2018-07-19 01:16:29

I think i'll get it. the price is alittel steep, but then again we don't have that many games of this style in the blind community.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2018-07-19 01:42:06

Yeah. If the rumors are true, that's reprehensible, and I sincerely hope that if it is true, they're going to get ripped apart for it. I'm sorry, but deceptive marketing practices really piss me off. Unfortunately, the rumors do make a sick amount of sense.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-19 08:14:36

Fortunately I asked for a refund and got payed back. Honestly, the game is not challenging at all, I didn't even die on my first playthrough. And the exploration, nonexistent. You can't go off the track you're supposed to follow. I wouldn't have minded the bad sound design if the game had some replay value and some real challenge, but now I don't think it deserves that much money. The game is supposed to have some difficult puzzles but the two aren't that hard, I figured them out immediately.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-07-19 08:27:19

hannes wrote:

Hi all i believe if i am not mistaken that they rote some wear that sole bound is only the first chapter of echos from levia and i did not find the audio so bad thus far and after all this is there first audio game so i think we should be more forgiving.
kind regards

Hi.
If you are taking that much money for a game, and spending a lot of time reading on this forum to get an idea of what blind gamers want, you actually know what you are doing. When the people behind the game are able to make a game for all those platforms, they are not new to programing. They actually know what they are doing.
Have you read my review in the articles room? It's not just about the sounds.
Regarding the rumors, well, I won't believe anything about they being an other company before they say so themself, or before someone can prove that. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-19 15:11:22

I'm with SLJ on this one. All we have are rumors regarding them supposedly being TiconBlue in a new incarnation.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-07-19 16:04:52

I have to agree with SLJ and BrianT. While I do have a complaint with Ticonblue, that Cloverbit is Ticonblue in a new skin is just a rumor and I will wait for proof before I condemn them.

On the other hand, $30 is a bit much to ask for a short, heavily scripted, adventure with apparent audio problems.

2018-07-19 16:06:53

I agree that we should hold off on spreading unsubstantiated rumors—the similarity in gameplay and voice cast can just as easily be explained by the fact that Cloverbit was influenced by earlier games and some of those influences carried over in their design and casting choices.

While I do still want to check this game out, if and when I can justify the expense, I will admit that there is one thing I find troubling, based on the reviews, and that's what seems to be some false advertising in labeling this an RPG. It sounds much more like a linear action/adventure game than an RPG to me. Maybe there are some features that haven't been discussed, so I'm curious: while there isn't opportunity to explore off the main track, are there secret items, unlockables, or optional side quests that can be discovered if you poke around enough? Is there any sort of stat leveling or upgrade system? Do you have the opportunity to find or purchase and equip different types of gear? Essentially, is there any degree of character customization available? All of these things strike me as necessary elements of a game if you're going to call it an RPG, so if those elements aren't present Cloverbit's marketing of this game as an RPG seems like a bit of a bait-and-switch to me, even if it was unintentional.

I'm all for cutting developers some slack when it comes to their first release. I think that when a premiere game meets a certain standard of quality that you wouldn't expect from a debut project, it's easy for people to forget that the team behind it really was figuring everything out for the first time. I know we experienced that at times with reactions to AHC, where sometimes I think people expected us to have everything down to a perfect science, forgetting that we'd never done this before. I certainly wouldn't want to see the same thing happen to Cloverbit who, from what I can tell, have plenty of potential to build off of this game and make things even better in the future. But telling players they're paying for one type of games nd selling them another game...that's a more severe problem, if you ask me.

Given the price, I'm also concerned by the implication that there is little replay value. A couple other questions for folks who've played: if the answers to my question above about character customization are "No", then is there anything else to promote replaying the game? Branching dialogues or story decisions? Different paths to take? Anything like that? Also, for those who've completed the game, about how many hours of gameplay did it offer?

2018-07-19 16:09:47 (edited by seb 2018-07-19 16:38:08)

I also got refunded. Yes, the story is pretty good, just like SLJ mentioned in his review, but seriously it took me only 3 hours to complete. If the story would take at least 6 to 8 hours to complete, just like the dev mentioned in the previous topic, then maybe the price could be justified. Some audio games takes way longer to complete, have way more content and are cheaper. I have to say that I do regret the purchase, and to all of you who haven't played it I wouldn't recommend it. I'd suggest you to read SLJ's review which describes the gameplay very well if you need an idea on the game. I have to say it's pretty disappointing considering we did have high expectations for it. To answer Joseph's questions, on my part I definitely do not consider this game as an RPG. No character customization whatsoever. No replay value. Nothing like that. You are listening to a story and you need to walk a few steps to trigger the audio cutscenes, nothing more. Walk in the opposite direction and try to open a door you just exited through and you'll be told that you can't go that way. The game basically takes your hand and forces you to go in the right direction. This is not called exploration.

2018-07-19 16:31:19

I agree. I would definitely not consider this an RPG by any stretch of the imagination. For one thing a true RPG would feature, among other things, turn-based party combat, experience levels and a whole lot of other stuff that quite simply isn't found here. So yes, false advertising is present. Now, perhaps Cloverbit was unfamiliar with what an RPG actually entails (I have met game developers who were), in which case the false advertising would not have been deliberate. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But I agree with Joseph in that we need to be careful about not spreading potentially and probably false rumors. As he said, the similarities could easily have other explanations. We also don't have too many developers we can afford to lose, and if we drive them away with these negative attitudes where will we be then? I'll tell you, nowhere. Oh we'll have the games already developed that we can play over and over, but there'll be no new blood, so to speak, to revitalize the supply.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-07-19 16:45:59

Hello.
I'm affraid I'll engage a refunding process. I really took the time to think about it before acting,  as I usually tend to support this kind of project as far as I can.
But here's a simple fact : if I can certainly point some little disapointing things in AHC (essentialy minor ones), out of sight games clearly gave us what they prommised, and, should I say it again as many of us, an amazing sound quality we probably hadn't seen before in the audiogame world, a quality closer from the videogames sound quality than I would have hoped.
On the contrary, EFL, despite a sotryline which is clearly better than, for example a blind legend's story, shew us the lawest audio atmosphere I hadn't seen for long (considering the price of course).
To go back to a blind legend, even if the storyline was quite disapointing, atleast it offered a really good soundtrack and a fairly good navigation system, which is, to me, the basics of an immersive game.

I'm not happy to have come to this decision, but I felt absolutly like if had bought something totally different from what they sold me.

Let's hope the multiple comming audiogames I just read about in the general topic will help us forget 2 years waiting for this.
P.S. : this one wasn't easy to write, I'm sorry about the pour quality of my English. But that was harder then anything to find the appropriate words to describe what I felt playing this game. I even don't want to blame them, I'm just sad to see that a good audiogame is still an exception, to see that we had 3 or 4 good games in a few years, and that most of them are to short to be really replayable. Of course noone is really responsible for this. It is just frustrating, especially considering the evolution of videogames and the amazing number of them which easily offer more then 30 hours of gameplay with a fantastic storyline and, as an ultime paradoxe, a better sound quality then most of our games.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-07-19 16:54:33

BryanP, I think you may be confusing RPG with JRPG a bit. You can certainly have an RPG without turn-based combat, as well as a single-player RPG without any sort of party system. Consider the Elder Scrolls games as an example of both. That said, the elements of character customization that allow you to shape your character into the "role" you want to "play" seem to be the real essentials of an RPG that Echoes seems to be missing.

Regarding length, if the game really only does take 3 hours to complete, that's a very high price-per-hour cost. Not that we don't spend $10 for an hour of entertainment in other settings, but compared to the general cost-per-hour of other games on the market, it does seem very high.

2018-07-19 17:16:54

It sounds like a slice of real life in that you are a blind person being guided by a paranoid, over protective,  sighted person who won't allow you to choose where to go in fear that you might stub your toe.

Personally, I wouldn't even classify that as a game.

2018-07-19 17:20:25

Yeah. The game basically forces you to go just one way in the story line, there are no alternative paths to follow, you play with your staf from the beginning to the end and exploration is nonexistent. I hoped for a better product given the ammount of promotions this game received prior to it's release. I was excited for a long time before it was released to the public, I am sad the final product turned to be a dissappointment. For me atleast.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-07-19 18:08:57

Joseph I'd consider those games more along the lines of Action/RPG's myself, although there's certainly room for disagreement.

2018-07-19 18:43:34

BryanP: Sure, I'd agree with you there...but isn't an action RPG, by definition, a form of RPG? I just I'm just saying that, while I don't think you can brush with too narrow of a stroke in things like saying no turn-based combat = no RPG, I do think that there are certain broad strokes that we can all agree on, and it doesn't sound like Echoes meets those strokes. I wonder if this is just a failure on the developer's part to understand the connotation of RPG—maybe they thought, "You are playing the role of this specific character, ergo it's a role-playing game." I don't want to assume that they were deliberately misleading.

2018-07-19 19:09:19

I would also be in the camp of action rpg still being an rpg. The difference between an action rpg and a straight up action game is that in an action rpg, your relatioships with characters maters, and quests play a role in how the story plays out or in how your character evolves. Yakuza is a good example. It's a jrpg series, but there is no turn-based party combat. There is, however, experience, levelling, customization of the character, and 60 or so side quests that deepen the plot and effect the abilities you get, with more on top of that. I would consider that an rpg... but different strokes for different folks, I suppose. This game is straight up action from the sounds of it, and while I agree that we should be thankful for the developers we do have, there is a difference between that and keeping developers accountable. If we continue to keep being ok with everything we get regardless of quality without giving it critical feedback and constructive criticism because we're afraid f losing developers, we're not going to make a lot of advancements in the kind of games we get. But I digress...

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-07-19 19:33:06

I've always understood RPG to mean Role Playing Game which means you play a character in the game and have to manage that character's abilities, health and well being, as well as possessions and what is currently being worn and used.

It has nothing to do with whether combat is turn based, or in real time, or if there is even any combat at all for that matter.

Nor does it have anything to do with whether your character is alone or part of a group.

With that said, from what everyone is saying, this game is a linear adventure game, or maybe even just a computerized story book, since most adventure games I've ever played offered some level of freedom to explore.

2018-07-19 20:20:23

on the mac has anyone had the issue where they start the game and where the familiar says find the right moment after hiding, they face an attack scene that is muffled as though behind a wall? then, when they reach the top of the ship they are attacked again with no end? i was the podcaster, but did not have this problem when i recorded the demo.

2018-07-19 23:30:22

I actually, after listening to a couple of indepth recordings of this game, really like how the exploration was done, it sort of reminded me of the way the papa sangre games for iOS were played, though those did allow you to wander a bit more. but as a user who finds a lot of in game navigation confusing, it was a refresher to see that should I ever buy this title, which admittedly doesn't appear likely from what I'm reading, i wouldn't need to spend ages lost looking for something most people find right away. keep in mind, that me getting lost in games is not the games fault, completely user error. so perhaps i need to get better at gaming, smile

2018-07-19 23:37:18

No, I think you make a valid point—namely that different people prefer different styles of gameplay. In theory, there's nothing wrong with an adventure game that essentially runs on rails and weeds out any aspect of finding your way. I know plenty of people enjoyed the Papa Sangre games, myself included. Games like that aren't inferior by default—but there is a question of how much it's appropriate to charge for them, and whether or not a developer's publicity surrounding the game is accurate or misleading. But thank you for reminding us all that navigation style is a value-neutral thing, since it's ultimately a matter of preference. The fact some players expected or wanted a different type of navigation approach doesn't mean that the way Echoes does it is bad, per se.

2018-07-20 03:14:19 (edited by flameAlchemist 2018-07-20 03:21:16)

I'm thinking of getting my money back. when I herd RPG i thought that we would find different weapons that were better then the staff or be able to level up. more exploration would be nice and have the combat field allow us to run after our opponents in stead of standing their and fighting them wile they moved around.
I just rote to them. I'm not sure if it sent. is their a message after you hit the submit button?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2018-07-20 03:39:45

With all these people requesting refunds, I wonder how long it will be before Cloverbit gives up and withdraws the game.

I do hope that if they go that route, that they will listen to their customers and rework the game and release a much improved version rather than give up and walk away from the audio games market.

2018-07-20 08:22:05

Hi.
Having checked their website again, I don't see RPG mentioned anywhere. Where do you see this?
I wander why we haven't heard anything from the developers right after the release where I mentioned I couldn't find the game in the app store. Yeah I assume they are getting a ton of feedback from other sources as well. But still...
@wlomas: I haven't noticed this issue when playing the game on my Mac. It is maybe there, and it might just be me who haven't noticed it. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-20 09:58:32

hi, the thing about papa sangre and the other somethinelse games that had you walk around is that they actually had different environs and scinarios you had to think your way around. Even though ps was just finding a series of objects and then the exit you had different kinds of monsters that behaved in their own ways, terrain that slowed you down or tripped you, and other things like that. I don't really know what it is with new devs and games like these, and i don't mean to offend or sound too harsh here but, do they think that a bop it style combat system is fun for blind people, or that anything more complex is too hard for them? It sometimes does seam so, judging by what a blind legend, soulbound, and other games like this were doing.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-07-20 10:36:03

well I think i'll be demanding a refund as well. it really is just a linnier story driven drama rather than a game. you just get to push keys here and there. the fight sequences are a joke and you are on a set path the hole time. it's a shame but it's really not worth what they are charging for it. plus does anybody remember the original series of V from the early 80's? the familiar has the same terrible vocal affect they used on the aliens in that. she does kind of sound cute though.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.