2018-07-15 19:17:21

I was truly hoping to release this game by now.  Due to a complete hard drive failure, some great holidays, a beer festival and an upgrade of my audio typing tutor its still half built.  I also lost around 20 gigs of sound files that for some reason were not backed up.  I am in serious need of some motivation.  On the upside, the game is still flexible enough to add more locations and game content, and of course has lots of room for soundwork.  The game actually runs, its just not finished.  Here's a brief overview:

Its a genre mix between resource management, rpg and adventure.  There's 3 ways you can approach the game.  Either just go for killing the bandits, wolves and head for the dragon, or go for a good economy and upgrade your buildings and fighting power or advance the storyline.  Not sure yet where the balance lies yet.  Leave you with the intro you get when the game starts:

You are the leader of a small settlement called Dragon Village, You have around 100 villagers, but many demands on their time, Your task is to grow and prosper, You will have to watch the weather and plan for floods, "You will have to defend against wolfpacks and gangs of bandits, You can make goods in the village and sell them at market, You can win favour with the king, or earn respect from the gods, You can send villagers on journeys or take a quest from the village witch, The brave may even choose to visit the dragon, the choice is yours, Press any key to begin your journey.

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2018-07-15 19:26:36

Wow. Sounds awesome... I look forward to hear more about the game...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-15 19:49:22

oo nice, we need more of that type of thing.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-15 23:51:50

Hi,
Nice. I am looking forward to this, a good ol adventure!
I also though, have a suggestion for another style of story as well though, could we perhaps, if we wanted to, somehow have a way that we might not necessarily have to kill a dragon, in fact it could help us/the village? Have recently seen the film series How to Train Your Dragon and I found that idea kind of interesting. Or is this dragon pretty much already been decided to be the evil type?

2018-07-16 00:00:21

Hello folks! Yeah, agree with Aaron on this matter. But it wont prevent me to give it a try if not intended. Also, drop me a line either here, private message or [email protected] if you wish me to try and do some voice acting for you smile Best of luck!
Regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-07-16 00:28:31 (edited by Rocky Waters 2018-07-16 00:31:46)

Haramir, you will be glad to hear your voice is now in the new release of my typing tutor and many thanks for such.  The dragon is not yet in the game, though smoke can be seen on the northern horizon.  So both the dragon and the end game are up for suggestions, and I'm fine with alternative endings.  At the moment there are 7 written quests, some building tasks not all written and 3 missions for the king, 2 of which are written.  There are over 30 locations with some being discovered as game content is unlocked.  There are several NPC characters who impact on the story.  At the moment no upgrades are available for buildings or abilities, but I have a solid plan for such.  Thanks also to Badger, Wolf and Aprone for testing the game so far.  Fortunately the way the code has worked out gives flexibility even down to how many locations on the map, and all visuals can be automatically resized to fit the players monitor, storylines can be changed, variables and random outcomes are all flexible.  I'm not tied into much hard coding.  The big question is should I release a half built game or should I forge ahead with game sounds, upgrades and kings missions, dragon events and the end game.  As a side question, should the dragon burn down the church?

2018-07-16 00:33:08

@2, I have been helping to test the game and it is awesome. even half finished it is really addictive and I think people are going to love it.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-07-16 10:48:04

This sounds fantastic. I've always appreciated your design work in current projects rocky, so its awesome to here your working on a more complex game, and one which as a lover of rpgs, resource management games and  anything and everything to do with dragons  sounds right up my alley big_smile.

I always thought game of floods had a lot of potential for expantion, but it sounds like its gone waaaaay further than the original fairly simple concept, so congrats on that score.

Personally as far as the release goes I'd suggest waiting until you have a complete story that can be played end to end, even if you release other activities, buildings etc later.

Games with broad objectives or arcade games can generally survive a peace meal release schedule, look at the way many of Aprone's games expanded, however a game with a set story and set of tasks can be somewhat frustrating if your having to wait in the middle due to the game not having its story content finished, especially if you then, after initial release end up chopping and changing more about the games progress and side  and so we have to wait  few versions for the final story.

So, while I'm really eager to try the game myself, and indeed both myself and Mrs. Dark would be up for voice acting if needed, I'm quite happy to wait until we have a hole story to play through.

As regards dragons and the end game. One thing I love about dragons, is that dragons can vary in personality and motivation. You can have the huge beastial dragons that just turn up and cause havoc, you can have wily, intelligent evil dragons like good old Smaug, you can have friendly dragons like the ones in Anne McCaffrey etc.

