2018-06-29 00:30:15 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2020-03-25 09:45:23)

Hi everyone,

As many will know, Yamaha manufactured five sound generator LSIs that were (or are) present in cell phones.
MA-1, MA-2, MA-3, MA-5 and MA-7.

Each of these chips has a limited polyphony, of 4 notes up to 128 notes and with different features. FM, PCM, etc.

In this post I will list each of the sound generators, along their respective features.

MA-1 (YMU757B-Q)

The YMU757B-Q, was the first sound generator LSI compatible with SMAF that was released by Yamaha.

The built-in FM sound generator of the YMU757B-Q (in this case, the MA-1) can generate 128 different tones (the 128 instruments specified by the standard General MIDI). It produces a high sound quality, and there are no limitations on the tones that can be created, the MA-1 can be used to generate a variety of different sounds.
The MA-1 has 4 polyphony notes. This function can be used to create 4-note harmonies or to play notes with 4 different timbres.

MA-2 (YMU759B-Q)/MA-2L (YMU759C-QZ)

The YMU759B-Q was the second sound generator LSI compatible with SMAF that was released by Yamaha. In addition to incorporating all the features of the MA-1, it also includes a number of new features that expand the possibilities of creating content for mobile phones and other portable devices.

In addition to its built-in FM sound generator, the MA-2 also incorporates an ADPCM sound generator that allows the playback of natural sounds recorded digitally, such as human voices. As a result, it is possible to create content that combines a person's voice and image. In addition, the MA-2 can accurately synchronize the compressed audio of his ADPCM sound generator with functions that use the FM sound generator. This function can be used to provide an accompaniment chorus for a melody.

The MA-2 offers a standard library of 256 instruments (including the 128 instruments specified by the standard General MIDI) and an unlimited range of voices. MA-2 has 16 polyphony notes. This function can be used to create 16-note harmonies or to play notes with 16 different timbres.

MA-3 (YMU762-Q)/MA-3L (YMU762-CZ)

The YMU762-Q is the third sound generator LSI compatible with SMAF that was released by Yamaha. In addition to incorporating all the features of the MA-2, it has several enhanced features that further expand the possibilities of creating mobile content.
In addition to its built-in FM sound generator, the MA-3 also incorporates an ADPCM sound generator that allows the reproduction of natural sounds recorded digitally, such as human voices. As a result, it is possible to create content that combines a person's voice and image. In addition, the MA-3 can accurately synchronize compressed audio from his ADPCM sound generator with performances that use the FM sound generator. This function can be used to provide an accompaniment chorus for a melody.

And a new feature of the MA-3 is that it incorporates a waveform table synthesizer that generates 8 instruments/voices simultaneously.
The waveform data can be downloaded from ROM or RAM. Since the waveforms can be adjusted arbitrarily for FM operation, the range of tones that can be generated is much higher than in conventional devices.

The MA-3 adopts a system of hybrid stereophonic synthesizers that allows the simultaneous generation of up to 40 tones: 32 FM + eight waveform tones. This function can be used to create 40-note harmonies or to play notes with 40 different timbres. In addition, the MA-3 offers a standard library of 256 instruments (including the 128 instruments specified by the standard General MIDI) and an unlimited range of voices.

MA-5 (YMU765)/MA-5S (YMU769)

MA-5 is a versatile hybrid sound chip that combines five types of sound generator systems. FM, WaveTable, PCM, AL (Analog Lite) and HV (Humanoid Voice). It is capable of playing up to 64 notes of polyphony, which enriches the sound and improves the expression of the effect and the stereo feeling. The MA - 5 is an LSI that is optimal as an output device for sound handled by mobile phone terminals, such as advanced game sounds and high - quality incoming melodies (ring tones).

The AL (Analog Lite) synthesizer is newly compatible with MA-5. The analog synthesizer is widely known in DTM (DeskTop Music). MA-5 equips the fundamental function of that analog synthesizer. Using a low pass filter time variant, it allows voice changes that can not be made by the sound chip of the previous generation. These effects are common in genres of electronic music and popular music such as Pops, Hip-Hop and Techno.

On the other hand, the Wavetable synthesizer can download and use any ADPCM / PCM in addition to the tone generation built into ROM.

