2008-09-06 00:15:59

I'm thinking about trying out linnix, but I have a few questions. I would like to run in a VM, if I can some software that is accessible, or maybre run it off of thumb drive or CD. Is there any suggestions? I would like to know what of the following hardware can or will work with linnix. First I would list the hardware inside of my box (as far as I can remember) then I will list the kind of things I have connected on the outside. I have the following on the inside: A 250 GB WD hard-disk, one gb of ram, one of those rio-tech HD surround sound soundcards, one of those internal card readers that takes up a USB port on the mother board, an intell pentium 4 3 ghz processers, vidio card unknown, and mother board unknown. It's not that the PC don't know them, it's due to the fact that I forgot the exzack details on them. The following is what I have hooked in to the out side: A network cable, a XMPCR, a linksys W300n wireless adapter, a Xbox 360 controler, the wireless reciever to my keyboard an mouse, a cannon 8600, and sometimes mass storeage devices such as my thumb drives and DS30 recoarder. Does lenix support game controlers? If so, what types?
There isn't a PC like mine in stores, so I don't want to mess it up, but I want to try linix without removing xp.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-06 03:08:57

Try downloading the Ubuntu live CD, you can try booting it from the CD itself with speech enabled and check if the sound and any other critical devices work for you.

Small note, unless you have something very strange in the way of a connection hard drives don't require special support since they all use the same drivers for the interface. Also ram and processor are similarly not driver based.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-06 13:23:36

OK. Where can I download this CD? Is a 48x drive fast enough to run it?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-08 04:30:49

Hi:

You can also try running a distro of Linux under VMWare Server. VMWare server is pretty accessible and if you have enough ram, Ubuntu or another distro of Linux will run fine uder it. VMWare server is free and you can get it at
http://vmware.com
and to get Ubuntu you can go to
http://ubuntu.com
You need to download the live CD.
Hope this helps.

Game Man

2008-09-08 04:54:16

Thought only the VMWare player was free.

Just running the live disc is quick and easy.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-08 12:53:20

How do you enable speech after  it is downloaded it and put on disk.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-09 00:52:08

Hi:

There
are different versions of VMWare. Once you have the ISO image on the CD, you need to boot from the CD. Once the language screen comes up, you just hit enter to choose english then F5 to go to the accessibility menu. Now hit 3 and enter to select Orca. You can now you can run the live session by hitting enter
again or if you want to install Ubuntu, hit the down arrow once then enter and then in a little while, orca should come up speaking the first screen of the installer.

Game Man

2008-09-09 02:05:28

If I deside to install it on a VM, is there anything I should be aware of, like jfw not reading the menus of the VM software of choice? I guess if I ran it live from the cd, then i would be better off wouldn't I? I would like to do some exparementing sometime soon without messing up. Anyway I just took a listen to that dood setting up the OS and it hard to believe that a VI person could do that, but then again, I know you couldn't do that from windows.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-09 21:35:49

What's a vm?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-09-09 21:59:31

When I say VM, I mean virtual machine, like running windows from the desktop of a mac so that you don't have to reboot to get in to windows. It's where the OS of choice thinks that it is on a computer to it self, but it is really being ran with another OS. If I choose to run windows on a mac, I would get a piece of software that would act like a PC, and install windows in to this piece of software.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-10 00:49:39

Of course Vista is nobbled to try and detect this, to make you buy "ultimate" if you want to do this.

It also requires substantially more resources, since your computer is using software to try and pretend to be hardware. Your RAM will also have to cope with both operating systems at once, no small feat, as well as any open programs on both operating systems and the VM software itself.

