2018-04-21 08:48:57

What do you mean by two pins... I just checked my moto g5 plus, and there only appears to be one.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-04-21 09:07:27

I choose Android for a simple reason: More freedom, more customization, less limitations. Also more tts engines to choose including ESpeak and Eloquence. I do have an iPhone 6S which is my business phone, and I also have an iPod Touch, but I use them quite rarely. Android accessibility can be better (that's for sure), but I can't say that it hasn't improved since Gingerbread which was my first Android version that I was using back in 2012.

2018-04-21 13:25:25

it seems to me from what I'm reading here and from my own personal experience that it comes down to investment versus principle.  Those who are using Android talk about feeling more freedom but having to exercise more effort over their phones.  Those who use iOS are using it because they have tons of apps and, as I do, Apple Music or other subscriptions that work well with the iOS environment, things that we don't necessarily want to move away from, anymore than someone who owns a house and who has no practical reason to leave it would actually do.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-04-21 14:22:26

The thing with 2 pins is the encription who wants a pin before booting and the one you know.
And you forgot some games, who said games ecuivalent on android with these on ios, Crafting kingdom and the sonar interactive cricket game, I forgot its name.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-04-21 14:29:29

Android 9.0 drops support for all tablets? Does this also include custom roms? Woah!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-04-21 14:44:52

I got a phone with Android because my parents weren't willing to pay so much for an iPhone. I was worried it would be bad,, what with all the people claiming how unaccesible it is, but I've since found out it works just fine for me. Sure, it has a few small issues, but nothing that would make it unusable. It is possible that iOS has more and better features, but so far I don't miss anything. My next phone will be one with a stock android, maybe I'll even install Lineage OS on it to try it out.
The player, I think I know what's the issue. When I encrypted my phone I ran into the same problem, you have to enter the pin/password before android starts up. Before you do that nothing can run, not even Talkback, since everything is encrypted and therefor an unreadable mess unless you have the key. It is possible that your phone is encrypted by default. You'll unfortunately have to disable that (the password before startup, not the encryption itself), I believe it's under the security settings. It's not as secure, but at least you'll be able to use your phone normally. You still have to enter the pin for the sim card when you restart the phone and the password to unlock the phone if it's screen turns off, if you set it up like that. Tbh, if you have your screen darkened, that'll already stop most sighted people from trying to use your phone. smile

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2018-04-21 14:56:48

@chris

Yes, 9.0 does indeed drop supportt for Android tablets, except "Chrome OS" ones! Such as the "first-ever" Chrome OS tablet, the Acer Chromebook Tab

I'm not sure if its shipping yet however.

For the latest news on Chrome OS daily, check out

http://chromeunboxed.com/

and

http://chromestory.com

2018-04-21 16:51:41

assault_freak wrote:

What do you mean by two pins... I just checked my moto g5 plus, and there only appears to be one.

You can set a pin, that needs to be entered before the phone starts booting, and one to unlock your screen. Or at least, you can change your settings so, that you would have to enter your pin on both occasions. I just didn't realize, that the display would lock right after the phone has finished booting, and you would have to enter your pin.

Mayana wrote:

The player, I think I know what's the issue. When I encrypted my phone I ran into the same problem, you have to enter the pin/password before android starts up. Before you do that nothing can run, not even Talkback, since everything is encrypted and therefor an unreadable mess unless you have the key. It is possible that your phone is encrypted by default. You'll unfortunately have to disable that (the password before startup, not the encryption itself), I believe it's under the security settings. It's not as secure, but at least you'll be able to use your phone normally. You still have to enter the pin for the sim card when you restart the phone and the password to unlock the phone if it's screen turns off, if you set it up like that. Tbh, if you have your screen darkened, that'll already stop most sighted people from trying to use your phone. smile

Yes, I have set it up like that now. I am still thinking about puting LineageOS onto it though. I wonder, if the phone would run smoother with that rom. Sometimes, especially when entering text, the feedback is a bit sluggish...

