2018-07-18 11:36:04

Peh. Microsoft is going bad and bad. They are forcing people to update, I will try to send a e-mail to microsoft.

2018-07-18 11:57:11

It's all well and good ssaying oh make your own but this isn't slapping code into BGT and throwing it out the door. There's a hell of a lot to do to put a Skype-esque system together, and the userbase would be tiny for any program. Skype is marketed, it's a part of Windows. So I get the redesign to fit with Windows 10 itself. Like I said, I like the interface and I actually.....you know.....I like what they are going for. Are they fully there yet? Not sure what their end goal is, I don't have access to those goals and none of us here do.....

Whining and crying 'but I have to use skype classic' won't solve anything at all though. MS is moving forward. They don't need to from their end, keep the older versions of software around. Remember, they cater to a very, VERY wide group of users with a lot of needs and uses. So.......consider that.

also for making your own. Consider this. Mozilla tried, and failed. Apple, MS, theirs are proprietary, there's a few open source alternatives out there but.....they are nowhere near the adoption rate of the big names. Here's the issue. You say oh, make our own one. Here's the other issue. If you make it for blind people, then you'll never get the traction it needs, and given how well projects get worked on and the pace of it with this community....yeah, it'll be stop and start and a little bit here and a tiny bit there and then it'll get dropped for something newer and shinier and forgotten about, at least if history is any indicator....

Lastly, @TGC: No, you missed the part of my post where I SPECIFICALLY mentioned the interface only and explained what I like about it. I'm agreeing with Crystal on this one. I like the web skype interface. Now, IF that is the interface in the updated Skype desktop, I'm fine with that. It's simpler to get around. Does the search suck? Yes. But overall from a pure interface point of view, is it quicker to get around? Arguably....yes.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-07-18 12:58:13

Well, I just had a look at the new interface.
Is it usable? Well, I guess, if you are willing to "feel" your way through that stupid webinterface of MS, then, I guess, you could call it usable.
Is it more efficient than the classic version? Hell no. For something, you could do with a keyboard shortcut in the earlier versions, now you need to navigate with the cursor, to get, where you want.
I guess, this new shiny interface is probably good for sighted people. I think, if you are a mouse pusher, and you can see everything at once, this interface is good.
For me though, it was a pain in the ass, and I can't see myself using it. So, at least on the computer, my days with Skype are numbered.

2018-07-18 13:18:56

first, please highlight the report button, I suppose it'll work as thumbs down.
Monday evening, after hearing the news on twitter, I made myself a restore point, and I installed skype 8 on my win7 dell that's currently my primary device. I should point out, that due to a rather nice sounding, but rather strangely laid out dell audio, and virtual audio cable, skype 7 never even accepted my internal microphone, I had to go into advanced, and almost drag and drop it, just so I could join calls with this thing. had to object navigate, and move the thing up the list. but hey, I managed it.
anyways, going back to skype 8. I tried the thing like 2 weeks ago, and I've literally rage quit it. this time, though, I've took about 5 minutes to carefully explore it. someone had a point, it kinda looks like the android app. you essentially have a conversation drop down list, you still have the invisible status, (yes, I love that thing) and in that menu, you can change a bunch of shits. it's also nice to see that NTM works in input fields on skype 8, whereas they don't work on the win10 app, because, well, keyboard clicks for the win. smile
do I love the thing? no I don't. did I revert to skype 7? no, I haven't, and am not likely to. do I miss certain features from skype 7? yes, I certainly do. we appear to only have 8, yes, that is a total of 8! skype commands, on the slash side of things. I'm also yet to figure out how to view/see people's details on their skype profiles, (I look at those things all the time) smile but other than that, I'd almost go as far as saying that I prefer it.
of course, not everything is beautiful. in skype 7, under communications tab, on the windows side, I clicked to do nothing with incoming calls. then in skype, I muted the ring tone. so if someone called me on the windows side, it would say something like meow calling alert, but it wouldn't interupt me, and if I didn't want to answer meow, well too bad, I didn't. with skype 8, though, and this pisses me off beyond words, you get that extremely loud musical damn ring tone, skype becomes full screen, if you reject the other end sees it, if you switch back apps the god damn ring tone continues to play. the sounds also seem to be incrypted, so I don't think I could force kill the ring tone that way, I could deal with the full screen thingy then. as for the win10 app, that, too, has improved a lot, but didn't play much with it so far. it does allow me to view all and every message I've ever sent on my skype, though, it allows me to view old messages, things that skype 8 doesn't, but I find that thing to be a tad too laggy for my liking, at least when I played with it.for people that are literally raging, and yes, there's a few, not so much in this topic, but I've seen plenty of those people, I have nothing to say, other than getting a good laugh out of it.
Microsoft forced win10 on us, win10 home users are still forced to update, unless you set your wireless metered. so I don't understand why people are surprised, this was known, and microsoft will continue to force you to update, as they have done in the past. sure, they listen to feedback, but their update policies haven't been redesigned.
if you have a skype account from anything after 2013, think it is, that account automatically becomes a Microsoft account, or has became one.

