2018-07-19 05:18:31

Hello guys!
I'm trying to develop a game but I'm having a problem that I can not solve.
My game just does not open!
There is no error in bgt, on windows, or anything.
There is no sound, no window, with absolutely nothing!
My sound and music files are in mp3.
How to solve this?

2018-07-19 17:22:39

Hmm, that's odd indeed, can you open any BGT games? Just grab some public source code, if the example games are still on the bgt site, go there, and try to open those. If that does not work, maybe try to right click, shift F10, or use your applications key on the bgt file, and go to compile (debug) and press enter there. I'm just giving general troubleshooting tips, I don't really know why this is happening, but perhaps your resultswill yield some clues.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-19 17:56:25

First, bgt does not support mp3 format. Second, If you have already called the show_game_window function, then you surely have no while loops. A while loop is required to show the window and keep it active.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-07-20 02:42:48

It technically can still run that way right? It just needs the window to actually be a game? I bet there might be processes left open in your task manager from that script.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-20 23:14:55

No. If you don't write a while loop for it, It calls the window creation function and exits since there's nothing else to execute. But when a while loop is coded there's an infinet loop so the application stays running. This aplys to all of the programming languages. Like in python we need to do this to have a pygame window. Some libraries handle that for you already like wx but such thing, I'm afraid isn't in bgt. Although C A E jones had coded a game.bgt file or something like that where it had a game class and window creation and stuff, You just had to code the actual game and keypresses and alike

---

2018-07-21 00:09:16

I know you need your own loop to keep the game running, I was just meaning without the show_game_window function. My understanding was that the BGT code could actually run without that function having been called, it just would not be able to accept any input without it. So, if I were to say, code a talking clock that all it ever did was speak the time then exit, it technically wouldn't need show_game_window. If course, this is just semantics and 99.9999999% of BGT stuff will actually use it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-21 01:44:10

Hello guys!
Does anyone know of any way to convert mp3 files to ogg?
With format factory I could not do

2018-07-21 01:56:55

furst of all, post a separate topic for that, but in a sound edditor like goldwave, or audacity, i think it works in audacity, you can open the file, and hit save as, and choose one of the file types

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-07-21 03:24:55

Get SoX, the sound exchange, its a nice CLI package and all you'd do is cd to the place where its at and do sox failename.mp3 filename.ogg and you're done in most cases, though on windows it doesn't come with the thing I just forgot about the mp3 encoder so you need to get it. Another alternative is FFMpeg

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-21 08:51:47

Yes actually a while loop keeps a program running. This aplys to all the programming languages i know

---

2018-07-21 14:21:34

Yeah my point is though, and I'm curious now so I'm gonna have to try it with a while loop that's just got a thousand or so iterations so it will kill off eventually, but I'm just curious if you can actually start a game, and have something speak or something, without ever showing that window. That window function isn't enough to keep your program running. If you show_game_window(), and you then put some code below it, once BGT gets through all that code in the main function, it terminates, the window isn't enough to keep it running while there's no code to execute, that's what I'm trying to say.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-22 03:41:40

yeah it cleans itself up, and you can very much run without a window. I've done it. And if you do input box or question or alert, it pops up a fake one anyway, then vanishes. There's also a hide game window. We use that on bgt game servers so that if the source file doesn't exist, I.E. not being run from localhost debug, the window doesn't show at all, but the runtime errors still fie and the meter goes beep

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-07-22 12:55:16

Yeah, I kinda thought you could. Lol you know what would be funny, its all dependent if BGT can register an alt-tab before the alt tab kicks in and takes the focus. I know it would register the alt as a key down, but the tab might be too quick for it, but that's easily testable. IF it did though, you could make your game window hide when alt tab is pressed, then make it show again after 30 seconds or so, so they'll jump away to do whatever, then they can't find their game again, and just at the point where they'd be ready to kill its process, it pops back up.

End racism
End division
Become united