2018-07-15 16:50:48

hi everyone.
So I'm trying to start a radio station and I am having problems. So far I got a windows VPS with 2 gigs of ram, and I've set up icecast on it. What I'm trying to achieve here is auto DJ, so when I'm not behind my PC Something could broadcast for me. I tried using ezstream to no avail since it was hard to set up. In fact I couldn't even get it to work.
Does anyone know a better solution? Perhaps something with A GUI...
or maybe a little help on getting ezstream to work on windows...
And of course, any tips that you can give me on running a radio station is highly appreciated.
this is my first time and I'm sure that there are a lot of experienced people out there

:)

2018-07-15 17:34:49

Just do something different, no one wants to hear the same crap they can hear on the other countless blindie radio stations out there, its crazy so many people want to do this, and all end up doing the same thing, its a trope now, the blindie radio station. The only unique ones I've come across were IVR, TBRN and NHB. All others I've checked out weren't worth my time. Also, do you have experience with doing this? Because if not, its going to be pretty painful to listen to as you fight to sort things out as you go along.

Also, why do you want to start a radio station. if the answer is, just to spin up music for my friends, or something similar, don't even bother. Seriously, we're so flooded with these blindie radio stations that are just no good, its ridiculous. Now, if you have a good voice, a good personality, the energy, the drive to constantly be improving, and the skill or at the very least, the skill can be acquired in time, but at least you will need some kind of talent, then OK, go for it. But remember, do something no one else does, do something to make your station stand out from the crowd, be innovative. This is one of those thing where you really want to evaluate if you've got what it takes now, before it ever gets off the ground, because if you don't, and you find out later, its going to bomb, and you're gonna be disappointed / sad / depressed. This is the voice in your head you should have, I am that voice if you don't have it, I am here to tell you that you'd better damn well stand out or you will bomb. I don't say this to be an ass, I say it because if you don't, you will have saved yourself hundreds if not thousands of hours, that you can spend on other things, and you will not have made a failure. Though failure is part of life, and we all fail. Large projects don't necessarily need to fail to count as something you can learn from. You can have smaller failures along the way that you can learn from, and those bumps in the road can be smoothed over, and you can work from that point, and go from there, building as you go.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-15 22:00:17

I agree with Post 2 to some extent. There are so many stations out there run by blind people. In fact, most of them even recruit DJs! I'll tell you this, it is a fun project. But if you want to make it a serious endeavor, you do indeed need to stand out. And no, playing AudioGames or technology talk are not standing out! We already have a couple of people doing that, and they're as good as it can get.
Anyway, as to your question: You can just use a media player of your choice to broadcast music while you are not at your computer. Just load your music library, or a specified playlist, place it on shuffle or repeat, and forward the output to your stream. the beauty of this is that you have full control of the content you send to your mountpoint. Ezstream is a bit more useful if you have a remote machine, especially Linux, that serves as your IceCast/Shoutcast machine, and you also want to make it your broadcasting machine. A sort of AutoDJ system if you will.
Hope this helps.

2018-07-15 23:19:10

You know what I would listen to? SOmeone who spun vinyl, actual vinyl, and had a clean signal from their turntable to their board. A good phono cartridge, a good preamp, etc. A really nice, clean, crisp signal, and streamed in high quality flack or something. Even flac can't completely match the sound of analog in person, and as soon as you start runing it through digital circuity, it will take away some of that analog quality, but you can get pretty close. I would listen to that, but it would have to be from someone who has a rather large, eclectic collection. Something like that stands out, something like that would be fun probably to produce and to listen to. But if you're just going to play music, you're probably gonna play stuff I don't like, don't listen to, etc. I can do better by making playlists on Spotify.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-16 07:38:52

Hi.
@ironcross32 thanks a lot  You're totally right. about that, I'm not gonna be broadcasting in English and there aren't too many radios Broadcasting in my local language, but I'll keep it all  in mind.
@kaigoku, I'm running my icecast server on a windows VPS So yes I have a remote server, But I don't know how to install ezstream on it. Already tried the documentation,  it was hard for me to understand and I couldn't Get anywhere with it. it was actually talking about building my own ezstream installer and I'm not even close to knowing how that stuff works.
Maybe you could shed some light on it...

2018-07-16 09:10:42

Hi.
@st.mc: I might be able to help you with some advice. I wander why you have chosen a Windows VPS. Sounds expensive compared to Linux, but that might fit your needs better.
So let's keep it simple.
You say you need something to broadcast when you are away from your computer. Do you wanna broadcast when your computer is turned off, or only when it's turned on? If you wanna broadcast when your computer is turned on, such as a playlist, I'll say a Windows VPS is way too expensive. If you need to broadcast when your computer is turned off, then a Windows VPS sounds useful.
When I have figured out more about what exactly you wanna do, then i might be able to help you some more. If I can't help you, then a friend of mine can for sure. he have had his own radio station for many years.
I think the best solution ever if you wanna broadcast all day and night is an extra computer just for your radio  station.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-16 09:54:06

hi
@slj, I want to be broadcasting even when my computer is turned off. I only chose windows VPS because I have no linux knowledge

2018-07-16 10:05:19

So after a bit of searching I found out that I can have a player on my windows VPS Plus a plugin that could stream to my icecast server. I'll be using foo bar 2000 for that But I haven't found a reliable streaming plugin For it yet. vorbice  streamer seems to work but it's only for ogg, altacast doesn't want to show me the configure button in the dsp tab, and an other one called streaming client wasn't that accessible.
If only I had an extra computer to keep it on all the time.
Does anyone know a better solution than Player plus streaming plugin?

2018-07-17 08:24:45

Hi.
Okay. Since you don't have an extra computer, you need to stream when your computer is turned off and you don't have any experiences with Linux, then I'll recommend a Windows VPS unless you can get an old cheep laptop just for streaming. Because, if you are really taking this serious, I'll recommend Linux for your server and an other old Windows computer as the best solution, since linux is more stable as a server than Windows in my opinion. I can't speak for Windows server program though.
My friend have used Station Playlist for many years. I have never looked at the program, so I can't tell anything other than it's quite expensive, does an awesome job out from what my friend says, have extremely many great features and is fully accessible. My friend has switch to his Mac for other reasons.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2018-07-18 13:49:03

hi
I second everyone else, windows is bad for servers, go get a linux vps and if you want auto dj get liquidsoap. your best option.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-07-18 22:02:52

ogomez92 wrote:

hi
I second everyone else, windows is bad for servers, go get a linux vps and if you want auto dj get liquidsoap. your best option.

But, that requires you have experience with linux, or are willing to learn it. smile I've taken the time to learn a lot about Linux, but it might not be all people who are willing to learn it.

Best regards SLJ.

2018-07-23 15:27:06

hello everyone.
So, I finally managed to get it done And it's working now. I'm currently using foo bar 2000 With altacast as my auto dj and edcast for live broadcasting.
This way I can Even use Spotify When I am Broadcasting live as my music source.
thanks again for all your help

2018-07-24 08:59:31

Nice that you finally got it up and running.

Best regards SLJ.