2018-08-05 15:00:18

OK guys. so this one has been bugging me for the last 5 or so weeks now. so for around 18 months now, I've been using the same product key, on my old school retired laptop, when suddenly, the laptop told me, my key will expire on the 15th of September. I didn't really worry about it, though, and just continued with life. I tried researching, I mean, I literally! digged through google, and apparently licenses don't expire, only volume licenses do. as of August, the laptop, now does not! activate at all! just says something went wrong, but still shows my product key above. after running the key through an application, I got the following. Win 8.1 RTM Professional Volume:GVLK

EULA Type: Volume  window.
again, tried looking up in google, but I can't find out what I'm after. if anyone would be kind as to explain.
1) what does RTM, in this case, stand for?
2) is RTM a form of volume license, are the 2 even related?
3) do these ever expire?
4) anything else I should know? thanks so much!
PS. I'd post this on twitter, but don't think I have the right circle of followers for it...

2018-08-05 15:16:15

Released To Manufacturers

It is the version of Windows released to manufacturers before it is released to the general public so that the manufacturers can work out any bugs related to hardware devices.

2018-08-05 16:45:42

I found that too, but how would that affect me in terms of product keys? like, how could a product key be released before it's released to the public, and how would that prevent me from reactivating? that's the confusing part.

2018-08-05 16:51:35

Theoretically it shouldn't. An RTM key is technically an OEM key; one that is specifically tailored for that machine in particular and only works for that one machine. They should never expire so long as they're used on that machine and that machine only. Can't find what a volume window is.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-05 17:38:06

this is the only, one and only entry, that I  could find. Generic Volume License Key (GVLK) is used when you want to use for instance KMS for Windows license management. GVLK keys are publicly available on the internet, but should not be used without a central license management service running.19 Sep 2014
gvlk? Windows 8.1 questions! - Forums - CNET

2018-08-05 17:50:26

OK, think I'm getting somewhere.
. quoting directly from
https://github.com/SystemRage/py-kms/wi … -GVLK-Keys
Windows 8.1 Professional
GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9
that product key above, is exactly the same key as mine.
too bad I still don't know why it refuses to activate. I mean, I have a few guesses but.

2018-08-05 18:12:44

The only thing I can think of relating to keys and volume is volume license keys. These are keys issued to large corporations so that they can install and activate Windows on all of their computers without needing to have a single unique key for each machine.

In answer to why it won't activate, If that key is freely available over the internet, Microsoft may have marked it as invalid in such a way that existing installations will continue to work, but new installations won't activate.

2018-08-05 19:27:01

I have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities... 1) what you've described, especially since microsoft wants nothing with 8.1, has been done. 2) the school that this thing used to belong to, didn't renew, assuming these expire...

2018-08-05 20:29:38

Volume license keys don't expire unless Microsoft chooses to expire them itself.

Keys for prerelease editions do expire, but they usually expire on the date the product is released, not years later.

2018-08-06 01:18:41

in other words, my key should be still valid? so is there any other reason, besides Microsoft pulling the plug somewhere, for it to not activate?

2018-08-06 01:48:06

None that I can think of. Usually if a key won't activate over the internet, it will give you a number you can call to activate Windows manually.

2018-08-06 10:39:16

I'm concerned that you found your exact key somewhere on the net. This makes me think one of a few things has happened.

1. Your school took the easy way out, activating Windows on their laptops with a pirated key they found on the net. Microsoft found the key in the wild and killed it so it won't work any more.

2. Another student or staff from your school posted your school's perfectly valid key somewhere on the net. Again, Microsoft found the key in the wild and killed it.

If either of these cases are true, you'll probably have to buy a license if you don't already have an extra one.

2018-08-06 11:10:54

if you see the gitHub link I posted, these are the public 8.1 keys, which shouldn't activate in the first place at all. so I'm honestly not sure how my school was able to activate it.
as for post 11, there's an error when I try to activate, I can post the error code if it helps. I may ask if microsoft can help, I can give them my product ID, but no clue if they're willing, since it's not running the latest and greatest.

2018-08-06 13:56:51

Good point, because 8.1 is old enough that the free support window has closed long ago. If you call Microsoft for tech support they'll want to charge you and then they'll just tell you to get Windows 10.

