2018-06-07 23:07:49

Hi.
Well I need a new battery for my BrailleNote bt 32. On HumanWare, it is $50. I read a blog post that said they are sold for low prices at places  like walmart and target. My only problem is he didn't say what kind of battery it is. Could someone tell me what kind of battery it is? I'd rather not pay fifty dollars to humanware, if I can get it cheaper somewhere else. I remember somebody saying on here, that it's some type of aa battery, but I don't know the exact model.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-06-08 00:22:09

its likely several AA batteries, or equivalents in series, in a pack, I wouldn't fuck around, I'd just get the right one. I don't know if the battery is even self replaceable, if so, its going to be in a pack that's got a specific connector, and possibly keyed to fit into a slot only one way, without this, it wouldn't work, if its not meant to be user replaceable, and you want to do it anyway, you will need the power specifications of the battery. In such cases, it may still have a connector, in which case, if the battery doesn't have the same connector, you would have to cut the connector from the old battery and attach it to the new battery, making sure that a bit of lead wire is cut, stripped, a bit of wire from the battery is stripped, and you splice it in, and it needs be correct, else the polarity will be reversed, and you will have problems. You would probably want a multimeter, and something very small you can use as a probe to test the connector, if that's even possible, some cases, it wouldn't be if the contacts are on the side, rather than inside individual holes. If the battery has no connectors, it will be soldered to the board, you will then need to desolder it, get some solder, and a soldering iron, and then you will need to solder the new one onto the board, onto the traces for the battery. This is problematic, and not recommended. IF it is a sort of laptop style battery pack that you can just remove, again, its going to be keyed a specific way, and you're still going to need to know the power specs to get one that will match, and that's assuming you can get it in the slot, just buy the battery, $50 is cheap.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-08 01:12:47

Thanks. It is easy to replace, you just pull a switch on the back to release the old battery , then pull it again to insert the new one. It's odd, they have very cheap cases and chargers available on amazon, but not the batteries.
I bought an off brand AC adapter from amazon, it's actually better quality than the ones HumanWare sells.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2018-06-08 05:20:16 (edited by Slender 2018-06-08 05:28:07)

I think you're referring to the BrailleNote Apex. The MPower and earlier are the ones that supposedly use AA batteries soldered together, with the exception of the PK which is lithium ion. The Apex battery is custom as far as I know, and it I believe it has a second CMOS type battery to keep the time accurate and (probably) preserve the RAM content. This second battery is in the motherboard and can't be replaced without voiding your warranty, but the main battery is what's user replaceable.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2018-06-08 05:54:58

Ah, yeah I didn't really know, Either way, if you find one that's cheaper than humanware sells it, I'd be trying to find out why. First off, its probably a very specialized product, not really made to go into anything else, in that case, there's got to be a reason they're making them cheaper. Anything to a surplus, to a company manufacturing lower quality versions of the battery. Also, it could be that they've had these sitting around for quite some time, and after so many years, its sort of a gamble if they'll work, or if you'll see the type of battery life you're supposed to see out of it. It may also be refurbished. Point being, if you find something like that, for a specialty product for a niche market, I'd be trying to determine why before I were to consider a purchase. $50 doesn't seem unreasonable to me to get something you know will work, that's made for your product, etc. It's risk versus gain, OK, I lose $50, but I'm much more confident this battery will work as it should, and not damage my note taker that will cost me several hundred to get fixed if something happens. If this were for something mainstream, I'd say go for it, try to find a deal wherever possible, but yeah, my recommendation is just to get the Humanware one, unless you can be convinced by all the info you find that its the same thing and that its well within its life time.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-08 15:51:15

1) the motherboard battery, even if it dies, that's not an issue, the main battery will still work. 2) the apex battery can be, the mPower battery can't be replaced. 3) the mPower does in fact, use regular batteries, seen them myself. 4) as far as I know, the apex batteries are custom designed as far as the shape, (not the content) so even if you find a battery with the right voltage, it's unlikely to fit the compartment.  I wouldn't fuck with batteries and chargers if I were you.

2018-06-08 19:42:29

Yep, the m-power and classic use a bunch of rechargable AA batteries, which is why they needed to be recalibrated a lot, and why if you had one of those CF based wi fi cards, your battery wouldn't last more than an hour. Made since back then, because most Win CE devices ran off of that, but in practical use, it was quite dumb in my opinion. Suggests the reason why  when I got an m-power from the school for the blind last year, to mess around with and relive some old memories the battery was completely shot, even though it was last used in 2012. The funny thing is, as a graduation present, from them I nabbed a trekker breeze which also hadn't  been used since  2012, and the battery was still working.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-06-08 22:10:20

Yeah its just not smart to mess around with this type of stuff, chargers, there are a few parameters you need to match. Input and output voltage, output is more important, it needs to be pretty dang close to what the device needs. Current, usually measured in mA or milliamps unless you are charging like an iPad. Polarity, OK, so the end of those barrel plugs, if that's even what it uses, I honestly don't know, they can be in two configurations, the center pin can be ground and the inner rim can be hot, or the center pin can be hot and the inner rim can be ground. This is usually represented by a graphic, so that's an issue. The fact that you just happened to get a charger that just happens to work with your device means you got pretty lucky, but it also doesn't rule out the possibility of a problem. If the output voltage is too high, you may slowly damage components as the charging cycle will pulse higher than normal voltage, also if its too low, that could spell problems. That's why a lot of these places say use the charger or adapter provided. Are they making money off of you if you have to replace it, yes, but unless you know exactly what to look for in a replacement charger, you could very well break your device.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-17 04:10:35

Hi Ironcross.
Well I'm interested, how would this damage the device? It seems to recognize the charger, and charges the battery like it should, if it was damaging the device, I would think there would be a significant change on how the device works. The battery runs down fast, but it has always done this in the last year. The adapter I got, has two sizes for the adapter, you just have to use a different plug. When I plugged it in, it recognized the charger instantly.
Thanks again for all your assistance, you seem to know a great deal about this sort of thing.

