2018-04-22 18:22:20

Hi all,
So when I tried to reinstall Steam today because I wanted to check out a game I've heard about, the steam folder in program files x86 seemed to not be empty, and the installer told me as much saying it had to be installed to an empty folder. That's OK, I'll just delete it, or so I thought.
It deleted every file accept one.
I am now stuck with a file called aux.srf from one of the YOu Don't Know Jack games, specifically sports, with 0 kb filesize, no last modified date, no last accessed date, and seemingly no way to delete it even with command prompt, unless there's something I'm missing.
When trying windows explorer, it says the following and interestingly enough the info is actually in tact! This is copied from NVDA's review cursor:
Could not find this item
This is no longer located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\
common\YDKJ_SPORTS\Locker\QFOLD17. Verify the item's location and try
again.
You need to confirm this operation.
AUX
Type: SRF File
Size: 318 KB
Date modified:  11/ 11/ 2013   14:13

Try Again button Cancel button
I even tried going into the directory with command prompt running, tried dir /x to see if some sort of shortername or whatever thing has to come up, would appear, but none. Whenever I try the del command, it says:
del aux.srf
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do? When using windows explorer, the entire folder is 0 kb, but when going into the folder and navigating my way to the file, and trying to go to properties, every field is basically empty, like it's tried to delete it and hasn't refreshed the fact or something. It's strange.

2018-04-22 19:04:33

Go to CMD and type:
rd /S /Q "\\?\FullPath"

Remember to replace "FullPath" with the path of the problematic folder.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2018-04-22 19:10:25 (edited by flackers 2018-04-22 19:11:43)

I always try unlocker for this kind of thing. It offers a delete on restart option and usually has no trouble deleting these kinds of pesky files.

2018-04-22 20:58:32

Yeah, Unlocker is a great little program, too bad development has stopped on it, though it doesn't seem to need any.

2018-04-22 21:55:34

At least the website seems to be back, but it's still v1.92. Like you say, it does the job so no sweat.

2018-04-23 00:25:59

Yeah, the only downside is that he's added toolbars and other juch to his installer. Fortunately they are easy to uncheck.

2018-04-23 03:54:18

I saw another fix that involved using 7Zip to compress those sorts of files or folders to an archive and delete the original folder.

2018-04-23 17:35:05

Well that's creepy. Found this when checking my Twitter timeline.
https://lifehacker.com/lockhunter-lets- … socialflow

2018-04-23 18:42:58

What's so creepy about that?

2018-04-23 22:22:02

Hi all,
Thank you all very much for for the suggestions. After trying the 7-zip method with no dice, I thought about cmd again, and I went back to livrobo's method in post 2. Interestingly, this worked perfectly!
I will also probably consider looing for the unlocker program as well, although the file didn't seem to be locked, so that's why I went with a cmd method this time.
You are all going to get a thumbs up for your methods.

2018-04-24 00:01:43

The delete on restart option in unlocker is there as an alternative when a file isn't being used by another program, but you still can't access it.

2018-04-24 09:07:27

@Orko
Because we were all talking about the issue a day before the tweet. Coincidences do happen, but it still seemed a little creepy.

2018-04-24 10:54:31

Ah! I thought he was saying that the program the tweet was about was itself creepy. Ya gotta love the internet!