2018-07-27 13:50:40 (edited by braille0109 2018-07-27 14:43:45)

editing to include additional details.
hi guys. quite excited about sharing this one, I've been battling with this, for the last 14 or so months, not giving up, moaning and complaining, annoying the shit of everyone. which isn't an issue, I have a low reputation as it is, so it honestly didn't really matter. this was also almost 80% as to why I refused to use win10 as my primary device.
let's start with a little background story.
in 2017 June , I bought myself a dell latitude, in case my school wanted my old laptop back. sadly, on windows 10,  my NVIDIA graphics 4200m refused to go on second screen. the second screen option would do nothing at all, and it would not save, or go dark. so that left me with a laptop, that I could not use the evenings at all, due to 100% light perception. and no, reducing brightness, or JAWS screen shade, will not work. those of us with true light vision, will see the light regardless. after posting on here, someone told me to use a Bluetooth keyboard, and close down the laptop lid, which, while it was a neat suggestion, I wasn't willing to settle with it. so after spending about 4 hours on the phone with the Microsoft disability answer desk, they told me that my laptop is not supported on win10, and that I'm missing the entire NVIDIA control panel. I was willing to sell the laptop at this point, when suddenly, I got an NVIDIA graphics driver update. what do I know, second screen works, and I now have an NVIDIA control panel. I can only assume the person who happened to help me understood my issue, and told NVIDIA to allow second screen or something. so that worked beautifully, until I decided to want to replace this dell for, well, quite a number of reasons.
at this point, the game started all over again, from the beginning.  Intel, AMD, nothing at all, would allow second screen. trust me, I literally tried almost all laptops in the shop, 1 by 1, doesn't matter what brand, CPU,GPU, it would just not do it.

so while I have a Lenovo ideaPad, I can literally not use it the evenings. I was willing to duck Tape the thing around, with cardboard, but again, that won't fix college computers the upcoming next year.
in the meantime, I have discovered through sources, that second screen is mainly affected with intel I series 4th gen and above. so if you like, Intel Graphics 4000 still allows second screen, but anything above that will not. I can unfortunately not speak to AMD, as I've not had many AMD devices, nor does anyone who I know of. I can also safely guess that anything above, including NVIDIA graphics 4200m, under win10, will not allow second screen. as far as I'm aware, windows 7 is definitely not, and I don't think 8.1 is affected, either.

I've even, (feel free to laugh) tried connecting my iPhone through Bluetooth, even tried, again, feel free to laugh, using VNC viewer to kill the god damn thing. sadly, I could never find the phone with the laptop, and VNC seemed to be paid on windows, at least the server, which I needed to set up the laptop side of things. the idea was to display the laptop to the phone, then second screen it that way.
so anyways. a few weeks back, I heard the win10 mailing list, over at groups.io, talking about headless dummy ghost adapters, how they allow you to kill the screen. since I had nothing to lose at this point, I went on eBay, and I bought one for £3. I got the adapter today, and it in fact... works!
here's how it works. imagine a tiny version of a USB stick, but with an HDMI port. you then plug that in, and you will hear some device connected chimes. at this point, you will lose audio, but I managed to recover that with NVDA remote, since unplugging the dummy adapter restores audio. then I set my speakers as default device, while the dummy Adapter was plugged in, and audio got restored. at this point, I opened the projection options, clicked on second screen, and  there, the thing is completely, and absolutely, dark. for just £3, (you may have to do some conversion) you get second screen back, if you care for it. I know for a fact that iron cross has also been wanting this for a while, so I wanted to share for those that aren't aware of it either, since I've only seen this being mentioned a few weeks back. it's exact name is headless dummy adapter. they're also known as ghost adapters. it would be interesting to hear feedback from others, whether it works reliably, but from my experimentation, it certainly does.
and if you get any other laptop, just toss the plug into them. much easier than contacting driver manufacturers, or rapping duck tape around the thing, for that matter.
essentially, this little adapter pretends to be a screen, so you achieve the same affect, as if you plugged in an LCD screen, or a TV, through the regular HDMI  cable, which is also why I lost audio at first, since it redirected audio to the none-existing screen. . and for that same reason, it allows you to disable the screen, since it thinks it's a secondary monitor. I'm rather pleased with this, wish someone informed me earlier.

2018-07-27 14:07:33 (edited by Chris 2018-07-27 14:08:10)

Does this actually save battery life? I'd assume not as you're simply tricking the computer into sending video to what it perceives as an external display. I have one of these Fitheadless adapters for my Mac Mini. I'll have to give it a shot in Windows 10 assuming it actually saves energy. I'm totally blind so can't see light anyway.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-07-27 14:24:24

too early to speak about battery, but judging my dell and my samsung, it actually does, since, if nothing else, it kills off the light.