2018-04-21 17:11:34

Ah ok. I'm glad you have it sorted in any case.. I've always set up my pin so it works, and never ran into that issue. As for lineage OS, the Moto g5 plus actually runs a pretty clean version of Android, so installing another OS would probably not boost the speed, though it may give you a few more features.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-04-21 17:12:05

I have used both systems, and I like certain things about both. I like the car analogy in some ways. Yes the sports car or android can maybe do some cool things that the iPhone can't, but you have to be someone who enjoys, or is at least ok with tinkering, in order to get the best experience. I first used an android phone years ago when it had ice cream sandwich because it was on sale and was fine with it. I now have an iPhone se and a galaxy s7 because the iPhone doesn't work with the CDMA signal that my family's company uses. I much prefer the music experience of my android, especially with the ability to use the volume controls as next and previous buttons. I currently use the iPhone for reading books, because it has voice dream, but when that breaks, I plan to by the android version of this app. I am learning their are android versions of most of the blind apps I use except for maybe a few games I have tried. I don't use any of the navigation apps anyways, so switching to using my gs 7 for more than just calling when I am in the U.S and U.S specific apps won't be a problem for me. Darwin reader, or whatever is currently outthere is probably free, so my droid would actually be able to be a reliable money reader for once. The "currency" channel never made it in to my version of seeing ai for some reason. The blind specific navigation apps always seemed really expensive, and they don't work in China, so I've never been able to justify paying for them. I found google and asking people usually works well enough, and saves me money. When I work in another country, I might think about them, until I see their prices that is. lol
I have too many old things that only have headphone jacks, or in the case of my braille sense, unreliable bluetooth, and I have never heard of any good cheep bluetooth earbuds, so I want a phone with a headphone jack. I don't like having to cary extra headphones just for my phone, and I go through earbuds sometimes very quickly because I cram them in my pocket and take them everywhere. I see no headphone jack as something seriously inconvenient about any new iPhone, and would much rather have a droid that does everything as the iPhone but allows me to organize my music the way I want to, have expandable memory, and still have my headphone jack. Also, many android phones have been waterproof for awhile now. I will miss my tiny iphone though. I don't think anyone makes phones as small as the se now.

2018-04-22 12:50:18 (edited by Socheat 2018-04-22 12:52:20)

I like Android for a reason. Android is support for my native language which is cool with Google TTS. And, if a manufacturer drop support for their phone models, I can still use it without slowness which bugging me to upgrade like Apple's iPhone does to its user which is annoying for those who live in a developing country like myself. We don't have supports from our government when we want to buy things, so yeah.

2018-04-22 17:14:46 (edited by cj89 2018-04-22 17:16:00)

Yeah I will give google that right off the bat. It seems to be a lot less US central in that that I can do things like ask it for Aussie sport scores and it will tell me all that. Same with simply just wanting to call a business or find out info about it. It just... works. After reading the replies, I think I can get behind that mentality of one option that just works vs another that you can play round with.

2018-04-23 11:54:02

Although most people here - including myself - chose Android over iPhone because of its price and flexibility and ended up losing in terms of accessible games, this might start to change a bit or at least get even, since games that work on Google Home also work on Google Assistant for Android phones. Of course, this is only going to let us play voice-based games, but as I heard someone from my country say once: "To choose is to lose, always!" So unfortunately, you have to lose things to win others, but that doesn't mean it needs to be a bad thing, only a different one.

2018-04-23 12:30:47

Well, at least you can get google assistant on your phone, I can not do that and I do not know why.

2018-04-24 01:45:11

For anyone wishing to download the Google Assistant app for your iOS device, grrab it here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-goo … 1&mt=8
, and for more help see

https://assistant.google.com/

Prefer Alexa on your iOS device? Take a trip on over to

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amazon- … 06951?mt=8

, to grab the Amazon app to use Alexa there.

It seems that you still can't use the "Ask Alexa" feature on iOS devices with the normal Amazon Alexa app itself.

In addition, another app called "Echgo" which you can get from

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/echgo-f … 73666?mt=8

, also supports timers, unlike the Amazon Shopping official app.
NB. It is 3 dollars to download, though it does let ya use that famous "a lady" word to talk to it.

Enjoy!

2018-04-24 04:26:01

@Trenton I assumed there was! an android version of Word war because of Lee hobbs reply in This topic though a bit of googling didn't find any of the other huboodle games on android besides word builder, sorry about the confusion, I will edit the db entry at least for now.
Though btw, other droid games include droid flip, the vipgameszone titles (if they're still available), star traders elite, cyber knights (I believe), the other game from the same company who produce star traders elite, plus there were a couple of rpgs, a pirate one and a japanese one called city of stone or something like that.
Sorry about not being more specific but manifestly I only take a casual note of what is available Android wise.

One issue I do currently have with ios given people have been talking about pins, is the amount of times I have to type in my pin is bloody annoying, randomly Ios decides that my fingerprint isn't enough to unlock my phone so it needs the pin as well.

This would be fine, accept given I'm using vo, the pin isn't particularly secure since potentially anyone could overhear me putting it in. I do get that it's supposed to validate the finger print business, but since if anyone actually were trying to access my Iphone other than me it would've been stolen anyway and I'd  be reporting it to Apple to have it's code invalidated, fingerprint or not.