Another remarkable feature is the sound generator that tries to simulate the human voice.

HV

HV (Humanoid Voice) is a speech synthesis sound generator that simulates human voice. You can handle sounds simulating human voice as sound effects in the game or as instruments sounds in SMAF. The HV sound generator method can be used to express sounds by specifying text data and accent marks, so it is suitable for mobile phones with data size limitations. Human voice is vocalized by the vibration of the vocal cords and uttered by adding resonance depending on how the mouth is open and the shape of the throat, but in the HV sound generator, the frequency spectrum of the voice is re-synthesized and enables playback of voice tone.

Introduction to MA-7

With the development of multimedia in mobile phones, in the future not only ringtones will be streamed, but also applications such as music distribution, video distribution, radio reception, analogue and digital television transmissions and "sound" to be handled in mobile phones. It iss in the direction of diversification.
Backed by these trends, Yamaha has developed the "MA-7 (Yamaha AudioEngineTM)" series as a high-quality, high-performance audio processor for freely processing and playing back these sounds.

YMU786 (MA-7)

YMU786 is the audio LSI which is the base of AudioEngineTM series. Audio processor and analog block such as mixer, headphone amplifier, speaker amplifier, etc. are integrated on one chip.

Features of the MA-7
  • An advanced hybrid synthesizer
    Based on the established FM sound generator and proven as the best method for mobile phones, the hybrid synthesizer combines various types of sound generators such as Wavetable, StreamPCM and Analog Lite sound generators.
    Not only ringtones, you can play rich sounds with game sound effects and background music. The maximum polyphony number is 128 notes. It supports SMF and other standard formats as well as Yamaha's proposed distribution format "SMAF".

• Simultaneous playback of multiple sequences
    Up to four MIDI-based sequences, plus a total of eight sequences of four digital audio systems, can all be played simultaneously. The expressive power of game sound has dramatically increased compared to the conventional product. By switching the playback mode, you can also play SMAF and audio simultaneously. It also supports a mode that generates MIDI commands in real time, which is ideal for music games, and music games can be easily realized on mobile phones.

• Multifunctional effector
    Provides versatile effect processing using two independent effects modules. The effects included with the Reverb, Delay, Echo, Chorus, Phaser, and other middle-class electronic instruments are standard.
    For example, "Reverb" allows you to change the overall sound effect (atmosphere) at the moment you enter the tunnel while playing a racing game. In addition, you can use the pitch change to realize a voice change function and express the Doppler effect. The multifunctional effector can customize various parameters freely, and can also make an original effector. The use of multifunctional effectors has dramatically improved the quality of SMAF sound applied to ringtones and game sound effects.

• 3d positioning processor
    You can localice a virtual sound source at any point in the hemisphere that is placed around the head. For example, it is possible to synthesize a rich immersive game sound, such as moving the airplane and the helicopter to the left and right and back and forth, and running the four racing cars freely while flowing the background music by placing a virtual speaker on the left and right. If you embed coordinate points and travel time information as 3d commands in "SMAF", you can add 3d localization effects to the ring tone content.

MA-7's virtual MIDI driver

The MA-7's Authoring Tool includes a MIDI driver which connects to the MIDI ports opened by the "ATS-MA7" and "MCP-MA7" tools. The devices are called "YAMAHA Virtual MIDI Device 0" and "YAMAHA Virtual MIDI Device 1". In 64-bit OSes you need to install loopMIDI and create two MIDI ports named as "YAMAHA Virtual MIDI Device 0" and "YAMAHA Virtual MIDI Device 1" when you open "ATS-MA7" or "MCP-MA7" for use with an external DAW or a MIDI sequencer that allows you to select the MIDI device.

Extra

There are some things that I have not yet understood, but there are probabilities that they are true. The LSIs have several versions or revisions, as you may realize, I mentioned MA-2L, MA-3L, MA-5S, even MA-7 has others versions such as MA-7D (YMU790), MA-7I (YMU791). I have not looked for more information about those, because anyway I will not find anything, unless they are datasheets that I will not understand.

External links

SMAF Global (archived on the Wayback Machine).
My post about SMAF format, sound generator LSI features and the base of this post. (In Spanish).