2018-07-27 18:04:48

well, there was a program called monitor power way back in the day that would allow you to run it and I guess it was an auto hotkey based thing from what I would gather. I would just shut the screen completely off. Now, as for me I have not had that issue at all because the screen here can be dimmed or shut totally off (yes, lenovo surprisingly has a key dedicated to that which turns the screen on or off)

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-07-27 18:28:08

what's your graphics card? my 2017 ideaPad does nothing at all for second screen, but I'd be interested in that key command, never the less.

2018-07-27 18:44:21 (edited by grryfindore 2018-07-27 18:45:49)

Hi,
Its not a graphics card thing, its a lenovo thing.
all the lenovos I have had have allowed me to turn off the screen with a press of a button usually some f key.
Wish there was a way to do the same on my macbook pro, turn off the screen on the windows side of things.
Your solution could work but I am uncertain where I would get those from,and plus love you apple? I may probably need a thunderbolt to hdmi adaptor? unless  I am mistaken and this mbp early 2015 comes with one... in which case I really love you, apple. lol
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-07-27 18:45:52

I knew about the ghost adapters, unless its kinda small though, I don't really want one as I move my laptop around quite a bit and don't want things hanging out of it unnecessarily. I have a shortcut key too, but, while it turns the screen off, it only stays off so long as you don't press anything.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-27 19:02:01

hi, well my graphics card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics Family  (google the lenovo g40-70)
and the hotkey on this one is the fn key plus f9. The screen will stay off until you press that combination again.
as for the old program I was talking about, monitor power.exe, I stopped using it because when you ran it .. yes, the screen would be off but it would for some reason, make your computer lag somewhat.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-07-27 23:08:53

see, I also have a short cut key, but that either temporarily dims the screen, or brings up the windows-p dialog. as for the size of my HDMI, as long as you don't carry the laptop in and out of a bag, or you forget to unplug it, it will work, trust me.  mine's the half of the size of a USB drive, but I guess I can't comment until I use it in a colleg environment.  if the mac has a HDMI port, you're set.

2018-07-28 00:45:46

I too have been looking for a solution to this problem ever since I obtained a Windows 10 machine last year.
Someone did mention the HDMI adapter option to me, but I've been hesitant to use it because I tend to travel a fair bit, and don't need the adapter snapping off or destroying my HDMI port.
All options I've found (and they are legion) to disable the monitor only do so until you press a key. The screen will go black, but once you do anything, it comes back on. This includes some manufacturer options (my system has a key to turn off the monitor).
Disabling the monitor does save battery life. A lot of battery life, depending on your machine. It might even triple it, if you're lucky and have the screen set to a high brightness level (one machine I've seen will go from four hours (screen on at max brightness) to 12-15 hours (screen off). I find it unlikely that there would  be a lot of laptops with that particular combo of power-hungry monitor and low-powered components, but I also don't have a huge sample size to study.

2018-07-28 06:24:27

I suppose I should've mentioned that the lenovo screen turn off feature actually does it I.E its a toggle and the screen will only turn on again after you press that particular button, no other button presses would do a thing. would be kinda useless and not worth mentioning otherwise. That's the only thing I miss from my old lenovos.

Follow me on twitter

2018-07-28 12:20:49 (edited by Chris 2018-07-28 12:23:28)

I believe the MacBook Pro 2015 comes with Thunderbolt ports. This means you will either need a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or Mini Display Port to HDMI. Thunderbolt is compatible with Mini Display Port. However, a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable or adapter should be much cheaper than Thunderbolt.

2018-07-29 00:31:06

This is an interesting solution, and I think, if my plans go through and I'm able to score a laptop for relatively cheap soon, I very well may buy one of these things. I can see how it might be inconvenient for someone who travels frequently, but since I don't, this would actually be perfect for me.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-29 03:50:14

So, commenting on #6, I'm typing this from an early 2015 MacBook Pro and it does come with a HDMI port smile

2018-07-29 06:22:40

Hi,
Thank you criss and Ronand big_smile. the 3 pound headless hdmi thingy costs about 15 pounds here,sheesh. but I guess worth it for the privicy alone.
Cheers!

Follow me on twitter

2018-07-29 21:48:46

It's good to know Apple included an HDMI port on the MacBook Pro up until the USB C refresh. Plugging in the adapter should do the trick. You can order the one I have at https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Hea … 00FLZXGJ6/ and try it out. I don't think it transmits audio, but I'm not sure as I use a DVI to HDMI adapter with my 2006 Mac Mini.

2018-07-30 03:40:43

Thank you cris.
I guess this maybe a workable solution but I still end up paying $20 or there abouts anyway.
at this point I have realised that's one thing I can't avoid lol.
Here is what amazon says.
Price: $8.50 + $9.37 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to India
so I pay more in taxes and shipping than I do for the actual product tongue
Either way,Thanks OP, cris for helping me out.
Grryf

Follow me on twitter