2008-09-16 20:13:49

It would appear it makes recordings of your SAPI voice, meaning you've got fixed sound files for each entry. This does seem separate from the firmware ipod thing I heard about previously to give talking menus.

Personally I always thought ipods were awfully expensive just for an MP3 player. I know this sounds odd given what I said about the stream, but I would not have paid the price an ipod is just for MP3s when there are lower cost products and other products which can perform this function while still doing something else like a phone or PDA.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-17 09:29:15

Hi Cx2.

If you want a cheeper but very cool mp3 player, I'll highly recommend you to take a look on the Sandisk mp3 players. They are awesome. They are small, and most of them are pretty easy to navigate. You can put Rockbox on some of the models. I don't know what models. You can get a player which both have internal flash memory and a slot for sd cards. The Sandisk players does also have many cool features like advanced equalizer and radio.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-09-17 13:13:07

This is the reason that it isn't more accessable then the DS recorders then I take it. So the real question is how much of a problem is ITunes?. As for the audiobooks, I can usally get them at a reasonable amount of time after the book came out. As for autible, their list of books seen to reflect that of the bookstore when it comes down to audio books. The main books that I need to read is my daisy textbooks from RFBD books, wich I can usually borrow a player from colladge to listen to. There is a book I really want to read and I hope I can get it when it is released this weekend. In the US, there are sites like bookshare and web braille that are good about having books. Of corse the web braille site is free and bookshare cost $50 a year. Don't you just love copyrights?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-17 22:07:31

On the stream and coolness:
It really aggravates me when a product designed with the blind in mind goes for the telephone-style keypad layout. I understand that many blind people often have other disabilities related to motor functions etc etc, but come on... some creativity wouldn't hurt. The phone pad tells me that Humanware doesn't think we are capable of handling a new streamlined interface. Plus I personally remember functions better when they are tied to a specific button. I'd rather think of a function than a number, and the phone pad immediately brings up dialing. VI products in general have crabby non-intuitive layouts, which is why I support mainstream accessibility. I'll likely get a stream once I renew my RFB&D subscription (or if the windows mobiel version of the code factory daisy reader never materializes) but I will be no less disgruntled.

James

2008-09-17 22:55:23

I know how that is. As for the over pricing of the IPod, I would have to agree. as for the telephone keypad, why not something like the click wheel on the IPod, and or a joystick or two for navigation? I know the bookport also has a telephone keypad. One thing about the keypads on these products is that the keypads look so telephone like. Who you like to pick up the phone and hear it say, push 2 to read and 1 to go back? Ok the bookport doesn't do that, but you get one of these products you feel like you using a telephone instead of a reading or listening device.. looks so boring. So someone needs to come out with a more creative design. I think one of the selling features of the IPod is the design and all the adds that surround it. I hope more accessibility are added to the mainstreem MP3 players.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-18 02:10:32

Yeah, but regarding the telephone keypads, I think it's a compatibility issue. Lets say your in my situation:

You've got a Wave, or a Classic+, or ClassicX or some Victor product. And you're looking into the Stream. In all Victor series, 2 and 8 act as nav selection keys and 4 and 6 act as jumpers, in a sense. Now lets say the Stream had a button dedicated to a function, i.e. level 1, level2, go to page.

AAwwww, what happened to 2 and 8...
Gone!

That's why I think they've got telephone keypads, same with BookPort, I have a BookPort and like it, but I can't imagine it without a telephone keypad. What, a dedicated read button? Is it just me, or would that make something bulky?

Another feature that, I hope, they add in the Stream:

Well, since it does have a telephone keypad, and since phones have keypads, I think they should add text notes. For those who own or know about the braille input on BookPort it's the same idea, except that they use for example, 2 for a b and c, instead of braille keys, since you cannot do that with the stream. Crazy idea, but that would be kind of cool.