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2018-06-29 20:07:38

thanks for the information! do you think you could make a soundfont based on these chips? Midapmi was working on a ma7 soundfont months ago, but I didn't hear from him in about 5 months.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-06-29 21:44:12

I love the sound of these chips. You could get incredibly creative with them if you knew what you were doing, way more so than with just a wavetable midi synth.
Phone Tones has a lot of MMF ringtones now from various phones.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-06-29 23:58:32

I think he will not continue it. I told him about the MIDI driver to make the SoundFont creation easier, but I do not know yet.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-30 00:01:18 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-06-30 00:02:10)

I've collected various tools for SMAF and MFi. MFi is the SMAF equivalent format for NTT DoCoMo mobile phones.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-30 06:04:24

I personally love fm chips, if I could ever get them as a vst, or feed their audio into my DAW, and especially if I can figure out the control sequences and ROM data to specify I would fucking love it. Voice presets is okay, but I will never be satisfied until I can grab a preset and tweak the parameters of the waves accessibly until I can change the tone to exactly how I want it.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-10-13 11:55:42 (edited by Slender 2018-10-13 12:00:21)

I was able to recover all the MMF demos posted to the SMAF website by Yamaha. These demos, while most of the time are just about 30 seconds, demonstrate the capabilities of the LSIs very well. Also note that many of the MMFs cannot be played by MidRadio Player, and you must use MCP-MA7to play them, in one case a demo uses a reverb effect that was apparently part of the format. And please don't ask me what "GermanInThePotato" means. big_smile The demos are here.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2018-10-13 17:41:30

Speaking of this, anyone was able to use the SMAF sound tools? Share your experiences.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-10-13 18:39:44

may I have the tools you collected?

-id software, 1995

2018-10-13 18:54:31 (edited by Slender 2018-10-13 19:09:15)

The one tool I've used is MCP-MA7, and it is a bit awkward to use. Files have to be added to playlists for some reason, file>open opens m7l files, which are basically m3u files with a nonstandard extension. It also requires some object navigation to focus the playlist, it's not in the tab order, and it also requires a lot of object navigation to access some settings, such as looping, and other things such as the information bar which holds some MMF metadata. Not sure if that bodes well for the accessibility of the other tools smile. Dekyo-NEC2608, do you know of any MMFs that used the voice synthesizer in the MA5?

2018-10-16 02:05:42 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-10-16 02:09:03)

@ammericandad2005 You can download the SMAF/MFi tools in the archived website of SMAF Global.
@Slender Unfortunately i've not found any MMF ringtone that uses the HV voices. But there's an example in the authoring tool for the MA-5.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-10-16 02:16:23

Also, I've found a software called MML2MMF but it only works for MA-1 and MA-2, and for compiling files you must drag & drop the MML file to the program. That's tedious for me since I don't know how to drag & drop in any way using the mouse. Very sad.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-10-16 02:25:05

As a side note, the SMAF website is probably one of the most well archived sites I've seen in a while, every link I've tested works.

2018-10-16 02:57:44 (edited by Slender 2018-10-16 03:09:23)

Also, is ATS-MA5-SMAF the tool you're referring to? If so, I can't seem to find example MMFs in it.

2018-10-16 03:45:19 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-10-16 03:56:07)

Yep, is it. (IIRC) after you accept the license in the site there is a table with various files related to MA-5. The doc package, the installer and examples.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-10-16 04:41:56

Interestingly, Yamaha appears to have been a fan of SoftVoice. It's used in many of the samples.

2018-10-16 22:50:29 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-10-16 22:58:47)

HV example that I found a year ago.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-10-16 23:39:32

kinda disapointed that hv tool doesn't support english despite the fact they went through the trouble to translate HV tool.
Ah well, I guess we found the precurser to vocaloid.

-id software, 1995

2018-10-17 02:38:07

While it doesn't exactly support English, it apparently can be made to speak English by playing around with phonemes. Dave's tips for SMAF covers that. Interestingly the tool appears to be mostly text based, so in theory if you took the time to understand the format, you could probably get it to do quite a lot, and accessibly.

2018-10-17 05:57:08 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-10-17 07:46:23)

I can't understand his use. I have not read the SMAF tips.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU