2008-09-11 20:57:35

I heard that that the newest version of the nano had speech access, as in that they talk. So I was wondering if anyone pick one up sence the newest ones has been releest  this pass tuesday? Least way I believe it was this pass tuesday. If someone picked one up, could they do a review on blind cool tech or on here? I have the therd gen of the nano. Hmmm. I wonder if my mom would want a nano. maybe I will try to pass this one off to her so that I could get the forth gen nano or maybe I will loose it.. Even better idea, do more research. Just because I have the nano, doesn't mean that I buy music from the apple store. Hate DRM on my music. much rather buy it on CD.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-11 21:26:27

Personally I think the Victor Reader Stream is a better bet, but this could just be me. Completely accessible, uses an SD card which is quite convenient, and you can play daisy talking books from your favourite/local source. You can also put text or HTML files in it to read with the synthesiser, so in theory you could find text fiction on the internet and play it back on it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-11 22:29:28

Hmmm. Good point.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-11 22:51:17

the bictor stream you say?
how is that related to the victor book reader, or is it at all?

Connor

2008-09-11 22:58:45

It is one of the Victor series of daisy players indeed. It's the current model with an SD card slot, instead of the clamshell CD based design. It can act as a perfectly good MP3 player, and has a RealSpeak synth built in for reading both titles and txt or HTML files.

If you don't use DRM there is no real disadvantage except perhaps cost or it being bulkier, though personally if you plan to join or re a member of a talking book service which uses the daisy format it is probably less expensive and easier to use a single device.

The SD slot also means it can handle up to 8GB, and using a card reader is a lot faster than transferring files by USB wire straight to the device.

Oh, and it can record too. I haven't tried this out though.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-11 23:29:28 (edited by andy smith 2008-09-11 23:35:04)

I would kill to have one of those. I mean, no complaints about my victor wave, but... Ok. Fine. A complaint about the wave. It takes ages to read a cd. Like, 2 minutes. From what I've heard about the Stream, it's 1,2,3, and it's up. Also, according to what I've read RFBD books work on the Stream, so, to heck with cd's! In fact, from what I've heard and read, you copy the CD to a folder, or something, on the sd card, and you can ship the cd back; there's no need to worry about losing those stupid packing envelopes that RFBD's got, plus it can record. CX2, from what it looks like, you have one, so can you tell me what the recording quality is like once you get to try it--assuming you get a chance and that you do, indeed, have a stream. Also, how is the speech synthesizer(s) on the device, and does anyone know if it can read Spanish texts?

2008-09-11 23:49:53

How much is the victor? I gotta go check this device. With the current Ipod that I have, I can transfer stuff over within reasonable time using winamp. Of corse apple wants you to use ITunes. The reason why it might take longer to transfer stuff to the device over usb instead of to a SD cardreader over USB might be do to the fact that they want every thing to be in the IPod's library once it's transfered over. TO me, Adding stuff to the data base of a player as it as be transfer to the player only slows things down. I don't see why they can't have an directery view instead of the current view. If you want the music in the library of the player once it's on the player, then you should beable to tell the player to scan for new content instead of adding it to the library as it's transfered over. OK, fit over

DropBox Referral

2008-09-12 03:14:29

379dollars, I think.

2008-09-12 03:22:52

Hmmm. The new IPod on the other hand is around $150. Guess I really gotta think twice. I probibly won't be playing dasy books and I can read most of what I want to on the PM. Wish they would come down on the price of these toys.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-12 06:51:12

I do have a stream, but I don't really have a use for recording. I also insanely hate my voice. The synth seems to be only English for the version sold in the UK, only one voice. As I said it's probably more expensive than a pure MP3 device, but I plan to join the RNIB talking book library here in Britain thus I get the benefits of both in one device. It was either that or pay an extra fee to the RNIB for "rental" of a basic player, which would most likely be a CD based daisy player and frankly I don't want to be carrying the bulk and dislike rentals. The SD card also means you can fit several books, rather than just one per CD.

Regarding the transfer speed, this isn't unique to the stream. I've found the same thing with Pac Mate QX and with smartphone, it's quicker to use a USB card reader than to send it through to the device itself via USB. No idea why at all, but when I say faster I mean a lot faster. Minutes as opposed to nearly an hour in some cases in the past.

cx2
-----

2008-09-12 14:46:53

LOL. I noticed that with the PM. Thought withthe PM, it was probibly do to the processer in the PM, where as the cardreader doesn't really have one. I could be wrong thow. That is a good reason for going with the streem. I wonder rather or not, the streem does some kind of processing stuff while going over the USB?

DropBox Referral

2008-09-13 04:13:25

Ya know cw, that's a good point. Perhaps it does. I think, and if I'm wrong CX2 correct me, but I was told that the VRStream software does the syncing into the folders ny itself. for example if you select a text file it'll put it in the right folder, etc. I am probably wrong, but that's what I've heard.

CX2, I hate my voice too, don't worry. LOL!