2018-07-18 13:51:32

Which version of skype does ninite install?

Because I was playing around with that version and I didn't find it all that bad.

I hardly use skype these days so this probably won't effect me as much, but I wasn't able to work out how to close a chat window.

2018-07-18 16:41:36

i dont know how to close the chat, too. it should be ctrl-f4, but it doesent work.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2018-07-18 18:11:06

Ninite installs Skype 8, the Elektron app. I wish there was a way to hide those stupid Cortana suggestions, I don't need to see that in my chats, thank you very much.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-18 19:06:31

We have to fight back! Don't take this lying down. Fight them. If you let them win without a fight, you never had a chance. We have to fight hard. All of the solutions you gave are for Windows. What about Mac users? Fight them. Protest if you have to. I should know about protesting. I've done enough.

2018-07-18 19:14:40 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2018-07-18 21:19:49)

Joan Baez wrote:

We have to fight back! Don't take this lying down. Fight them. If you let them win without a fight, you never had a chance. We have to fight hard. All of the solutions you gave are for Windows. What about Mac users? Fight them. Protest if you have to. I should know about protesting. I've done enough.

You are not  Joan Baez.  You are impersonating a living  musical artist.  Stop!

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2018-07-18 22:52:03

That may very well be so, but let's not derail a perfectly legitimate topic with this crap yet again.

And, there's really no point in fighting it anyway. Once Microsoft makes up their mind about something, or any corporation that can throw their weight around as well as they can, for that matter, a few blind people throwing a fit isn't going to change a thing. Now that I have the NVDA add-on for the new app installed, it's tolerable, although I still would like keyboard shortcuts, and I really do despise those Cortana suggestions. I find them creepy.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-18 23:11:38 (edited by hadi.gsf 2018-07-18 23:20:14)

@turtlepower17 I wonder if you're getting those suggestions because cortana is still activated in your windows 10.
I freaking hated windows 10 until i realized i can do a lot of things to make it cool. one of them was completely  disabling cortana.
Windows 10 comes default for not desktops, It's for Windows tablets, hybrids, convertibles, and 2-in-1s. that's why skype 8 also looks this way.
I still couldn't figure out how to make start menu search to actually search for files though.....but that's for another topic.

also LMFAO. fighting? remember windows 8? now think again about that heh.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-07-18 23:15:57

turtlepower17 wrote:

That may very well be so, but let's not derail a perfectly legitimate topic with this crap yet again.

And, there's really no point in fighting it anyway. Once Microsoft makes up their mind about something, or any corporation that can throw their weight around as well as they can, for that matter, a few blind people throwing a fit isn't going to change a thing. Now that I have the NVDA add-on for the new app installed, it's tolerable, although I still would like keyboard shortcuts, and I really do despise those Cortana suggestions. I find them creepy.

