2018-08-03 17:23:45

Legends of drizzt Do'Urden. It isa huge collection, with like 33 books and still going on. I read it complete once. It's that only which you're saying ... But what I loved most about those books was the reflections of Drizzt. I didn't like his adventures, love life  etc but enjoyed reading those self-reflections he put fourth which gives the life a whole new meaning if interpreted correctly.

2018-08-04 11:03:42

The month of august, when in India the season of rain is at its best, days start to get cold, and the string of festivals which would end at Diwali will start.

Also, for the last five years, the month when I would start to get hit by cases of cold. This year is no different. As I write this post, my throat is quite sore.

On the other front, college finally started, (they were about to start it back at the June, then shifted to July, and finally started the classes at August first.)

While I do think that I am making friends there, my anti-social nature is kind of getting in the way. Now, I am not that kind of anti-social, who would drive any and all contact away. I just like my personal time, and I prefer that people approach me first, rather than me talking to them first.

What else, my programming class is continuing, now I am at the stage where my teacher is giving me tasks as a test to complete. So far, it is kind of like hit and miss, I want to make it hit and hit.

But during all of that, I really didn’t have any time to either play games, work on my fanfiction, or just to enjoy myself. Now that I got the Saturday free, I am sick.

Imagine my surprise when I came into the monthly chat, to find another Indian like me, and someone who sings Bollywood songs.

@Dark:
Thank you for recommending all those books previous month, I think I like the Dresden files best out of them.

2018-08-04 20:30:55

I don't usually read science fiction novels too much, but I'm working on one called Have Space Suit, Will Travel, and it's by a well renowned sci fi author who also wrote one called the Red Planet. Robert A. Heinlein should ring a bell in you all's ears. Shouldn't be too bad, but the book is about a teenager who is abducted by aliens. No kidding. As for Amazon, we don't usually have problems with porch pirates, or another resident stealing our things. Trenton put A Capella voices on his Chrome, namely one, Tracy. It's weird hearing that on his Chromebook, really weird.
As for studies, I'd like to think I could go back to college. Trenton, the Queenslight who obviously wants to change his name for some reason, thinks I should go back to college. But no, I had a debt on my head and they sent it to collections, then I had to appeal due to mental health crisis, then ... who knew. I was not notified of anything else regarding my college appeal. I also can't pay the debt because it's over $2000 and I can't afford it because then I'd have so much less a month in my government check, and working may be out of the question because what if I have a second mental health crisis? As for the books I love to read, usually it's memoirs and history and nonfiction. There's one about a high schooler's attempts at surviving sexual assault that I was reading, and she'd gone to a boarding school that pretty much had rape culture written all over it. She left this school after a senior boy hurt her, but she had to go to a community school anyway, and I bet she doesn't want a boyfriend. This girl, eventually graduating from high school, might become a lawyer. So if anyone gets into trouble, watch out.
In any case, I've read so many books it's not even funny. Trenton and I will head off to a Chinese place later on today.
Beth

2018-08-05 08:10:31

@DarkEagle don't you think in the month of August there're too many power outages? LOL. And where are you from and what college/stream are you pursuing?

2018-08-05 15:06:07

@Gaurav:

it wouldn't be India if there were no power outages. I am from Indore Madhya Pradesh, and currently I am doing be.com and computer applications. I am currently at the  arihant coledge, which is a branch of the university of Indore named DABV. (the name is too long.)

2018-08-06 10:21:41

"Gaurav, Mrs. dark has read Salvatore's modern fantasy trilogy, woods out back and is going to try some of the Drizzt ones, I'll be interested to see what she thinks of them.

For some of my thoughts on usual fantasy you can check out my review of Raymand Feist's Magician over on fantasybookreview.co.uk.

"Dark eagle, amusing to think of it being cold and rainy this time of year, but hay such is the fun of the southern hemisphere, Lol.

Right now its still bloody hot in Britain, or at least far hotter than it usually is, which is actually proving a major pain.

