2018-06-21 16:03:37

Does anyone know where I can find a talking digital multimeter?  I cannot seem to find anything anywhere anymore.  Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Its worth noting I live in the states.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-06-21 18:18:34

I don't know of any, but it would be fucking nice I can tell ya.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-21 19:14:17

You ain't lyin.  My grandfather used to have one once upon a time ago, but  yeah,   I would love to get my hands on it to go with my talking tape measure so I can do a lot more work, believe that.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-06-21 23:39:25

I'd want one that would do voltage and amps and AC and DC, autoranging, continuity and so forth.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-22 02:23:16

There's a few around at varying prices, even a few DIY solutions from hackerspaces. The cheapest ones i've found so far are one on blind bargains [here] for 39.95$, and another chinese model that speaks english [here] for 27.95$.

There are a couple others though, like one from AbleData [here] price unknown, another called VM10 from Micro Seven [here] also price unknown, and one from Special Needs Computers [here] for 1644.00$.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-06-22 20:21:11 (edited by Orko 2018-06-22 23:08:13)

The one on Blind Bargains says that it is no longer available.

The one from China only has the word voice in it's auction title, which could mean almost anything, there is no mention anywhere in the description that it talks.

The one listed on able data isn't portable, it runs on AC power.

I found a four year old listing of one on the NFB's web site in their Independence Market for $50 that sounded real nice, but it too is apparently no longer available.

It does seem that budget priced, battery powered, talking multimeters have gone the way of the dinosaurs, but I got lucky and found a brand new one with 10 functions for $86. Unfortunately, there was only one, and I bought it. There was no mention who made it or it's model number, so once I get it, I will find out all that and see if it is still being made and post what I learn here.

After doing some searching I found this about that meter on eBay, lacking anything else being available, it might be your best bet. I have to wonder though, what can you expect from a multimeter that costs less than $30?

NKTECH NK-51F is our company after years of research, constantly summed up the development of a full intelligent digital voice report form, according to the requirements of customers choose to use Chinese or English voice value, voice table for the user to bring great convenience, such as in the light of the dark situation, do not have to see the LCD display, only the reading is stable, it will automatically reporting.

DC 200mV, AC 2V file due to a very small magnetic field interference in the instrument there is data changes, so the end of the two files at the end of 20 words do not report the number of communication stalls, there are 5 words in the exchange of the base number is not reported value, other files the bit has a base word of 2 words that do not report the value, which is set to prevent interference, DC voltage, DC current, resistance file, after the initial measurement of the value.

Diode/buzzer, electric field sensor stall cancellation function. If the buzzer alarm, stop the voice value, that is, voice and beep at the same time have test points, can only choose buzzer such as DC 1000V, AC 750V, high current 10A alarm point, you can only choose buzzer alarm , while canceling the voice function.

NK-51F for the intelligent voice automatically reported value, beyond the traditional switch to pay attention to the trouble, the use of ordinary table pen to achieve the voice can be reported for the maintenance staff to provide a more convenient test, especially for light dark environment, accurate and timely give the value.

2000 is 3 1/2 automatic digital instrument, is a stable performance, high precision, high reliability, with battery-driven automatic digital multimeter, the instrument adopts 21mm high LCD display, clear reading.

Don't blame me for the awful English, I didn't do the translation, I just copied and pasted.

2018-06-23 02:42:22

Hey, why not build one with a Raspberry Pi? I tried it myself, and got pretty far. Unfortunately, I was missing a few parts. But someone posted a quick guide to building it with a Python script, some basic circuit elements, and as the speech output, you could redirect output to a software synth like eSpeak. Once you have that working, slap on a good-fitting case, hook things up to a bread board for ease of organization, and you got yourself a nice multimeter with voltage reading and such. I'm curious to see if someone can build it using an Arduino though. I haven't gotten comfortable enough with soldering to make concrete designs.

2018-06-23 04:35:03

What I've heard is that the company that produced the most widely available of these stopped making them a few years ago. sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-06-23 05:25:43 (edited by magurp244 2018-06-23 05:34:40)

The one on blind bargains is sold out yes, but theres another like it on the source site on the right panel thats still available for the same price [here], 10 function with 9v battery.

The chinese model I found sifting through a forum thread [here], theres an image that states it has "standard english pronounciation", and according to some of the users there it does speak english.

2018-06-23 14:22:30

That's irritating! That's the exact same one I found for $86! I'm going to refuse it when it gets here and get my money back.

2018-06-23 16:45:56 (edited by G-Rad 2018-06-23 16:46:28)

I bought two of them, because I spent years trying to find one, and so I didn't want to take the risk of not being able to find one again.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-06-23 17:56:38 (edited by Orko 2018-06-23 18:02:43)

That's an idea, but I will look at the one I ordered first, then decide if I want a spare of it. If it turns out to be junk, I won't want to have two of them.

Like that one on eBay, after reading about it both on the eBay listing and on other listings on the internet, it sounds like cheaply made junk to me.

2018-06-23 22:32:44 (edited by magurp244 2018-06-23 23:26:54)

Those kind of translation issues are common on Chinese products but that doesn't necessarily mean the products aren't good, just that english isn't their first language. China's kind of the worlds manufacturing hub, so a lot of products can be manufactured there much cheaper and in bulk than elsewhere, its one of the reasons companies including Apple like to outsource their manufacturing such as for the iPhone there. Another thing is that because of their, ahem, loose adherence to copyrights and patents you can often get manufacturer's selling off brand goods closer to cost with less markup than traditional outlets, and competition there can be quite fierce. This isn't to say you shouldn't check for quality though, but that could be said for any online marketplace you buy from.

Checking a few chinese oriented outlets like Alibaba and AliExpress i've found quite a few other talking Multimeters from a few sellers, such as this one [here] for 38.30$, another [here] is on sale for 20.23$, and another [here] for 48.93$. Theres no mention of what languages they speak specifically so you should contact them first to make sure, also watch out for shipping costs.

Theres also another one [here] direct from a manufacturer for 10.36$, but the minimum order is 1000 units, says it supports multiple languages but not specifically which ones.

Edit: Hmm, actually that chinese one on sale for 20$ looks exactly like the one from Blind Bargains thats still available...

2018-06-27 20:32:25 (edited by Orko 2018-06-27 21:10:46)

I just got the DMM I ordered from that blind bargains source that magurp244 noted. It seems to be a nice unit that feels like it's well made.

I still need to OCR the manual so I'll have a clue what I'm doing with it, but Open Book should make short work of that.

I think you guys that ordered the same one will like it.

LOL! The manual turned out to be a single piece of paper with printing on both sides, and English is not their first language. Unfortunately you will need sighted help to find out enough about it to use it. No surprise there.

Still, I'm happy with it.