2018-04-20 22:41:28

I'm posting this here with the permission of the owner of the site I plan to discuss. You guys should go hang out at caferandom.net
There are forums, chat, and a few games, and the admin plans to add more in the future. go have fun smile

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2018-04-21 01:38:34

And you’re posting this because your site didn’t work and you want the attention a topic like this will bring you?

2018-04-21 08:24:55

If you want anyone to join this site you better open it up to non-members. You need to log in to do practically anything on the site (which is utterly ridiculous). If this was a closed site, like for an association (a registered one), or a private government entity, or a private developer system or something like that, I could understand the privacy needs. But for something like this, its completely and utterly unnecessary. Secondly, your terms of service is very, very vague. I'll post it here for all to see:

By accessing this web site, you are agreeing to be bound by these web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this web site are protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.

The materials on Cafe Random's web site are provided "as is". Cafe Random makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, Cafe Random does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.

These two paragraphs are easily found in any terms of service, and there's nothing wrong with them. But here's where the vagueness begins:

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws.   We will permanently ban all users who do so.

Some questions: What defines an "administrator" or "owner"? What defines a "message"? Is a message a forum post? A chat/IM? An opinion? Secondly, what "laws" do you speak of? In total, there are 206 sovereign states worldwide (according to Article 1 of the Montevideo Convention of 1933, in which a state must have: (1) a permanent population, (2) a defined territory, (3) a government, and (4) a capacity to enter into relations with the other states). By saying that you'll ban someone if they violate any "laws", do you mean the laws of the United States? The laws of the European Union? The laws of the United Kingdom? You definitely need to clarify this, and make clear exactly what jurisdiction your site is under. Otherwise, if you don't state what jurisdiction your site is under, or don't state what country its in, your basically saying that the user is bound by the laws of every state (which is impossible since they all conflict with one another).

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.
Likewise, we reserve the right to ban any members, paid or otherwise, for any reason, including but not limited to: infractions to the terms of service or code of conduct listed on the website.

I did see you offered "paid subscriptions". Exactly what do these "paid subscriptions" offer that a "normal subscription" doesn't? Secondly, you don't mention a "code of conduct". Where exactly can we find this "code of conduct"?

Cafe Random may revise these terms of use for its web site at any time without notice. By using this web site you are agreeing to be bound by the then current version of these Terms and Conditions of Use.

Why should I want to be bound by these conditions of use when they are so vague? You say you will immediately ban anyone, permanently I might ad, who posts a "message" which is "obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws." That's quite harsh, don't you think?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-21 19:55:46

Why do I have a feeling the first paragraphs were copied and modified from another user agreement? They were so finely written and I was thinking to myself, wtf is his problem with these? Then the vomit began ...

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2018-04-21 20:23:00

@LordLundin, I copied those paragraphs, unmodified, from the site itself's terms of service displayed during registration.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-22 12:47:46

omg seriously....

get a life, you guys.

Most websites have terms such as these,really and unless you plan on being a dick or troll(or skert  around the edges of the rules as they exist) you wouldnt even bother reading, at least unless a website is really really dodgey,is asking for cash to do anything at all, I usually dont even glance at them. I go with, dont be a dick, troll, and treet others as you would like to be treated.

posts 2 to 3 seriously makes me want a thumbs down button again the way it used to be,alas. but then again I am so disgusted by behaviour like this (sickened more like or perhaps tired or a combination of these lol) I would thumbs down them to iternity so perhaps its a good thing that it doesnt exist.

A few fare questions though, despite the general negativity and nitpicking of the terms of service...
You sir have too much time on your hands lol,
getting back though, if you offer a subscription based service,what does it offer that the normal service doesnt? or is a subscription planned for the future as well?

I may check it out,if I have time.
Have fun,though.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-04-23 09:57:21

This site works very well to me.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2018-04-23 14:55:37

Heres what I don't get.. Why are some people so quick to discourage others?

2018-04-23 15:39:42

because this person in general has a bad rep for hate speech, attention seeking behavior, etc.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-23 15:49:46 (edited by Ethin 2018-04-23 15:51:56)

We can't forget the threats and the impersonations either. God knows she's done it plenty of times to me already. Oh, and we also can't forget the fact that she's already broken her own rules within a day of her first "public site" going, well, public. So I don't exactly know why she's trying again... or wanting money... perhaps she thinks this will work and people will fall for it? Hmmm... sorry... I'm not that dumb. I've got better things to invest my money in that I know I can actually trust.

My Github

2018-04-23 16:10:13

Omg.. What is this person's history, exactly? I'm just curious

2018-04-23 17:08:01

Well, for one thing, she insulted Sam Tupy with a bunch of stuff I don't even want to repeat, and that's bad because I don't mind saying just about anything.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-23 22:06:35

She has repeatedly joined groups I have been in (and have been forced to kick-ban her from) and have tried to convince everyone of her supposed "identity" despite the fact that I, along with the others, repeatedly provided evidence to prove her claims invalid. She has spewed hate speech and rants on her twitter timeline. She has created sites, provided links to them, allowed people to sign up to them, allowed them to use the site, then banned them because of some reason that I cannot fathom, despite the fact that the rules of the site explicitly indicated that she would not do. I would not be surprised if her twitter timeline is one of the more hated timelines on the entire twitter network.

My Github

2018-04-23 22:42:57

I'm jumping on here to say this website got nothing to do with her. the owner is someone else.

follow me on
twitter
now go away, don't talk to me

2018-04-24 00:57:33 (edited by Ethin 2018-04-24 00:58:11)

Really? Because this seems like something she'd do... and she's the only one who's ever talked about this. I think that if this site was liked, she of all people would *not* be posting about it, because she knows how bad her reputation is. I mean, if this site is owned by someone else, fine; but her posting it has already given it a very bad image.

My Github

2018-04-24 22:22:23

I completely agree with you. but yep she is just another user on the site. she is not the owner or nothing.

follow me on
twitter
now go away, don't talk to me