2018-04-22 22:22:55

Hi.

My lady has an easy braille braille display from Handy tech.
the problem is it reacts very oddly to nvda, for example whenever she tries to update the settings in the Nvda preferences menu an error message about "braille driver cannot be found" pops up, and upgrading Nvda causes a major hassle so she's still workin on I believe 18.1.

One more recent problem she had is she's managed to turn off the curser in nvda so the braille display no longer has a blinking curser at all.
There is a checkbox to restore this in settings, but as I said, for some crazy reason Nvda won't accept a change in braille display settings through the menu.

She can change the settings with nvda hotkeys no problem, but can't use the menu, so if anyone knows whatever key is needed (either on the braille display itself or on Nvda), to get the curser back that would help, and if anyone knows how to stop the bug with the handy tech braille driver that would help even more.

I'm afraid since I have never myself had a braille display due to their expense and difficulty to get hold of I am not familiar with how to set one up or what the various settings such as teather braille, curser blinking etc mean, hence why I'm asking for advice.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-22 23:31:26

I don't know why its doing that, but set it to no braille, make the changes, then try to load the braille driver again. I am learning all this stuff as I've just acquired a Humanware Brailliant Bi-40, which is the first braille display I've ever owned.

Also, she neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds this addon. It's called Braille extender, and its so freaking good.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-23 10:59:27

My lady says thanks Ironcross, she'll give the switching no braille thing a try. Nice to know that it's not a problem specific to handy tech since I was worried her braille display was having specific problems.

I also wonder if switching to no braille would let her update Nvda without going through massive shenanigans with the driver too since manifestly its better to have the latest version especially on the internet.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-23 15:43:44

Oh, it may very well be a Handy Tech problem, mine doesn't do that, I was just giving a generalized solution. No, with mine I can go through and change whatever in those settings, hit OK, and its changed with the device loaded, etc.

She really shouldn't need to stop the braille to update, just go to NVDA menu, help, check for updates. If its causing problems there as well, then yeah, I would have to conclude it is a driver problem.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-23 15:49:46

Hi Ironcross.

My lady told me to pass on a kiss. By changing to no braille she was not just able to fix the config issue but also update Nvda.

I do wonder if there is an issue with the handy tech braille driver and if someone should report it to the Nvda developers?

2018-04-23 17:12:44

It's possible. One thing you can do with that braille extender addon is load the synth with one key when you plug it in. Mine has the option of doing either USB or bluetooth, so its not always plugged in. Either way, unless it was very recently active, it won't be picked up so I just hit NVDA K and it loads it. You can select which braille display to load in the addon's settings, but it defaults to the last known. Each braille display has different options, for instance, mine has 6 command keys, and you press them in different combinations similar to typing braille to do different things. I can put inputs and outputs in the switch, which let's me press an I on the command keys to cycle between my methods of input. I keep UEB grade 2, and computer braille on there. I can do the same for output. The addon also gives a multitude of keyboard emulation possibilities, which is nice, because it lets you do more with the display without having to put your hands on the keyboard and back onto the display.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-30 18:12:59

This problem should be solved in the last next of NVDA, in any case it will be solved in NVDA 2018.2.

2018-05-01 11:11:47

@adriani, my lady would appreciate that, she finds the problem quite a pain, though the above mentiond workaround of turning the braille off seems to be working for the time being.