2018-06-20 13:22:09 (edited by ryok 2018-06-20 13:44:17)

Hi all.
I'm trying to collect a list of games that are accessible on steam.
I want to create an up to date list on this thread in order for anyone who wants to download games on steam could look at this thread instead of posting the same question more than once.
I'll do my best to keep this list up to date. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to drop them here.
I thought of creating a list of games that are accessible on the pc in the beginning instead of focusing on steam as a whole. What do you guys think?
Should I just focus on steam? or Should i leave this thread opened for other pc platforms like the Microsoft store.
For now, I'll list the games that I know of that are accessible on steam. I'll edit the thread later on after I get a decision from you guys.

• mortal Kombat xl.

• injustice gods among us 1 and 2.

• street fighter V.

• Skullgirls.

2018-06-20 14:14:49

skulgirls is accessible out of the box

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-06-20 17:47:57

Black Ops 3

Killer Instinct, even though it's not on steam.

Many of the Naruto games.

2018-06-20 18:04:59

Hang on though, what are criteria for accessibility, black ops 3 is most definitely not accessible in my book. I think we need criteria laid out to make suggestions, because you might change that to playable, but that's rather subjective, I can't play black ops for sure, but I'm not saying others also cannot. SO I think we need some guidelines.

Code 7 and Skullgirls are the only games on Steam that I know of that actually use voicing. Code 7 uses Sapi and Skullgirls works with your screen reader.

MKX has very good audio and sound design which makes it a good choice. I could not get that same feeling with Injustice, the original, could never win fights no matter how much I tried, though only ever played with another person against them in MP. I haven't tried the second Injustice though. Oh, Way of the Passive Fist, if that's on steam, not sure if it is or not but I caught Liam streaming it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-20 18:19:03

And if you would list audio games that are on steam too, then you also have A Blind Legend and Grail to the Thief. Btw I think the games you've mentioned couldn't be classified as accessible, but rather playable, for being them not totally accessible in some stuff like menus, quick time events and so on. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-06-20 19:29:12

@Post 3: Killer Instinct is on steam.

You can add me on Steam.
Here is my Twitch profile page Follow me if you want.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
Kong!

2018-06-20 19:36:42 (edited by ross 2018-06-20 19:38:58)

@post 4

By that logic, you should take all of these games off the list except for Skull Girls, since the others don't have TTS menus. When I think of accessible, I think of being playable as interchangeable, weather they're semantically correct or not. With that being said, Black Ops 3 is certainly playable. And it's not subjective, it's objective. If one totally blind person can play a game, that means it's playable. Just because you or someone else can't or hasn't tried, it just means that you may not have the skill to play it like some other gamers.

2018-06-20 22:16:32

How on earth is black ops 3 playable? Mainstream fps games by their very nature are the complete opposite of playable.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-06-20 22:35:43

@7 I wasn't suggesting that it needs to use TTS or work with a screen reader, I was just suggesting that some guidelines or criteria be laid out for what is and is not accessible. What you are saying is elitist in thinking black ops is playable. Yeah, if you want to walk around in circles and die every 2 seconds, sure its playable. One thing that annoys me is the elitist attitude the so called super blind people have towards the rest of the community. Because they can ride a bike, weaving through people and obstacles using echolocation, they think the rest of us should be able to. Well, it doesn't work that way, people have a diverse range of skills and talents. I honestly hate this attitude, and its prevalent in the sighted world, especially among gamers. You can play and get kills and stuff? Good for you, I'm glad you can do that, but don't be condescending to the rest of us who will not be able to, its often more than just practice that makes up the dividing line.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-20 23:23:59 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2018-06-20 23:25:06)

@8 as ironcross32 says, different people are good at different things. There are blind gamers who play FPS games and black ops three in particular has some nice things in that help, from audio cue gear to being able to set your vertical sensitivity way down really low. Sure it could easily be more accessible than it is, but that doesn't mean that it is the complete opposite of playable.

2018-06-21 05:38:28 (edited by ross 2018-06-21 05:41:26)

@post 8

Visit my youtube channel. I've posted tutorials there.

@post 9

First off, I'm not being elitist. If a completely average blind person can play a game, then that means it's accessible. Everything else is entirely skill based from there on out. I and one other blind person are able to play Black Ops 3 with great success. He's even made a video where he's made it to round 28 solo. I only began playing a month ago and I made it to round 27 with a buddy of mine. The echolocation is a poor example because that is a physical ability. Even then, everyone, including sighted people can learn echolocation with enough practice, but I won't go into that. It just comes down to skill and how much time you're willing to learn the game. A game isn't accessible or not just because you don't believe it is or isn't based on what little you know about it. I literally have a tutorial on my Youtube channel on how to play the game. If you don't want to practice and put in the time to learn the game, then that's not my problem.