If you just want to experiment use the instructions someone provided above, but by putting the CD in the drive instead. I honestly couldn't recommend using a virtual machine just to try it out unless your sound hardware is incompatible with linux or something like that. It's a non trivial exercise.

cx2
-----

2008-09-10 02:22:06

Ah yeh, wouldn't dream of doing this on vista. I have an XP box for my main machine. Wish I gone with a mac for my laptop, seeing that they now have bootcamp, but I bought my laptop before leperd came out. I'll try running it from the CD when ever I can find a Wifi area for long enough time and enough band with to get Ubuntu. The thing is, I want to try as many operating systems before my machines where out wich should be around five to eight years from now and who knows what will be out by then. I'm also tired of alot of Microsoft's licening crap. I'm not saying that they shouldn't get paid for their work, but when I buy something, I own it, no ifs ands or buts. Anyway, what drivers come as default with ubuntu? One of the main reasons why I'm thinking about linix is because it is free, and I like the idea of taking the screw driver to it if I so choose. I also heard about how much cleener the interface is. If firefox is anything to judge by, then I might like it. I have already took the screwdriver to firefox once or twice already. I enabled the pipelining of webpages and disabled the prefetching thing. I'm shure I will have more questions when I try it. Oh yeh, I heard that you will have to go out and get the laim incoder for the media player before playing mp3s. Is this true, and where do you get it?

DropBox Referral

2008-09-10 03:06:30

I meant Vista inside a VM is nobbled.

*cough* you never buy software as an individual, you always buy a license. Thus MS is no different, once you buy it you are still prone to all the T&Cs in the license. Apple aren't exactly perfect either, they just have a cleaner reputation with the general public. Better marketing on TV, better PR.

cx2
-----

2008-09-10 04:41:51

Hi:

In regards to the accessibility of VMWare Server, I find it quite accessible. The menus in the menu bar do read. You just have to access it by using Alt+F or Alt+E. The menu bar doesn't come up when you just hit alt. It's kind of strange. You can do most things with hot keys like control+N to launch a wizard that will help you create a new VM. Also, all the dialogues are completely accessible.

Game Man

2008-09-10 05:02:12

You just need an insane amount of memory on your system.

cx2
-----

2008-09-10 20:15:56

Runnig vista inside of a VM, lol, but I guess that's the only version of windows that you can buy. Seeing that I'm running the 32bit version of XP, I guess three gigs is the line. As for the mac on the lisens deal, they do appear cleaner. One of the reasons I am thinking about switching to linix is do to the fact that I want to deal with licenses as little as possable. I guess I'm the type that if I pay for something, I better own it and beable to hold it in some form or fashen. I wonder when I will be in range of a broadband connection, lol. Does linix come as a 64 bit OS? I'm asking do to the fact that I have a 64 bit processer in my computer. I know I can run a 32 os on my processer because that is what I'm doing. I guess i want an insain amount of memory if I switch.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-10 23:06:04

Hi:

Actually, two Gigs of RAM will be enough to run Ubuntu only needs about 300 to 400 MB to run it.

Game Man

2008-09-10 23:43:24

Small point again, even Linux (not Linix) has a license. It's just a lot more open, and as I said no software can ever be owned by you in such a de facto way unless you made it or you bought the rights which would be absurdly expensive.

Yes Linux comes in a 64 bit version, it beat Windows to this. The reason you can still run 32 bit stuff is that your processor uses the "extended" instruction set, which can run either 32 bit stuff and has the ability to handle 64 bit stuff tacked on the end. You don't get any advantage though unless you're using an actual 64 bit application too. There are also dedicated 64 bit instruction sets, but these are only really used by servers in special environments... or are if they're still around.

I also believe XP can handle up to 4gb, but I did hear performance actually suffers above 2gb due to a glitch. Not sure how accurate this is though.

cx2
-----

2008-09-10 23:44:58

LOL. right now I have one gig in my system. I went and grabbed some of the gnone manuals awile back read over some of the of what I got. Anyway, how useful is this desktop swicherr thing in linix? you know the thing where if you had a tun of stuff open and you wanted a clean slate without closing a window, you could switch to a different desktop, sortof. Also, what's up with all the drores in this OS?

DropBox Referral