2018-04-20 03:35:54 (edited by cj89 2018-04-20 03:37:29)

So I have both an Android and iOS device, but to be honest I'm really torn. I tried Android again recently, and as far as accessibility goes it's actually come a long way. In saying that, I've noticed a few things that make me unsure. Don't worry, iOS I'm coming for you too.
When 1 thing breaks, everything does.
For the first week I tried it, google assistant (something which I use multiple times a day) was working like a charm. I was beginning to become hopeful that I'd finally found something that was doing what I wanted it to. But then...
Updates can be a beautiful thing. From adding more accessibility, to more features, to over bloating an app; who new data mining could be such a large feature? In the case of google assistant, it just.... broke. Dictation in google search broke completely, to the point that literally nothing I said would go into the box. Until the update, I was able to dictate into any field and hit pause as soon as I was done and literally 99 times out of 100 it would get everything I said right down to the letter. After that, pausing would result in holding my dictation until I resumed at which point it would be entered in twice. I'd also noticed that words would be missing, usually the last word I'd said before I hit pause.
If not on par, then spotify would definitely be a close second to one of my most used apps. Around the same time google search broke, the ability to have google play music from spotify did too. Usually you could say "hey google, play enter sandman by Metallica"  or some variation there of, and it would just happened. It got to the point where spotify would open, but would not actually play the song I requested. Instead it would just sit there in the main area and do nothing. Research into both these things didn't yield much. I read that for spotify you could clear it's cache (that seems to be at least a temp thing for most apps) and that would usually fix it. It did, for about a day or so. I did this 3 or 4 times before I started questioning why I continuously had to go through this process.
Delay in features.
I totally understand that Android and iOS are very different beasts to develop for, and that porting things over is not always as easy as 1, 2, 3. As trivial as it might sound to some, what's app's push up to keep recording feature is something I personally use a lot. This was rolled out for iOS at the end of November, with promises of the feature coming to Android soon. At my time of testing, this was mid February with no such feature in sight. My question is, why does it feel like Android still gets absolutely shafted? For something that makes up about 86 percent of the market, I'd think that it would be absolutely within their best interest to pay attention to the platform.
In saying that, the fragmentation of Android definitely makes that a challenging thing. Is that really what's to blame though? In fairness, google are definitely taking steps to try and resolve that, as well as accessibility, It should also be noted that at the time I was running Android 7 on a Galaxy S7 (when preview builds for Android P if not already a thing were at least talked about). Am I just really unlucky? Is stock droid experience really that much better?
I can already hear people telling me that I should just root my phone, but honestly I don't really have a problem with the rest of the samsung stuff. Touchwiz is leagues better than it was in 2012/2013 from what I've been told, and honestly not conforming to killing the 3.5mm jack is actually doing a lot more for me than I would've thought.
iOS/iPhone, is that you hiding back in the corner there? I said I'd get to you, didn't I?
First of all, Siri. Just a monumental piece of garbage (I think most people would be in agreement of that.) Apparently in the creation process of Siri there was a lot of BS which is half the reason it is what it is today.
New phone updates just becoming uninspiring.
I can't really fault anyone for this, but it really seems to stand out with Apple. I'd honestly say that the last big thing was probably Siri. We've had a lot of cool little things with iCloud, iMessage and whatnot, but despite getting an iPhone 8 plus last year, I'm finding it harder and harder to convince people why they should upgrade to the new phone. The thing is though, the same people that have said that are the same people that have already told Apple they're perfectly fine with this (myself included). I will happily admit that I'm contradicting myself quite a bit here, but it's really only now I'm starting to question all this.
Next, the 1 size fits all approach.
"Don't like using this app and feel that for you another one would work better? Want to said this app as a default? Wo there partner, slow down."
Seriously, I feel like I'm literally repeating what someone's surely said word for word at this point. Why do we have to be coddled? I understand that there are *A LOT* of stupid people out there, but really? Admittedly, a lot of stuff in Apple's ecosystem actually does work well. But it's when you get to things like the home pod that really make me question this once again. This time round, I don't think I'm the only one either.
Still on the subject of Apple's ecosystem.
Last week I wanted to copy a series onto my phone that in audio is maybe 7 8 gig. For the first time in ages, I realised that there was no real way of just being able to hook up my phone and have a bunch of files dropped onto my phone. iTunes exists, but boy oh boy is it super anal about how you tag your files. I'm not sitting there checking the ID3 tags on my files (this is not something I should bloody well have to do.) Not for a bit of software I open maybe once every 3 years... anyway. Again, I understand that a lot of these things are niche concerns, and honestly I'm probably just feeling extra grumpy at everything today. lol smile
Voiceover, what's going on?
So up until the last few releases (well, iOS 11 really,) voiceover's been pretty good at being bug free, or at least Apple have been really good at squashing them quickly. I know that it's quite a small team that works on this, and everything takes time, but are we starting to lose out here? Bugs that I've been seeing since as early as 11.1 are still round. Things like the app switcher losing focus, pages not switching and retaining focus (I think this ones been fixed now.) These are really small things, but I don't want this to go the way of Mac OS where voiceover feels more like an afterthought.
I'm sure there's more to all this, and welcome anything you have to say. Am I just being too snarky and not appreciating what we have? Probably. What are your thoughts/experiences?
Cheers