The reason why gamers like me, Raddlehead, TJ the blind gamer, etc, hardly come on audio games is because people expect these games to be handed to them on a silver platter, accessible and all. While that would be great, it's unfortunately not going to happen for  along time. So what do we do, we make tutorials to try to encourage other people on this forum to learn these games, and noone reads them. Then a few days later, a post pops up on how to play that very game. That's what frustrates me. I know I went on a little tangent, but it's been on my mind lately.

I'm completely happy to help out anyone who wants to learn how to play, but like I touched on before, you have to put in the time to learn. TJ the blind gamer makes Black Ops 3 look easy, but the reality is, I'm sure he's practiced for days and days, and I aspire to eventually play on the level he does. Carlos didn't become the best blind MK player just by picking up a controller and mashing buttons, I'm sure he's practiced for days and days.

2018-06-21 06:12:28 (edited by Ethin 2018-06-21 06:16:30)

I can definitely agree that post 8 is most definitely incorrect. We all go on and on about how game x and y isn't "playable" or "accessible". There's one huge problem though: the terms "playable" and "accessible" are subjective terms -- there's no absolutely correct definition! For example, if you look up accessible in the QSeek dictionary, you get "capable of being reached," "capable of being read with comprehension," "easily obtained," and "easy to get along with or talk to; friendly"; and if you look up "playable" in the QSeek dictionary you get "capable of or suitable for being played or played on." Look up those terms in the urban dictionary and you'll get many other definitions. But dictionary impreciseness is not the only problem here. The problem is that each person has their own idea of what is accessible and/or playable and what is and/or is not. Take me, for example: I'm not willing to immediately discard a game (I hate the term of mainstream game, because audio games are really just toys or experiments compared to games) on someone elses opinion on whether its "playable" or "accessible" or not; I'm willing to actually try it. And that's the huge problem with blind people and the gaming industry. The thing about the gaming industry is that there is no true opinion on a game. Someone might tell you that a game sucks ass, but you can't just take that at face value -- you actually need to try the game and formulate your own opinion. Never, ever take a gamers opinion of any game, no matter the game, at face value; actually try the game your curious about and make your own opinion. Share your opinions, yes; but don't expect anyone to take your opinion at face value. If you do that you'll never play any mainstream games at all, because every gamer will have a varying (and wildly different) opinion about gameg -- or even multiple games. So, really, this topic should not be about whether a game is "accessible" or "playable", as that is subjective; but should be on opinions on various games on Steam, because that's a much more apt and accurate title of this topic, because everything about a particular game in this topic is subjective and heavily opinionated. If I tell you that You'll pick up Halo very quickly, because Halo is awesome, you shouldn't just accept my opinion, but rather boot up your Xbox, download it, and try it for yourself. Have someone help you, but actually try it. If you don't do that, you most likely won't be a very good gamer, and will definitely be ridiculed and will be known as that guy who never actually tries anything.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-21 06:15:10

@12

You make a great point, and that's pretty much the vibe I've been getting from this community.

2018-06-21 06:19:02

@13, agreed. It seems like everyone wants "accessible games." Let's take your definition of accessible games in post eleven. You say that "a game is accessible if a blind person can completely play it." That, too, though, is subjective. My definition is almost opposite to yours: if I can play it enough to learn the game, I consider that playable -- accessibility is far less of a concern for me. And, honestly, I could care less. I'm willing to put up with the inaccessibility of something, because that's life. And life isn't fair. Accessibility isn't fair. You don't like it? Then you might as well, yihnow, cease to exist, cause that unfairness of accessibility is probably never going to go away. Ever.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-21 17:36:12

Hi all,

@ethin and @ross

i completely agree on your points of view. I mean, i became blind 10 years ago, and however i discovered there are cool audiogames around, i don't want to miss the games on the xbox or steam as well. But i don't expect them to be accessible, only playable. That's also why in my oppinion, a building, don't care wich one, should be navigatable, not specially designed for us. And people have different skills. I mean, i am better in programming then my good friend koma7.2, but she is better at sound designing then i am. And if you like to play black ops, and you are able to, then why not. I really am going to watch your video's ross. I am very curious, and probably will pick up the game myself too.

If we only want to play with "accessible" games, we miss out on various oppertunities. That's why i got back into console gaming 3 years ago.

Greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2018-06-21 17:54:09

@14

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Here's where my Philosophy minor is showing:

Premise 1: There are two completely normal blind people

Premise 2: One of them is able to play a game relitively independently.

Conclusion: Therefore the second blind person will be able to play that game.

Everything else comes down to skill.

Basically, I agree with you in that an accessible game, in my opinion, is one that is playable, not one that is specifically designed from the ground up for blind people.

@15

Feel free to hit me up on Twitter if you have any questions. I also stream frequently on Mixer, so you're always welcome to ask me questions there directly.

2018-06-21 18:57:35

@16, ah, I understand. That's similar to mine, IMO.

My Github

2018-06-21 19:29:56

Hi all.
This is an interesting discussion.
I'm wondering now if I should change the subject of the post to playable games instead of accessible games.
Also, I'm going to add more games to the list and The topic will be about games that are playable on the pc not just steam.

