2018-06-17 22:13:57 (edited by elliott 2018-06-18 19:10:39)

Hi everybody.

I've been a huge fan of Crazy Party since discovering it several months ago and to that end, was wondering if people would be up for a Minigames tournament next Sunday at 7PM UTC. Here's the plan:

1. At 18:30, I launch the server - this gives everybody around 30 minutes to connect.

2. At 19:00, we start. To make things fair, I'm thinking of having three sets of Minigames in Quiet Mode and another three rounds in Competition Mode - both rounds will have Bonuses enabled and the Joker disabled. This is to make sure that it's fair for everybody - some players may not be as quick as others, but will have a chance to gain an equal number of points in Quiet Mode. The Joker will be disabled to ensure that everybody will end up playing the same game, and as a result give them an equal chance.

The only rule here will be that after 7 minutes (420 seconds) of waiting for a player to hit Enter, they will be kicked from the server. This is to make sure that we arn't waiting for everybody - I'm not a fan of kicking users at all, but also want to keep the gameplay as smooth as possible. 7 minutes is a long enough timeframe I think, but I am of course open to suggestions; this was initially changed from 60 seconds after a suggestion from several forum members.

Please let me know if you'd be interested in partaking. If we get enough players, I'll bump this topic once at 18:30 UTC on the evening as a small reminder. To find out what time we're due to start in your local timezone, go here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ … mp;p1=1440

Thanks.

2018-06-17 23:07:53 (edited by defender 2018-06-17 23:09:22)

Hell yeah I would be interested. But I'm worried that the server will crash with that many players... And are you going to wait that long every time? or just the first time. Because as long as people don't have time zone issues than I feel like waiting thirty minutes will only waste time, as your unlikely to get random non English speakers to wait that long, and that's about the only other type of player your likely to get.
Do you have a Twitter or something to help announce it? Otherwise I guess just updating the topic will have to do... Or better yet changing the topic name slash creating a new one when it's almost time.
Also, how solid is your internet, will you be using Ethernet plugged directly into a modem/modem router? Do you live in a country with reliable connections and power?

2018-06-18 12:04:01

I have an issue with the 60 second thing. while I'll attend, if it fits my GMT time zone for the hell of it, here's my issue. some of us are better at math than others. I think it's somewhat unfair if we're still doing the math, and randomly get kicked out, since you won't know if we delay, or if we're still doing it. that would probably trigger me, to say the least. same goes for things like rolling balls, even possibly the sticks game, master mind, etc, where time isn't the key.

2018-06-18 12:28:43

Nice idea I particularly like the idea of including quiet mode as I prefer that personally, though I doubt I'll be able to participate myself owing to lots of work at the second, plus I have not played many of the minigames seriously for a while and my last online game I got roundly hammered big_smile.

With the none time sensitive games I would suggest a specific time limit for each before booting, say seven minutes (ten seems too long), you start the timer when the game starts and give people a warning one minute before booting to check everyone has finished.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-18 18:38:49

Can you also make a tournament ad the somer vakantion?

Awesome, you made it to the end!
Hit h to go to the next post.

2018-06-18 19:12:30

Just to address a couple of concerns:

Internet/network capacity isn't an issue - we'll be absolutely fine.

Good point on the kick timings - I didn't consider games where we may be playing at different times. Now changed to 7 minutes as suggested.

@post #5 - Do you mean a tournament during the summer holidays? This is certainly possible if people would be up for it.

Thanks.

2018-06-18 23:09:15

I would be up for the tournament, except I have one condition. I believe that in these kinds of situations math games should be excluded from the mini games list.  The reason is simply some people have a natural gift for math, being able to obtain 100 or so points. This will give them a huge advantage should the randomizer decide to pick a Math Mini game.  You could make the same argument for all the other skills that are used to play mini games, such as fast reactions, being able to perceive things much faster than others, but it's still different with academic skills.  And besides, most of the games that require those skills have a limit on how much points you can get.  Take mastermind for example. I, for my life, cannot understand how the game works. Yet, I will still play it, because it has a limit on how much you can score.  Or bonus deposit. I will still play it, and I won't be upset if someone gets a higher score than me. This is because the Playing field is 99% the same, which cannot be said for academic skills.