"Beth I've read a few of Heinlein's books, and Mrs. Dark has read far more. They can vary quite a bit. The red planet was the first braille book i ever read for pleasure and I remember really enjoying Moon is a harsh mistress, on the other hand Fear no evil was pretty terrible. I did do a review of Heinlein's book "the cat who walks through walls", which actually has a lot of imho interesting points about Heinlein, EG he wrote very good sf when not going on long diatribes about how great the world would be if everyone slept with everyone else all the time big_smile.

Sorry to hear about the uni and mental health issues, I can sympathise myself, though university was probably the one place  in my life where people were sort of vaguely decent, then again as I now have my phd goodness knows what I'm going to do with my life next.

We should be trying out Amazon today. Amusingly enough, my 3.5 to 3.5 jack, for connecting my senheisa momentum headphones into my pc on along extention cable turned up no problem, however now the bloody headphone cable has gone poof.

I can use the cable with the volume control attachment if I plug it directly into the pc, but not if I plug the extention in (god I hate those little control things, they don't do any good), so once again I am denied the luxury of lounging about on my sofa and using the pc big_smile.

Well at least that makes writing easier, and I have a book review to finish, for the aforesaid book The Host all about alien invasion, body bsnatchers and romance.

speaking of aliens, my lady and I are now reading David Brin's uplift trilogy. This is really! awesome, about a galaxy where one species attains sentience by being "uplifted" by another, accept for humans who managed to uplift themselves. Really well written with some exceptional world building and genuinely fascinating conflicts, plus awesomely alien aliens, and as a bonus, you get to see what societies of evolved neochimps and neo dolphins would be like, indeed in one of the previous books of the series Star tide rising, most of the characters are actually neo dolphins.

I'm also watching through season 3 of Angel, the spinoff to buffy the vampire slayer. This is proving pretty fantastic actually. I missed the hole Buffy thing first time around, and the only episode I caught wasn't a good one. after really enjoying Firefly though, it Buffy and Angel were recommended to me, and I've been really liking them since.

I usually watch series like this, getting a series on dvd and doing it through, since I don't have a tv license and I dont tend to watch enough to make a subscription to netflicks worth it. Also oddly enough, its actually cheeper to buy stuff on dvd than stream it most of the time, which is utterly and completely nuts!

So hope everyone else is having a good time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-06 20:10:38

@Dark:
apparently, even the people of asia are not used to extreme heat, I heard that this year in Japan, the tempreture of tokyo was quite higher than the normally observed there.
but honestly, tempreture like 42 digrees is nothing during the summer season in India.

also, currently the coldness is due to the rain, after this, the true cold season will start around october, would get more harsh during december, and finally comes to the normal around febuary and march. then back to the abnormal heat.

2018-08-06 20:19:06

@Dark: do you think the evolution depicted in science fiction is actually possible? That we can become the beings of higher dimensions somehow? Or we can evolve ourselves to such an extent that we don't need our physical bodies to exist anymore, we can exist in energy or thought form? I've read about such evolution in star trek and many more books but so far they've been only achieved by civilisations which are like million years old.

2018-08-07 04:26:21

Lol Dark eagle, I imagine hot temperatures in India are pretty extreme by Uk standards. One of the problems in Britain though is that the weather always changes so much people don't get chance to get used to one thing, so when it does do one thing such as get really hot for a while  people tend to be caught on the hop a bit.

@Gaurav The idea of becoming pure consciousness or energy is a popular one in sf, though with some of the more recent ideas about energy and matter both being similar quantom states just with differences in perception, in one sense we might be considered to be energy already big_smile.
Interestingly enough, Brin has a lot of advanced alien civilisations, many of which have gone on for hundreds of millions of years, but never mentions the possibility of changing into an energy state, even though he has probably everything else.

Whether it might be possible I'm not sure myself, since part of the basic idea would depend upon maintaining a view of the universe and the way forces and matter interact rather similar to the one that we have now for a considerably long time, which does not seem reasonable given the way scientific thought changes, indeed those who usually postulate the idea of becoming pure consciousness in an energy form also maintain a rather unrealistic idea of science as a continually progressive process which isn't particularly accurate if you look at how science actually works , EG Thomas Kuhn's notion of paradigm shifts.