2018-06-21 19:36:46

I have and do play mainstream games, so I'm probably in the middle. I do not have the patience to take a month and learn a game though, to me, that is not enjoyable, its drudgery. So the people who are that level like MLG or e-sports level of players coming to the rest of us and saying we should be able to play a game that offers next to no information we can use, yeah that just doesn't work. It's more than putting in time, its trying to navigate with no material to work with, its trying to learn the menus, learn what items do, learn combos, learn how to aim and shoot, and on and on. If people want to do that, more power to them, and better still that they can reach a part where they enjoy the game now since they can play it. But to expect everyone to be able to do it, no.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-21 20:04:02

@19

First off, I never said you should play these sorts of games, merely that you are able. I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do, nor do I want to. Next to no information? Yeah, you're clearly not bias at all. You haven't even played the game and you say it has no information you can use. If you don't want to take the time to learn it, that's completely understandable, but don't assume that people who do play these sorts of games are acting elitist over anyone else. I don't expect you to play these games either lol. I'm just drawing the distinction between putting time into a game to learn it, versus magically being better at something than someone else like you seem to think.

2018-06-21 21:03:55

I may not have played Black ops, but I have played other FPS games and have nothing to show for it because there's nothing there I can work with. That's not biased, that's just how it is.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-21 21:23:08

@21, that's how it is for you, you mean. If you have nothing to show for it, fine. But that doesn't mean its drudgery or repetitiveness for everyone. Learning a game is nothing like learning an audio toy. Learning a game is taking the time to sit down and spend a few hours figuring a part of it out, and going back to that game over and over. Lots and lots of gamers do that, they have to. And, also, there are guides and walkthroughs available online if you know what to search for.

My Github

2018-06-21 21:36:35

I never said it was. Like I said, if people want to do that, all to the good. I'm mainly disagreeing with the point that all you have to do is put in time to get good at a game. If all I had to do was that to get good at stuff in my life, I'd be a master pianist, because I used to play 6 to 8 hours a day. I'd be able to play most mainstream games, etc. Well, I am a totally shit pianist, because its not just putting in the time, its natural talent, same with gaming, and I'm not great at most games.

that's another bit of elitism showing right there using words like audio toy, while some games, are just that, there are some quality titles out there, you all can't even acknowledge that fact. SO honestly, the people that want to act like anyone can play these types of games, yeah it just doesn't work. All people, not just blind people are diverse in their skill, honestly this type of attitude like everyone should do one thing one way pisses me off. Also, coming onto an audio games forum and acting like condescending dicks doesn't help either.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-21 22:14:26

@21

Well, at this point, I feel like it comes down to personal belief. For example, I believe that if you want to get good at something, you have to put as much time as necessary until you reach that point. That's okay if you don't believe that, but that's just what I believe. Also, we are not acting like condescending dicks. If you can't help but to get butthurt whenever someone doesn't agree with you, then I"m sorry. Honestly man, I've seen your posts on here and your mentions on Twitter. Instead of being so pessimistic saying that this isn't accessible or this annoys me, just try to give people the benefit of the doubt before you knock it without trying it.

2018-06-21 23:22:56

I don't mind if someone disagrees with me, that's fine, what I don't like is certain people that display the same kinds of attitudes as mainstream gamers just because they play those games.

Yes, I'm pessimistic, I have good reason to be, I am also a person who completely lacks faith, I need hard evidence to believe something. Also in the example of Bo3, I don't plan to buy a game I won't be able to play, now maybe if I could try it on another system or something, and if I just happened to find out I could play it, which there's like a 1% chance that is true, then I would buy it.

I have my concerns about games becoming too accessible, especially the online ones, I think it will get out of hand, and since this is taking off, and its progressive, and progressive is a hardcore liberal thing, it is going to go way overboard. Look at all their other schemes that have done so, wasting many tax payer dollars. With the hardcore mainstream blind players outspoken against accessibility, you all are fighting against something we've been trying to achieve for a long time.

No, I don't believe putting time into something will always make you good at it. Putting time into things you are already talented in, or that you show an aptitude for will make you better at those. I'm not trying to deny that people need to work to improve, I'm disagreeing with the fact that anyone can do anything if they just put time into it. Why doesn't everyone fix their own cars, repair their own computers, cook gourmet meals, become an entrepreneur,, and so forth? It's because people have a wide array of skills and talents. You will definitely gain some improvement, but if you don't have an aptitude for math, you will never be teaching college level algebra courses no matter how much you study. Part of that can be negated by working around the mental block you may have because if you are consistently not good at something, you probably won't like it, and forcing yourself to do something you don't like will never yield an optimal result. If you had a passion for mathematics though, and you were just learning, like someone who started algebra in high school and took to it like a duck to water, they would go above and beyond to read the books, maybe do the problems ahead of where that class is at. That person is going to learn more because they like it. But if you have a really bad short term memory, or bad coordination, those things will put a stop to you being able to play games, no matter how much you may want to.

End racism
End division
Become united