Guitarman.

2018-06-17 05:15:33

I mean it may be subtly over time or it may not be, you might have got lucky in that you found a charger with specs that are close enough to what it needs that its not an issue. Many many things in the world that wear out do so over time, its not always a bang and magic smoke, or all the sudden something quits working. This can of course happen, power surges caused by lightning strikes can fry equipment if not properly protected by a device capable of suppressing them. Look at the automotive world, with things like brakes, you don't go from driving one day and everything's fine to the next day you get in your car and all the sudden, you have no brakes at all and can't stop. There's wear and tear. Each time you use the brakes, you're wearing a bit of the meat away from your pads, and over time, the rotor will wear too. Electronic parts can fail rather abruptly, leaving your car not running right, or not at all, but over all, things don't usually just pop.

Feeding too much power into a device though, that will have the potential to pop it, chips might have a variance of like 10% of tolerated voltage. Each chip, and a lot of electronic components come with a data sheet that lists all the specs of it, including its operating voltage and current needs. Also consider the fact that voltage regulators will run closer to tolerance if the power is too high, and this will cause them to build up more heat, and heat is the number one enemy of electronics, so your voltage regulator will fail over time and when it burns out finally, you could be getting raw power into circuitry that can't handle it.

Low power is going to be a more subtle thing, but it can and will cause malfunctions. Also, a common thing in electronics is the 5 volt rail. This provides a sort of high signal for logic chips and other chips and circuitry. You pull that down with a ground when you want to provide low signal, or translated as off. So let's say now that because of insufficient power, you're 5 volt rail is not running at 5 volts anymore, its running at 4.7. Well, maybe this will cause issues, because maybe some more sensitive chips see that as a low signal, and thus, won't do what they're supposed to be doing at the time they're supposed to be doing it. The 5 volt rail is not power to run the chips, its signal. This is how analog synthesizers worked, VCO stands for voltage controlled oscillator, and when you hit a key, voltage is literally being sent to it, and oscillators work by switching that current back and forth fast enough to be audible. Key tracking will make each key send a different voltage to whatever you have it patched to, usually a filter. So when you have that on, lower notes will send less of a voltage than higher ones. So see, in this case, that voltage is not being used to power the things, that comes from other sources, voltage is a signal.

In cars, you have two sort of systems. Your battery provides a constant 12 volt source, and when the engine is running, the alternator is doing two jobs, its taking over for the battery in providing power, and its charging the battery. All the things like the stereo and nav, the climate control, the lights, the wipers, all that stuff gets its power from that 12 volt system. There is also a 5 volt system that really doesn't power anything, but it is used as signals. The ECM, or in older cars, ECU, basically the main computer that controls all the other modules of the car, it will use 5 volts as its output to various components to make them work, not to power them, but to tell them when to turn and off. Back to the synthesizer, A waveform that has an abrupt on off, on off cycle with no ramping or anything in between is called a square wave, its the one that hearkens back to the Nintendo NES days, but really every 8-bit system used them. As I said, this is a cycle, it is on, and it is off, or when used electronically, its either 5 volt, or its pulled to ground. This is a cycle, the amount of time it is on related to the amount of time it is off, when those are equal, we say it is a square, when they're not, its a pulse wave, and there other details there too that I'm not as familiar with. When we vary the cycle, which is called a duty cycle, we are modulating the pulse width. All sorts of things modulate other things in a synthesizer, but when the pulse width becomes narrow, you are having more ons than offs, or more offs than ons, the sound becomes narrow and reedy and some of the harmonics drop out.

So the various modules in a car ill use this to tell components to work, and when specifically to work. A car's fuel injectors need this signal from the computer to tell them when to fire, thus, causing them to spray (inject) a fuel vapor into the engine at each cylinder means that the computer has control of the injectors. It can tell each one when to pulse, and control the timing of each pulse just by modulating the duty cycle of the square wave, i.e. sending 5 volts, or sending no volts. That's where this really comes into play, if that process gets disrupted by a charger that isn't sending enough power because its just not built to do that, since the transformer isn't designed for it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-17 11:58:56

not ironcross, but it all depends on the voltage. think the apex uses a 6 volt charger, but this is a really rough guess. if you then plugged in, say, an 8 volt charger, your battery could potentially explode, or over heat internal components. someone told me how an mPower charger apparently blew up their pac mate, so I'd be careful. you should be able to notice if things are warmer than usual, those are usually signs of this happening. with all that said, a first gen victor reader charger seems to fit my u2 just fine, but those streams have such small batteries, I'm pretty sure the voltage in that is less than what the u2 requires. but even that, I wouldn't recommend.

2018-06-18 01:33:14

Hi.
Thanks, I haven't noticed any heat, only my flash drive gets a little hot, and it's always done that. I actually did know to check for extra heat, I had an ignirant teacher plug in the wrong charger to a braille n speak, and it did nearly blow up. It got so hot the casing melted. I've never forgotten this, I've always been careful with all my devices. As weird as it sounds, this has given me a fear of electrical fires, so I'm always careful to watch devices closely.
How would I check if the device is getting too high or too low voltage? If I remember right, I think you need some sort of meter, although I don't remember what it's called.

Guitarman.

2018-06-18 12:01:22

the charger should have a box like thingy, where the power cable, and the charger cable meet. that box should have the voltage. see if you can get a sighted to check out both that, and the old apex charger if you still have it. alternatively, if you no longer have the old apex charger, see if the voltage is mkentioned on the bottom of the battery.