So while its a lovely idea to play with (its one I'm actually thinking of for a short story myself), how accurate it would end up being I'm not sure.

of course its also based on the idea that the human race will actually evolve in a vaguely hopeful direction, something which I'm less sure about myself, since we're really not great as species go.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-08 12:12:17

Well this morning I got an email to say that the webmaster of fantasybookreview.co.uk has already uploaded my review of The Host. the Stephenie Meyer book I mentioned in post one.

You can Read it here

2018-08-08 13:15:58

I love the Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but have yet to hear it read with grammar corrections done proper. I was reading that book on Bookshare, and look at that! Errors in Braille, spelling, and punctuation and dot combos were everywhere. The Red Planet was a great book to read, but I have a huge question for you, Mr. Dark. Do you think any of us will ever actually make it to the red planet itself? Barring the presence of Martians, I honestly don't think so. Did you hear about the nine people that NASA or some American space agency selected to use the Starliner or whatever the hell it is they're calling it now on an Atlas rocket? Yeah, we've been paying the Russians to fly us into space, look where that's getting us. lol But think that now we Americans and others will soon be able to fly a Starliner for the first time, but my concern is that families with disabled people or young children and teens will be left behind on Earth when the apocalypse happens, and that's something to speculate. Why live on the moon? That's what Heinlein's book depicts, a harsh climate with no air, no real good gravity to fall on, etc. And then there's the real challenge. Mars. While I do think that Martians existed as one-celled organisms, I don't think even able people should consider going because what will the disabled feel when we're suddenly in those Left Behind books? I wouldn't want to be the subject of those said books.
There's one plot that comes to mind. When the Earth is vastly overpopulated, all the rich people leave and go to a space station above the planet's atmosphere, and preserve their way of life. All Earthlings in this case are not healed of sicknesses, rather if they're disabled, they're left to their own devices and not allowed up. This is the premise of a recent sci fi flick, though I will warn you, the effects of overpopulated Earth are overstated in this one.
I've also done a review of this movie on my blog. Yes, I'm a blogger. I also wrote a more recent post on what the future astronauts and spacefaring tourists should not have to face.
See if you can elaborate on what I speculate here.
Beth

2018-08-09 14:30:00

@Beth interesting questions. Moon is a harsh mistress is also an interesting book because its written in a future dialect which misses out almost all all pronouns and definite articles, maybe this was why you were getting grammar errors.

i read an audio version, though as that was quite a long while ago its probably a book i need to reread, particularly as Cat who walks through walls serves almost as a sequel.

I doubt myself colonisation of mars or the moon will occur unless there are some major political and economic changes on earth, as with a hole lot of things, it is not due to lack of resources or even lack of technology, but lack of impitus to perfect the technology or use resources correctly, after all steam engines existed in ancient Rome, but why bother putting time and trouble into building a steam engine when you can just have however many hundred slaves on hand to do the work for you.

Same principle, why bother colonising other planets when the billionaires can make far more money renting off chunks of earth instead.

Capitalism after all works by creating scarcity, be that artificial or not, so why indulge in a project that could create a surplus or much less change things.

On the other hand, I don't personally see the scarcity appocalypse any time soon. People have predicted it back since the fifties from global warming to lack of food, and its increasingly not happened. Earths net population growth these days is actually even dropping, albeit not slowly enough to make an appreciable difference on the environment, and of course remember that rule about scarcity, when the scarcity becomes too great capitalism will just switch to some other source of scarcity, EG when the oil starts getting over priced, Shell and Texico will start pulling out all those electric car patents and alternative power plant construction ideas they've been sitting on since the eighties.

What I do see more of as a problem, is soemthing that is happening now, that is de-alienation and increasingly stratified social structure, or rather, as the gap between rich and poor grows larger and people increasingly have less and less power, the response is far more extreme clinging to a specific set of identities, be those racial, national, religious, gender, sexual orientation etc.