Those suggestions are creepy... I still have classic on my computer but my iPhone has the new interface and theirs no setting to turn them off... I don't care for cortana honestly, I'm kind of old fashioned when it comes to how i use my computer, and I like having control over it. And I guess having control over your computer and not having everything you do logged is considered old fashioned now.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2018-07-18 23:46:21 (edited by sito 2018-07-18 23:47:42)

to people having problems with skype 8. i think i may have found a way to if not solve at least make the experience more like skype 7. disable your curser if you're a jaws user or go in to aplications mode if you use nvda. from there you can use alt one to access recent chats. alt 2 for contacts and so on. you then xcan open a chat and in most cases you'll be in the edit message so you can type. if you want to read the chat schift tab like twice and you can arrow down in the chat perfectly. learn the hotkeys for skype 8 and you'll be good to go.
that will work for people who uses skype as a chat client. and btw ctrl+p is used for editing a message i think so there you have it.
if i could figure out how to make it so the curser disables permanently when going in to skype

2018-07-19 00:13:53

Hi.
While I find it a bit sad that the easy skype experience will be gone, I don't really use it anymore for massive conversations, i think I talk to two people and a group regularly, else I have team talk or team speak.
I at leased hope that the mac app will stay sort of accessible.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-07-19 00:16:44

simba wrote:

Hi.
While I find it a bit sad that the easy skype experience will be gone, I don't really use it anymore for massive conversations, i think I talk to two people and a group regularly, else I have team talk or team speak.
I at leased hope that the mac app will stay sort of accessible.

Greetings Moritz.

From what I'm hearing, the Mac app is worse tham Windows.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.

2018-07-19 00:38:18

windows isn't so bad though after i tried it with jaws. i will be doing for nvda soon. it works fine for brousing and typing in chats. there's an nvda addon written by dug lee that you should try. over all if you're a jaws user and get the scripts you'll be fine. maybe the screen readers might get a better sullution than scripts and addons but only time will tell. in the mean time it isn't so bad really as long as you know the new hotkeys and use aplication mode

2018-07-19 00:51:22

sito wrote:

windows isn't so bad though after i tried it with jaws. i will be doing for nvda soon. it works fine for brousing and typing in chats. there's an nvda addon written by dug lee that you should try. over all if you're a jaws user and get the scripts you'll be fine. maybe the screen readers might get a better sullution than scripts and addons but only time will tell. in the mean time it isn't so bad really as long as you know the new hotkeys and use aplication mode

I'm tempted to record podcasts on each app version, but... it's summer. No way!

2018-07-19 00:52:47

Not being able to have chats in separate windows or minimize the thing to the system tray is bad enough. I say again, with how the new Skyep is, I may as well just use Skype for Web in a browser, which is ridiculous.

Peter Skillmen, the Director of Design for Skype, told me that they plan to add multi-window support at some point when I asked about this via Twitter. I seriously don't know how doable this is in an Electron app. Wouldn't that just take more resources since each chat would be in its own chrome window?

2018-07-19 01:38:58

One would think, yes, and that's bad news considering that Chrome is already going to start using more resources due to the fixes they've implemented for the Specter flaws. I'm not sure if that means Elektron apps will necessarily follow in their footsteps, but it would make sense, and that would suck.

2018-07-19 01:42:06

have you people actally read the posts? if you had you would know that pressing alt f4 minimizes the app and ctrl+q quits it

2018-07-19 02:14:05

A podcast I'm watching has a theory of why Microsoft acquired Github (and thereby Electron). That's a discussion for another day.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-07-19 07:37:19

I'm getting used to the electron skype by the time. The thing that annoys me is that when i press enter on one of my chats, it jumps to my info and i should press shift tab a tun of times to get to the message editor. Also if we could have the nvda+control+number 1 to 0 for reading chats in this thing would be awesome

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-07-19 14:09:49

I just had a look at Skype 8 with VoiceOver on macOS High Sierra. The interface is accessible, but it's not nearly as easy to navigate as it was in Skype 7. The interface looks like the iOS app. I don't think any of the previous keyboard shortcuts work which is a major pain. I'll most likely have to find something else. I wish Google made native apps for Hangouts on macOS and Windows. I'm sick of all these web and mobile apps!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-07-19 14:12:01

Hey kianoosh, this happens sometimes but you do not have to shift tab a bunch of times. Switch to browse mode with insert space, and then press e once and you will navigate to the edit field for typing a message.

2018-07-19 17:57:57

Oh thanks

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988