2018-06-06 06:20:30

Hi.
So, harddrive problems revisited.

Back in february my old harddrive died after some years and I got myself a 2 Terabyte HDD from Toshiba which worked fine till yesturday morning.
The days prior, I had problems in attaching the harddrive to the computer because sometimes it wouldn't recognise the cable and i would need to rock the cable a bit till the harddrive booted up.
Yesturday though, I couldn't even boot the thing, it worked after some trys, I don't know how I did that, but when I accidentally unplugged it and wanted to plug it back in, it didn't work anymore, I tryed about 2 dozen times putting the cable back in, but nothing works anymore.
I mostly suspect that the Micro B port is at fault here, the drive doesnt even react or give a signal.
So, I wanted to get the drive out of it's casing and wanted to put it into a new one, and here is where I could need some help.
Is it in fact possible to change a harddrives casing without sighted assistance, or would it be a better idea to bring the drive to an electronics store and let them do the work?

Would be thankfull for answers.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-06-06 06:51:27

Depends on what kind of harddrive it is. If it's an internal inside an external enclosure which is what I have, just remove the screws and dismount the drive from the sada port. If not, you may want to either let someone sighted look at it or send it into a shop. It's doable, but more often than not those enclosures end up being pretty hard to open because they shove the drive into such a tiny enclosure.

2018-06-06 07:14:21

Hi.
Well, I sadly don't know what kind of case it is actually.
There are those four rubber things in the corners at the bottom side of the unit so it doesn't slide around on the desk, I found by removing one of those that there are in fact screws hidden underneath.
The problem I am having is tthat I haven't done this before and I am a bit afraight of touching something which shouldn't be touched or do anything wrong by accidentally breaking something.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-06-06 10:36:19

Hi,

OK, so there are some advices. As long as you make sure you aren't electrically charged in some way, you probably can't damage anything when opening the case. The hard drive itself is screwed together and can't be damaged by just touching it, the only damagabe part might be the SATA board inside, which usually connects the hard drive's sata port and probably an on/off switch to the USB connector, and which you'll need to disconnect from the hard drive in order to remove it from the case.
Either use gloves to protect the technical components from getting flashed, or make sure you discharge before operating on the drive, by e.g. touching the water tap or heater before removing the screws from the case.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2018-06-06 10:58:21

Hi.
Oh dear, so as we found out the things I thought to be screws were'nt actually screws, the problem is that the casing of the hard drive is actually glued together as it seams and there is no way to open it, the only way I could access the drive would be flexing it open or ask a sighted person to use a saw, cut a part of the case away and reach the drive that way to get it out of the case and in to a new one.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-06-06 11:30:54

you'll need a pri tool. to open the cace. from their, remove the hardrive as described by the friendly folks here.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-06-06 11:34:45

Having done this multiple times, I can say with every confidence that it's a pretty easy job. You'll want a nice bick flathead screwdriver. Since the case isn't of use any more, don't worry about damaging it.

You'll want to find at the edges where the seams for the case are. Force your flathead into that seam, then pry the hell away.
Every external I've torn apart, and I've torn apart about five of them, has been an internal hard drive inside a case, with a small controller board to operate it. Tear away the outer plastic shell. You'll often discover that inside is a metal casing around the hard drive. This casing is sometimes held together with screws that go into the holes which would normally secure the hard drive inside a computer case. Remove this case.
You'll often find the hard drive is connected to the controller board by some connectors. If these are wired connectors, simply unplug them and you're set. If these are connectors on the controller board itself, firmly pull the drive away from the board in a nice straight movement and it'll come loose.

Once you've done this, you can install the hard drive like any other internal, or you can buy an external hard drive enclosure to put the salvaged device in.

Remember while disassembling: be gentle with the hard drive. There are moving parts, and you don't want to be banging it around in case you damage some internal workings such as drive heads.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2018-06-06 12:15:39

Hi.
Well, the problem is that we tried multiple flat head screw drivers, there isn't really a slot where you could get a good grip with that thing to pry it open, otherwise I guess we would have it open by now.
I just hope that it's worth the trouble and that it is really just the USB port going dead and not something like the motor of the drive or something like that.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-06-06 12:23:11

WARNING! Read this before beginning!

I've recently heard stories of people moving their drives to new cases, only to find their drive works, but the data is unreadable. This is because the old enclosure used encryption on all the drive's data, with the key stored on the control board of the enclosure. Presumably this is to insure that only the original enclosure will work, but it ends up biting people who have enclosures die. If this is the case, the enclosure may have the only copy of the key that exists anywhere in the world, in any form. Alternatively, it might be that the manufacturer can recover the key for a hefty price. In either event, if you find your data is gibberish, OS doesn't recognize the filesystem on the drive and software data recovery programs are of absolutely no use, this has probably happened to you. Without the encryption key, sadly your data is as good as gone, as modern encryption systems are generally very good at what they do, with no known backdoors or weaknesses, and make a brute force search of the key take probably millions of years.

Bottom line: Do not throw away your old enclosure until you know you can actually get to your data on the drive with a new enclosure. The drive powering up is not enough.

2018-06-06 17:40:23

I've only ever put a drive into a USB enclosure, not taken apart one of those external drives. Also, there might be more than one drive in there if they use RAID across them, then you have problems.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-07 06:24:13

I always used laptop drives with a Sata to USB cable to act as an external.  simple, effective, and well, works fine, however in this case, I've honestly never torn apart an external drive that legitimately was an external drive and not just an internal inside an enclosure, but I can safely say there had been times when using that external enclosure as a way to USB boot a DVD drive was necessary, although ghetto rigged to some degree.

Just be careful bro, and about aht encryption thing,  as mentioned keep everything until you know your data is as good as safe, so that way in the worse case scenario, you can at least back up and remove the data off the drive, then format it with a new enclosure. and then re-apply the data.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel