2018-06-15 16:23:37

So, on my computer, when I attempt to open the programs and features section of control pannel, NVDA doesn't read any of it. It says that I'm in a folder view list, but doesn't read any thing when I arrow down, and if I tab out of it, I can't get it again.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-06-15 16:50:21

I don't have this issue, just checked, it both read, and is navigable if tabbed away from. I'm on version 1803 of windows 10. I do run NVDA snapshots, in particular, the Next branch, so this may be why, still, if you haven't updated to 2018.2, now might be the time. Also, if that doesn't help, go to settings and set the debug level to debug, then see if anything shows up that looks suspicious in the log having to do with not being able to read control states and shit, specifically , look for anything that shows iaccessible, MSAA, or UIA, I don't know which it would use because I'm fucked if I understand it, but yeah.

If there is shit in the log, create a Github issue and detail the issue with the log section relevant, but make sure you haven't typed any sensitive information, because when NVDA is on input / output or higher in debug mode, it collects key presses and shit, so remove that or just chop away the section relevant to the problem. I'd set it back to info too when I was done so its not making huge ass logs.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-15 18:33:43

Hello.

I had a similar issue with folders.

I've found the best thing to do is to uninstall NVDA and reinstall it.

I've saved all the addons I could want on my external hard drive and I recommend you do the same, along with the latest NVDA installer.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-06-15 19:22:35

Maximize the window.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2018-06-15 22:07:18 (edited by x0 2018-06-15 22:09:05)

maximizing might help, I haven't tried that one. I do not see this problem on programs and features, it is IAccessible2 by the way 32, I would usually see it in explorer folder view lists. What would happen is the treeview was usable, but the folder view list was basically invisible, it would not say anything in the tab order, not even the headers, and stuff. It's why I ditched the main explorer and switched to xplorer2, but xplorer2 can't do control panel so... This issue is quite random, I have never been able to solidly reproduce it, though if I ever do I'll look for com errors from IAccessible2 and other things. You'll get errors about none type objects, error executing scripts, and possibly com errors. I can't believe I'm saying this but... Restarting things can actually help. Restarting NVDA doesn't usually, but you can either log out and back in, kill and reset the explorer with taskmgr, or just flat out shutdown.exe -r -t 00 -f
Edit: the exact behavior is that the list elements would appear in the tab order, just when I tabbed to them nothing would be spoken. Also the list does appear to object navigation, so it's more of an error with the system focus lining up than the objects actually being invisible, like they are in the 64bit treeview thing, see teamtalk and regedit.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-06-16 15:02:07

I've also seen this on school computers, where the school doesn't want you to see what's installed, so it could also be an account restriction.

2018-06-16 23:15:50

that usually just straight up gives an error about administrative permissions, though sometimes portable NVDAs have trouble accessing some system elements, like some explorer winows, becuase they're portable and not installed. Installers for progams seem to be notorious for this, the focus either doesn't see anything or speech won't interrupt.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-06-17 12:19:30

this one was upgraded from windows 7 to 10, and things like run dialog, task manager, etc, were disabled. so I connected to the guy through NVDA remote, and the windows-x short cut, then programs and features did the job, but the list was completely empty. if that was in fact not the case, then the guy must have had some seriously messed up NVDA installation, and since I didn't have physical access to the PC, I can't say for sure.