2018-08-06 00:58:21

Hi
Does anyone know of an accessible clip-on guitar tuner? I use talking tuner, but sometimes my surroundings are to loud and it gives me inaccurate results.
Thanks

2018-08-06 08:41:28

Hi Haylee and welcome to the forum!
Well tuners are confused by noise, especially other people talking. While your tuning, bring your guitar into a quiet place and tune, that should solve your problem. From what I've heard talking tuner is very accurate, so as long as it's quiet you should have an easy time tuning your guitar.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-06 09:09:14

hi
hmmm
I m use talking tuner
and work good

2018-08-06 19:57:26

I never even heard of talking tuner.  is it an app or an actual device?

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-08-06 20:21:31

Hi G-Rad.
From what I know of it, it is a device just like any other guitar tuner, it just happens to be accessible, unlike your regular tuners at music stores. It would be cool to have an app for tuning, I've never heard of one though.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-06 20:40:50

This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.

Description

HotPaw Talking Tuner is a hands-off, sound-activated, talking, chromatic, musical instrument tuner. It talks to tell you if your instrument is in tune or not; so you don't even have to look at it or touch the display. Talking Tuner uses speech synthesis, and works with or without VoiceOver being enabled.

This app was created because I received a request to develop an iPhone app which could help a vision-challenged individual tune their musical instrument. This app is the result.

With the Auto-Speak switch turned on, Talking Tuner will listen for a note to be played, and then, after waiting for the end of the sound (so as not to talk over it), will speak the note name, and how many cents sharp or flat the end of the note is estimated to be.

Using headphones may help make it easier to hear what this app is saying while tuning. Make sure to turn the volume up high enough to hear it.

The pitch estimation algorithm works best for notes between 2 octaves below Middle-C to 2 octaves above Middle-C. It may not work as well for very low notes, very high notes, or with any background noise, harmony, or accompaniment present. The default tuning resolution is about +- 3 cents (3/100ths of the pitch difference between semitones). Optional higher resolution tuning settings may result in a slower tuning response.

2018-08-07 02:56:17

my god that is useful anyways so I don't have to have someone who can see tune my guitar. I'm like getting started with it.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-08-07 03:20:38

Talking Tuner is an app.

The alternative to a clip on is a new tuner called the Roadie 2. IT has a menu, but basic tuning can be accessed simply by pressing the power button twice to turn it on and engage tuning mode. The way itworks is vibration censing. Instead of picking up on noise from a mic like your conventional tuner, you fit one end around one peg at a time, in the order from owest string  highest. When you pluck, it matches the vibration it detects and turns the tuning peg for you, and when it detects the proper tuning it will vibrate and make an audible beep.

I emailed Band industries about adding accessibility updates, and they seemed receptive but haven't made any progres since the first response.. so we will have to see. But I use mine with very good success at loud gigs. Check it out at:
www.bandindustries.com

There is a companion app, but unfortunately doesn't let you control the actual tuner, only edit what's stored on it such as saved instruments and tunings, etc. The website gives better information, but I highly recommend it to anyone on the market for a tuner that's at least partially accesible and doesn't need you to pull your phone out and fiddle with apps.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-08-07 09:44:45 (edited by flackers 2018-08-07 09:57:37)

I've had the talking tuner app for a while. It seems okay, but in practice, I've found I only really use it as a second opinion for setting intonation. Like at the moment I've been trying to sort out a banjo ukulele for my dad's friend, and I couldn't work out why certain chords sounded fine, and others sounded horrible no matter how much I tuned it or moved the bridge to adjust the intonation. By using the talking tuner to analyse each note as I fretted them, I found the third string, C, was pretty sharp when fretted near the nut because the recess wasn't deep enough and the string was sitting too high. If you fretted it at the second fret, it was quite a bit sharp. Not so noticeable when playing something like an E7 because the D note was acting as the 7th, but horrible when playing a G because the D is now a fifth, and those need to be pretty close to perfect. So it's useful for stuff like that, but for every day tuning, if you have been playing a while and have developed your ear, I don't find it the quickest way to get a guitar in tune. I still tend to favour my old chromatic tuner gadget, which just plays a tone for each note, starting with C. It doesn't need to be accessible. You just pres the button to move through the notes, and you know when you're at C because it's the lowest note, so there's a very noticeable drop in pitch from the highest note, B, to the lowest C. I also think it's useful to tune by ear as much as possible because it develops your appreciation for the sound of out-of-tune intervals. Because guitars, especially acoustics, don't have perfect intonation, and equal temperament tuning isn't perfect anyway. So just tuning the six open strings isn't always the best way to get a guitar to sound good when it's fretted, which it mostly is. My own preference is to get it up to pitch with a tuner, then tweek it by playing octaves round about the fifth fret. Like for instance, in standard tuning, the 5th fret 3rd string played with the 8th fret first string, is a C octave. The 5th fret first string with the 7th fret fourth is an A octave, and so on. It can be a bit of a juggling act to get all the octaves on different string pairs to sound absolutely perfect, as octaves should, but if they do, and the guitar has decent intonation, chords should sound pretty good.

2018-08-07 13:15:25 (edited by aaron77 2018-08-07 13:16:20)

I always hated talking tuner.  It's very slow and inefficient.
@8:  Pretty sure they still sell the original Roadie, which though won't tune your strings via vibrations, is fully accessible because it has to be paired to your Smartphone to be used.  Does Roadie 2 not work with the Roadie app?  Browsing the app's changelogs, it appears that it does, though the app may only allow you to sync tunings.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2018-08-07 16:00:17

The Roadie 2 isn't controllable the same way the original Roadie is. And they do both go off vibration censors, so it works either way.. it simply comes down to whether you want to pull your phone out whenever you want to use it or not. Wit hthe Roadie 2, you don't have to. You do with the original... the only thing the roadie 2 with the app allows you to do is to sync tunings and other setings. But I love my Roadie 2. I have perfect pitch so seldom use it for a full tune, but it's dang handy for mid-gig retunings when I can't bend down to put my ear to my electric and check without looking weird. And it's just a fun thing to have.. when I first got it I retuned all three of my guitars with it just for the fun factor! The thing also works with pretty much any stringed instrument, and there is a version specific for bass. And using custom tunings, you can litterally tune to anything in seconds and there's no need to retune for complex alternate tunings by yourself if you play those styles.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-08-07 17:21:42

Being able to quickly switch to alternate tunings is amazing.  Before I had my Roadie, The songs I was trying to learn in alternate tunings were almost always put off simply because I lost motivation when I had to tune my guitar, even though it realistically didn't take long to switch over.
There is something de-motivating about switching tunings manually for me.  I don't know what it is.  I guess I'd just rather pick up my guitar and play.  My little Roadie solves that problem real nicely though, because I can switch back and fourth within about 15-20 seconds.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2018-08-10 22:18:27

So what about tuning a Bass Guitar? Including 4, 5, and 6 String Basses?

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.