2018-04-20 03:51:22

Touchwiz is annoying, samsung voice ssistant is about stupid. If you use android on a Samsung device, do yourself a favor and switch to talkback. Android has a lot of power and flexibility for those who want to wield it, but you have to almost feel like your carrier is screwing you because they don't release updates for ages. I don't stand for that, so root it is, and then I get them because I go and download, and flash them. That's a bit much for someone who has no inclination, but may be missing out of features because of that fact, so its not really a win win. I use iPhone because they have the user experience nailed. You don't have to ever mess around to get something to work. If an app crashes, its usually a one time thing, or a very specific thing that triggers it, in which case you try to get in contact with the devs. iPhone feels more like a tool to help you get things done, whereas android feels like a sports car, fun to rip around the track, but you're always having to work on it. Does it bother me that Apple are so closed off? Sure, but part of that is to help with quality control. Do I wish they would let third party devs use the NFC functionality, well yeah. You never get these domino effect cascading crashloops in iOS like you can get in android where the whole app stack just goes bye bye.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-20 04:40:59

Yeah I will give iOS another point for the crashing thing. As for Talkback, yeah I switched almost as soon as I got the phone. Neat idea, but imo a little pointless. It's running on an old version of the source (5.1 or something like that.) I like talkback and vo for different reasons. Some might argue that Talkback doesn't have X or Y, but it doesn't necessarily need them. On the other hand, an independent accessibility volume was something Droid users were missing out on for years, and only got in 8. There's still things with VO's API that Android either has the ability to do and just hasn't been implemented by anyone, or doesn't do at all. Voiceover's OCR ability is a neat thing to have, as well as it's rotor. On the other hand, TB doesn't have all this extra stuff that I personally don't use 3 quarters of, but I could see why some would want it. So yeah iOS definitely wins for a lot of people.
Rooting is something I'm not completely dismissing, but again I personally haven't really had a problem with Samsung stuff. There's things that they've improved that I don't think should be relegated to just 1 company though and really should be in the main accessibility API. I'm not sure what the google keyboard is like on 8, but on 7 it felt sluggish and a huge turn off if that's what it's native experience is like. Fortunately though, the Samsung keyboard is on the play store last I checked so good times there.
I do like the sports car analogy though, that's definitely what it feels like.

