2018-08-01 07:30:00

Welcome to a new monthly chat topic, welcome one and all! so if your not one or all get lost!
Here's the bit of the forum where we discuss anything and  everything random that might be going on in life, from what books/games/films/murders your currently engaged on, to how school/university/work/plans to rule over the world are going.

For me things are going relatively okay, but feeling a little flat post the finishing of my phd, though part of that might be due to a very depressing experience trying out for a local radio station on Sunday, This was something my parents suggested, and even though neither Mrs. Dark nor I were %100 keen on the idea we went along to give it a try.
What we didn't realise is that it had all the depressing trappings of reality tv, which meant it was nothing like a professional audition, buzzers, judges who said yes or no, a sixty second time limit etc. Also predictably, two of the judges were very enthusiastic, two of them simply didn't like blind people since they gave a no with no reason. So the hole thing was a waste of time, and to be honest, I never imagined working for local radio anyway (for a start, the city of Nottingham where my parents live is a right royal shithole). It also didn't help that my brother and my parents were very  pushy and enthusisastic about this, even though its not what Mrs. Dark or I really do, ---- we're on stage singers not radio presenters.

So a bit depressing there, though at least its over.

Either way, other than that things continue. Of all things I just finished a book by Stevenie Mire, yes, the one who wrote twilight. This is her first none twilight novel, an attempt to write a scifi from the perspective of the alien body snatchers called "the host".

I probably wouldn't have bothered if Mrs. Dark hadn't recommended, but knowing my liking for very alien aliens she suggested, and it was surprisingly good, albeit I did have to wince every time Mire had to write something to do with romance. Indeed, it was sort of as if the book was written by two Stevenie mires, the one a compitant stylist and good character writer who actually comes up with an interesting concept for an alien invasion story and makes it work, the other a ridiculously trite romance writer who is obsessed with manly men and a "touch like fire"

It'll be an interesting one to review I think.

Gaming wise, I've been rather shattered recently, so mostly have just confined myself to playing space company, though I've found this a surprisingly fun game, probably the best incremental I've played so far.

In other news, I finally! succeeded at getting an Amazon order delivered to my house and got two fans, which is good since the weather is irritatingly hot. This hopefully means we can start getting more out of prime bennifits, though I do hope Amazon don't start defaulting to their usual standard and sticking cards through the door.
I have phoned their customer services and told them that I'm a blind person and can't read cards, and wouldn't likely to be able to pick up a package from a next door house anyway, much less see one if they left it in the street, they did agree to ring in advance, but whether this happens we'll see.

The fans were delivered by an Amazon reseller, though credit to him, he did find the house, ring the door bell and was quite successful big_smile.

Hope everyone else is having a good August thus far.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-01 13:57:36 (edited by Orko 2018-08-01 14:00:00)

Ah! There you are! I was beginning to wonder if I'd have the chance to beat you to starting this thread again, not that's it's a race or anything like that.

You are in for a real treat if Amazon introduces their own delivery service called Amazon Logistics into your area. I have shouted until I'm blue in the face and their drivers continue to just leave the packages at my door and don't bother to knock. They don't have to stay, just make an effort to alert me to come to the door. They simply refuse to do it.

Then it got worse, when I started using delivery notification to let me know when a package had been delivered. The drivers were indicating that the packages were delivered and handed directly to a resident. When they hadn't even been there yet, and never hand anything to me.

It was one of the many reasons why I canceled my Prime membership and no longer shop at Amazon.

2018-08-01 14:08:03

My month is going wonderful, but sometimes in the midnight power outages occur which sucks like there'll be nothing to suck tomorrow lol along with my studies I am reading some science fiction novellas... Specifically star Trek: the adventures of Captain Kirk. I love reading science fiction and well audio games I used to play redspot but now my exams are coming and considering that sometimes I used to spend hours on that game I had to abruptly-quite abruptly! Leave that game but I will be back tongue

2018-08-01 14:13:45

Dark you love to read science fiction as well, don't you? Then I suggest you go and read Shatnerverse novels... This series contain 9 novels and of such an amazing quality and emotions along with quite exotic alien beings... Well I can't say much now can I? Otherwise I'd rather just tell you the whole story... Considering the story is nine novels long how'll I do that beats me totally, so abandon the idea! Just check 'em out OK?

2018-08-01 14:25:49

Hi there. It's now August and still I haven't find something where I can earn money. I started searching job last March but here I am, still hunting. The unemployment is now really haunting me. Lol.

Anyway, since science fiction has been mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of science fiction. What I love is horror and thriller. How I wish there's a game that combines horror and adventure or horror and thriller or thriller and adventure or 3 in one package. big_smile

Before I don't care about tomorrows but all these times I'll not quit waiting for tomorrow if tomorrow will be for us. big_smile Just a random thing.

2018-08-01 17:11:20 (edited by Muslima 2018-08-01 17:16:21)

Hi, all, I hope you are all doing well.
Since I am new here I don't really know what to talk about but to know all of you better. So, you have 2choices to listen to my long lifestory or, to have a short version. And since I decided not to let you choose any of the choices, I am shortening that as much as possible.
     So first my name is Amna, and it can also be said Ameena. And my whole name is Ameena Fatima. As weird as it sounds, I decided it to be so because, well, uniqueness is cool. I am a student. Yeah, just like that a high school student. I had to repeat, you know because my country was mean, and I was not born when they have invented the education system. I was an exchange student in the United States. And so on the boring stuff continues but I am not going to give it out to you because you might die out of being bored, not from anything else.
     So, to continue on with my long intro, I am trying my hands at being a writer and I'm publishing my stories in an app called Wattpad. An app basicly for all them readers and writers who want to read and write. Not the most accessible, but you can deal with the problems. Get your brains movin' and deal with the problems of the inaccessible world around you.\That's a joke, of course.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that I have the most awful voice on this universe, and I call myself a singer. Yeah, a singer with an awful voice who can actually sing in many languages without speaking any of them. And because I am evil, I will not continue this post until any of you asks me something.
     That was supposed to be a short version of my life story, but no. It is a bit... Long.
Hope you do not open a cupboard, take out a gun and point it at my head for wasting your time.
Nice to meet you and have a nice time.
I hope MR. Dark darkens our day with some new games, or, I'd rather say the developers say something new because we need stuff, ya know, to play.

Beware! If you know me it will be mischief around. I want my peace, your peace and our happiness.
YES(Youth Exchange&study) alumni 2016-2017
Follow. ME.

2018-08-01 17:41:39

Dark, that book you read reminded me of this book which you might like, I did.

Needle
Clement, Hal
The Hunter, a protoplasmic alien creature from the stars, crashes on Earth while pursuing an escaped criminal of his species. In order to survive and continue the search, he must inhabit the body of a human host, which he finds in fifteen-year-old Bob Kinnaird. Alien symbionte and human host form a lasting friendship and together track down the criminal.

2018-08-01 18:12:39

That book sounds pretty cool in fact it sounds like overcoming the differences and becoming friends in order to fight the criminal. big_smile

Beware! If you know me it will be mischief around. I want my peace, your peace and our happiness.
Follow. ME.

2018-08-01 19:41:08

The beginning was very interesting because right after the crash the alien is for the most part helpless and know zero about the world it's ended up on.

I will stop there so as not to spoil it should you decide to read it.

2018-08-01 19:44:33

hi
well, summer with english class is very good
who have country music? (american music)
i haven't more information about it

2018-08-01 19:47:03

well sorry for 2 poests but
ameena fatima, can you sing? i want to know howwwwwww?
i'm trying to get vps, and after 1 month, tlw will be releess i think
for vps, sad

2018-08-01 21:03:38

mahdi-abedi wrote:

well sorry for 2 poests but
ameena fatima, can you sing? i want to know howwwwwww?
i'm trying to get vps, and after 1 month, tlw will be releess i think
for vps, sad

Yes, I can sing. I sing in Arabic, I also sing Bollywood music, and that's it in general.

Follow. ME.

