2008-08-14 09:02:00

I've recently came across a problem with my internet. It sometimes creates huge lag out of thin air, people on my skype say I'm breaking up, and i generally can't download with speeds greater than 20 kb/sec. Now here comes the weird part. none of my other family members in the house has it, and i can see so since even the connecting to and downloading from my local network server is slow. It also doesn't seem to slow down the computer at all, just he internet. sometimes it's completely gone for a while but it just comes back.
This is probably some weird virus, but I'm wondering, has anyone else hd problems like mine? and if so, what is there to do?
I'm wanting the fast internet i used to have again as the newest version of topSpeed will be around the corner and I'd like to play that online, and I'm basically sick of taking half an hour or more to download a simple file, that sometimes even just stops downloading and says it's finished but it really isn't.
I'll be trying to remove the thing with my dad this evening, so if it happens to get removed, i'll tell you all what to do as to help people who in the future might run across this issue.
My virus scanner does not detect anything wrong as far as i see.
Thanks and hope someone will have something to resolve the thing,
Arjan.

2008-08-14 10:29:58

Hmm unusual. Your computer not being slowed down rules out a CPU cycle eater, and the fact taht other people in the same house (presumably on the same internet connection) don't have any issues implies it isn't something actually jamming up the connection itslef. Then again would other people notice? For web sites and stuff 20kb/sec is not bad, in fact it's more than good enough for browsing and so on. Are you the only person who really downloads files?

I've also known some very strange things happen with corruption from within Windows, at one point I had both laptop and desktop that completely froze when they made a dial up connection... before I had broadband naturally.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-14 11:20:06

hmmm I don't know I had a similar problem caused by another reason though, I can't do anything at the moment. In sweden I use a wireless network called 3, You plug a small device in to the computer and it searches for their network and allows you to connect. Well I use system access to connect because their connect app is inaccessible with jfw, and I experience such slow speeds as 6kb/s, And I need to wait up to 2 hours for a 50 meg file to download success fully. the full actual speed is, 7mb/s, and my dad tolled me that those marvelus speed decreases are caused by many users connecting at the same time. For example in miriani my commands are issued after 3 to 10 seconds, and same wifth the output, it gets to me after 3 to 10 seconds, rendering the game inplayable. I really look forward to returning to poland, where I have my 1 meg connection over the router, I get my full speed no matter if there's a lot of people or not!
And there's some kind of firewall that prevents outlook from sending mail, it can only receive. thanks for my gmail account I can still reply and send messages.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2008-08-14 12:18:08

The lag with muds is unlikely to be connection speed, etc. Often mud servers experience lag because of processing delays.

Also there is no 7 mb/s connection, you're thinking mbps. There is a major difference between mbps and mb/s - here it is.

Bytes are the smallest unit of measure a computer can use for storage, and so are used for file sizes. This includes the variations of kilobytes kb, megabyte mb and gigabyte gb. In transfer rate you'll notice a slash, for example kb/s for kilobytes per second.

In communications however a "bit" is actually useful. A bit is one 0 or 1, where a byte is a group of 8. You can't really store much in a bit, but it can be used for various things in making sure your information gets where it needs to be. Thus network connections are measured in bits per second or bps. Again there are variations such as kilobits per second kbps or megabits per second mbps.

This means 8MBPS can only give you 1 mb/s maximum, or 1024kb/s.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-14 14:11:31

Okay, my go with this issue...
- Run Windows Update and at least install all essential updates (you could leave SP3 alone, though).
- Run another virus scanner. There are some online scanners out there too. For example, check:
http://www.f-secure.com/
- If this doesn't work, check that if another user on your network uploads huge amounts of data. Usually, unlimited uploading slows down the whole internet.
- Try to get the latest version of your network card drivers.
- To go for some more advanced stuff, launch netstat via a command prompt and see who actually bites your bones.

2008-08-16 08:35:52

sorry. It wasn't a virus, it was a network card that probably got damaged by an electromagnetic pulse of the recent lightning around here. i got a new card and it's fixed.

2008-08-17 18:52:47

Ah, that makes more sense. I was wondering how a virus would slow down your Internet access, but that makes more sense. AFter all, components get damaged all the time.