2018-06-18 23:28:29

I'm afraid I disagree with you about the maths games there amicranian, as you said some people have faster or slower reactions, or are more or less good with spacial maps, or have better or worse pitch, and its not as if you can't practice your maths just as you can the other skills if you want to get better.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-19 22:03:42

Unfortunately, we won't have the option of excluding any types of Minigames; I haven't yet unlocked the custom settings. In addition, I would be against this; everybody has different skill sets, so making the choice of games completely random gives everybody a fair chance to do their best.

2018-06-20 18:33:23

Oh yeah, this does sound like fun.
I'd love to join in.
could you give us the actual date please? On your original post, it simply says next Sunday.
Is that this upcoming Sunday, the 24th? Just making sure.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2018-06-20 19:05:19

The more people we have the better. smile You're right - this will be on the 24th.

2018-06-20 23:01:39

Should be there too. I didn't play minigames in ages so will probably suck, but hey we can have some fun and give people more gems at the end smile

2018-06-21 00:48:29

How many games do you have unlocked anyway? Their are 183 total...
If you don't mind cheating than I can give you my save file so that you have game lists unlocked, I have all but 6 games and others have them all and may be willing to share as well, it's less complicated than using cheat engine, and this way you can remove the incredibly annoying ones that basically everyone hates, or create themes.
7 minute kick time sounds painful. you should just simply add additional time for math and strategy games, and just keep in mind the time given for all others and add like 60 seconds on that for reading instructions and getting a drink or what ever.
Just check time when entering the game with T, usually it's between 1 and 3 minutes.
A general kick time doesn't really work for this kind of thing IMO, but I guess if you want to make it easy than 4 mins is your best bet, though personally I'm not willing to wait that long every turn, and with that many people, someone will inevitably not get the memo every time, and talking to them on chat won't work if they don't speak a language that someone else is speaking or have muted the messages.
Maybe I'm being too harsh? I guess part of it is that I've unlocked everything now, so I'm not willing to block out 45 minutes for 1 10 round game, even if their are 30 people playing, because the reward doesn't matter to me any more. When I was trying to unlock things though I would have done that if I had the free time.

2018-06-22 21:35:58

well if we're talking math games or other games that aren't time based, that's not really how this works. Once the game is selected, people can start whenever they want. However, the scores won't be announced and you can't continue until everyone has finished playing, so that's not really a problem.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-06-24 20:26:46

Thanks for your interest, everybody. I have 164 Minigames unlocked - Defender, thank you for the offer but I'd prefer to enjoy the challenge of unlocking these myself. smile

The server is now up - please feel free to join now, or later if you'd prefer not to wait!

2018-06-25 03:39:20

Damn, sorry I had to miss this. I knew about it but a, forgot, and b, wasn't going to be around for the whole thing since it was the middle of the day and usually that's when plans happen. So just curious: if we do this again, is it possible to shoot for 04:00 UTC or thereabouts? If not I understand - mine isn't the only time obviously, but if so that'd be great since it's like 10 at night so I'm very unlikely to be interupted.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2018-06-25 10:57:26

sadly, I missed it too. though to make up the loss of that, I was able to scrap up just under 30 streams on Liam's stream, so not all got lost. still, would be nice to join if we did this again. I would prefer around 6 eastern, though, since I'm in brittish GMT over here.

2018-06-25 13:34:04

I can host one at some point. I have all except one game, and that is the aquarium snapshot or whatever it's called in english, however people shouldn't miss that one so badly smile have custom options too, so if some people prefer to play with more turns we can do that too.

2018-06-30 05:59:46

Meh, I missed this too, though I remember seeing Elliot on a server a few days ago smile. I just got into online mini-game parties on Monday or Tuesday or something, no lie. I wish I'd gotten into it sooner. Perhaps it's good that I missed it though, since if I'd gotten into this stuff a few days sooner and tried to participate in this event, it would've overwhelmed me, especially since I don't really do online games and am not familiar with the conventional ways they work, in fact that's one of the reasons I ignored parties for the longest time, but finally decided to give it a shot. While I'm still really new to how the parties work, I have learned some about it, and now I am pretty addicted, though I am really only able to join other people's servers, I think it'll be awhile before I am worthy of doing my own servers lol. I do think I would be up for an event like this in the future.
Do you have any rough idea of when you'd plan to have another one eg. next weekend, in a month, or something like that? That way I know to be ready for it? Also, any groups I could join to talk to other players who are way more hardcore than I am smile?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.