2018-08-02 05:03:54

Wow!!! You can sing bolliwood music too? I love it, which language? If Hindi or Punjabi then I would love to listen to you!! big_smile big_smile

2018-08-02 05:15:07 (edited by sunshine 2018-08-02 05:15:37)

Dark, here are some books I am mentioning to shake your perception of reality to it's core:
1. star trek generations by Gene Roddenberry
2. star trek: Odyssey trilogy- Ashes of eden,  avenger, and the return, by William Shatner.
3. Star Trek: Mirror universe trilogy- Specter, dark victory, and preserver, , by William Shatner.
4. Star trek: the Totality Trilogy- Captain's Peril, Captain's Blood, and Captain's Glory
I hope you love reading them. Being a science fiction fan, I don't know ho'wll you resist them anyway tongue and yeah please go through them as I've told above so that the element of surprise is maintained. Happy Reading! big_smile

2018-08-02 11:26:16

Hmmm, lots of interesting stuff here.

@Zaraku, there are a few horror related games of various sorts depending upon what your looking for, going from first person shooters like Swamp and shades of doom, the action/side scroller The gate, to to more weird horror like slender lost vision, heck there are even some arcade games with horror elements like  haunted house in esp pinball, and of course lots of gamebooks and interactive fiction, for example the games on the fighting fantasy project or several of the choiceofgames or hosted games titles such as shadow house.

I might be forgetting a couple big_smile.

@Orko, yesterday amazon managed to turn up with an order correctly, a new 3.5 to 3.5 jack since my old one vanished off to goodness knows where and I like a long leed to attach my Sanheisa heardphones to my pc so that I can be lazy and lounge on the sofa big_smile.

OOn the plus side, the driver did turn up and ring the bell. On the down side they didn't ring me first, though as I made this order before I left the instructions to ring me we'll see what happens, particularly since the next thing we need to order from amazon is a large quilt which I doubt will go through the letterbox.

I have not read anything by Hal Clement, though that does sound an interesting one Orko.

@Ameena interesting. I write myself and have been attending local poetry readings where I've been having some of my poetry read, I also do book reviews over on www.fantasybookreview.co.uk, I'll likely be putting one together for the host, the book I mentioned with the alien parasite.

Having just finished my phd I'll likely be working on something more substantial writing wise soon enough.

As regards Shatner novels, I'm not sure. I enjoy Startrek but am not a huge startrek fan. I loved Next gen and DS9, Voyager disappointed me, and I've never been able to take original 1960's trek seriously (captain Kirk included), though I was rather amused at James Bliche's novelizations of the series since he managed to capture the tone and rather overdone silliness quite well complete with all amusing startrek tropes, such as having two security people die on a mission and kirk respond with "hmmm we have to be careful", then have Spok injured only for Kirk to go into "noooo! not spok! no! a main character is injured! oh woe is me!" big_smile.

As far as I understand it a large part of the Shatnerverse novels was basically an excuse for William Shatner to Retcon Captain Kirk's death in Startrek Generations. I'l admit  they haven't been high on my list.

then again I'll freely admit I don't tend to read novels based on tv series much, even Doctor who which I'm a huge fan of, mostly because even when the writing style actually works, the plots often go off the rails with no producer or no person to rain things in.
For example, I recall someone mentioning a starwars novel to me which featured Palpatine's other apprentice, who was a reptile, and prince of a planet, and eviler than darth vader, and used two light sabers and had cybernetic implants and was the most baddist bad guy who ever badded big_smile.

So generally I tend to go for original fiction in reading, and leave actual Tv series to tv and/or audio dramas.

Then again, I won't say there aren't! good original novels based on tv series out there, I did once read some trek books by Peter David, and Q squared and Vendetta were both very cool, likewise the novelization of the film Willow was pretty damn awesome and had major amounts of extra background.
So all this is to say if you could give me a better idea about the Shatner stuff I might consider having a go at them, since there is no denying I do love alien aliens, heck I just this morning featured the new first doctor story from Big finish that featured a trip to a planet full of amorphus immortal anthropoid jelly creatures who chucked sharp spears at each other for a game, and the rather tragic thing that happens when they accidentally learn about the concept of death.

