2018-05-27 22:21:49

Ethin have you watched Karen's talk yet? She is behind both writing and enforcement of the law, she knows what she is talking about.

I've spoken with Karen in person in some detail about it, and to put it bluntly, you're wrong. You are misinterpreting the requirements, the exceptions, and the process.

"How do you think Valve has not managed to be pegged by the FCC for violating this law already?"

The FCC doesn't "peg" companies. Customers do. FCC work as mediators - when a customer makes a complaint to the FCC about a company, the FCC works with that company to get it fixed. Which in every case to date had happened promptly.

Every single case brought to date has resulted in the issues being fixed. Yet steam has not been fixed. Which means that the only possible reason is because no customer (or group) has raised the issue of steam inaccessibility with the FCC.

2018-05-27 22:42:46

I'm tired of arguing with you. However, I feel that most, if not nearly all, of my points were valid ones. The CVAA only covers communications. So, by that very law, Steam would only have to make their chatting functionality accessible, not the entire application. That barely solves the problem of Steams inaccessibility.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-28 18:56:40

The later postings to this topic seem overly combative. I agree that it's going to be hard to get Valve to implement proper accessibility features even with federal laws governing that prospect, but a few of the posts here seem just a bit too hostile for the nature of the conversation. I do believe that Ian actually does work in this kind of field, so it's probably safe to assume that he does know what he talks about, and there's no shame in people venting their desires for greater efforts on the part of companies to implement accessibility. It doesn't have to be a my ego is bigger than yours degradation, folks.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2018-05-28 20:08:51 (edited by defender 2018-05-28 20:09:54)

Agreed Kai.

Ethin, you may have several useful points or maybe not, and the discussion (legal precedent or no) I believe is an important one which I my self also think about allot, but being so snidely superior and harshly dismissive shows a blatant disrespect of the other party's opinion that makes it hard not to subconsciously dismiss your own, not something you want if you expect to gain support for your argument...
You don't need to insert putdowns wherever possible, it just makes it personal when all it is is a disagreement, if the other party is representing an ideal that you deeply despise as is evident here than I understand how things can get heated, but they are not individually responsible for that entire mindset, so demonizing them and turning them into a punching bag really solves nothing of the actual underlying issue.
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar because that's just how humans are wired, so if you really want to change someone's mind than you need to show at least a minimum level of respect, just like your suggesting we do if we want companies to make things accessible for us.
You should read what you've written before posting it and trim the fat before you let everyone see it, so that you can be sure that you are presenting an image that you really want associated with your self, I do it all the time, and it's probably saved my ass loads of times.

2018-06-03 20:05:35

Thanks Kai

2018-06-09 00:02:18

Hi all,
Did anyone figure out how to solve the steam problem. I'm facing the same issue too.
Best regards.

2018-06-22 01:32:02

I mean post 8 does have a fix, but the problem is getting there to do it. lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.