2018-04-24 21:54:03

I wonder if anyone has ever attempted to make a windows CE virtual machine and install Jaws for mobile on it. This would be interesting to mess with.q

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-04-25 02:23:09

As far as I know, no. Let's see, it could be Jaws for pocket PC v6.5 running on wm 6.0 classic on windows CE 5.2. Sounds like someone would have to take the formware of the PACMate and load it into a VM that matches the hardware speks of the PACMate. Sounds interesting, I guess.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-04-25 04:03:10

I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-04-25 05:02:07

The lone agency I go through when in need of one still has a pacmate in their database, but I would certainly not be using that as a guinea pig for any sort of firmware porting. I would have to get one off of someone on bst to have a go at. I have the windows ce/mobile emulators lying around, more to the point windows mobile as I've been trying and have yet to get mobile speak running on that - fixed space limitations galore as far as the emulator is concerned, but if I had a pacmate with me now I'd be onto that. The software front is most definitely able to be extracted, to an extent. Imaging the thing may be a bit of a stretch but it's most certainly doable. The good thing is that it doesn't depend on the braille display to run, so we have no deficiency there.

2018-04-25 09:39:44

windows CE? what the heck is that?

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2018-04-25 17:44:23

I'm just... I mean, why? It wasn't anything all that special.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-25 17:52:15

Because, it would be fun to try to see if it worked. You never know, someone down the road might want to see what this was like, and an emulator would be the only way to do it.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-04-25 22:59:40

It actually was the first notetaker that truly represented an open environment since standard and third party applications could be created for it by just about anyone with basic for pocket pc. Preserving it would be cool. Considering just about all of it is software-based.

2018-04-25 23:48:32

The one concern I have is, will there be some sort of time limit for Jaws on it. Also, this should be farily easy, you shouldn't need to match the specs of the PAC mate, as Jaws For Mobile could run on any win CE device, I think...

2018-04-26 01:33:24

Well, wouldn't the pacmate version of...oh wait, some serial number is most likely where Jaws licenses itself behind the scenes. But then again, that's most likely inside a windows registry.

2018-04-26 02:50:41

Windows CE was a version of Windows for embedded devices such as pocket PCS.

2018-04-26 03:06:06

Windows Consumer Electronics Edition.

2018-04-26 03:39:03

Yeah, but in theory, if we are imaging over one of those systems, the registry should follow, right?

2018-04-26 15:31:25

I do wonder if mobile JAWS is hooked to the hardware Sort of like JAWS on the PC is. I think I have the last update files for the PACMate laying around somewhere if you think that that would help with your project. I would post my sprite backup EXE file up here if it did not contain personal info, but sadly it does. Anyway, a backup made by sprite backup or maybe the update files for the PACmate might be the quickest ways for you to attempt to put the PACMate in a VM.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-04-26 17:38:38

I think the way to go about this project, would be to literally image a clean pack meat into a virtual machine. I don’t think you’re back up files will be any help.

2018-04-26 22:01:05

No they won't, because they aren't a real firmware package. Now I gotta get my hands on one of them to image the thing. Lol.

2018-04-28 19:40:51

I actually have a PAC mate that someone sold me. How would I go about imaging it?

2018-04-28 22:08:26

There has to be a way. Not sure though.

2018-04-30 19:52:57

that would be awsome. also, has anyone thought of triing to get the eurreka a4 emulated in mame?

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-04-30 22:15:04

As far as I know, the MAME team would have to have the actual machine to be able to get it emulated, as is usually the case with emulating a system.

2018-05-02 12:58:40

but wouldn't extracting the pac mate upgrade package help? I mean, we can always get an image of a pac mate registry later, I managed to image my braille sense registry. as for the JAWS key, there's only one way that I could think of to bypass the limitation, and we would have to do it, since freedom scientific no longer sells JAWS 7 keys. but to respect the rules, I won't name it. I'm still hoping someone will come up with a touch, or a polaris VM. sadly I don't have the skills to even begin doing one.

2018-05-02 13:28:18

The upgrade package is not a full firmware, that's the problem. And also, different system altogether, as this is jaws for ppc. The key would be in the registry somewhere.

2018-05-27 17:44:11

@12 No, CE is not an abbreviation for anything. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … windows-ce

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!