2018-04-20 04:43:41

I probably would have been happier with Android and I kind of wish I gave it the time to check out. I picked IOS because my friends had it and could help me with Voiceover and to me it seemed like there were more sources out there. I am thinking about looking at Android when it comes time for me to get a new phone. The only thing that would hold me back from switching would be the amount of apps I brought.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2018-04-20 07:06:05

I bought the Moto g5 a while ago. And it actually works pretty well so far. The only reason, that prevents me from using this phone on a daily basis is the fact, that I can't set a pin for my phone, since Talkback only starts, when the phone has finished booting. Apparently, Talkback also prevents me from using a fingerprint to unlock the phone.
Apart from that, the only thing that anoys me so far with Talkback, is the way of marking and copying text. The thing with the local context menu is unnecessarily complicated in my opinion.

2018-04-20 08:18:19

Yeah I've never had any problem with the fingerprint thing, though I'm pretty sure I've seen other moto G users saying that as well so that's strange. I believe with copying you can set that as a shortcut, though honestly that features always seemed a bit limiting as there's only so many gestures available. That's not necessarily a fault of Talkback though, Android is entirely based on using 1 finger. I don't know how, but Talkbacks able to get around it by making 2 fingers count as 1, or something. Maybe someone with more in depth API knowledge can explain that.

2018-04-20 08:18:40

I use android as a daily user. The really only thing I find is a pane is managing old numbers for contacts. Other than that everything works well.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-04-20 08:21:18

I would be interested to try out android, but what has always prevented me is available aps etc for it, there are always new games coming out for Ios, but Android they are much slower, and that is not counting other aps like blind square, aside from the crashing problems mentioned.
I'd love to have a play with an android system just for interests's sake but I don't really feel its a viable alternative to Ios, at least for me, though whether google assistant will change this I don't know, since yes, while Siri is okay for making phone calls and the odd bit of dictation, it is rather annoying that its functionality now is pretty much the same as it was when I got my Iphone 5 in 2012.

The one major downer for me on Ios is the hole iTunes thing since noo as you said Cj I am not going to retag all my files and ignore the folder structure that I've been using for nearly 20 years because iTunes is stupid.
I actually think that this is deliberate on Apple's part, or at least semi deliberate, since manifestly they want you to only be listening to stuff you've bought through the almighty Apple on your phone,  its problematic compability with anything else.
This is quite aside from the fact that iTunes is a bloated sprawlling mess with the trees of doom and no sensible way of cataloguing its waaaaaay too many functions.

I tried to get iTunes to work for me for two years back in 12-14, then I said "to hell with it!" and bought a victor stream, which is my  device for audiobooks and music, while my Iphone exists for games and aps and phony contacty things.

As to the Iphone 8, I will agree having bought an 8 myself that it is quite annoying that the main function it has is mmmmm, not hanging as much as the Iphone 5, that and forcing me to  use an adapter everytime I want to use my earbuds.

That being said I do like the haptic home button for coolness factor and its interesting that aps that heavily rely on  such as blackbox have made use of some of the Iphone 8's extra capacities, whether of course this will continue and someone will do something cool with the increased gyro, facial recognition, finger scanning  etc I'm not sure but at least the option is there, though I will say I was profoundly amused when I bought my Iphone 8 at christmas when Apple attempted to sell me an Iphone x on the basis of its really good facial recognition, when I pointed out "hay I'm visually impared" there was this rather uncomfortable silence followed by "so the 8 will be good for you then?" big_smile.

the other reason I bought an 8 was because of galileo, since damnit I want that one meter satnav! big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-20 08:34:46

Galaxy s8 user with touchwiz and voice assistant... and I love that combination. To whoever said Voice Assistant is stupid, give it another try and spend some decent time with it then tell me that again. Selecting text works beautifully, there are three and even four finger gestures, and best of all, VA has the magic tap that isn't found anywhere outside of IOS.
@ironcross, that's a good analogy. Android is for the car enthusiasts who don't mind taking things apart to figure out why things do or don't work so they can find alternatives, whereas IOS users are the average joes who just want to be able to drive down the street. Both sides are fair, and at the end of the day it's a personal preference. I haven't had any of the issues people are experiencing, and on the rare occasion I do pull out my iphone 6 my s8's speed blows it out of the water. And that's the other thing I love about using Android devices. Hardware which is varied and often better, a decent range of prices, and expandable memory! Who wouldn't want that?
@the player, Talkback only starts after the phone has booted, yes, but you don't need the pin or fingerprint before that, anyway... I use both on my moto g5 plus and love it.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-04-20 12:14:55