Again, very alien, and wonderfully weird!
There was also a pretty cool historical story set in 19th century Japan, actually (if people won't mind a miner tangent), I love the fact that Big finish have bought back the pure historical as a doctor who story. They used to do them back in the 1960's, but they largely fell off, and most stories, even if set in history tended to have something alien in there.

Yet, there are times where the culture, the attitudes and such are just so wonderfully different from the way we do things today, that throwing the Doctor and assistants into the mix feels just as dangerous as if they were on some distant planet, and hay, if you have a time machine, why should! all your stories be science fiction big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-02 13:39:29

I tend to agree with Dark in relation to Star Trek novels,very few are as good as the TV series or movies are. AS far as the TV series go, TNG was my favorite with DS9 close behind it, then the original series, Voyager and Enterprise I just couldn't get into, those series were more like your daytime soaps than a prime time science fiction. And I have no opinion on Discovery, I have it from the movie vault but haven't listened to it yet.

2018-08-02 14:19:46

I think you should give 'em a try... 'Cause it's not the scifi stuff which attracts me again and again towards them, but it's the making-a-difference in a universe gone crazy. And oh the Shatnerverse novels do contain elements of love and heroism, as well. So I'd just request you to give those novels a try, from trek generations to the end of totality series. I'm sure you'll come to love them. Also regarding the Q and Q Continuum, I have two-three novels which calls me again and again. For one there is Q Continuum trilogy, by Greg Cox, and I, Q, by John de Lancie
and  Peter David. I am not sure about TV shows though because I never watch TV episodes, just love to read novels where I truly feel immersed in that world. Regarding StarWars, I didn't read many novels ... I read Prequel trilogy, then Sequel trilogy... Then left that. Maybe I'll read them one day because bookshare got tons of them. And also those above three trilogies you can find them on bookshare.

2018-08-02 15:53:00

"Gaurav, I personally don't use bookshare (I'm also not sure how available it is in Britain), since I tend to prefer audiobooks when I can get them, though I admit as a Q fan and because Peter David's novels are some of the few startrek fiction I've tried that I did like that I Q stuff sounds interesting.

"Orko,  I've generally found that novels based on tv programs or other universes just never seem to live up to the original, or frequently to work well as books. Often they're under written or under described, or they tend to try and over do the original source material in some way shape or form, by having either the biggest threat ever! or the most awesome new character ever! or plots that get so off the rails that they go completely nuts (many of the Dr.  who novels fall into this last category).

There are exceptions. The big finish audio dramas I listen to have  generally done a pretty good job with Dr. Who, (Indeed better  the tv series of late)), though as the main producer for Bf is the guy who voices the Daleks this is not too surprising. Of course they have their clunkers, but the over all quality tends to be pretty good.

I also enjoyed the Red dwarf books, though those are more a retelling of the series rather like Hitchiker's guide books as compared to the radio play, I also enjoyed the novelizations of both the film Willow and the V tv series which actually did expand the plot rather more (particularly with Willow). 

Then of course, there is so much original material out there, not to mention new and good stuff coming out, often with books I like the idea of exploring something new.

2018-08-02 18:46:28

I am also a Q fan... I read I, Q once where Q tells his story in his own words, and well the novel was full of comedian stuff... How he meddles in the affairs of so-called "lowly" beings... His exploits are nothing less than legendary themselves tongue
I'd better quote the part of a chapter from I, Q here. Just a little glympse, nothing more than that... So here goes:
I, Q...My instinct is to start with me.

It's a natural instinct, I suppose, since I was there at the beginning. I have been around for as long as I can remember, as long as anyone can remember. And until this day--presuming one could call this a day--I had always assumed I would be here forever. Forever, after all, is a very, very long time. One doesn't tend to dwell on the end, because such an event is naturally unthinkable to one such as me.

And if the end ever did come, if we ever did stand on the brink, on the precipice, on the edge (in short) of oblivion, I had always assumed that I and my equally powerful fellows would be able to mount a defense against it. Each of my fellows, even as a lone individual, can do anything. So when you have an entire Continuum of infinitely powerful fellows, it would seem only logical to assume (there's that word again) that there is nothing in the entirety of reality that could possibly stand against our collective will--except a two-year-old who's teething, but that is a nightmare all its own.