2008-09-18 09:47:42

What's a ds recorder?
I think the design on the Victor stream is pretty cool. A telephone keypad is easy to navigate, but it doesn't look so cool as the Ipods, and a sighted person would never understand how to navigate the machine. therefore, i like to use products which are not made specially to blind people. I like products which are accessible to all. Victor stream is of course accessible to sighted people because they can hear what's going on, but they can't see what's going on when they press a button. Ipods which are accessible to all have a display so sighted people can see what's going on, you can get large text on the display so visually impaired who have some sight can read the display, and they now supports audiofiles with speech, which makes the device accessible to blind people.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2008-09-18 12:46:58

It's a surton line of recorders that olympus makes. There is the ds30, ds40, and ds50. The main thing that folks seem to like about it is the voice guided menus and maybe the stario recordings. If you want me to, I can post a link leading to more info. Just gotta google it again. I have the DS30 and I can tell you that it is very user friendly. I'm hoping that the access is the same on the new nano. Be just my luck that I will have to have someone set the clock on it. On the DS30, I can just plug it in to the PC and let the PC set the time and date. Let's see, how much money do I have to throw away? Ah, not much at this sec. Guess that new nano or that daisy player will have to weight just a little longer.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-18 16:29:41

Ah. I have tried one of the Olympus players. I forgot they are called ds recorders. They are great. I think they are best as a recording device.

Best regards SLJ.

2008-09-18 19:27:42

Have to agree there. I use mine to record my colladge classes. quite useful.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-23 11:16:29

Well the numbers would be handy for jumping to specific pages.

CW:
As I said if you look closer then a lot of books just aren't available in audio at all, and some of these are available through the RNIB here in Britain at least. And as I stated, and I'll repeat, I cannot use the books on audible.com because they have a separate list for each country and sites like bookshare.org just do not operate to the best of my knowledge in Britain at anything more than a fairly basic level. Yes you can get a type of membership, but they need permission from the publisher to distribute the books outside the US which severely limits the available choice. Thus for me daisy books are quite important.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-24 02:56:05 (edited by andy smith 2008-09-24 02:58:45)

I like DAISY books because on my Wave i just push go to page then, for example, 304, or, "find the section labeled, bla bla bla", which is of course available via the headings 1-6.

EDIT: Speaking of headings, DAISY seems to resemble HTML, for example, the <h1> tag, etc. I wonder if there are HTML documents on a CD or XML documents or something because a lot of converters seem to be able to take HTML and make a DAISY doc out of it which is why I'm wondering about that.

2008-09-24 12:48:21

From some I saw, I saw XMl and HTML on the disk. Hmmmmm. That last I went shopping for a book, wich was few months ago, I thought I saw more of a selection on tape then CD. Bet that changed. There's a book i'm thinking about picking up tomorrow. it better be on disk. I may be mistaking, but aint people picking up some of these books to listen to in there cars?

DropBox Referral

2008-09-24 17:55:21

Yeah, but the RNIB here in the UK did some numbers and they found only a small percentage, can't remember the exact number, actually appear in "alternative formats". This is both audio books as well as large print, braille, etc.

Also a CD audio book is

cx2
-----

2008-09-24 20:29:27

Just so ya know today on ACB radio main menu a review of the new Ipod was aired. while on t and t consultancys podcast there is a review of the I-tell.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2008-09-24 21:52:34

LOL. I don't go book shopping alot, but most of what I wanted could be found somewhere some how. As for the doom ones, I haven't read it. I not saying that it would be easy either... I'll look when I get the chance. As for the page number of the daisy books, that is handy. As for the ACB, I'll go look. Thinking about download the ITell one too. Gotta go point the PC that I call a siber-space-ship to the needed sites.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-25 16:22:12

Small point, that is Dune D U N E not Doom. Curse the US eloquence for that. A little novel by someone called Frank Herbert that most geeks should have heard of, or else they're not proper geeks if they haven't at least heard of it.

cx2
-----

2008-09-25 18:10:40

What's it about? Heard that name passed around the forms some and I heard some people say something about it. Guess I'm not a proper geek then. lol.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-25 19:15:31

Well maybe you're just a little young. It's far future sci fi, but it focuses on people and organisations not technology and ships. Dune, an alternative name for the planet Arrakis, is the one planet where the spice melange grows. This substance is harvested, and allows the spacing guild to move their ships around from one position in space to another by folding space with their minds as well as allowing the sisterhood called the Bene Gesserit to see the future. It's also the home of a people called the Fre'men who live out in the deep deserts, for Dune has little or no plant life and has no rain.