From groups of facebook trolls all brandishing the same axes they've been grinding, to street gangs, pride parades, demonisation of alternative groups going as far as religious persecution and terrorist bombings.

This is the sort of thing I unfortunately see increasing, since the less power people have, and the less meaning that their lives possess outside the prophet machine, the more attractive extremmism is.

So while I wouldn't see a scarcity appocalypse as likely, I do tend to think that unless the world power situation changes, we're likely to see generations of very disallusioned people and increases in violence as the rich wall themselves off more and more, indeed while I suspect over population isn't likely, I could definitely see the rich going to a space station to avoid having to associate with everyone else, and most of earth descending into mob rule.

of course, that is assuming there aren't any major social movements in the future and trends just continue, and it is high time we had a new wave of libertarianism as a counter to matters getting more and more repressive. I thought this was possibly going to happen this decade, what with the new sincerity movement etc, but instead things have just become more polarised, more repressive and a good bit shallower, still, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw something of a true counter culture soon enough, assuming its not killed off by arch conservatives, mega social justice warriors, or just increasing monopolisation and homoginisation of the capitalist system.

Btw, one interesting fact, I did read a paper in course of research for my doctorate which actually noted the simple fact that greater social, and educative freedom actually was a far better way of maximising resources and minimising population growth than rigid social control, that paper was given at a conference on sustainability in 2016 which directly explored population growth and resource allocation.

There are also more acaddemic movements now (including my own work on disability), which show the need for a greater amount of social responsability and a more equal sharing of power, of course whether anyone in ositions of power will actually listen to people who's job it is to consider these sorts of social trends, or will just go on grubbing after political prestige or increasing share prices a little more I don't know.

2018-08-11 21:00:20

Hi.
Well well well, work life's got me back and I am in second year of my training which takes three years in total.
Over all I am feeling quite good, even though the current heat wave is messing around with my boddy and I often feel tired, beaten up or just head aches from time to time. It has cooled down quite a lot so my situation is improving.
Also, here comes the more interesting part of the post and something which is keeping me and a friend on our legs.
my friend bought a horse somewhere in last may, it was a mare, it's important for the next part.
We noticed recently that her stomach is growing bigger and bigger, but because we didn't have her impregnated this or last year, we didnt think that the horse might be pregnant, we thought that it might be a worm infection, because the symptomes where there.
So the vet came along, took a sample of the horses dung ...  no worms, we did another checkup and suddenly our vet said ...  oh oh.
Apparently he had just found out that the mare was indeed pregnant, she must have been impregnated just before my friend bought her, but the breeing, as harsh as it sounds, must have been an accident because we cant find any breeding certificates or anything else.
So the horse which was already an accidental breed and who is just over 2 years old is expecting a foal in about 4 to 6 weeks and we dont know if she will make it through or if the foal even lives because we didnt noticed it sooner.
to put it into perspective, she must have been impregnated when she was around 18 months, normaly you dont start breeding till the horse is about 4 to 5 years old, so you can guess how that event came down in the end.

So yeah, just coming from my 3 weeks off and the madness continues.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-08-12 14:25:31

Wow Dark. That post of yours have given me a new perspective and new things to think about.

2018-08-14 08:34:58

@Gaurav, glad you liked the above thoughts, I admit my perspective has changed rather. Back in the late when i was a teenager, I was fairly positive about the future. I'd read all my classic and unusual sf, I felt sure we'd have unlimited energy and advanced technology soon and everything seemed to be getting brighter, yes, there was the possibility of hubris causing destruction, Jurasic park, terminator etc, but I was still of the opinion that technological change and inovation could spark social development, and that things like over population and third world exploitation were problems that would be solved relatively early.

the problem is, I now realise I'd got things the wrong way around, you need the change in society to fuel the technological advancement, and if anything things are changing for the worse.

I'd imagined nightmarish, Matrix style worlds where  humanity was enslaved to artificial intelligence and creativity and individuality were annihilated by making people into cyber men, what I didn't know is that we don't need cyber implants to transform everyone into efficiency obsesssed machines,  constant pursuit of prophet by big companies and the production line model will do that just as well, and that the only alternative to this would be retreating back into radically small scale tribalism.

