2018-04-25 08:12:54

Hi.
Well thinking of getting a new laptop, something with 2 drives, dedicated graphics so its not using shared memmory and either amd or intel cpu, probably amd.
Looking at manufacturers it looks like because of wavemax, dell is a bad idea.
There is hp which does have effects but I have used one and it seems ok.
A friend however says lenovo seem to be quite good.
Any brands I should go for any I should avoid.
Lenovo seem to do accessible documentation and seem to maybe have better services but who knows.

2018-04-25 13:44:27

Dell has worked flawlessly for me for many years, my current laptop is 8 years old and it's running like on the first day. I've heard good stuff about lenovo too though I heard a lot of bad reviews aswell, it seems they're quite sensible to sudden shocks or jolts.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-04-25 15:16:26

I'd recommend System76 (www.system76.com). While their Laptops come with Linux when you buy them, you can put Windows on them and they work flawlessly. The one I use regularly -- which is the one I'm typing this message on, in fact -- is a System76 one. (I bought it out of necessity, but probably would've bought one eventually.) They let you customize your build and offer a wide variety of selections. Check 'em out! smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-25 17:40:26

Interesting, yeah I've heard of them too.
For mainstream though Asus is also pretty good from what I've heard, and the Lenovo Thinkpad T and X lines are solid, it's the ideapad you have to be wary of last time I heard anything about it.

2018-04-26 01:27:40

Hmmm.
Having used an hp unit of my aunts, and having all their tools tied to the support hub has meant that I have found 99.9% of the software installed on there with a few acceptions quite good for what it is.
I am after a twin drive model.
Hp seem to have amd and intel chips, graphics cards and the like.
Sounds wize quite good bar updating to latest sound drivers which caused all sound to sound squishy, if you can get the 2.7 or 2.82 broken generic realtech drivers and don't mind a little ducking then sounds even with enhancements sounds quite good.
People have mentioned that dells have wavemax which is not really that good of an idea.
They don't have my configurations in any case.
As for lenovo, the only one that looks good enough for me is the thinkpad edge 580, sadly its an intel duelcore i7, but it can take upto 32gb of ram, 2 drives, and an amd video card.
I can buy lesser models but then I get one drive less and to be honest the next powered unit I have especially since its got win10 is going to have a duel drive model.
I am not sure about lenovo but hp have hardware vertualisation and I really will want to run xp and win7 off that maybe linux, one after another depending on speed who knows.
As for lenovo, they are ibm the origional makers of pcs.
With toshiba seemingly to while they still exist here in new zealand only producing 7th and 6th generation single drive units and not many models to choose from I will have to get out of that.
Sadly you can't seem to get a vanilla soundcard in your system.
I don't mind effects in my soundcard but effects are no good for speech at all.
Even on my gaming cards speech sucks in it but everything else is really cool.
Sadly you can't just buy an unlocked realtech or other generic card without anything on it.
I have plenty of externals both an old sb play v1 and an andriea electronics 3d recording headset package from amazon which does have another external no effects card but its just that, another card, another port, which I have enough of but not really that portable as such.
As for the other suggestions.
I think that due to costs and such, I will be staying in my country where buying is concerned.
Lets see, laptop pluss shipping and gst because there will be, pluss well due to the new laws the expensive cost of shipping the battery not to mention if there is no support here as such or the model is not supported here means I am going to have a hell of a time trying to handle an overseas unit unless they have an agent here.
What is getting me to think about lenovo though is the fact their accessibility page states that accessible documentation exists on request and that they will help with accessibility out the box and all seem to have descriptions.
There are people saying kill all the bloat but I would need to know what it all did and what use it had before killing it.
One thing I will not be doing is probably killing the cyberlink software and the like off the units unless I need to.
I had this on my old asus board desktop workstation and it just didn't work with 10, but it managed to take down all cd drives, and lets just say I was not happy.
Eventually I went without it simply because I couldn't get it working.
If that software is part of the cd drive I may have to leave it alone.
If there was a way to get a unit where I threw in an amd unit, maybe a card, networks, the ports I am used to etc that would be fine.
Ofcause the single microphone headphone thing is not a big concern as I have devices and ports.
A lot of newer systems use usbc.
I use usb 2.0 3.0 devices mainly.
I can use 3.1 devices but not usbc devices.
I am still not sure what I will go for.
Lenovo have customised units, my plan was a thinkpad maybe but the hp units I have tried seem ok to though configuration of the keyboard is a bit weird.
I do use an asus strix pro tactic blue cherry organic board for my gaming and desktop typing and find it usefull and easy to handle things so I don't need to worry about an actual laptop board for most of my life.
b

2018-04-26 06:06:49

You can disable the horrible "enhancements" that many sound card drivers turn on by default to preserve your sanity when using screen readers.

I can second the recommendation for the Lenovo Thinkpad T series - they have the best keyboards on laptops, and after you've experienced it, you won't know how you've put up with inferior keyboards from many other manufacturers. Its also a business class laptop, so its a lot more durable than consumer models.

2018-04-26 22:13:43

I'de suggest go for lenovo
not hp,  i had poor experience with hp laptops,  it is overheating,  fan goes crazy,  it burns inside if you not pay attention
my hp laptop is burnt already,  so their customer service is very poor quality,  they doesn't knows how to fix these problems,  they repairs with in 14 days,  if you talk with them they doesn't explain what caused to motherboard burning inside
shortly,  poor quality customer experience,  nonknowledge staff,  call them with phone they will say please wait in line 30 mins, we'll connect you to an expert,  and expert says please wisit our service center
but lenovo,  asus,  works smoothly and silent
the ice cool technology makes your laptop silent,  so fan doesn't need to full high speed up
the overheat is important problem in the laptops
and system76 does great work too,  my some friends uses them,  it's durable computers,  and longer lifespan
keep in mind, more coolness means more longer lifespan

2018-04-27 16:46:38

Yeah I've heard that HP has had allot of overheating and general quality control problems in the last few years as well, from allot of people.
Lenovo is overpriced just like Dell, but at least in the states they have sales constantly, like they try and find any excuse they can, summer, back to school, Easter, labor day, presidents day, anything. So it seems as though their suggested price is just to make their machines look higher quality, but the real price is the one from the sales. Hopefully NZ has at least a few of those sales, I know that Canada doesn't have nearly as many...
Lenovo E isn't  as durable as T or X, but they really back you into a corner on what you can put in each model, they want you to upgrade to a better screen and dedicated graphics.
I think you should give this System 76 a shot, though the shipping to NZ might be horrifying. with terrifs and handling fees.
Also I think Asus has their own sound bullshit, it requires more research, may not be on all models.
Acer has gotten significantly better on almost all counts over the last few years as well, they are probably now above HP in terms of reliability even, but as with all manufacturers, do your research on your specific model.

2018-04-27 20:22:03

Well.
Heard this with hp they have had issues in the past but I have not had any issues with the units they have aparently its a design floor and they have fixed this in latest units.
Yeah, I noticed this in lenovos, bits and bobs.
I have not really looked at the t series, I am looking for a multi drive unit in case of processer options well.
I have used asus boards, acer, hmmm.
I have not had issue with hp support but I have had others recomend lenovo to me.
I will definately give a look at the t series units.
I have always used their graphics cards for some games but we will see.
They have sales in here and you can customise things.
Right now 3500 can get me a 32gb laptop with 2 drives, 2-4gb graphics win pro, and extra stuff.
There is  a 40% sale and now its round 2000 bucks.
I hear keyboards are not in the right place but neither are hp.