2018-08-06 15:37:13

so here is where we currently stand. I get 0x8007232b when trying to activate.
contacted Microsoft, more specifically, the disability desk, since everything else just sent me back to articles. the guy told me to call the volume license service, but since the number in question is paid, and since the laptop is not under my name, and since, it's highly unlikely that they'd fix it, I didn't. then I went over to Samsung, the guy kept telling me to boot into the Samsung recovery solutions, even though I told him my recovery partition is long since gone. I didn't even get into the topic of my screen having shattered internally a while back, in other words, you can't see anything at all, but in short, those guys can't give me my original OEM key based upon my serial number. so I think I'll just settle with win10 on the thing, unless anyone knows of anything, and I'll see if I can snap up another 8.1 from somewhere. there are still issues like the NVDA UI issue, for example, not to mention file explorer lagging for no reason every now and then, which prevent me from going win10  full time.
so yes, this was a fun morning. at least these online chat services are pretty accessible, much to my surprise.

2018-08-06 17:17:39

You'll need sighted help for this but your OEM product key for Windows should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

Depending on where you live, you might look on eBay, you can probably pick up a copy of Windows 8.1 from there for pretty cheap. That will give you a whole new product key to use.

That's odd that Windows 10 lags on your machine, it was supposed to be lighter weight CPU and memory wise than Windows 7 or 8.x.

2018-08-06 18:40:21

that's where I looked first, apparently the sticker is so warn off, not even the Microsoft logo can be made out of it... as for the product key, can we still trust these sellers selling keys? I mean, I'd try it, but not sure if they're reliable.
win10 doesn't really lag, in fact, it's quite snappy, but the OS itself, I don't find as responsive, regardless of PC, hardware, or setting. like, NVDA says settings, instantly, then 2 seconds later, I land in the search box. file explorer, is known for lagging. it's just things alike, that I'd rather stay away from, least for now. but win10 is almost as bad as win7, in terms of memory management, at least, it's nowhere near 8, based on my experiments.

2018-08-06 19:28:54

I will grant you that, eBay can sometimes be a minefield, but if you stick to sellers with lots of feedback and over 95% positive, you should be OK. The Amazon marketplace is another place to look those vendors may be pricier than eon eBay.

I know what you mean about Explorer getting laggy, that is why I am in the process of learning how to use JAWS' custom highlight feature so I can make my favorite file manager accessible, it makes explorer look simply anemic and replaces a bunch of utilities you have to have with explorer. Once I get that working, I'll never use Explorer again.

2018-08-06 19:45:39

hi mister braille. i'm sorry buddy, but you out of luck. your key is not valid.
volume licence keys do. * not. expire. if this key has been on this laptop for years. and now its suddenly telling you that its expiring, and if you saw this key on the internet, it does mean, you have to obtain a new key.
sorry but that is the short and sweet.
i have one option you can try that mite, just mite work.
apologies if you did try this and did not mention this. when it gives you the error. use the option in sted of activating online. use the phone option, instead. there's a long set of codes you have to type in to the microsoft phone system. and it will generate a activation ID for you that you type back in to the wizard. i've had some odd issues before. that the phone system saved me from.. it had to do with reinstelations before the MS account days. and i tried to do it, to soon after each other causing, the activation server to freeck out.
there was good reasons for me dooing so. but the online server did not wanna here about it. the phone system saved me there.
I hope this helps. but, as I said, the fact your key is on the net, is not a good thing.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-08-06 20:02:34

to post 19... I don't get activate by phone as an option at all... it's nowhere to be found.
to post 18. JAWS could be, but is not an option. while I haven't checked this myself, JAWS in the UK, on the site village offer, would cost me £115. then, apparently, £95 for the SMA, when major releases get released. that would also only give me 2 activation keys, and I have 3 laptops as it stands, so it would be a waste of money, that I would perhaps never see again. in all honesty, as you've said yourself, eBay is the answer. from eBay, for that price, I can pick up a neat little laptop, my £60 dell still works, that I purchased last year.
I did look at keys on eBay, they're affordable enough, but I'm  not that great at eBay, so will speak with the family, and listen to what they think I should do.

2018-08-06 21:26:18

If you aren't in the US, the option to activate by phone may not be available to you.

That sounds odd, as far as I know, Freedom Scientific has always allowed activation on up to three machines. I deal directly with Freedom Scientific, if you have to go through a local dealer, they might have different arrangements.

2018-08-06 23:39:21

is that for home or pro? and no, I usually see the phone option, least on my win7 box, when I first activated, but activating that with it's OEM key worked the first time, so never really had to bother with it from then onwards. I've put it back to win10 for now, I'll have to see what the family recommends to do.

2018-08-07 00:21:05

I use the Home use license, but I don't think the license type matters, but what do I know?