2018-10-02 05:38:48

angels? i believe you are dreaming.  i mean seriously? microsoft? angels?

2018-10-02 06:06:59

if Microsoft isn't evil, then blind people can drive regular cars with no assistance and no crashes. Microsoft is in direct violation of the ADA, and they will be reported, the little uncaring selfish shits

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2018-10-02 06:33:06

Oh yeah, keep dreaming, it is nice. For anybody more realistic, this topic is there for skype, not for blindy conspiracy theories.

2018-10-02 08:44:18

ElizaBaez wrote:

if Microsoft isn't evil, then blind people can drive regular cars with no assistance and no crashes. Microsoft is in direct violation of the ADA, and they will be reported, the little uncaring selfish shits and nothing will happen about it

Fixed the quote. Also, Do your research, Eliza. Do you also drink the kool-aid and think lizard men run the world?

I'm actually liking where MS is going with Skype 8 and how they're making progress and making good progress.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-10-02 09:30:39

Lol. How exactly are they in violation? I'm curious now.

2018-10-02 09:54:50

No idea. I didn't drink anything she offered me. I don't like kool-aid anyhow and when she's made it...no, no thankss. Okay, seriously....Eliza, you're on the wrong forum for conspiracy theories, but you'd get laughed off of actual conspiracy theory forums. MS knows the law and follows it. I mean, they were nice enough to include Narrator. in WInodows.Windows. So. Add in high contrast.....yeah. Also, again, research is a wonderful thing realy...

Also, I actually....like Web skype. Mostly because it works...well...correction, works for IMing with other stuf for calls and suchlike. I'm just glad Skype's still around.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-10-02 11:21:17

Web anything just seems so clunky compared to a good old native app. That's just me though.

2018-10-02 11:32:16

i won't give them a feedback i did that once and they started being racist. they need to know   how to improve their apps for blind people and add better high contrasts to their apps.

2018-10-02 12:53:58

Eliza is someone I suggest ignoring wholesale. This is a person who tried saying, on a different website, that she was friends with Steve Jobbs, and that Jobbs was still alive. There's been worse as well. I actually suspect mental illness, not just trollishness. Whatever the case may be, I stick by my original point. Just ignore, and she'll go away.

And as for the Skype issue? I did not realize split window view was CPU-intensive, and really still don't see why that would be the case, especially given today's hardware potential. But oh well. That's a big selling point for me, I'm not a fan of everything being in the same window. I still use and like Skype, the version I've been using for awhile, but I suppose I will learn to manage when I have to upgrade. I'm also not entirely sure why a forced upgrade is necessary; if people want to use versions that are CPU-intensive or whatever, why not just let 'em?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-10-02 14:01:19

Well, it was clear, that it would happen some day. At first, I was Kind of annoyed, that Microsoft wanted to replace an old, goodworking, efficient program with a clunky web application. But on the other hand, I am not a big Skype user anymore anyway. And with that Change, I will probably get rid of it completely.
And why the forced upgrade? Well, lately, Microsoft was allways Kind of forcefull with their Upgrades. I mean, they wanted to shove Windows 10 at everyone. And they gave it away for free. And besides the fact, that Windows 10 practically eliminates any Kind of privacy on your Computer, everyone wanted that Spyware infected Piece of Software. So, who knows, what Kind of Information that new Skype will collect...

2018-10-02 14:45:38

Forced ubgrade can be explained pretty well. Microsoft had a classic skype app, the thing we all loved. Then, they had Android, iOS, Mac, linux and so on. Thus, they've decided to make a cross platform, what is now known as skype 8 web app. Now, should they keep maintaining all those 5 apps that I've already counted along with that web app which works on any OS with small code modifications? This is more or less why it is forced. When they add a new feature to skype, they would have to re code it 5 or 6 times for every platform, make sure it has been tested and so on. Regarding feedback, depends what do you mean by racist. Just like the other guy, I should ignore non constructive posts from now. If you say they were racist, tell us why do you think so or don't say it at all. The same if you say skype sucks, or really I am not defending MS, this is for any company or app.

2018-10-02 15:01:57

Ok, has anyone realized that the classic Skype sunset isn't actually a forced upgrade? The reports suggest that you'll probably still be able to use it for a good while longer, but it will now endure the obvious functional degradation overtime. So if you really wanna use it, go ahead. Personally other than not being able to change the sounds, lack of native tts support *which by the way is possible if they would incorporate web tts* as well as the call quality *give web-audio some time to improve* they really did try to improve Skype 8 over the past few months. Is it great and perfect and just like the native app? By no means, but at least it is closer than it was before 09/01.

