2018-05-26 14:59:35

well this topic might be complicated for those of us
but I have a question maybe someone could answer them
firstly when we go to bios have we get screen reader support and can go through any menu without sight help yet?
secondly if we have a new laptop install window already then without sight help how we know that pressing correct key then enter bios in no time?
so whether we can figure out or not you can share your opinion here

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.
everyone can collect in everyday.
:d

2018-05-26 16:14:37

Hello,

BIOS/UEFI does not support text-to-speech. It is technically possible for UEFI to support at least a basic text-to-speech system to read options as you navigate. HOwever, convincing manufacturers to implement this seems nearly impossible. Your best bet when it comes to this is to get a sighted person to help you in real time. That could be a person in the same room with you, or someone on a live video connection through a service like Be My Eyes or Aira. You might get some information using Taptap See or Seeing AI, but I don't find those to be as helpful because you can't tell where you are and what your cursor is set to.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-05-26 16:35:08

An alternative that some manufacturers, like Dell, provide is a utility that runs in Windows that allows you to edit the BIOS settings. The downside here is that Windows has to be installed and running, and such utilities are machine specific in that they are designed for a specific model, so you can't generally use a BIOS utility designed for Inspiron's on a Latitude, and it could go even deeper in that you can't use a utility designed for a Latitude D630 on a Latitude D830.

Your best bet is to either get sighted help, or use something like Be My Eyes or Aira, if you can't find anybody local to help you.

2018-05-26 18:08:41 (edited by Ethin 2018-05-26 18:14:52)

Posts 2 and 3 are correct. I sent in a request strait to the UEFI forum, describing such an interface, but they told me they couldn't make it apart of the UEFI specification simply because it has to remain as vendor-generic as possible. But they were at least open to the idea. They said they'd see what they could do. It is not possible at all for a PC BIOS implementation to have a TTS interface at all. It is simply too abstract for that. The problem that you must understand about this problem is that:
* for the BIOS, your processor is still in real mode (16-bit mode), so only has access to the first 1MB of memory. Loading any other apps into that small of a memory space would be nearly impossible, if not completely so.
* The UEFI specification does require that all implementations run in 64-bit mode (also known as "long mode"); however, a TTS interface would require a sound interface. UEFI does not require an implementation to have such an interface. This would also require a runtime service to be implemented (no, not a boot service). There are some requirements for these services from section 8.1:

All of the Runtime Services may be called with interrupts enabled if desired. The Runtime Service functions will internally disable interrupts when it is required to protect access to hardware resources. The interrupt enable control bit will be returned to its entry state after the access to the critical hardware resources is complete. All callers of Runtime Services are restricted from calling the same or certain other Runtime Service functions prior to the completion and return of a previous Runtime Service call. These restrictions apply to:

• Runtime Services that have been interrupted

• Runtime Services that are active on another processor.

Callers are prohibited from using certain other services from another processor or on the same processor following an interrupt as specified in Table 34. For this table ‘Busy’ is defined as the state when a Runtime Service has been entered and has not returned to the caller.

Alternatively, a sound interface could be implemented as a protocol, though I'm not sure how this could be done. Unfortunately, the UEFI specification does not define such a protocol in chapters 9-21 of the specification. Therefore, it is up to the vendor to implement the interface.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-26 21:24:45

Wonder if a more generic option would be to run the synth through the PC speaker?
I heard that DOS could do that in a basic way, I wonder if it's still too limited to do phonemes? I don't care if it sounds pretty, just understandable...

2018-05-26 21:40:43

I think OpenSuSe tried that once in the boot loader... it... didn't exactly work very well. It was nearly impossible to understand, and it used very, very low-quality WAV files. We're talking like the fucking 8-bit WAV ones, static included. It would be nice to have something like this, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-27 03:35:30

thanks all of you guys are pointing out
answer so this time no way without sight person
right but when I was searching through in the internet it said that has already screen reader help
what does it mean should I run through dos mode if it actually working
otherwise possible way is ask some help from sight person only

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.
everyone can collect in everyday.
:d

2018-05-27 05:53:48 (edited by Ethin 2018-05-27 05:54:19)

@7, you can't run anything through DOS mode on [any] modern computer without, well, DOS. Which, I don't think, is available any more, anywhere. You wouldn't like DOS mode anyway. No one would these days.

My Github

2018-05-27 07:37:19

I've heard some pretty good chipspeech though, so if 8bit is the only true limitation than I bet we could do better if we tried hard enough.

2018-05-27 08:01:43

the bios doesn't use dos or anything else. it has it's own system so no you can't create things for it, 8 bit or not. I believe one company did put a speech option in to their bios about 20 years ago but it either caused problems or not enough people needed it. I think it was giggabite on their boards but I wouldn't swear to it.

Toshiba used to make a windows based bios editor as well although it was kind of limited. not sure if they still do. pretty sure asus, acer, Lenovo etc don't though. maybe del do but it'll take you 3 hours to get it to talk to you and then it'll not be able to speak your language.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-05-27 08:41:45

well fuck, then.

2018-05-28 10:47:28

asus once did this thing on their asus p5 A D 2 E premium mother board. ware you hured this chick saying, Computer now booting from operating system.
it was a wave file. and you could customise it in windows to play your own customised chime or what ever you wished, but that was about it, never sw any sort of speach in bios before.
a real pitty it could not be done though. but I have a question my self. remember thos sirial port sinths you used to get, the hardware ones? could they not some how be used to get speach access to bios?

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-05-28 11:33:58

Although it isn't accessing the bios, you can change the boot order from within the operating system if you are booted in EFI mode. I've only tried this on linux, but boot entries can be added, moved and removed with the efibootmgr program. The process is complicated and has been explained elsewhere, but depending on your computer you can boot .efi files or boot bios based operating systems. There can only be one bios bootloader on one drive, so bios based options are in most cases named after the drive in question. When a boot entry has the name of a drive it can also mean that it boots from standard .efi filenames (bootx64.efi foor x64 based pcs).

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-05-28 16:14:57

At post 12, no, even with a serial synth, there's no way to access the BIOS because there's no way to have any screen reader loaded. The BIOS is its own internal operating system, nothing can be added to it.

2018-06-01 10:12:32

If you have an iPhone, use Seeing AI, select Short Text mode and try to recognize text from your computer screen by using it. That's the only way to access BIOS as a blind person.

2018-06-01 13:18:36

Even that has many problems, not the least of which is that there's no way to know which item in a menu is selected.

2018-06-01 18:14:50

You'd be better off using something like be my eyes, where they can actually guide you through and tell you those important details that Seeing AI will most likely miss.

My Github