@assault_freak
But don't you have a pincode set, to secure your phone? And if yes, how do you enter it without Talkback? I mean, I assume, the pin pops up, before the phone has finished booting. At least, that's what the settings say, when I try to set a pin.
Regarding the fingerprint, my Moto G5 wouldn't even let me set one. Everytime I try, it says that I either have to add a pin or a draw sample as an aditional security measure. I don't know, what the draw sample is called exactly in english. That alone wouldn't be a problem. But I am just concerned, how I am supposed to do that, if I ever have to restart my phone...

2018-04-20 12:21:36

I chose iOS because at the time it was way more accessible than Android. I'm still with iOS because the iPhone works great and I see no reason to buy another phone.

2018-04-20 16:44:34

@the player,, I don't know the exact wording, but the phone definiely finishes booting before needing you to enter the pin. Talkback is already started by the time you need to do that, and yes, I have a pin code set. The fingerprint, just like on the iphone, isn't usable unless you have a pass code set already. I have both set and it works fine, and you have to unlock your phone using the pin in any case every time you restart your phone before you can use the fingerprint censor. Your pin is only required after Talkback starts, and the phone has already booted... what your phone is telling you is that yu need to unlock it before you can have access to the rest of the phone. The pin does not show up mid boot.

2018-04-20 17:35:51

Well, I will agree with assault_freak on the combination, for me it is not the s8, it is the s7 edge, but almost the same, I am just waiting for the android O update to arrive and it will be probably like the s8 plus my mother uses and I play with it sometimes.
I chosen android because at the time, my mom did not have money to buy a new iphone, or even an used one which works good, so, I got the samsung young, „The white brick” called in some situations beccause its resistance, mine was droped from an apartment at the floor 7 and it stil works.
Now, I can buy easily an iphone, but I am pretty much used to the android because I am free to do what I want, because the speed on decent phones and on even new lower end phones is good, I always use a microsd card, so, another thing for me, I can find aniwhere a microusb or even almost aniwhere an usb c cable to charge my phone, I will really miss the headphone jack and more things.
I know ios has more apps for us, it has alot of good things, but for me, that is the way around.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-04-20 18:11:08

I've got a Motorola XT1586 or so (can't remember the exact model number). So far its worked great for me. Ever since I switched to Android I've never touched iTunes. I can deal with the slower releases of android; I'm not going to buy an iPhone and allow myself to be ruled by a company who only cares about itself, its income, and about forcing users who are unwilling to upgrade to the latest devices to upgrade to those latest devices or suffer the consequences, mainly the throttling of device resources (and yes, this is intentional, because you can do this on Android -- run old versions on old phones, or run new versions on old phones, and you don't get throttled either way) and forcing people to practically go into debt because of it. That kind of behavior is crossing the line of civil behavior, and I certainly won't tolerate it. Go android! smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-20 18:31:45

After spending 45 minutes or so using a phone with voice assistant, I really want nothing more to do with it. It's an utter piece of crap. Switch to talkback, phone is usable.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-20 18:48:59

ok time to put my 2 pence worth in.

If we are going to use a car analogy Android would be a Kit Car and IOS would be a Rolls Royce.

