2018-06-22 01:36:17

Hi all, I wanted to bring up this topic because I’m not sure if it was brought up before. But I have recently— within the past couple of weeks—gotten very interested and fascinated with the humanoid like robots that are being created today. The most Lifelike one is one called Sophia. You should look her up on YouTube. Let me know what you all think about humanoid robots? Let’s discuss.

2018-06-22 05:03:04

I think they are cool I just hope they don't try to kill all humanity some day.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2018-06-22 06:12:50

In terms of realism, Sophia is not much more realistic than your average chat bot. It may sound more advanced, but in most of the interviews, her answers were scripted in some way. I know this because I watched one where she was given no scripted answers, and what I heard wasn’t very impressive.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-06-22 07:28:22

can that thing walk about? i'm not sure it can. it sounded scary. but for the time being robots if you want to call them that are kind of being used for other things. tells you a lot about the human condition. go look up roxy your true companion.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-06-22 07:58:19

I doubt myself that humanoid robots will ever be a thing beyond a gym mic, standard automated production is all the better for the fat cat corporations, which is why so far experiments into humanoid robots haven't been too serious, .

Even if you could get an ai good enough to pass the turin test or at least have human like understanding of objects etc as Asimov speculated, I doubt they'd be produced since hay they don't make enough money for the powers that be, and I'm increasingly of the opinion that social change is only ever driven by the self interest of people in power.

Of course there is a nastier side to this which Sirbadger mentioned with the Roxy example (*I really wished I hadn't looked up what that was), which unfortunately will likely be the main use for humanoid robots, since hay the fat cats are good at profiting from any desire virtuous or not.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-22 13:30:59

Yes I do not know other robots than Sophia and that Roxie thing, but Sophia sounds verry interesting, if it can walk and help me going where ever I want and help me reading things like when buying something in a store and can have a decent conversation, I really want to have one like that, I am not sure if Sophia can do that, but I think yes.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-06-22 14:11:05

Helper robots would be awesome, though I doubt we'll get to that stage unless someone finds a way to make them profitable big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-22 15:20:40 (edited by Socheat 2018-06-22 15:21:32)

Hmm, I wonder, why that Sophia thingy knows that it's a special event for her? I think it probably scripting or something.

2018-06-22 15:51:02

that's exactly what I mean. I guess if we ever get robot butlers, they're going to stop working after a year so you have to buy a new one.

2018-06-22 15:59:51

I'd rather see robots built for utility than trying to humanize them.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-22 20:12:00

i'd love to have a conversation with one in person. I know there's siry and those apps but no, i mean an actual robot in person. I think those are very interesting and this has been a topick that called my atention when i was a small child big_smile

After years, i finally changed my signature! But i don't know what to say :D

2018-06-22 21:15:33

Designing robots to look like us is just plain silly. As amazing as it is, it's no secret that the human body is not the most efficient of designs, so why hinder a robots performance out of some egotistical need to make them look like us. To make them profitable, they need to be efficient, so scrap the "it looks like us" idea.

2018-06-23 07:03:25

I could see humanoid robots being used in  cases where the object was a psychological as well as a mechanical affect.

Look at the terminator, or imagine companies who used robots in public relations in the mistaken belief that people would respond to robots better than to a basic automated message. Then again companies already create humanoid robots, they just do it by paying people and destroying individuality big_smile.

2018-06-23 09:11:23

humanoid robots are less practical than anything we could probably accomplish with our forms of AI. If the robot apocalypse really happens, you probably won't have huge anthropomorphic mechs stomping through the streets of major cities murdering everyone. There's also the uncanny valley, where if something that isn't human looks too much like us, we're prone to distrust it.