Until recently the barbaric House Harkonnen had been harvesting spice under contract from the emperor, but the emperor switches the contract to the noble House Atreides and conspires with the Harkonnen to launch a surprise attack on the Atreides as he fears that Duke Leto Atreides might be growing popular enough to challenge his power among the other nobles.

It's something of an epic. Very deep, but if you've got the patience... which I didn't have as a teen I must admit... it is incredibly good. The old movie from the 80's was particularly good at least. There was just something about those huge sandworms.

cx2
-----

2008-09-25 21:17:26 (edited by cw 2008-09-25 22:51:08)

LOL. I was born in the 80s And Gore in office was like a dream, all most. In short, I could care less at the time, but that does sound like my kind of book. Now I'm in my twentys. I will have a good look at the new nano this evening and tell yall what I think ofApple's good looks, along with pricing. That's if yall want the info. I also will have a new book to send over to it to test out ITunes.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-25 21:32:37

Hmm, the term "tweens" has been applied in Britain to those just under teenage before so that's weird. That said I'm 24 myself.

cx2
-----

2008-09-25 22:48:26

Sorry miss type. I was affering to the term they used in lord of the rings. That a big oops. LOL.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-26 22:23:28

Yeah I noticed, just seems amusing.

cx2
-----

2008-10-06 00:09:43

I have a 16 gig nano and I love it.

When I heard about the Nanos I just had to have it. LOL

I was using my PM Omni to play all my music, but I got tired of how it would randomly stop playing music for no apparent reason, and my WiFi stopped working. Plus it's not the smallest thing for playing mp3's. So I mostly just use my new laptop for everything minus music that I used the PM for.

I have never seen a Victor Stream, so I don'tknow how that would compare. True that it might be a good idea for people that want a single device. I'veheard though that the quality for music isn't very good. That kind of makes sene since it is designed as a book player.

I also love recrding college stuff with my DS-40. It is great for that, but it is terrible as an mp3 player. It obviously doesn't speak the names of your music, but that's probably not a big deal. There's also no shuffle mode, and to me the sound quality for music is horrible. It's pretty good for recordings, but even then if I play a recording back on thePM, it just sounds a bit clearer.

Yes, the nano does use iTunes to generate voice clips of your files, similar to Rockbox. But the way the Nano does it blows Rockbox out of the water, or at least since the last time I used rockbox. It is very responsive even if you skip through a bunch of items real fast.

I dont' think it's for everyone though since the click wheel is super sensitive. Sometimes I find myself scrolling too far in a menu, or worse yet turning the volume up really high. The speech volume is directly tied to how loud the song is, so if you're listening to a song at a low volume, be ready to pay extra attention so you know where you are at.

2008-10-06 00:21:09

continued...

There is one huge minus about the new Nano though and that is cover flow. The Nano has an accelerometer in it, which makes it able to detect how you are holding it. If you are holding it vertically, you can control the iPod just fine. However, when you flip it sideways the voice will say "cover flow", and you can no longer do things like adjust the volume until you get it back into vertical orientation. The annoying thing is that it is really sensitive, so sometimes you'll go into cover flow when you don't want to be. I've even had a few times when the voice didn't tell me the orientation had changed, so I wondered why I couldn't adjust anything. For whatever reason, Apple did not put in a way to turn the accelerometer off, which annoys even sighted people.

To each his own, but I like the fact that the iPod uses a media library. That was precisely the reason I ditched Rockbox on my old iPod, because you couldn't do that. IMO, browsing folders just doesn't do it for music.