I loved how in classic D&D there were so many different types of dragons, the evil chromatic dragons like red, white, black, blue and green, and the good metallic dragons like bronze, brass, gold silver and copper, then of course all the miscilanious types like steel dragons, shadow dragons, yellow dragons, cloud dragons and so on.

So, how about taking advantage of this idea and having different sorts of dragons.
maybe there is a powerful, evil dragon causing havoc and so nicer natured dragons are getting a bad name. Or maybe you discover some abandoned dragon eggs and decide the best thing to fight a dragon, is another dragon, or heck, maybe it turns out its not an evil dragon at  all but some other powerful evil monster, or heck maybe an evil wizard creating the impression of dragon attacks in order to increase paranoia and make a grab for power.

I actually would love the idea of breeding and training dragons in your village as part of the resource management element, though that might be something for another game, or a major future expansion.

Either way, one nice thing about dragons is that you can do unexpected things with them, and while calling the game "dragon village" implies that there should be a dragon in there somewhere, no reason why you need to go the expected route by making the dragon some huge evil boss just there to be slane.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-07-16 11:34:56

Dark Alley or Dark's alley could be a location in the game.

2018-07-16 11:44:42

Well a "dark alley" would sort of make sense, ---- as for "dark's alley" well that might be potentially open to misconstruction big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-07-16 13:05:48

I think this could be good, this whole, is it a good or evil dragon, but its down to trying to figure out the intent of the dragon that approaches you, do you wait, with the potential threat looming, your people getting anxious by the minute, preparations unmade, or half made, or are you the leader that charges into battle, archers at the parapets, trebuchets at the ready. If you are that latter type, might you have attacked a friendly, benevolent creature for no reason, save that of quelling unrest.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-22 23:29:27

The land to the north of the Rocky River had been a dry and infertile place for many a year.
Dry, some said, others said scorched, or even burnt.
Yet the forest had recently grown again and the blackened hills turned a pleasant olive colour.
The river Rocky once a dry river bed, flowed again and swam with fish.
Old Brian the wise could still remember the day the first settlers crossed the Rocky River.
Although he was not so old back then, and he was called many things, none of them wise.
The settlers nestled in a clearing, between the river, the woods, the hills and the forest.
Crops were planted and a few cottages and a farm were built.
Next came the tavern, a popular place to this day.
The tavern needed a name, as did the village.
Brian the wise suggested the Green Dragon Tavern, in mockery of the old wives tales of dragons.
Perhaps wisdom has to be learned sometimes.
The name stuck however and the village became known as Dragon Village after the popular tavern.
Villagers made baskets and soon a market was set up for passing trade.
As the village grew, a blacksmith and a church were added.  Soon a general store was built to keep the grain and other goods.
even the rats seemed well fed.
Messengers were sent to the King, but as there was no hunting to be had, no reply came.
Perhaps Dragon Village was too quiet for its own good.
Brian grew with the years, and when he took charge of the tavern, he grew in size.
In those days he was called Brian the barman, or Brian the brewer.
Or sometimes even Brian the Brainless, when he forgot to charge the customers.
Brian insisted it was wise to let customers have a few free drinks.
The name stuck, as customers tried to encourage Brians wisdom.
The river swelled and a bridge was needed instead of a ford.
Fishing became a little bit tricky and a dyke was needed to protect the fields.
Suddenly the weather seemed very important in Dragon Village.
But dark clouds were not the only dark clouds on the horizon.
Rumours of bandits, and rumours of wolves grew with the telling.
And worse, much worse, smoke was seen to the North.
A lot of smoke, which means a lot of fire, according to Brian.
who by now was a lot older and wiser.
Well certainly older.
A watchtower was built and a guardhouse, but village folk were too busy to keep a constant guard.
Just one plot was left in the village and folk were asked what should be built.
Some suggested a jail for any bandits, some suggested a hospital for any injured defenders.
Brian the Wise, suggested an extension to the church graveyard.
No one asked again, and the plot remained empty.
Eyes looked to the North as the smoke drifted to the South.
Dragon Village needs a leader, which is where you come in.

2018-07-22 23:32:18

smile

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-22 23:35:28

I might just release this and ask folks to vote on the ending.