Humans, those ever-annoying creatures, have a saying. Actually, they have many sayings. As a race, they're chockablock with homilies and aphorisms that cover just about every circumstance that mortal minds can conceive (which, granted, is not saying much). One of those jolly sayings happens to be, "Never 'assume' because it makes an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me.'" It's a fairly tortured dissection of a word simply to make a point, but nonetheless the point is well taken. I assumed, and therefore found myself in deep ...

Ah, shame on him! I'm sure you're saying to yourself. He shouldn't be starting with himself. How rude, how vainglorious. He should be starting with Jean-Luc Picard and his pocket calculator, Mr. Data. And so I shall.

You see, they were fishing one day when the End of Everything (that's with a big "E") caught their attention. Of course, they had no idea what was really happening because ...

Oh, to hell with it! They're boring. I'm sorry, but it's true. They have their uses, certainly, and I suppose I have to admit that in our quest to stave off the End (with a big "E") they've been very useful; but the fact is, I'm much more engaging then they are, and if this narrative is going to be even remotely entertaining, I'm going to have to provide that entertainment by talking about myself first.

Me...Myself and I. Three of the best pronouns in the language.

It has come to my attention that there have been numerous studies and tomes published about me. Several of them have been circulating on earth, because humans seem to have a fascination with me bordering on the morbidly obsessive.

And I admit I find them rather intriguing, to the point where I lapse into their perspectives and perceptions, using their idioms and metaphors (such as the comment about the two-year-old earlier). One would have hoped I'd have elevated them. Instead, they have dragged me down. Pitiful. There have been publications on other worlds as well, worlds I've visited and where my endeavors and achievements have also been invariably misunderstood. Of course, I sympathize completely. It is as difficult to comprehend a being like me as it is for a paleontologist to understand a dinosaur by looking at a fossilized footprint.

For example, I remember the residents of Kangus IV, an extremely gloomy race who seemed to have an endless fascination with the prospect of their eventual demise. One of their favorite pastimes was to insert their collective consciousness into a great machine that simulated the destruction of their planet. This machine allowed them to safely experience massive quakes, typhoons, starvation, wars, you name it. The machine was so realistic that while they were in the machine, great, gaping fissures would open beneath their feet, giving them a sense of being swallowed whole. What fun! They would then disconnect from the great machine and stumble out into the daylight, only to be drawn back to the extinction simulation over and over again. And for this experience they paid good money, diminishing their incomes as well as placing themselves in a perpetual state of anxiety.

I stumbled upon their rather macabre pastime and took it upon myself to grant their ultimate wish by destroying their world. I thought they would enjoy it! It took no effort at all but, to my surprise, during the actual event there was so much shrieking and crying and gnashing of teeth that I felt compelled to put their world back together again. Apparently, the real-life experience so completely terrified them that they never again had any dealings with the great machine. Which was good, except it caused the financial ruin of the planet and forced the population to actually talk to one another.

Now, I suppose that small digression seems neither here nor there. But then again, at this particular moment in time, neither am I.

In any event ...

Fascination with me is understandable. I am a fascinating individual, particularly to the sort of lower life-forms to which Jean-Luc Picard belongs. There have been committees formed specifically to figure out why I do what I do. Come to think of it, on the world of Angus IV, I am considered a force of unrelenting evil, while on Terwil IX, I am called the Laughing God. That's not a nickname I readily understand. I can only assume that they believe I'm off somewhere, doubling over in laughter whenever anything in their little lives goes wrong. I haven't even been around the planet in two thousand of their years, and yet they still fancy that I take an active interest in them. That I'm somehow "watching" and "listening" to their every move and utterance. I don't dare tell them the truth lest they paint themselves blue and jump off the nearest cliff.
I think that's more than enough big_smile

2018-08-02 19:15:48

The best thing to ever happen to Q was when the continuum stripped him of his powers, too bad it didn't last.

