2008-09-11 21:04:49

Just about everyone I know who are in to gaming build or get of hold of PCs design for gaming. I know just about everyone on this form that plays games plays audio games. So what would be the best PC for playing audio games? What would you put in one if you were building one? Would you build one if you could? What is the most processer demanding audiogame on the market to date? At last, what is your most favorit audio game?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-11 21:18:27

Audio games are intentionally designed with lower specs, as much because they are less complex as because people think the blind can't/won't buy specific gaming computers. This is true only in so far as we have no reason to buy them as they don't offer any games which either require or benefit from such a system.

Personally the only thing I can think of that would have any benefit to audio games as it is would be a sound card with at least 5.1, not at all hard to get and is almost standard - my motherboard came with one such card built in... and a surround sound speaker system designed for gaming or home cinema on a PC. Even if audio games were more complex and had higher requirements the only thing you would requir would be a better processor and/or more ram.

I would probably recommend a dual core processor to any people who rely on assistive software anyway, and in almost all cases dual core doesn't impact game performance since they only run as a single thread.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-11 22:57:52

I was thinking along similar lines. How much does acistive tech really use of the processer? On the other hand, I would always suggest Closing all programs including screen reading software if not needed during game play. As for the duel core, they usely come in most computers. As for the 5.1, I couldn't live without it. How big of hard- drive do you think would be needed? I have A 250 gb drive in my PC, but I bet Not even 25 gb, if that much,  is tooken up by games. One of the ways I saved money on my PC is by going cheep on those things I really didn't need that much if at all, like the vidio card.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-12 10:00:52

Actually, you don't need to close Hal at all when running games or anything else, merely flick off the voice and or keys depending upon what you need.

when I bought my new desktop (the one with the exploded motherboard), more ram and a better processer is really all it's got over my old one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-09-12 14:00:48

I know, the same is true with jaws. It's still taking up memory, wich most PCs  should have enough for both.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-13 20:02:45

Yes, sleep mode indeed under the config manager. Automatically cuts out the speech when you go into the specific program.

As to hard drive, an average person is probably fine with 80gb... more than fine. As I said in the future flashd rives are a strong possibility for this type of purpose, but unless we get some seriously heavy duty audio games I don't see anything above a standard IDE hard drive being much advantage beyond boot times.

The EAX (environmental audio extensions) system in Creative sound cards could be a possibility too, but I don't think that many mainstream games used it even so I don't see why audio games would really.

A lot of the grunt required in mainstream games was down to graphics traditionally, something we don't have to worry about.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.