2018-07-22 23:53:12

Wow, keep it up man, this sounds great. But I am more for releasing a complete game instead of a half build one. Suggestions for the game could be missions and quests you can get from other NPC's than the witch only. More boss fights with smaller bosses and monsters before the dragon could be nice. And more than one ending would be great as well.

2018-07-23 00:45:19

Rocky if your looking for sound resources I can help you out, do you have a skype? that might be easier, or I could email you.
I know allot of good sites for high quality free sounds with solid licensing that lets you use them in even commercial games and with not allot of restrictions.
And most of them aren't the kind where you need to search for hours to find what you want, either.

2018-07-23 07:00:06

Yes please Defender, my email is
[email protected]
I am making good progress with game sounds, but searching the internet for resources really is not the best use of my time, if there is anything you can give me to make my searching more productive I would greatly appreciate, cheers.

2018-07-23 12:39:39

@rocky, definitely appreciate the sound of the writing, as Iv'e said before I can't abide games that use text and have no descriptions.

For the ending though I'm afraid I'm with Nicklas here. Multiple ending scenarios would be fun, especially if there was potential for including both good and evil dragons along the way.

As I said above, I'd also be in favour of at least finishing the main part of the story. You can add side quests, alternative paths and other endings later, but a story that can be played start to finish is definitely preferable to a story that stops in the middle if at all possible.

2018-07-23 21:31:03

Dark, thank you for your earlier offer of voice acting.  Its not a route I am going here, but there are a couple of places where I do put a human voice, if I need another I will message you, cheers.  As far as the end game goes, you have convinced me to plug on and release a complete game.  It truly is a monster upgrade on my little game of floods.  I have been wanting to do a proper storyline and village management since a year ago.  However I now want to do a massive map adventure game, which can be added and upgraded.  I will leave the partial release to that sort of project.  I do want to have such an opportunity to put in community ideas, and expand away, but perhaps not this one.  The good news is that I have now done the 35 locations on the map and game sounds for such locations.  This project has been a step up for me, but a joy to work on.  I will plug on and truly hope to please.  In other good news the RNIB phoned me today and wish to promote my typing tutor, didn't like to tell them that useful though it is, the typing tutor was boring to code, bring on the games.

2018-07-24 04:23:33

nice nice will be waiting for this!

follow me on
twitter
now go away, don't talk to me

2018-07-24 06:45:38

Lol, that sounds typical of the RNIB, if your not producing games for the over seventies likely to leave them lots of cash in your wills you don't exist, ---- no seriously! when I tried to  audiogames generally through them I was told @most blind people dont' like those sorts of games@

and once on a so called "informational day" they included a two hour long session on wills and legacies, ---- can anyone say brainwash?

Never mind the fact that the CEo and none of the board of directors are blind, but all are on over £100 k a year.

Anyway getting back to dragon village, this sounds awesome! I recall when I first played game of floods wondering if it could go further, it sounds like its gone stratospheric and I can't wait to play it.

In terms of community input etc, I'd suggest myself perhaps looking at something more with an ongoing feel than a specific start to end story, somethig say with missions or expandable random content you could add to, rather than with a specific objective in mind.
Alternatively, you could always add some extra locations and activities and such in later, I'll know more when I've played the game, which I'm very much looking forward to.

oh, and as a bonus on the voice acting front you get both myself and Mrs. Dark too, who probably has more radio experience than I do, so just let us know if we could help.

2018-07-24 15:52:22

Hi,
I definitely think it'd be great for both types of dragons, but I hope there's still the typical village sort of thing where I might just want to sit down, build up a village, and kill a dragon to complete my hero's or village's journey. But perhaps if you do that, there could be a hint or something at the end that could perhaps say wait, there's something more. However, please don't do the "yay the village is saved, but wait, your village got burned down by another dragon" I think that'd be silly, I still think this "kill the dragon" ending needs to be satisfying as well with a bit of hope that the village is saved, but, perhaps some sort of hint or text or something about the other dragons that says hold on a second, there's another way to go through this story because a dragon might not necessarily be evil. However what this non-evil version of the dragon could do, or how that would work, I don't know what to suggest, that's the only thing with this.

2018-07-24 22:58:22 (edited by defender 2018-07-24 22:58:52)

The community getting to choose some plot points would be awesome! No need to make it complicated just a pole with a handful of choices.
But if you don't want to go that rout I understand, it'd just be unique.
Also, I really like your writing.