2018-10-02 19:11:56

It may not be a forced upgrade, but holding onto the classic version until it simply refuses to connect isn't a great solution, either. You might as well get used to the change now, while you can slowly transition if you really need to.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-10-04 17:29:46

what a nice track record. 10 minutes wasted reading about 120 posts of people not agreeing when they could just as well insult each other privately. But no, arrogance and a show off on public forums is preferable, and even desired... Definitely, to each their own.
I have been unable to scrape bits of information regarding skype 8 and so on, so instead of destroying one another with the very snarky and time wasting remarks, why can't we be a bit more mature and focus on posting actually useful content, like articles that tell us whats been improving on skype?
or how we can use it, like reviews from a blindness perspective?
Personally Its been ages since I haven't used skype but its required once every blue moon.
I just looked and I do have version 7.40 something.
What is better to use, the windows app or the latest skype?

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-04 18:02:55

i use the skype 8, ot the Windows 10 uwp app.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2018-10-04 19:24:18

Microsoft Backtracks, Classic Skype Lives to See Another Day
I dont think so

2018-10-04 22:24:54

i've been told Skype 8 is more accessible than the windows 10 Skype app but I haven't tried it.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-04 22:39:12

That's what I've heard as well. Freedom Scientific is focusing on Skype 8 as they've determined that it's probably what most people will be using. I can't speak about NVDA as I don't use it. The Windows 10 October 2018 update does include changes to UWP Skype, but I don't know if that means it's better with screen readers or not.

2018-10-05 04:37:14

Discrimination,
Noun,
the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, sex, or disability.
Sound familiar? That is what Microsoft is doing, in case you didn't know.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2018-10-05 05:27:36

thanks for the dictionary definition, I guess, but I could have just googled it myself if I really wanted to do so. However, that tells me nothing of what is new or how skype 8 can be used.
If microsoft was that committed to the unfair or prejudicial misstreatment of disabled people, narrator would never even have been an idea, far from it. There would not have been a beta for braille displays either. There would also not be something like seeing AI. And so on and so on. Please next time you throw really funny and unfounded accusations like that, have at least sourced arguments that can back those claims. Otherwise I would just never be interested.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-05 06:15:36

but 221, if there wasn't narator, there wasn't money either! they do it for, money only

2018-10-05 06:56:24

I hate narator, sucks, crappy crap crappy crap, craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. never use it absolute crap. bleh! hate narator!

2018-10-05 07:21:27

yes, it sucks, and it's another money trap for people to buy windows

2018-10-05 07:26:10

Moderation!

Good gravy here we go again. is it so damn hard to disagree peacefully.

First, To everyone throwing around words like "trol", "spam" etc.
Eliza and everyone else is entitled to their opinions of Microsoft, skype and so on and all throwing around insults will do  cause the very sort of ridiculousness we've seen here.

@Eliza, feel free to dislike microsoft or skype or anything else, but throwing around such imotive language, declaring "anyone who doesn't like skype 8 isn't my friend" and the like is not going to make for a constructive discussion.;

If you wish to claim Microsoft are discriminating, then provide evidence rather than using buzwords  and  make a reasonable argument. Remember, that almost everyone on this forum is in the same boat in terms of accessibility.

For everything else, I agree with UltraLeetJ in post 215.

in the end Microsoft are neither entirely benevolent nor completely malevolent. They are a company bent on making money and dominating the market, as my friend Mr. Marx said, the creation of prophet is a none moral imperative, IE it is neither good nor evil which is why you can't specifically derive morality from it.

Some actions microsoft take will be benevolent, EG development of narrator or inclusion of keyboard shortcuts and reasonable access support in many programs. Others will definitely not be EG their manufacturing practices in third world countries,  or (to be relevent to this discussion), their forced upgrade practice which effectively slaves a large share of the userbase to whatever decisions Microsoft make due to compatibility issues.

In the end what people as users need to do is look at what is produced, see how best to make it work for them, take the good with the bad, or look into what alternatives might be available. Microsoft will do what they do regardless of anyone else's opinions and that's that.

Personally, I was actually hoping for a reasonable discussion since setting up Skype with NvdA has been on my Todo list for a while now, so I'm a little sorry this topic has degenerated so badly.

if it continues to spiral downwards it will be closed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-05 07:51:33

How do you get rid of the skype app that came pre-install with Windows 10?