To get less speculative (and less doom laden), cool news about the horse there Simba, my lady would be very jealous, she loves horses. I hope the foal is okay.

As for me we had some quite astounding news yesterday. the guide dog association have finally! found my lady a dog. She's been without one for the last two years after her last dog tragically died on boxing day 2016, and she's not been happy. Well we  got the phone call yesterday.

Apparently he's a golden lab. He was previously with a 17 year old girl which didn't work out. actually reading between the lines (and from comments by the trainer), said girl sounds like a bit of a flake, complaining that a guide dog was "cramping her social life" and telling people that she didn't need a dog anyway because her friends would guide her around (wonder if she'll change her tune in 5 years).

Either way, her loss is our gain, especially Mrs. Darks.

The trainer is turning up with dog this morning, which should be awesome! My lady has had three previous dogs so there isn't any question of it not working, and both Reever (my guide dog), and I will love having another dog around, actually since he is on a second chance he probably will need a lot of tlc.

The only slight downer is the name. Dealow! yes that's right, Dealow! pronounced dee low. I've not been able to find anything about what the name means or refers to, indeed the only hits on google were some sort of ganster rap and a construction firm big_smile.

Apparently its a sponsored namd, Ie someone made a donation to the Guide dogs association over here to have the dog called that, but unless there's a really good reason for the name we're going to see if at some point we might change it to Divo, that is the masculine Italian version of Diva, a word which means leading singer in an opera, though we'll have to see how he feels about this.

So, lots of tention this morning, probably not helped by the fact I have had a visitation from my insomnea and have been up all night playing Paladin of the sky big_smile.

Actually really nice to get back to this one. Yes, it has its flaws, but its still a surprisingly engrossing game, plus as my desktop went floof and killed my previous save file from 2015, I never actually got to complete it which was a bit of a bummer, hopefully I'll rectify that this time around.

I was a bit disappointed with Space company, since while I did do an ascention and restart, it turns out restarting just gives you the possibility! of earning restart bonuses next run through which is a pain given how many rl days I'd had to wait for some of those resources, and how expensive interstellar travel is.
I have a save file and the cookie, so if I want to continue at some point I can at least earn more next assention, still its a bit disappointing.

Other than that, and some of the most insane weather we've had in Britain, not a lot else to report. Hope everyone is doing okay though.

2018-08-15 00:02:23

Hi.
@dark, interesting that you mension humans turning into mindless slaves due to cybertronic implants.
Let me throw in a question. Isn't the possibility of riches and wellfare a more stable way to turn people into the mindless slaves you want them to be? Sure, they still have their own will and are able to think on their own, but if you keep them hooked by promising them wealth and money, you have, if you do it right, a puppet you can use for your own gain.
Which brings me, if we think about this on a bigger scale, to politics, our politicians and big tech companys.
Since some time I am seriously wondering who actually is rooling our world.
Even though I might sound like a conspiracy theorist, I am convinced that our politicians are puppets of associations, lobbys.
Think of lobbys like the NRA, big companys as Monsanto and the like, they have the active power to block decisions by the congress or any other political party, not only in the US. Sure, the NRA is limited to the united states, but every cuntry has it's fair share of big companys.
But, returning back to a cyberpunk scenario, the theory of robots turning against humanity sounds a bit to absourt to me.
Yes, technology is having a bigger and bigger impact on our lives and sometimes I am asking myself how much we want technological advancements dictate our lifestyle. Although I am seeing the advantages of a technological boom, you always need to look at both sides of the coin and decide on what is best for you.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-08-15 02:53:54

As much promise as it offers, the one advancing technology that scares me the most is artificial intelligence. It is becoming so pervasive that it is impossible to keep it out of the hands of those who would like nothing more than to cause mayhem and destruction and a scale large enough to make 9/11 seem patheticly small by comparison.