2018-08-02 19:52:06

Gaurav
I can sing in Hindi. I have tried Punjabi but I find it too difficult and I also don't have the time to learn a song or 2 really.
and the darkening dark
I'm so glad you like writing too! I really like when you post news because they always keep us entertained. big_smile

Follow. ME.

2018-08-03 06:04:06

That's amazing to know big_smile. Would you mind if I say that I want to listen to you? smile

2018-08-03 11:44:03

@Gaurav the Q stuff does actually sound fun, I'll have to look around and see if there's an audio available, they may well give me a laugh.
I loved the byplay between Q and Picard in Tng powers or not, though it was a shame that the episodic structure meant that Q never really got much by way of character development that wasn't returned to status quo by the end of the episode.

his one appearance in Ds9 was amusing. I particularly liked when Sisco did what everyone had been wanting to do and gave him a sound punch up the hooter and he complained "picard never hit me" only for Sisco to rather grimly say "I'm not Picard!" big_smile.

Sad he never appeared again, and the less said about his voyager appearences the better, then again the less said about Voyager in general the better, so much potential, so much disappointment.

Btw, I've never seen Enterprise or the new series discovery. I was encouraged by the fact Discovery apparently ignores all that alternative universe retcon nonsense in the hollywood films and gets back to the right trek universe, though equally since its once again set prior to original series I'm not sure, as I'd personally be far more interested in something that carried on the story post Ds9 and voyager, maybe with a few torch passing appearences by the old cast.

Oh, and I know there are lots of novels that do that, not to mention the Startrek online game, but I'd prefer to see it done on screen with an actual producer to keep a reign on things, just to make sure that the alpha quadrent isn't suddenly invaded by a new time travelling race of cyber space witches who previously absorbed dna from both the Borg and the Romulans and the Jem haddar and follow a super computer controled by the disembodied brain of Cahn Noonien sing which is now searching the Alpha quadrent for Deanna troi who it wants to make its queenn, or something equally off the rails and completely nuts as tends to happen in these situations big_smile.

Well today should be nice, mrs. Dark and I, since we've been having a mildly irritating few days are going to trot out to our favourite Italian cafe for lunch. Its ironically run by a Spaniard, but he's an awesome chef, also he's got to know us by now which is always good.

Other than that I've been doing the usual, banging out book reviews, reading and playing games. I'm currently doing a Ray Bradberry short story collection.
Some of the stories are a little dated (I was slightly disturbed in the last one I read how casually a supposedly loving husband repeatedly slapped his wife), but yee gods I love Bradberry's writingg, though I do tend to prefer his short  to his novels.

Actually if people are looking for really weird, and beautifully written speculative fiction that can go from absolute horror to amazingly uplifting, Bradberry is what I recommend, there are few authors I know who can show both the very best, and the very worst of humanity, even in one story, the odd dated assumption aside.

2018-08-03 11:49:30 (edited by sunshine 2018-08-03 11:54:25)

You like thriller with elements of horror and fantacy? Then try ARE.A. Salvatore's demon wars, volume 1 and volume2. They actually are good enough in my estimation.
Check this out, gentlebeings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYqpisZamC0

2018-08-03 14:28:29

@Gaurav, hmmm, I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say "thriller" here, since usually I'd always assume a "thriller" was a book set in the modern day with some suspense elements featuring crime or government conspiracies or the like, where as I thought Salvatore wrote epic fantasy set in other worlds.

The only book of Salvatore's I've read was his novelization of Starwars attack of the clones. It was okay,but not particularly good, as opposed to Matthew Stova's  novelization of Revenge of the Sith which is pure awesome from end to end and indeed imho far better than the film it was made from.

I do mean to try Salvatore's fantasy stuff at some point, though for traditional fantasy I've got a lot of other things to get through first.
With me, I pretty much read all ends of speculative fiction, from scifi, to horror, to epic high fantasy, steampunk, urban fantasy etc.

Stuff I like is more about how! it is done than what it is in speculative fiction terms, EG I enjoy books which surprise me with alien aliens or interesting worlds over ones that just have predictable Tolkien knockoff elves, dwarves orcs etc, and I much prefer books with three dimensional human characters who struggle to achieve their goals rather than super heroes  who automatically succeed at everything.