that can only be used once are cool, though perhaps unrealistic. In some of the old Mota betas, you collected one sword, and with it you could basically kill everything from the first level onward, which is IMHO really cheap in the sense that it makes the game considerably easier. Tomb Hunter isn't a fighting game like a lot of side-scroller audio games, it's more predicated on agility with weapons being preferable only in dangerous situations. You should save your weapons btw, because while you get a lot of them, it looks like there are some spots where they'll really be useful/necessary, and the last thing you want is to run out before you reach one of those spots.

The jumping system is interesting. Yes, obstacles could hypothetically be close together. ?There is a section of the demo where they are, though admittedly there are vanishing platforms to help you since the chasms are large. But, situations where you do have to make precision jumps come up, especially if you want to minimize damage. For example when jumping onto ropes. you can often avoid missing the rope by taking a very careful jump onto it.

And yes, jumping up and a step to the right is possible; there's a spot in level 5 I believe where there is a rope with a burning tip. There are two places to jump off the rope. Once in the middle for some goodies, and once near the ground. I think the scroll might be in the middle, so you'll need to get it. If you miss it and hit the ground, you can still jump up onto the rope and climb up. If you don't allow yourself to get high enough before moving right or left, you will touch the burning tip and die, but if you allow yourself to go up a little before moving, you will make it back onto the rope unscathed.

I do agree though that a lot of things need some polishing. It still does feel like a beta/concept version to me.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

Thumbs up +1

2018-08-07 11:27:51

ropes are ment as things to bridge large jumps or gaps. This is the reason there is one right next to a ladder in level 1. You can either make the jump onto the rope and then jump from there to the ladder. Or if you mis the jump, you may very easily fall 10 feat making you take fall damage. Regardless, you're not getting on that ladder unless you either take the damage or use the rope.

Bar, bar, bar...
Bar is my name and to go bar is my aim...
Sometimes I'll go "Bad bar",
But in the end its always bar, ahem beer, ahem bar! beer bar!

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 12:18:43

I still say being able to hold down the control key while jumping even if you're standing still to go further is kinda ridiculous, but what do I know.

2018-08-07 12:42:06

i can't download the game the site cannot be found? also, i'm sorry but for 30 USAID i would expect randomness? it is boring when nothing changes no replay at all. even the old games back in the day of USA games were all the same

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 14:19:25

Hi guys! Well, is it me or, i just cant download the demo! it just doesn't do anithing. No error, but no download is started. I've tried with free download manager but still no luck. Can anyone upload the demo to somewhere else? or i'm missing something. Thank you! Really want to play this for shure

get the games creation on the cide
because gamecreator will do it!
really want to develope a game...
thanks, gamecreator!

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 14:23:08

um
page not found

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 15:24:11 (edited by musicalman 2018-08-07 15:25:43)

Yeah Liam, that is indeed a little silly, but I'm glad for it since a lot of the chasms require more than your standard jump to get over, and running up to the edge to get enough of a start would be a little scary. Part of me is glad it isn't always necessary, but then again it would create a challenge!

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 16:15:57

It would have been even more promising if he makes the worth of replayability a thing before releasing, rather than just giving a promise which doesn't even seem obvious that he's actually "doing" it. No offence, that's just my point of view here.

My sskype : mars.bhuntamata, add away buddy. If you think you are crazy, I am as well. I may be even crazier, who knows.

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 17:25:43

Hi all when I clicked the link to download the game I get an error message, why? I moved to the link and right clicked on it and I arrowd down to open. That's when I got that message. Can someone please send me a new link please?

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 17:32:56

hello. it looks like something is happening cause i can't verify my license.

Thumbs up

2018-08-07 20:49:08

Hello. The site seems to be unavailable, I get the following message when trying to access the download link or the site itself: Chrome error: chrome webdata.
that's the only thing that's displayed on the page so I guess it must have something to do with the site because all other sites I tried work fine for me.

feel free to add me to your Skype. it is valentin.velecico.9
nothing is impossible.