On a slightly brighter note, I picked up a second SSD, the exact same brand and model as the one I already have, and a retail edition of Windows 10 Home full, as in not an upgrade. This will allow me to install Windows 10 on my laptop without disturbing my Windows 7 installation. It should be interesting, especially trying out Edge. I know I've said that I would not upgrade to Windows 10 until forced, but finding more and more sites that don't work as well as they used to in Internet Explorer is causing me to rethink the Windows 10 question. I know that I could switch to Chrome or Opera, but I really do like the way Internet Explorer implements internet bookmarks or favorites, and I would guess that Microsoft has continued to follow that approach in Edge.

And just as Internet Explorer is getting old, Windows 7 is getting even older.

Plus now that JAWS is ready for Windows 10 and Edge, not to mention that a number of new features I'm interested in only work in Windows 10, I'm beginning to think that maybe it's time.

2018-08-15 13:09:10

@Simba, sorry that was actually my point,though I have added a sentence to my above post.
One of the most frighteningly real time concepts I've heard about is the idea of time production. This is when a company measure how long it takes to do a certain task and delineate their schedule according to those tasks. So for example  a friend of mine who worked briefly in McDonald's said that there was approximately 1.2 seconds to put a burger together three minutes on the grill etc, to the point that people actually had no choice of where to do what in the kitchen, even more frighteningly, employees on the counter were actually told "when customers interact with you they should feel like interacting with a machine"

its actually genuinely disturbing how computers, instead of removing mental drudgery are instead removing creativity from people because  easier for a company to design a production line model to generate prophet and then force their employees into it, than to use people's creative talents to best effect. Heck, 50 years ago being a shop keeper was a deeply skilled job, requiring a lot of mental arithmetic and management skills, indeed I find it interesting looking at what actually keeps people entertained vs, makes people board in terms of a game and engaging tasks and comparing this to how most companies actually structure jobs.

No wonder people are radically clinging to tribal identities.

As regards a huge conspiracy though, that's less likely, in a way I actually wish someone was! in charge,in some way, its just a lot of large companies who are trying  maximise prophet, and since prophet has no moral basis it doesn't matter if companies have to break the law, or go to countries where the laws are less strigent or buy a politician or to to reduce taxis, or funnel their assets through god knows how many off shore accounts so they can pay less tax.

I wouldn't say companies "run" governments, at least in most countries that do not have lobbies, but the problem is they have so much money that they can usually just dictate to governments anyway under threat of economic sanctions, or pulling their business out of the country, that when they aren't directly funding individual politicians ability to stay in power, or still worse, simply buying political offices anyway.

to get less theoretical again, Orko as I've said before I don't have as much issue with windows 10, and I switched from Ie to chrome myself last year when too many websites and other things didn't work with Ie. I'll admit when I tried edge it was pretty  crappy, full of  multiple tabs and random adverts and junk, though I think edge support in Nvda is  improving, I also don't know what the bookmarks management is like, but then again I've now switched to chrome full time anyway and can make the bookmarks system work for me.

I'll also say I've not personally had the problems with windows 10 that others mention, EG adverts etc, or at least what stuff I didn't want such as candy crush and Xbox gaming zone I just uninstalled with C cleaner, but this is no different to what i had to do when getting xp, removing freecell, msm, and microsoft gaming zone and such.

Good luck.

2018-08-15 15:32:48

Interesting about XP, all I had to do to get rid of the games in XP was to go into the control panel, then to Programs and Features, then Windows components, and uncheck all the games options. All gone!

I have heard though that for Windows 10, if you want something like the Microsoft store permanently gone, you have to use something like CCleaner to uninstall it, otherwise on the next Windows Update it will just be put right back.

What surprises me is the general lack of outcry over how much control over our computers Microsoft is exercising through Windows, but then again, after the way the DOJ lost against them over their creation of a monopoly by integrating Internet Explorer into Windows, maybe I shouldn't be.

Before I move ahead with this project, I've been trying to find information on Edge, both in general and in how it compares to other browsers, there are some articles but after I read them I find that I'm still looking for information, so it seems no one is willing to put that much into the browser and maybe that in itself is an answer.

