2018-06-02 11:07:30

well, let's start off by saying this problem doesn't happen very offen. but when it does, it annoys the hell out of me. i get my computer up and running, windows and the sign in dialog works fine, and suddenly, when you've signed in, the computer has muted itself and you didn't ask it to do that. how can i either stop it from happening or turn it off without sighted help, because it's getting really annoying i have to get my mum up to my room just to uncheck a box

For me, the new coding age begins!

2018-06-02 12:55:49

Is there a mute volume button on your keyboard perhaps?

2018-06-02 13:44:34

JAWS has a feature to get around this problem, you just hit insert plus escape to refresh the virtual screen buffer, and as part of the refresh, JAWS will check the mute and volume status and reset them if they are set to where you wouldn't hear anything. It also does this check when it starts up.

Freedom Scientific said that this was a feature of a screen reader that they acquired that was highly requested by its users switching to JAWS, so they added it to JAWS.

If NVDA has a refresh function, like the one in JAWS, you might suggest the feature to the developers.

2018-06-02 14:59:01

I wish it just didn't volume it up to 50, it is loud as hell with headphones. Personally speaking, that feature is very hard to get right. In some instances, you might just want your pc muted and resetting jaws will unmute it and as I said even worse, set it to 50. On most laptops, you do have volume buttons or if not volume buttons, a fn combination you use to volume up or down. In that case, it is enough to just press a volume button and it will be unmuted. However, to help you more we would probably need to know which checkbox your mom unchecks and what appears on the screen as that happens, because normally windows does not randomly mute itself so you might have an app doinng that.

2018-06-02 16:15:04

Sorry for double post, but I've just found out you can achieve this with NVDA too with a new addon called shared computer. This addon offers the setting for num lock key customization, as well as very customizable muting behaviour. Find the addon to read the readme as well as downloading at https://github.com/Robert-J-H/SharedComputer

2018-06-02 17:43:12

@nidza07

I should have known somebody would have already thought of that and created an add in for NVDA.

But, you make a good point and a idea for a suggestion to send to Freedom Scientific, and that is to provide an option that can be defaulted to 50 where we can choose what volume level to reset to if it needs resetting.

2018-06-02 17:59:32

Yes, having different options for that would be ideal. For example, with headphones 50 is loud, but with some speakers it might not be and in my opinion allowing as much configuration and giving users choice can't be bad.