2008-09-19 23:00:31 (edited by andy smith 2008-09-20 15:06:47)

I just installed the JAWS10.0 beta on my Vista machine. It works great and auto forms mode is fantastic. It only crashed once but I think it was a screen reader flood as I had several VIPMud muds open.

So, what are your thoughts on this beta?

2008-09-19 23:27:40

Hmmm. Haven't downloaded it yet. Not really the first to something when on dialup. If I was still borrowing that internet connection, that I was using this pass summer,I might download it. Like to hear thoughts of others myself.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-20 15:10:26 (edited by andy smith 2008-09-20 15:13:06)

Well, there seems to be 14 DAISY training books, but I don't really need those things.

The UAC in Vista now actually works (in previous versions it would not read the UAC prompts), and it now reads WLM messages again when they come in, it wasn't doing that in JAWS9 either, at least on this machine it wasn't.

Lets see. Oh, as I said above autoforms mode is great, but it took me awhile of how to get out of these multiline edit boxes, i just had to press escape (using autoforms), but I didn't realize that it would actually work! There's new verbosity settings for headings, you can have it disable headings altogether, so for example, instead of:
heading level 1 Go here

It would just say:

Go here

Or, you can have it announce just the heading, as shown here:
heading Go here

Or, you can retain it the way it did before. I have not tried the supposedly more responsive RealSpeakSolo voices, I don't really need them and it just takes up space etc etc.

2008-09-20 16:33:19

From what I saw on the website, I really don't have a need for upgrading at this time. So, think I'll check it out when the CD is sent out.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-20 17:42:36

Yeah there isn't a huge improvement, though it is nice to have that heading announcement, very neat.

2008-09-20 18:15:01

I was thinking that anyway. isn't werth one of my days downloading from dialup if I can get it on CD when it is release, but I will try to keep on top of all the changes that they are making, wich doesn't seem like much at this time. So all comment from those who are using it would be nice. The auto forms mode sounds nice.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-21 00:33:02

My thoughts are this: JAWS is getting worse by the version. I recently updated from 8 to 9, and I find that 9 crashes much more frequently, does strange things, for example, whenever you run GoldWave you have to restart jaws at it refuses to read the screen once GoldWave is run, and instead reads the goldwave control screen as if it's still open. So, if NVDA gets better, or Window Eyes, maybe I'll switch someday. I'm just not in any hurry to upgrade to a version with new features that should amount to a minor update, like JAWS 9.1.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-09-21 00:47:45

I know.....

DropBox Referral

2008-09-21 02:14:59

I agree with you there, JAWS10 eloquence is... Not what it used to be, it cuts words off and stuff, and sometimes just blotches out altogether. JAWS8 was a complete bomb, 9 was so bad that I just went back to 8 after trying out the demo, and beta10 is not that bad although it does crash sometimes.

Jaws also jas done this for awhile and I cannot fix it: when using the JAWS cursor, for example and your in GoldWave, or any program, this is what it says:

JAWS Cursor
Desktop start button task bar GoldWave Microsoft Word VIP Mud Windows Live Messenger Internet Expl

Litterally it cuts it off, and has been doing that for awhile. Rooting the cursors doesn't help either.

2008-09-22 09:14:44

My thoughts? Jaws sucks. Freedomscientific is only putting some crappy unuseless features in the newer versions of Jaws. I don't understand why they doesn't remove the form modes on websites. I want to type in edit feelds without entering a lot of modes like Voiceover for Mac and System Access.
Freedomscientific are not fixing older bugs which crash the whole machine. I don't like their licens system either. If you got a new harddisc, graphic card, or if you just move some of the cables in your computer, you'll lose your licens. How bad is that? It sucks. Siriously , it does. And why do you have to pay for updates when you already have bought a very expensive screenreader? I do understand why people crack that screenreader!!!
I have chosen another operating system.
Go Apple! Apple rocks the world!!! They are taking care of accessibility. especially blind and visually impaired people.
That's my thoughts!!!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-09-22 12:55:34

Yeh apple does have voice over, wich for the most part don't compare to jaws. One thing I think apple needs to add to voice over is scripting. then they would have some more power. I can think of some other things that need to be improved appond too, but I want menchon them here. All and all, VO is good for what it does. I wonder how long blind peoples will stay with windows? I have to agree with you with the useless features in jaws. bet you I really haven't used most of the features that they included in 9 or 8. It's when compunys start putting in the autharuzation thingy like in JFW, they start to incurradge people to pack. There is window-eyes if you really don't like JFW, but you still have to pay for the updates.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-22 22:32:02

If I am wrong let me know, but is it right that if you reformat your hard disk your locking code changes, which results in you needing to waste an activation. Yeah, some might say you can rest it. However I reset mine over a week ago because I need it for some computers at school. And they have not reset it. I am thinking of maybe trying out Hal or WindowEyes, since Hal isn't that popular, Jaws and WindowEyes are the big two. I personally think jaws 10 should be jaws 9.1, and jaws 9 should be 8.1, because there's like no new useful features in these packages.

2008-09-23 08:50:42

Sorry Andy. That's not what I ment. I mean if you put your harddisc on another cable, or if you move the harddisc to another connector on the same cable in a desctop machine, you'll lose your registration. This is going to happen if you don't do anything to the data on the harddisc. The weird thing is that if you move the harddisc back to the same persision on the cable again, your registration is back to normal again.
If you want a stable system, I'll highly recommend you to check out the Mac.
You can find some very great podcasts on
www.blindcooltech.com
made by an awesome guy called Mike Arrigo. He is really good to explain how things works.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2008-09-23 11:05:26

I'm not quite convinced by the mac, not just for accessibility reasons.

I'll put it this way... Microsoft have dubious business tactics with Windows, whereas Apple still aren't great but somehow thanks to the wonders of PR always come up smelling of roses. Apple also lock you into their own hardware a lot more, which I just don't trust.

Myself if I ever made a move it would be to NVDA, or way in the future potentially Linux.

As to cracking, no no no. Whatever FS has or has not done cracking is not the solution.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-23 12:47:56

I'm planning on playing with lenix as soon as I can get my hand on a copy, wich I don't know when that will happon. As for NVDA, I played with it some, and it's alright. As for VO, it may be bilt in the OS, but it's clunky in away. Don't think I will really pay that much for a computer though. I don't care if it looks good or not.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-23 13:59:23

I don't trust a company which sells a system with a screen reader built in, who also actually prevented previous existing screen readers on the platform from working. They removed all potential for competition in one fell swoop, and did so a substantial period before they released their own screen reader.

I know Orca is built into Gnome in Linux, but it's a community project and it isn't commercial.

Oh CW, remember Linux is free you just need to be able to download the several hundred megabytes of ISO file. And please check your spelling of Linux, it's L I N U X, the way you spell it makes it sound awful.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-23 17:28:14

LOL. OOPS. The thing is, I'm weighting Until I can borrow a highspeed connection before I get the 700 mb of linux. You pretty much stated the reason why I don't like VO. NO one to compete with means that they can make improvements when they want to. CX, did you hear of all the crapt that they are trying to pull on the IPhone? Makes me question who they really thinking about. Themselves must likely. Don't think I really would want a screen-reader in the hands of a company like that, and I don't have the money for Windoweyes. Don't know rather or not I would swich anyway. don't have a good reason to swich or upgrade yet. Just give me a real good reason and watch what happons.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-23 18:44:56

Well for all Apple's bragging the IPhone doesn't do anything Windows Mobile smartphones haven't been able to do for a few years before the iPhone ever existed. I even hear there was a security vulnerability in it that really shouldn't have been there, something about if you use a button for an emergency call on the password screen you can circumvent the password and access the rest of the phone.

cx2
-----

2008-09-23 21:20:41

I read about that on the web. You are right about the WM thing too. My PM can pretty much do what the IPhone can do. the things that are lacking are the things that require vision, a phone, and or motion detection. Who really needs those to enjoy a PDA in the first place. Ok, maybe you need vision to have more fun, but other then that... I know that there are smart phones out there running WM6 stander, but over hiped is what the IPhone is. LOL. Maybe JFW is starting to get over hiped too. JK, maybe...

DropBox Referral

2008-09-23 21:53:14

Well I do hear Pocket Hal or Mobile Speak Pocket can run on Windows Mobile devices which have a built in phone, not to be confused with devices running "windows mobile smartphone edition" which seems to be a substantially cut down version in order to compete with things like Symbion. We're talking about normal Windows Mobile PDAs with an integrated cellular connection, for either calls SMS or internet access. I knew someone who had one while I was at college back in about 2003/4.

Oh and what do you expect from Apple? Lately they've gone into marketing mostly on style over functionality. They are a brand, and seemingly an increasingly fashionable brand sadly. I mean for example aside from the accessibility issues, for sighted people what does the iPod give them that a normal

cx2
-----

2008-09-24 00:11:47

Wm6.0 pro is for the touch screen phones and I'm wondering how mobile speak and pocket hal makes them accessible. I know the PM is running wm6 classic and that seems to work OK. Just don't know how I would use a touch screen if I had one. I know some who has a mac book and they talk like it works alright for them, but to me a computer is a computer and a screen reader is a screenreader, but for me I will buy the best for me.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-24 00:27:44

I hear mobile speak pocket lets you use the touch screen as an on screen keyboard, you put the stylus to the screen and move it around to choose letters which it reads to you as you move it around the screen and lift the stylus up to select. Not sure about Pocket Hal. You only really need this for input anyway, if you're just using it for appointments or somehting like that you don't need to do that much input. I wouldn't want to have to work on a document like that though, which is what I suppose bluetooth keyboards are for.

I would seriously suggest anyone looking at notetakers also consider what they need from it, and see if the new "netbook" style computers might work better for them.

cx2
-----

2008-09-24 02:03:39

I always wanted to play with a netbook. Hmmmm. to bad I don't have extra money to throw away.... That onscreen keyboard thing doesn't sound useful at all. who all used pocket hal or moble speak? Sorry about hijacking the topic.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-24 03:07:27

Well it is better than nothing, and it should work reasonably for small scale input. Remember most windows mobile PDAs are very small, that's their main advantage. And of course as I said you can always use a bluetooth keyboard.

cx2
-----

2008-09-24 08:49:22

I'm using Mobile  Speak Smartphone on my HTC S 710.

Best regards SLJ.