2018-08-08 00:31:37

I have one tiny gripe about something in the game: The acceleration thing. It's cool, in concept, but terrible for a platformer like this, at least in my experience. Then again, I might just suck at the game but... Ya know. Anyhow, my example is simply that there are times when you need to jump over a pit and you just don't have the velocity to do it. You have to get a running start which isn't always possible, and makes some of the earlier levels downright unbeatable unless you get really, really lucky. I dunno if this is only my opinion, but that's an issue I have with it.

"There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. Then the science gets done, and you make a neat gun for the people who are still alive."

Thumbs up

2018-08-08 00:37:13

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
a
h
e
a
d

Sorry for the lines but, something crazzy has happenned. I were in level 2, mannaged to reatch at the end of it, but whilet rying to jump into it the platform bannished. And i survived the fall! But there's no way to get up again big_smile Other than that, nice game so far, keep it up!

get the games creation on the cide
because gamecreator will do it!
really want to develope a game...
thanks, gamecreator!

Thumbs up

2018-08-08 02:44:36

Dragomier
Agreed on the accelearation thing to a point. It works fine in the demo levels though once you know how jumping works.
***spoiler ahead***
If you take a normal jump (space with arrow keys), you move 3 squares max. If you do a running jump (control and space and arrow keys), even from standing still, you can move max 5 squares. If you run about 3 steps and then do a running jump, your jump will take you max 7 squares. Running more than 3 or 4 steps won't make you jump further, so if you want to go for maximum jump length, you don't need to accelerate that long.

The thing is, normally, 4 or 5 squares are sufficient. So just walk up to the edge of a trap and press control space and the direction you want to go and you should clear it without a running start. Cheap, but it's probably a good thing. Otherwise almost every jump you would make would have to have a running start, which is not at all something I would be comfortable with.

Thumbs up

2018-08-08 03:18:29

***Spoilers***
@47, I think there's a level... right after the bonus level... Might be level one of tomb 2, that gives me issues and I think this is the culprit. You have to jump a pit that's like seven squares, but you have to land between two pits. And if acceleration weren't there, it'd be a lot easier. Then to have to deal with that on those vanishing platforms... Not fun.

"There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. Then the science gets done, and you make a neat gun for the people who are still alive."

Thumbs up

2018-08-08 03:26:33

I am wondering a few things.
1. Will Mason add checkpoints in the game?
2. Will Mason add a difficult level selection?
3. Will Mason add a save game feature?
4. Will Mason add something that explains the story to the game?
From what I have played on the demo I am excited about getting this game.
I been wanting to play Tomb Raider in years.
After I lost my sight was not able to play Tomb Raider nor Indiana Jones games.

Thumbs up

2018-08-08 15:24:46

@48:
I've never had a situation where a running jump was necessary. If you're sure it's the first level of tomb 2 that you're having trouble with, I can look into it.

There are a few times when a running jump can save you some time, for example in level 1 there's a wide chasm with a rope to get you across, and by doing a very precisely timed running jump you can clear the chasm in one go. But imo it's not worth it, it's easier just to jump onto the rope, though that in and of itself isn't too easy either. You need good reflexes and timing to make it in either case,  (though the rope is still easier), else you'll fall down and take some damage. Thankfully it's not too much, but it's good to practice both I suppose, just to get a nice handle on jumping.

Thumbs up

2018-08-08 17:45:23

I don't know what it is, I just know that in come cases, I have issues jumping over pits like that. I know there are pits that have four spaces of hazardous squares, and I'll end up landing on the very last one. It's not fun.

Thumbs up

2018-08-08 18:19:30

How do you get onto the ropes? i'm having trouble with that.

Also, in a future version, could we not have it launch Mason's website every time the game exits? That's slightly unnecessary. I get that it's meant to promote preordering, but I got the hint the first time, there's no need for it to continuously happen.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-09 00:49:40

@52, are you stepping on the very edge of a pit, and using control space and the arrow to jump? That should clear it.

Thumbs up

2018-08-09 01:31:47

does this game work with a controller? by chance? also how do i get past the guy that beats me up on the first tomb? i can't find any swords.

Thumbs up