Still, I like to look before leaping, so I have some idea of what I'm getting myself into, so I'll keep looking. Windows 7 is working fine and so is Internet Explorer for most sites, so I'm not in any hurry to decide.

2018-08-15 18:19:01

So, today is 15 august, otherwise known as the Independence Day for us Indians.

But I won’t boar you with those details. Instead, I will tell you what exactly happened to me today.

Now, if you have read one of my old posts on this topic, you guys would know that I completely despise going to formal events. This day is no different. Usually, I would spend my day sleeping, or completing whatever work I have, but just two days ago, the principal of my college, (director? I am confused.) Told me that I have to be present in the function today. And since this is my first year on the college, I decided to agree.

Imagine my surprise when he actually told me that I would get to put the flag with the guest of honor. The task is usually done by whatever person of importance has been invited in the function. So, no students are involved in such things. But not only was I involved, the principal told my father yesterday that he is going to push me in to the more events like these.

Now, it was a huge honor for me. After all, I get to do the task which is usually reserved for anyone who is visiting. So I was really happy. But on the top of that, my mother told me, (since I did go with her, can’t go alone now can I?) that I got a huge response from people, but I just couldn’t see it.

This is a large difference from my school life, when I was in the blind boarding school, (I spent my primary school in two of them to be exact.) no matter whether if the guest of honor always choose me for something or not, I was never pushed like that. And when I was enrolled in the normal school, I simply lost the interest. Maybe it is time to go brush up those social skills I have been ignoring?

But all that is good and fine. But the music! God the music. Why couldn’t any event in India take place without the loud music? By the time I was done with the event, I saw myself causing a massacre, which I called noise pollution massacre.

@dark:

I have seen you mention the machine called the profit machine several times on this site. And the sad thing is, the current way we are going I do not think anything will change.

What is more, I can’t seem to find any free time this week, so I could work on my fanfiction, or just enjoy myself. Also, for some reason, I really miss the Courage the Cowardly Dog. I don’t know why, but I do.

2018-08-15 18:39:50

As I remember on xp, I was able to uninstall some of the games, but a few other things I had to use C cleaner on, still my point is basically that Windows always comes with stuff you don't necessarily want and need to  get rid of, so windows 10 is no different to any other windows in that respect. The only major difference seems to be that Microsoft are now putting out more sub versions and updates to windows than in the xp days.

I've actually kept the microsoft store on the off chance that I might need it in the future since its not causing problems in and of itself, though I got rid of tips, sport and other things that I couldn't ever see myself using.

I just had a brief glance at Edge and This article about NVDA

While it seemed to display okay, and while it apparently uses favourites, god the tabs system is all kinds of stupid, !
I have disliked tabs in browser windows ever since Ie 8, and continue to, indeed I have a chrome addon which replaces anything that would open in a separate tab with a separate window, indeed between this and the fact that Chrome uses a download window in some ways it feels more like the older versions of Ie.

Edge however not only semed to have tabs all over the place for displaying actual web pages, but tabs for download, favourites etc, indeed the tabs system for getting to controls makes windows ribbons look logical! and that's not counting god knows how many buttons for subscribing to pod feeds, news topic categories  and  sticky notes and god knows what else.

Of course, I only tried the thing for five minutes out of mild curiosity, and it is possible the controls tabs are easier to deal with than it appears they are.

I would still recommend chrome myself, since even though the bookmarks manager is very stupid, you can do everything you need with bookmarks by just going to the top menu and using the applications key to get to "edit" so don't need the manager at all.

On the other hand, I  personally like windows 10 more than 7, the lists, the way you can use classic shell to have a sensible xp style start menu, the way copy and paste tasks work, and the handy downloads folder, not to mention little extras like narrator actually being sort of useful big_smile.

Well today has been a trifle stressful since my lady has just got a new guide dog, and having to spend hours with a lovely dog who just misses his trainer is not fun. Still, it'll work out and he's already making friends with both of us, it does mean something of a change though.

I will probably relax a bit with paladin of the sky this evening big_smile.