Now from my personal experience,

I started with an iPhone 4 s and even though I thought it was amazing iTunes stressed me out to such a degree I then went and bought a Motorola g4, due to the price and great reviews it got.

first thing that struck me was the lack of accessible aps, then I could not get used to talk backs gesture system, it was just not intuitive enough for me. 

the only thing therefor I thought it had 1 over apple was the drag and drop mp3 compacity straight and easy from the pc.

but then this amazing ap was created on the iPhone called voice dream, which has made iTunes obsolete along with the daisy player, all my books, games and music in 1 device, awesome.

now I agree apple is expensive compared to Motorola, but like my wife said, you are blind, treat yourself to the best device out there, you bought me a car have something nice for yourself, and rather trying to save the odd few pound I bought the iPhone 7.

voice dream is the best ap ever created in my opinion and even VLC media player is great as a free alternative.

So I would say if money is tight try Android but if you can afford it, I am sorry apple is the far greater user experience.

2018-04-20 18:55:30

Yep, I would agree, Android can be fun, but its mostly a toy, and its something you can't just rely on that is just gonna work. Apple, for all their faults, have nailed the user experience.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-20 19:47:54

@ironcross, I'm not sure what issues you've been having because Voice assistant is currently my daily driver, not Talkback, and it works beautifully. And Android's user experience is as good as the user makes it, which is good or bad, I suppose, depending on the user. If you just want a nailed user experience out of the box, then Apple is for you. But if you're willing to put in the work and tinker, Android is fantastic.

2018-04-20 19:59:49

@assault_freak
I have just set a pin on my phone. After switching it off and back on again, it wants the pin now, but that comes for me before it has finished booting. I only know, that it wants me to enter a pin, because I checked with Seeing AI. Talkback is definitely not active at that point...

2018-04-20 21:41:13

I think IOS is actually good because of voice over. I know that android has more speech and stuff, but I've heard it's a bit more difficult to use. I've never tried it though so don't get me wrong. lol.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2018-04-20 22:41:41

I would like to try Android at some point, but I don't know if I'd use it on my primary phone. I was actually thinking of buying a Samsung tablet at some point to test it out. The thing is, I've already put a lot of money into IOS apps, which, to my knowledge don't have Android equivalents. These would mostly be games, but, then again, I'd like to experience how the other half lives, if you know what I mean. I hear that Android accessibility has come a long way, and the openness of the platform does appeal to me. It's a hard decision for sure.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-21 00:50:44

@the player, that's weird... because talkback should be on if you left it on when turning it off. Take it into your carier an see what they can do to help you... my moto g5 plus works perfectly well with a pin and fingerprint set up.

2018-04-21 00:51:14 (edited by queenslight 2018-04-21 01:00:31)

Some of the games which you can find on Android (though sligtly different in interface) include:

1. Delight Games
2. Dice World
3. A Blind Legend
4. Word Builder
5. Choice Of Games
6. Audio Game Hub
7. Sonar Interactive Twisted Tales

You can also play (with quite nice results) "Quentin C's Play Room!"

NB. Word Builder is now on Android, thogh not any of the other titles at this time, like a page on Audio Games.net claims.
Nothing beats "Podcast Adict" for listening to podcasts, in addition to "VLC" or "Samsung Music Player" (if getting samsung") for music listening.

As for what device ya should get for a tablet, any samsung tablet running at least running Android 7.0 or higher, since Android 9.0 (Android P) is dropping support for "Android Tablets."

You can find a great list of tablets here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androi … 68082/amp/

As for what's replacing Android Tablets? That'd be "Chromebooks," featuring Android app support and the "Chromevox" and "Talkback" screen readers.

http://www.chromevox.com

For aa great list of Chromebooks you could look at, check out the below link:

https://thedroidguy.com/2018/03/5-best- … 18-1076612

2018-04-21 01:14:28

Yes this is strange, pin is perfectly accessible.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-21 06:01:42

@assault_freak:
It works now. I didn't realize, that there were actually two pins. Now, I have one set, only to unlock the display. And the display gets locked, right after the phone has finished booting.
I wonder, if this is like that with all android phones, except the samsung phones. I mean, would it be different, if I would flash something like LineageOS onto it?