I do like the fingerprint in terms of ease of unlocking, since its actually a little faster than pressing home on my Iphone 5 was, but I just wish the pin wasn't needed as much, indeed it rather irritated me when setting up my lady's Iphone 6 that I had to go through a huge amount of rigmorole and keep telling Ios "no I don't want to setup a finger print"~ given that the 6 oesn't have a finger print scanner.

one thing I will say though is the lack of a headphone jack is actually far less trouble than I initially thought it was going to be owing to the fact  the usb to 3.5 adapter cable is rather small, and thus easy to carry, and while it does mean I can't use headphones and charge my phone at the same time, in practical purposes this is less trouble  you would  think given that I'd have to use my Iphone for a good long while to actually run down the batteries, and I've not thus far been away from a power point for that long.
It might cause a problem when my lady and I fly to the states and so have an eight hour flight to kill time on, though even then I suspect that unless I literally played games for eight hours straight the battery would still last out anway, particularly since the Iphone 8 seems to have a far more reliable battery than the 5 did even before the battery on my old Iphone 5 started to go screwy.

As to arcadia's comment about "blind aps being expensive", the main "blind ap" I use that is not a game is blind square, and that was the same price as king of dragon pass, indeed it might have gone down now. No monthly subscriptions, no messing about, indeed I will say on Ios at least with the number of say satnav programs available you do have the choice of which to buy and which to support, which is a good thing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-24 05:37:20

For your charging and headphone listening needs, there is a solution. It's a sort of boxy thing that has two lightning ports on one end, and a short cable with the inverse lightning end that goes into your phone on the other. I have one, and its how I can charge and use the headphones or ear buds.

Regarding pins and finger prints, I don't have trouble with it. There is a mandatory pin requirement if you restart your device, but once entered, I only occasionally get a situation where it wants the pin and doesn't accept the fingerprint. The tech is actually quite good imo, and I'm not keen on this face ID stuff, especially for accessibility reasons. I could see this being a lot of trouble, as we wouldn't be able to tell if we're looking at the phone, where our face is in the frame, etc. I wouldn't want to be fiddling around with my phone for 2 minutes each time I wanted to unlock it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-24 05:49:39

If you're worried that your pin will be heard by others when using voiceover, you can use braille screen input if you have it set in your rotor.

The same goes for passwords.

This is of course, if you're not using headphones, in which case it doesn't matter.

2018-04-24 07:00:02

I have the same problem with the pin. Sometimes, I have to enter it to unlock my phone. It just won't recognize my fingerprint. I have an Iphone SE. And for some reason, it always happens in the morning, when it happens. I have the feeling, it restarts itself in the middle of the night.
I also use Blindsquare sometimes. And I hope, that some day, there will be an Android version of this app. When it comes to navigation apps, Android users don't seem to have many choices. And unfortunately, Nearby explorer, only seems to work in the US and Canada...

2018-04-24 07:23:54

@Cooltirk, I'm not sure what you mean by "use braille"
if you mean a braille display for my phone I don't have one.
if you mean the typing braille thing where you use a braille keyboard on the screen, I'd really rather type, though I'd even rather the phone didn't bug me about my pin so much since it seems to do it fairly often.

@Player I suspect that if facial recognition does become a thing there will be a way around simply because there will be a lot of users who don't have the technology, heck I didn't buy an Iphone x myself for that reason. What I am more concerned about is that Apple do have an annoying habbit of making their os bug you about hardware features your device doesn't have, for example my lady's Iphone 6 constantly asks her to setup a fingerprint even though the 6 doesn't have a fingerprint scanner, so if it becomes the same with facial recognition that could get quite irritating.

@Ironcross I'll have to ask about that charge boxy thing you mention, though its not as much a priority at this stage and probably won't be unless I go on some very long journeys.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-24 09:32:55

@41: I do encounter the same problem on Android, sometimes my phone will ask for my pin and refuse to unlock via fingerprint. It doesn't happen too often, but still quite regularly from time to time.

2018-04-24 09:44:48

Hi.
First, Dark, the 6 has a fingerprint, the 5s has one too and I know for sure 6 has one.
Second, can someone help me enabling google assistant on android, pc, Alexa or something, except ios, I can use mac too if needed.

2018-04-24 15:29:43

Incorrect, the 6 does not have a fingerprint scanner, the 6S does though.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-24 16:56:31

Um... actually yes, correct. lol I have a 6, and it does indeed have a fingerprint censor.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-04-24 19:25:03

hmm, well my dad has a 6, and it just unlocks without anything. The few times I"ve done something with his phone, I remember just unlocking it, turning on voice over and doing whatever.

End racism
End division
Become united