CW if you're in the U.S. and are a part of the NLS thing the Stream does indeed support NLS Pilot, which I don't really need since my BraillePlus can do it. However, the BraillePlus frequently studders, or if anyones ever experienced buffering over the internet that's sort of the effect the BraillePlus has with those NLS books,---so, I might look into a Stream.

2008-09-13 15:25:21

LOL. I'm not a part of the NLS pilot and really don't need that feature at this time. I'm back on dial-up for the time being. So that means no uploading or downloading of audio unless I want to have some time wasted. I was crazy enough to take my desktop down to my grandfolks just so I could have broadband on it. Now I got it back home, and of corse it's back on a shared dialup connection, wich means that if someone desides to download then my part of the connection is as slow, if not slower, as quick sand going through a hoze. I really don't care what device I play my music on, just as long as I don't have drm on it and have reasonable access to it. OK, I and my family sometimes push things to the limit and got good at it. So I really don't know wich I will go with. probably with nothing do to the price of transpertation among other things going up. All of the exter features do sound nice, but I question the price. I looked over on their site you weren't far off andy. I forget the exzack price though at this time.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-13 18:27:59

Hi, it is exactly $329. Just checked.

2008-09-13 19:48:34

Well here in Britain it is just shy of

cx2
-----

2008-09-13 23:34:42

Hmmm. Then Again I could get FSReader for the PM for the dasy part. The truth is, I don't know when I would need to access dasy books, so I really have to think twice before throghing down the money. Weight a minit, my PM does ok with MP3s, but it is kind of bulky.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-14 01:13:10

Well as I said I wanted to be able to play daisy books, more for fiction than for "needing" to. It all depends on the individual.

cx2
-----

2008-09-14 02:30:29

LOL. Wish the ITouch was accessible. Talking about lots of space in a cool looking device. Maybe someone could create the cool factor for the VI community. Wish I had alot of money to play with, because if I did, I would fill my office space at the house with all kinds of cool electronic toys to play with. So you like fiction ey? I usely like to get my books for the bookstore in audio book form if I can find it, but the major problem is that they are usely $50 a pop. Hey, I can play them on any CD player without DRM though.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-14 13:24:39

jeese! it looks like that the milestone 311 has a competitor: I have one of these, mp3, daisy playerm, and recorder, but guess what? it only goes up to 2 gig sd cards. Perhaps the victor would have been a better choice, but i think it's too late. I odn't think my parents will let m swap as i've only had the milestone for about a year. Blimy! time's flown by!

2008-09-15 14:30:14

I'll purchase the new Ipod Nano instead of the Victor stream for the following reasons:
1: The Ipod looks cooler
2: The new model comes with 16 gb internal memory
3: you have a lot of cool features like eq, the player switch to a random playback mode if you shake the device, and you can make your own playlists on the device.
4: It have a battery life of 24 hours of music playback, and up to 5 hours while watching movies.
5: It's much cheeper than the victor Stream.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-09-15 20:10:24

Hmmm. I don't watch movies on mine nano therd gen because I much rather put music on it. Anyway, if and when I get the fourth gen nano, it might be do to the price among other things. My main question is how much more is accessible in the newer one then the older one? I do like the cool factor, but I don't know...

DropBox Referral

2008-09-16 12:50:39

what do you mean by saying accessible? For me, it's totally accessible. you have speech in playlists and all the menus. If you didn't had speech, I'll say it's pretty accessible too because the scroll wreal makes click sounds when scrolling through the menus and songs. the menus doesn't rap around which means when you've reached the bottom, it doesn't go to the top again if you continue to scroll down. This makes us able to count the menu items which I find pretty accessible. If you for example know the settings menu is 3 clicks from the top of the main menu, well, you just have to scroll 3 clicks down and then press in the middle to enter the menu.
I don't have an Ipod yet. I've tried one of the first Ipods for 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't find it accessible, because I didn't know the menus doesn't raps around. I haven't tried one of the newer Ipods, because I don't know someone who owns one. After the new Ipod has been released, I can't wait to try it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-09-16 19:07:08

From the stuff I read on the web, there is a few things that isn't accessible. I think they are the clock and calendar, but on the other hand, it seemss as accessible as the DS recorders acept that those wrap. I'll try to get one and do a review if someone doesn't do one first. People need to know how well the blind can use it.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-16 19:07:40

Small note, the talking book libraries often have books that aren't available in conventional audio book formats such as CD in shops. They tend to record them themselves under legislation which gives copyright exemptions for this purpose. While I have enjoyed CD based audio books I really want to be able to get at as many other books as I can, this is the reason why I got a daisy player. For example it seems difficult in the extreme to get Dune on audio book except via the RNIB, at least in the UK.

I know there is audible.com, but the lists of books available in the UK is entirely different to the lists in the US for copyright reasons. The books available through bookshare also seem highly limited from outside the US for similar reasons.

cx2
-----

2008-09-16 19:52:35

guys, I just went to
apple accessibility
and it seems that.
to use the cool talking menus you need to get ITunes, since it creates the tts files using your sapi voice.
so, To make any use outof that Itunes is required, Itunes 8 to be specific.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>